• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Rediscussion: Pokemon Trainer

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Im still on vacation, but I found a computer (with horrible internet) so I thought Id visit here and make a re-discussion ;d. Also, no PT picture, it takes too long to load them hehe.

So let's re-rediscuss ;D. But first, tha rules (copyright of Rickerdy-doo-da-day):

As the number of characters left to discuss in the Peach Weekly Match-Up Discussion thread begins to dwindle, I've have decided to start up topics for rediscussing characters who I feel may need to be covered again. This is primarily due to potential changes in the match up, new discoveries, new tactics and how they may have affected the match up. Also, for some characters, because they were discussed a long time ago, they may be out of date

Now because I can't trust some of you on this board, I'm going to copy/paste these rules on all of these rediscussion threads:

-SUPPORT YOUR CLAIMS WITH EXAMPLES/EVIDENCE/THOUGHT/VIDEO. Do not say "Snake beats Peach" or "Peach owns Wolf" or something out of the blue without explaining why, you are just wasting thread space. Keep intelligent discussion.

-We are here to learn, not fight. We're all trying to become better Peach players, so please don't get into over heated discussions - learn and be reasonable.

-This thread serves two purposes. A) To determine how the matchup goes for Peach. B) To determine how to handle the matchup. So not only post why you think it goes (see guideline below), but post strategies and what you do that works.

-Feel free to add really good tactics you discover of a character already discussed. New tactics are helpful and don't think just because its already been discussed not to add anything, or we will never get better information on the matchup as the meta game progresses!

- PLEASE let me know if you want me to highlight anything from the thread discussion into that respective character's "summary" on this page. I'm not always sure whats the best advice and whats not so help point it out to me for me to highlight

- Attempting to ridicule someone to prove your point will not be tolerated. It disgusts me when people try to do this. If someone struggles with something and you don't or if someone thinks the match up is such and such because of this and you think 'well you can do this and this, why are they saying that?' for the love of god, explain to them your viewpoint. Insults such as 'well your air game must suck if you find this hard' are pathetic, childish and I will mostly likely disregard whatever else you have to say

I wish I didn't have to feel the need to do this as it clusters up the OP of each of these topics and someones going to have a cry about me putting this but sadly, I can't trust some of you. I don't care about personal feuds or the like. Keep the discussion match up related ok?

Pokemon Trainer

Gotta catch them all!

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
LMAO Yaaay, massive fail. Keep that as incriminating evidence Meno :p
WHO'S THAT POKEMON!?
...Yoshiiiii?
Ok soooo

Squirtle - The best of the trio and the most irritating imo. He's like Wario but his aerials have more reach and his aerial mobility isn't as good (I think it might be his acceleration that isn't as good, could someone confirm that for me?). His aerials are very deadly, a surprise Fair can kill you very easily off the sides. He's got a decent grab coupled with a strong D Throw. You really have to be defensive with Fair, F Smash and F Tilt from my experience. Also, a useful trick someone once told me was to drop your shield and D Smash any Squirtles who try to land near you when bringing on aerial pressure. Peach's Dair stops pretty much all of Squirtles ground moves so he'll want to be in the air for the whole match up using Fair and Bair to bat her away and juggle her with Uairs. Watch out for his Up Smash and shellshifting shenanigans, they can really catch you off guard if you're not careful
I'd love someone to prove me wrong but I've found using Bair the same way I do vs Wario gets me destroyed by Squirtles aerials. They're much stronger and much more long ranged. Bair camping simply does not seem to work

Ivysaur - Seriously lets Pokemon Trainer down imo. Peach wrecks her. Poor OoS options, a tether grab, dreadful recovery...the PT I fight will sometimes just switch straight to Charizard if hes having a bad day. You have to watch out for F Smash and Bair though. F Smash is strong and has deceptive range. Bair serves as Ivysaur's 'spacing aerial' like lots of other characters Bair. She'll use it to keep you at bay. If she's spacing Bair, pull up a Turnip and use it to cover your approach. Shield the Bair and try getting inside her. It can be somewhat troublesome with Razor Leaf and Bair but once you get in to CQC vs Ivysaur, you'll wreck her. Oh and be careful of Up Smash/Dair, they can be surprise killers too

Charizard - A pain in the arse and irritating to fight. Rock Smash eats what you do and he lunges forward when he grabs, giving him a large grab range. Throws Turnips and space with Fairs. If he goes for a shield grab/Rock Smash, use your double jump to buy yourself some time in the air to punish the whiffed attack. Use Turnips to cover your approach and try and get some Dair shield pressure in. Avoid being on the ground if you can from my experience because Rock Smash eats everything, he's got large tilts/a good F Smash and his grab range is ridiculous

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I would've posted in this yesterday, but I've already promised everyone I'd finish my write-up on the Meta Knight matchup.

Once I get around to doing that, I'll post my thoughts here.

Spoilers: I think Charizard does the worst, and Ivysaur does alright.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'm interested to hear that - could expand on those points when you've finished your MK write up?

I dunno, I personally have always found it easy to get up close and personal vs Ivysaur and had more trouble penetrating Charizards defenses due to a combination of Rock Smash/Tilts/Flamethrowers and getting hit by the odd aerial

Squritle is definitly the most challenging for Peach in my experience, its like fighting Wario

You main Wario as well right Reflex? How large is Squirtles grab in comparison to Wario's? I remember reading somewhere that Squirtle had a reasonably large non tether grab, wanted to check if that was right

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm interested to hear that - could expand on those points when you've finished your MK write up?

I dunno, I personally have always found it easy to get up close and personal vs Ivysaur and had more trouble penetrating Charizards defenses due to a combination of Rock Smash/Tilts/Flamethrowers and getting hit by the odd aerial

Squritle is definitly the most challenging for Peach in my experience, its like fighting Wario

You main Wario as well right Reflex? How large is Squirtles grab in comparison to Wario's? I remember reading somewhere that Squirtle had a reasonably large non tether grab, wanted to check if that was right
Don't worry, I'm gonna.

Squirtle has to play campy to do particularly well against Peach, but when he does, it works quite well.

I do play Wario, yeah.

Wario has an above-average grab range, but Squirtle's is the third best non-tether in the game. There's a decent difference.

Top Bottom