• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechacon VI Brawl Singles - July 17 & 18 - New Orleans, LA - ($500 POT BONUS!!!)

'V'

Smash Lord
Mechacon is throwing money at us!!!

Yep, you heard right. Mechacon is throwing 500 U.S. DOLLARS into the pot for a Brawl Singles tournament, so put on your serious game faces. This is gonna be long and wild ride.

LOCATION: New Orleans Marriott - 555 Canal Street - New Orleans, LA 70130

- Sign-ups start as soon as the venue opens on Saturday.

- Entry fee is $10. This will be added to the $500 dollars and will be split at the end. As far as I know, tourney players only need to pay the tourney fee to enter the convention. I'll keep you posted.

- 60/30/10 pot spilt for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively

- Tourney starts at 1:00 p.m on Saturday. DON'T BE LATE!!!

- Swiss Pools to Double Elimination Bracket

- Top 8 players play on Sunday, the following day.

RULES:

-3 Stocks; 6 Minutes (Ties by percent/stock)
-1v1; All items off and set to None
-Bring Your Own Controller - No Turbo Functions
-Advanced Slob Picks
-Stage Striking for first pick
-Stage Bans: Each player may ban one stage after stage striking occurs
-Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: A player/ team may not pick a stage that he won on previously in a set
-Suicide Rule: For Ganon and Bowser, it will always count as a win. For everyone else, a definite win or loss means a win or loss. Sudden Death means the person who initiated the suicide move gets the win.
-R-P-S for port priority.
-Infinites may last for as long as they want.
-No Ledge Grab Limit
-No Codesets or Hacks
-No pausing during a match
-Meta Knight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned.

PROCEDURE:

Each section will have a set number of participants. All participants should be present during their section’s competition. In each section, the competitors will be split into pools in where they will compete against each other.

Each competitor will play two full games against each other competitor in their pool. Wins will be awarded to the winning player. In the result of a draw game, neither player will be awarded a point. For example, if Player A defeats Player B in game one and game two results in a draw, Player A will have received one point and Player B received none (zero).

At the conclusion of pool play for the active section, the eight players with the best records will be placed into a small bracket and seeded according to their record. This bracket will be a small double elimination bracket. Matches will consist of a set of best two of three games. Upon completing these brackets, the Top 2 participants will move on to the final bracket: first place receiving winners seeding and second place receiving losers seeding.

For all Top 8 brackets in finals and sectionals, the participant coming from the loser’s bracket in the grand finals must defeat the winner’s bracket champion in two sets. The participant advancing from the loser’s bracket must defeat the champion of the winner’s bracket in two sets in order to place first in his section.
In sectional brackets, ALL matches are best two of three. In the final bracket, all finals matchups will be best three of five (Winner’s, Loser’s and Grand). As before, the participant advancing from the loser’s finals to grand finals must defeat his opponent in two sets.

When your match is called out, you are expected to be at the specified station within five minutes of being called. At the five minute mark, your name will be called once more. If you are not present within thirty seconds, you will receive a loss for that match, resulting in either being moved to the loser’s bracket or a tournament loss in bracket play or a loss for both games in pool play.
If you need to leave the tournament room for ANY reason, please inform the tournament director, a tournament assistant, or your pool operator. They will attempt to accommodate you as much as possible.

STAGE STRIKING:

We will use STAGE STRIKING to start the set. NOT RANDOM. Basically, Player A chooses one stage from the Starter list that he doesn't want to play. Player B picks a stage he doesn't want from the remaining list. Players A & B alternate until only one stage is left. This is the stage for the first match.

STAGE LIST:

Starter

Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island

Counterpick

Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Banned

The rest

SETUPS: There will be 6 setups ready for it as far as I know, I'll keep you posted. I will bring my Wii and Brawl just in case. Others should do the same with their setups.

These rules are subject to change. When they do, I'll let everyone know.

I hope people will come to this. At least to have some fun. :chuckle:

Curlz

Smash Lord
I think the only reason people wouldn't come to this is because its so last minute that it has not time to get hyped. But I'll be coming for sure!

As for problems with the rules. 2 stocks. 'nuff said. Also, since there's AT LEAST $500, it should split to top 8. Especially since its $10 per person. For each 10 people its an extra $100. Last year's tourny got 104 people. That's $1,040 if we get the same turnout plus the $500 to make $1,540 altogether. With the 60/30/10 split, first place would get $924! That's stupid high. Share the wealth. xD

If we think realistically and say we only get 50 people. That's a $1k prize. With the 60/30/10 split, its still a ridiculously high amount.

-Ran

Smash Master
The split is bad.

Singles:
1-19 players = 80 / 20
20 - 39 players = 60 / 30 / 10
40 - 79 players = 55 / 30 / 10 / 5
80-99 players = 55 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 2.5
120+ players = 50 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 3⅓ / 3⅓ / 1⅔ / 1⅔

Doubles:
1-9 teams = 80 / 20
10 - 19 teams = 60 / 30 / 10
20 - 39 teams = 55 / 30 / 10 / 5
40-59 teams = 55 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 2.5
60+ teams = 50 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 3⅓ / 3⅓ / 1⅔ / 1⅔

Since there's 500 more in the pot, I'd say skip down to the next bracket for the players that are there.

Lee Ninja'ed me with info I didn't know.

'V'

Smash Lord
Just letting everyone know, I agree with all of these issues. I'll talk more with Gary about these. And it is indeed very short notice. I just found out about this yesterday.

Hyro

Smash Lord
clearly not everyones gonna pay $10 to enter...its prolly just gonna be us lol

pot 60/30/10 stop crying nubs just practice

Pritch

Smash Lord
I wish anime con melee tournaments had had pots like this back in the day. Even big **** like megacon back in Fl mostly just had random swag as payout - usually there wasn't any cash at all.

Hyro

Smash Lord
no **** you ally thats our money back the **** up

-Ran

Smash Master
I guess it's time I become the best in the state.

Now to go find my Fairy Godmother.

'V'

Smash Lord
So the split is going to remain the same?
GAY!
I guess it's time I become the best in the state.

Now to go find my Fairy Godmother.
Better bust out those Meta Knights and Snakes and unleash some serious gayness.

This is SERIOUS business.

Edit: For the record, I am not entering this tourney. I'm focusing my full attention on making sure this thing runs as smoothly as possible. Plus I wanna do other stuff anyway.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Ok, so the top 8 have to play Sunday. Do they have to pay for a pass for Sunday if they don't have the 3-day pass?

Need to know which is less expensive: Buying a 3-day pass, or buying just a Saturday pass (and Sunday pass if mandatory).

Or they never check them like last time.

So much money on the line... Am I actually going to practice so I can get at least 3rd?

EDIT: Found the prices, it's best to just get a Sunday pass if they actually care.

Curlz

Smash Lord
They're probably going to actually check for the passes this year because there's actual money on the line for this and they don't want people crashing it.

Prices are on the Doubles thread if you need a reference for that.

Top Bottom