• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #6: Kirby

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
For those who missed the first four, consider:
-Strengths/weaknesses
-Matchups
-Tournament performance
-Current tier list placement and potential for the future

:)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Kirby is a very interesting character. Many think he's overrated, others think he's underrated.

One thing is for sure, he's one of the better characters in the game, has little disadvantageous matchups, and those that are, are usually not going into any extreme.

His good recovery, solid offstage game and his copy ability all are speaking a lot for his strengths, not to mention his ungodly Smashes and that terrifying hammer (should it ever hit). He performs very well both on the ground and in the air, and a good grab game, though he has not a too stellar ledge game, as far as I know.

His biggest weakness is most likely that he is rather easily predicted, since he relies on a rather small pool of moves in most occasions, as most others are rather situational or plain bad.

I don't know much about his defensive options, though I haven't seen many players using Kirby more defensively.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I dunno, I would say GW and ICs beat him pretty badly. I've yet to lose to a kirby, including chu. Aside from those match-ups he can do well against most of the cast though I think.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I'm not sure on these, to be honest. I haven't seen a match between a good G&W and Kirby, and I don't know G&W that well; and ICs are one of those disadvantageous matchups I've named, though I don't think Kirby does too terribly against the ICs.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
What Joel said.

Personally, I think Kirby is a little bit under-rated. He's a very solid character who unfortunately suffers a bit from lack of approach options and predictability, but so do most characters in Brawl.

He has the tools to be very good in the right hands, and has few bad matchups (only IC's really come to mind). He's definitely not a top tier, but I feel that he is under-appreciated, currently being ranked below Pit and ZSS. It's a tough call though, because some of those characters are really close.

Honestly, I think that we should separate mid-tier out a bit and move some of the higher mid-tier characters into a "high" tier of their own, but that's another conversation.

If he moves up, it shouldn't be by too much, but I think he might deserve a spot or two.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Yes I do agree, think Kirby is one of those characters who is solid, and is just barely out of reach of hitting high tier.
he's better than others below him but not as good as those in high tier.
I do think that he is under appreciated, I think that might stem from his poor tier placing in the last game (hence why everyone is quicker to say bad than good)

I do think he has problems with characters such as G&W and IC's and Marth.
nothing such as a hard counter but can be problematic to him though still winnable for him.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Also, I forgot to mention - Kirby is one of those characters able to time out a game very easily against quite a few characters if the Kirby player tries to play keep-away and spaces correctly.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Kirby, I think, is either right where he should be or 1-2 spots lower.

He has a few problems. He has spacing issues on the ground, low mobility, weakness to projectiles, and has a very limited moveset.

Spacing: He has mediocre spacing at best. His d-tilt and f-tilt have ok range, but they aren't great. His bair is a good spacing tool, but it is easy to run under it when it is Full Hopped and punish whatever is going to happen. It isn't like Pikachu where he has speed to combat his poor spacing, he just kinda gets wrecked for it.

Low Mobility: Kirby doesn't move fast in the air or on the ground. His movements have to be very deliberate and there isn't much room for mindgames compared to other characters. He also doesn't have many combos in actuality (F-throw uair is the only legit part of his combo at 0%, it can be SDIed out of by every character) so he is a character that relies mainly on one or two hits at a time and possibly a gimp.

Projectile weakness: Because of Kirby's low mobility he seems to get destroyed by a lot of projectiles. I know Pikachu can easily time out a Kirby because Kirby simply doesn't have an answer for it aside from shield. It is hard for Kirby to get in and he doesn't have any long range attacks to really counter-act it. It is sad indeed.

Limited Moveset: Kirby only has a few viable moves: F-smash, D-smash, Dair, Bair, U-tilt, and F-tilt. His other moves just don't cut it. However, all these moves are pretty good so it balances out in how it works. However, with the limited options Kirby has, it is very easy to predict what he is going to do, much more-so than other characters. It is also bad because it is fairly easy to punish.

Kirby does also have quite a few pros on his side, including offstage prowess, kill potential, and recovery.

Kirby has 4 or 5 mid-air jumps, along with hammer to give him an extra little horizontal boost. He will rarely get gimped and he only does when he uses his jumps carelessly and gets hit out of his up-b, sending him too far to land on the stage with an up-b. Few dare to go after a Kirby offstage because of his amazing offstage game. His dair-footstool is guaranteed on a bunch of characters and his inhale-footstool works on a bunch of people as well. Bair is also a strong move to switch the position that he was just in.

Kirby also has amazing kill potential, but this clashes with his predictability. Once at 90+% as a lightweight, it is easy to tell when Kirby is going to throw out a kill move (Mostly F-smash). When you are landing and the Kirby is walking back and forth, he is going to try to F-smash your landing. I think the kill potential and predictability balance out to a still slightly positive ending, but don't think that Kirby will always be scoring easy kills, it is definitely not the case.

Dekar173

Justice Man
His dair-footstool is guaranteed on a bunch of characters
You mention SDIing the gonzo combo but refuse to SDI his dair?!?!!?

Wtf esam!!!

I agree a lot though, Kirby seems to get shut down for lacking an approach. When you camp him, it sort of ***** his entire moveset, but at the same time I haven't played Chu so I feel I'm missing out on something :(

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
rofl

Anyway, I also feel that characters that out space/out zone kirby can easily just keep him out, because he simply doesn't have any awesome movement capabilities to get him in, either horizontally or vertically. This means Kirby has to rely on a subpar camping game (though Bair/Utilt are pretty legit) and just can't compete with the top. His amazing hitboxes do allow him to handle characters around and below him well.

He's also heavily susceptible to footstools offstage, and being edge-guarded. I gimp Kirby all the time.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Pierce said everything I wanted to say.

I beat Kirby just by camping and waiting for him to approach, then meeting him in the middle with superior, disjointed range. He just can't compete unless his enemy comes to him.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Fair enough Dekar.

Chu really isn't that special. I was auto-piloting and still beat him first match in our MM before an MLG match was called.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Does that mean that Chu isn't special or that Kirby isn't special? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I've always felt that Kirby was a better G&W.
Very linear gameplay, able to capitalize on reads with crazy strong kill moves, but readable and without enough options at times.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Being camped sucks for us, and going against disjointes hitboxes too. We get around that stuff thanks to shielddashing and baiting, but in actuality, Kirby doesn't have much that he can do against characters who revolve around that kind of thing. He doesn't have any hopeless matchups, but ICs, Marths, G&Ws and unrestricted MKs (unless the tourney has anti-planking rules) usually make things very hard for him.

I believe he's around his perfect tier position, but in my opinion, he should be over ZSS and Pit (maybe even TL, but like I said, that's just me). He outright is a better character than most in his tier, and can compete fairly well against a number of higher tier'd characters, but he doesn't have the same time:rewards balance as the higher tiers.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kirby can play the shieldgrab card pretty well too, man.

Or I dunno... He could also space ff'd bairs, or crossovers, or ftilt, or dtilt (which makes him smaller than a crouch, able to avoid a lot of grabs), or simply just try and grab you before you grab him.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Shush, you're ruining it. But honestly, he has to approach me, or I'm going to just spam him to death, so shield grab has been working pretty good so far. Generally Bair loses to my Fsmash, and he never lands out of range of at least one of my moves even when he spaces it, so he has to run or be punished which is fine with me, since I get to spam some more.

Overall, I think Kirby is fine where he's at. His tier need to be reorganized a little, but he's not bad, just not amazing either.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Kirby's got a good dash grab as well. You can't shield grab everything kirby does. And if Bair is spaced well, it isn't shield grabbable by most characters.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I think he's perfect where he is. He could be above pit, but I don't think he's better than ZSS or Toon Link. And rob should be above him, perhaps.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Shush, you're ruining it. But honestly, he has to approach me, or I'm going to just spam him to death, so shield grab has been working pretty good so far. Generally Bair loses to my Fsmash, and he never lands out of range of at least one of my moves even when he spaces it, so he has to run or be punished which is fine with me, since I get to spam some more.

Overall, I think Kirby is fine where he's at. His tier need to be reorganized a little, but he's not bad, just not amazing either.
Well man, your character has an advantage over us. You can camp, have ranged hitboxes, and a good grab. It's no wonder why you look at Kirby that way. ;)

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10418148&postcount=11

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Oh I don't think he's crappy or anything. I know the matchup. Just overall, I don't have a lot to say about him. The matchup between our characters is extremely one dimensional and so I don't ever get much practice in it with anyone else because ROB works just fine. From what I know from Kirby players I've spoken to or played with, he seems pretty much in the same department as the rest of his tier, in that one or two characters are really keeping him down, but he does decent against most of the rest of the cast. He has options, but he's pretty much relegated to his current position until the metagame shifts more in his favor.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Oh I don't think he's crappy or anything. I know the matchup. Just overall, I don't have a lot to say about him. The matchup between our characters is extremely one dimensional and so I don't ever get much practice in it with anyone else because ROB works just fine. From what I know from Kirby players I've spoken to or played with, he seems pretty much in the same department as the rest of his tier, in that one or two characters are really keeping him down, but he does decent against most of the rest of the cast. He has options, but he's pretty much relegated to his current position until the metagame shifts more in his favor.
Yep, that's about it.

The reason why I say Kirby's better than ZSS... He has a good grab. ZSS suffers against shieldcampers, and any character can shieldcamp. Kirby suffers against disjoints and campers, and not every character has access to both... In the same sense ZSS can bypass some shieldcamping situations, Kirby can bypass camping/spacing situations. Kirby also has a more flexible recovery, he can stall a bit outside before going in, while ZSS is forced to not waste precious time because she doesn't have the luxury of either having multiple jumps/floaty properties... And what with being a tether and all, if she uses her downB at any moment and is knocked back offstage a 2nd time, that's it for her, while Kirby's floaty properties and multiple jumps (as well as sideB while recovering to earn some extra horizontal distance) make it much easier for him to return and harder to be edgeguarded... Plus his infamous offstage game.

ZSS might be able to space safely with her attacks, but her weakness being shieldcampy playstyles, no matter how much she spaces, she'll still find opponents shielding more often than not (and like i said, almost every character can shieldcamp). Kirby's weakness to disjoints and projectiles is exploited by less characters, and he runs less risk by shielddashing than ZSS does by attempting a grab/close-ranged attack to catch them offguard.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I've always felt that Kirby was a better G&W.
Very linear gameplay, able to capitalize on reads with crazy strong kill moves, but readable and without enough options at times.
Kirby and G&W really aren't similar at all other than both being "easy" to play on a superficial level and the fact that Kirby has a single move (fsmash) on the kill power level of all of G&W's smashes. I think of pretty much everything good about Mr. Game & Watch (high mobility, extreme disjoints, charge release gimmicks on smashes, the million ways Fire is a good move), and I don't think Kirby has anything like them. I think of the good stuff Kirby has, and I'm seeing stuff that is fitting in G&W's weaknesses. For instance, Kirby has a fairly strong grab game while G&W's is pretty lousy. Kirby has moves that kinda lead into each other which is the biggest thing G&W just doesn't have. The biggest thing is that among the cast G&W is definitely a playstyle outlier which is not a way I'd describe Kirby at all.

I really think Kirby is mostly a good, well-rounded character that focuses a lot on basics, much more of a "Mario" than Mario himself. The listed weaknesses, losing to disjoints and camping, are kinda common among a huge chunk of the cast if not everyone. This is more about just how Brawl works in general; having big disjointed hitboxes and strong camping potential are really good, and while Kirby can win against it, it's going to be hard and not really in a way that I feel is unique to Kirby. Even the best of characters can have trouble getting around disjoints or getting camped out when the other guy is playing right, and Kirby is definitely way better at dealing with these things than most random low tiers.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Peach's fsmash completely annihilates Kirby's bair. It's absolutely fantastic. And EC Peaches don't know how to stutter step Fsmash, which is why they lose to Marth and Kirby >_>

I'm not even kidding about that statement.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Peach's fsmash completely annihilates Kirby's bair. It's absolutely fantastic. And EC Peaches don't know how to stutter step Fsmash, which is why they lose to Marth and Kirby >_>

I'm not even kidding about that statement.
Eh, it would depend on when you decide to fsmash. Kirby can just, you know, run in and shieldgrab. It's got some pre-tty deceptive range... Or, maybe even just ftilt.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
if Kirby is in the air with his back facing Peach, if he's high, stand still and prepare to ftilt, if he's less than a head height above her head, stutter step back and fsmash. He can't bair through it if you're spacing it, and he can't jump through the ground and rush a shieldgrab fast enough (very little landing lag) if he baits it.

It's not the end-all-be-all of the matchup, but most Kirbies seem to think bair shuts her down, and if she spaces fsmash she can cut through it like butter.

swordgard

Smash Hero
if Kirby is in the air with his back facing Peach, if he's high, stand still and prepare to ftilt, if he's less than a head height above her head, stutter step back and fsmash. He can't bair through it if you're spacing it, and he can't jump through the ground and rush a shieldgrab fast enough (very little landing lag) if he baits it.

It's not the end-all-be-all of the matchup, but most Kirbies seem to think bair shuts her down, and if she spaces fsmash she can cut through it like butter.
Isn't this like trying to fsmash a tornado. It only works as long as they are predictable with it?

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Chu kicked my *** last weekend! Someone teach me how to beat him!

Chu thinks Kirby does just fine against MK. He also has a pretty solid win record against a large amount of MK's. Kirby does well against Snake, Falco, and Wario as well. Not sure about Diddy.

I do know he gets pretty wrecked by IC's and Olimar. Meep and PS was one of the reasons why Chu was about to quit the game.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323

Chu thinks Kirby does just fine against MK. He also has a pretty solid win record against a large amount of MK's. Kirby does well against Snake, Falco, and Wario as well. Not sure about Diddy.

I do know he gets pretty wrecked by IC's and Olimar. Meep and PS was one of the reasons why Chu was about to quit the game.
I want to play Chu :-/

I play t1mmy on a regular basis, but when I'm spacing and waiting for him to approach, idk how Kirby is supposed to deal with the MK match up. Mix ups and mind games only go so far with the number of options he has.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, Kirby doesn't do so hot against Olimar, but it's nothing drastic. He does do extremely well against Falco, however, and iirc many consider it one of Falco's hardest matchups.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

Yeah, I agree with you. Many kirbies are one-dimensional in how they view matchups, and once they pop into the kirby boards' MU discussions and conclude it with "goals for this matchup: space bair (insert anything else here)", I feel like just jumping in and telling everyone that no matchup is won by simply spacing bairs, then expanding a LOT about why spacing bairs is not always the best idea.

But, just like you can stutter-step an fsmash to our predictable bairs, we can RAR bair predictable Peach moves. So, the goal for us both is: don't be predictable. ;)

I've never had problems against MK either. In PR, I 3-stock the non-power ranked MKs all the time as Kirby, and only get beaten by the best of the best here. Only way it turns into a hopeless match-up is when MK can have unlimited ledge game. Kirby has no answer to that at all, except maybe jumping offstage and baiting MK into attacking him, then punishing MK for stopping his planking (which is very risky and not guaranteed to get him to stop planking).

Count

Smash Champion
I don't know about Chu, but at least when I played t1mmy he wasn't close to Y.b.M.'s level.

Y.b.M. and I both agree that Diddy beats kirby but it is close. Kirby has an extremely difficult time approaching, but kirby can gimp diddy better than most characters. Probably slight advantage Diddy (55-45)

edit: I feel like MK shuts down kirby once mk gets the matchup down..there was a point where Y.b.M. was beating OS and Kel (probably not consistently, but some) but now I'd say Kel/OS nearly always win. This could be because one or the other got better, but I know OS doesn't practice much. He could probably elaborate on this.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Omni, to beat Chu, camp Fsmash, retreating Fair, retreating pivot grab, and instead of Dtilting when he dashes at you, Dash Grab instead, because he's GOING to shield. Juggle him a bit, be active in your edgeguard, and don't worry about Fairing his shield instead of airdodging to the ground, because his kill moves are too slow to punish this option, whereas an airdodge can be read and punished.

That's basically it . . .

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
but sometimes he mixes dash shield with dash sidestep. :( i call that the shadow cuz that's like the staple of his mk play

then i whiff and he uptilts me to **** to b-air and im like :(

Overswarm

is laughing at you
edit: I feel like MK shuts down kirby once mk gets the matchup down..there was a point where Y.b.M. was beating OS and Kel (probably not consistently, but some) but now I'd say Kel/OS nearly always win. This could be because one or the other got better, but I know OS doesn't practice much. He could probably elaborate on this.
Y.b.M. beat me in a set in the Grand Finals at Nope's.

I sat down and thought about it.

I came back to Grand Finals and just camped. Whenever he approached, I'd retreating dair. Whenever he approached vertically, I'd retreating dair unless he would over-commit, then I'd just fall into him and dair him.

When he made an opening, I hit him with a nair.

Whenever he jumped towards me, I'd grounded up+b.

Whenever I was having trouble / was trapped, tornado above and through him (so he can't f-smash me out of it). Whenever I had to get hit with something, set it up to get hit with u-air.

I won the grand finals.

Pretty easy matchup to mentally prepare for.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Kirby MK is a stupid match up for Kirby, it's like Kirby is fighting himself, except he's better in every way and he has a sword!!!

I think Kirby is fine where he is on the tier list. I think he may drop one or two spots on the tier list, but not much more.

I don't see Kirby players steal powers in certain match ups. It would help a lot, especially if he steals a projectile.

Top Bottom