• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #7: Ice Climbers

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Once again, at least consider:
-Strengths/weaknesses
-Matchups
-Tournament performance
-Current tier list placement and potential for the future

TheMike

Smash Lord
Their main problem is when Nana is gone because SoPo can't do stuff well. When she is still alive, the Ice Climbers have great ploys to build up damage, such as desynching and chain grabbing. The latter is also their best ploy to kill the opponent in my opinion. Their tournament perfomance isn't as good as other top tier characters according to the Character Rankings List, but I think this isn't enough for them to drop in the tier list.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Now that Ice Climbers are finally up in the "top tier" around Diddy, Falco, Marth, Wario, etc., I'm pretty comfortable with their ranking. I can't say for sure exactly where they should be in that tier, since they will always been an under-represented character, due to the tech-skill barrier. However, they should definitely be among the other top-tier characters.

The infinites, or rather the threat of them, increase their strengths in countless ways, forcing players to eat up-airs or blizzards while they try to figure out a safe way in. They also have probably the second best or best comeback ability in the game (as long as both IC's are alive), since they can turn any game around with a mere 3 grabs. If one of them gets gimped, that comeback ability is lost though, so it's not as consistent as Snake's ability to come back, imo.

They don't do so well on "weird" stages, but honestly I'm not sure that's a huge deal. There are plenty of characters in this game who are semi-dependent on winning the Starter, so I don't see how IC's are too much worse off in that regard than say, Falco or Diddy.

Again, I'm very happy with where they are at the moment. I think they could easily move up, but that would take a significant amount of representation and I just don't see them getting that, well, ever. So I say they're pretty solid where they are, and they definitely should not drop below "top" tier.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think as of late... the mks have "learnt" how to counter ICs.
I could point out various things I've seen, but I'm sure someone else could.

His match ups with other top tiers are all... in the air.
I feel that ICs may be able to do amazing things, but they're still a character being played by a person and their options and mix ups still need to be considered.

As much as Ally/Swordgard say snake is even or w/e, this isn't readily agreed to by anyone else.
Falco has everything going in ICs favour, but it seems plausible at high level play for falco to handle the match up through good spacing, etc etc. I feel that Falco is a good example of perhaps ICs having over rated match ups. I've seen the discussion of Wolf, which originally was seen as 60:40 in Wolf's favour or better be flipped around to "unwinnable for wolf" according to the ICs because they have a solo buffered cg. For lack of a better term, arrogance and the hype that generated from it may have placed ICs higher than what they really are. Yes ICs have a "guaranteed kill" from a grab, but most characters entire goal is to never get grabbed, and many are capable of doing so. If Falco can turn this match up even, after the horrible solo cg, lack of disjoints, etc, then why can't other characters? This is my main issue with Ice Climbers as a whole at the moment.

Marth, I'm still not sure of. EC hates it undoubtedly. WC seems to have perked up and feel it's Marth's favour.
I have no real opinion on it.

Wario will feasibly have a hard time getting in, yet he is fully capable of 0-deathing nana and timing out the ICs. He also has his waft for extremely large damage that he can wait for before execution to "change" the tide of a match.

I'll probably get into more later, just finished a university lecture.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Will post later
Stop going first.

If you like getting the first reply just say so

*facepalm*

SoPo sucks.

ANyways, the ice climbers current ranking I think is accurate. They are rather inflexible in terms of stages.
They have nice matchups, and the threat of their death grab is an excellent scare tactic even with the worst grab range in the game.
Even if they couldnt perform t death grab the potential is immense. Desynched blizzards are an effective spacing tool and some of their attacks hit extremely hard.

They only seem to have issues in the air and with how easy it can be to seperate them.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
ICs is a very good character, but they have weaknesses that are easy to abuse.

Their recovery, while very good is very easy to gimp if you know how. If ICs does a side b characters can hit one of the ICs out of it while the other one goes into b move falling animation, if they're offstage it's probably not likely that they'll come back.

During their up b popo is a can be hit out of it.

Idk how ICs do no brinstar or RC since I don't really see them play there, but I'm guessing it's pretty bad.

If Nana and Popo are seperated Nana will always run after popo, her DI will also be aimed towards Popo if she's hit.

I think ICs are fine where they are on the Tier list, I don't really see them going up or down anytime soon.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Having a OHKO in a game which generally requires many hits per KO is a very sensitive issue. If it turns out that super-smart play can practically guarantee that three such hits can be scored per game, then they could become totally broken. If it turns out that super smart play can eliminate any possibility of being grabbed without sacrificing a favorable damage given / damage taken ratio, the ICs could plummet.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Really good character, they were horribly under-appreciated as people just assumed annihilating Nana was as simple as could be in the beginning. I think they've risen to where they belong in the tiers, but might need to go up or down one or two spots depending on the performance of the other characters in the top tier. Other than that, I think they are great, and that even their bad matchups are never -that- bad since their infinite is a constant looming threat so long as Nana remains alive.

gallax

Smash Hero
Ive always thought that we need and IC player who was amazing with their desynch game before we could truly see how good the ICs are.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Fun tip; during Ice Climber's up-B, nana is invincible and a hitbox, but Popo is completely vulnerable. Popo, however, doesn't climb the rope until after Nana grabs the ledge (and ceases to be a hitbox).

MK can just stand on the ledge and wait for ICs to up-B; the moment Nana grabs the ledge, run off and fastfall nair, and Popo will climb the rope right into the unsweetspotted nair which will knock him out of the up-B but leave Nana grabbing the ledge, which = a KO of Popo.

Of course, up-B isn't the ICs only way to recover; but ICs can never recover with an up-B against MK. Or Peach for that matter (dthrow turnip off the ledge).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That's only true if they sweet spot the ledge.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
But it sure can change the game. Also, no one really knows the true extent to how much desynching can change matchups, or even what they can do. I think they may be game changing.
No, we pretty much know what they can do. We can't do all of it consistently because some desynchs require a 1 frame timing but we know how to do them.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
In that case, isn't it a free KO against Nana?
Then you're stuck with SoPo.
No. Nana will just land on the stage. It's pretty easy to avoid edgeguards with IC's using squall. If they hit you out of it you are usually screwed but it's hard to hit them out of it if they use it smart. Squall can also sweetspot the ledge

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
ICS are god tier, top 2, omg so much to talk about this character, get grabbed or seperate em.

thats all there is to say about em.

Strong; CG that **** a stock if not messed up, double of everything (twice the DMG)

weak: nana being a dumb ****, predictable recovery

placing, some places top 3-5 but thats cuz they need to step it up :) or loses to MKs

conclusion: 3rd best char, but sadly most ics mains are so predictable, they always side b from the ledge, OMG LOL IMA GET HIT.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dang how does Ally know that they all do that? lmfao I was wondering the same thing. It's like how most Wario's try to drop down airdodge weave the same way back onstage.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
I might have previously been inclined to agree that IC's are better than Falco and Diddy... however after MLG, we've been moving towards a more diverse stage list with more "weird" stages, and I'm curious as to how that will affect the IC's. I would think that would hurt them a little bit, but it's hard to say without results.

Like I said in my previous post though, that's really not a huge ordeal, since there are plenty of other characters like Falco who aren't that great on weird stages who are still very strong characters.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I might have previously been inclined to agree that IC's are better than Falco and Diddy... however after MLG, we've been moving towards a more diverse stage list with more "weird" stages, and I'm curious as to how that will affect the IC's. I would think that would hurt them a little bit, but it's hard to say without results.

Like I said in my previous post though, that's really not a huge ordeal, since there are plenty of other characters like Falco who aren't that great on weird stages who are still very strong characters.
MK is the only char whos really harder on weird stagelists.

I wonder if il have time to make a huge post for ics...

swordgard

Smash Hero
Alright time to get cracking.

First of all, I believe ice climbers have the potential to be 2nd on the tier list when played right. The problem lies in the fact that there is no good ice climbers player atm.

My belief is that most ice climbers player are good with their characters, but are not that good overall at brawl. They have good "character skill" but not terribly good "player skill". This comes mostly from the fact that ice climbers have a huge learning curve character wise, and although at first it provides instant gratification when you learn to chaingrab/desynch properly, it does not necessarily allow you to learn how to be a smarter player. This is why when we saw the first outbreak of ice climbers, they were doing fairly good with lain almost beating m2k. Then people learned the matchup, and Ics started losing again because they were mostly relying on gimmicks at a basic level with not so good player skill.

Now, once you become smart enough, you learn that you can overcome most of these new problems by baiting mistakes from your opponents. The good side of ice climbers is that since they are 2, they can create more complex traps which make habits easier to bait, except that at first they were used purely as 1 shot gimmicks, not as baits. Pivot grabbing the tornado is a great example of this, once MK learns to space the nado too high for the pivot grab, you can actually simply crouch and upsmash/fsmash accordingly to the opponent's height after. In the event that they get hit while charging the smash, they get popped up directly above due to increased knockback.

Player wise, if you take a look at meep, prior to taking fox up, he was getting ***** by ally. He played fox for a while, went back to ics and took his first set from ally(some say ally had a day off, regardless of that, it shows alot of improvement). He explicitly told me that he had learned "to put others into incomfortable situations which allowed him to bait better than he used to prior to taking fox". This is obviously because his player skill grew because he was no longer relying on ics gimmicks, and could now land stuff he wouldn't before.

Character-wise, ice climbers have fairly good kill moves, a death grab, a good versatility due to their different ranges/speed mixups in moves, a great fear aura factor, disjointed hitboxes(hammers are really good in the air) and a unique desynch factor. On the bad side, they are gimpable, have slow air speed, bad walk speed, limited aerial abilities, nana is predictable(except when it involves certain moving platforms and certain random reversals) and grabs can be evaded if you do not make a mistake, and sopo is horrible on its own.

Now if we take a look at all of these, well most of these really are a non-issue once you learn to play them right.

Ice climbers are much less gimpable if you can mash side B fast enough, know how to recover using properly timed ice blocks/b-reversed ice blocks to use bair while recovering. Now your side-B allows you to keep your second jump even if you get hit, which is a huge bonus. The fact that ice climbers are not fast falls helps them recover alot since they can often simply DI up and recover because of their average floatiness. When you add clever use of Side-B/Up-B and footstooling, it makes gimping a non-issue.

Slow air speed is an inherent problem which really can't be changed -.-. On the other hand, their slow walk speed can be useful to quickly create mixups between walking and dashing to get in close range much faster than most would expect, same can be done through slow-dashing, but thats harder.

Limited aerial abilities would be quite honestly false, considering they have great comboability, that nair at low % sends down for a grab opportunity, and that fair is probably one of the best jump guard(see pierce's thread, he named it before me :( )punisher ever since it gives the opportunity for a tech chase to grab. B-Air is very useful as a spacing move and is fairly lagless, D-Air allows you to quickly change your falling speed. They can desynch off any aerial in the hope of getting ice block to grab too, their aerial game is frankly quite good as all of their moves serves one of two purposes. Either they are easy to land and rack up damage/combo(upair/b-air), or they are used for landing grabs but are slightly harder to land(n-air and f-air).

Nana is a predictable dumb AI that will run into any F-Smash, amirite? Nope, wrong again. You can actually control's nana's AI from afar in order to create mixups so that its much harder for the opponent to kill her. You can go as far as control her DI, her movements, her jumps(depending on where you are in relation to her), keep her down when shes on the ground, keep her from killing herself due to input copies(I swear every ics run towards the ledge and shields when shes on the ledge....she lets go and airdodge). Due to all of these, it makes it much harder for the opponent to kill nana since you still have a decent amount of control on her. You can even pull of some crazy stunts to save her. For example, say Snake backthrows you offstage and hes about to kill nana with Fsmash. You know that even if you do an aerial you won't be able to catch her since you can't use an aerial until fairly late in hitstun. Well you could be holding R after an aerial in the air, and when nana will be sent towards you she will airdodge, then catch her with side-b. Ice climbers allow for a lot of creativity.

Now for grabs being evadable, I must say that imo this is completely false, ice climbers player skills are simply not high enough, all characters including MK have to land at some point, and you have ways to counter that. You can also beat rolls and spotdodges simply by grabbing at the right time. Often ice climbers simply miss some of those opportunities because they are not used to baiting such things. Even the tornado can be punished with a grab if done well, and it essentially becomes RPS on the type of nado hes going to use vs what punish your going for.

Finally, sopo does not suck at all. Yes, he has an under-average moveset, but he can still chaingrab for a long time most of the cast, heres a link to the list: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246701 . Granted sopo is not fantastic on his own, he can still recover fairly well if you DI/footstool/side-b/b-reversal ice block at the right time. Due to his weird moveset, he can still use some weird traps to hit most characters. That his to say every of his moves in the air and on the ground get beaten by shield, except he can still blizzard/grab it for good damage, which still allows him to do some decent RPS battle vs the opponent. He also gains some decent baiting moves at mid-stock on other characters. For example when he D-Throws MK at 70%ish, he gets to follow up with up air if MK doesn't airdodge, but can still bait it to f-smash/upsmash.

In a nutshell, ice climbers are not placing so well because the character is so intricate, players are learning the character, not how to play brawl. On the other hands, top players like ally who can usually pickup a char with no problem still have to learn all of its intricacies before being really able to shine, which makes it a not so worthwhile investment for them and don't do as well as when picking up say falco or marth or MK. In order to have ice climbers at their full potential, you need someone who can play both at top level and know the character like the back of their hand, and so far it didn't happen. I think its doable, just terribly hard to reach that level but worth it, since ice climbers simply don't peak as early as other chars like snake.

swordgard

Smash Hero
On the other hands, top players like ally who can usually pickup a char with no problem still have to learn all of its intricacies before being really able to shine, which makes it a not so worthwhile investment for them and don't do as well as when picking up say falco or marth or MK.

Aka you won't do as well with ics by picking em up the first time as picking up marth or falco or MK just with player skill.

Sorry if that was unclear.

hunger!

Smash Champion
Ice climber's are dumb in brawl.

I disagree with what sword said about a high learning curve. Get down the weights and be a smart player = boom pro ic's. Sit down in training with some different character weight classes, take 30 min on each and tada!!!! There ya go.

The only problem they really have is air camping/planking. if played right, they can be 2nd best imo, but that will never happen so they belong where they are atm. 5th, maybe they should even drop to 6th if wario passes em but w/e doesnt matter that much.

There's one reason why "don't get grabbed" isn't an option here. Grab Armor, and with ic's, they have double the grab armor. Dumbest stuff in brawl and combined with a dumb character like climbers, makes for a stupid mix that will piss alot of people off. whoever says that phrase while giving ic's advice is a straight up ******.

oh and if you didn't notice off this post, i hate ic's. :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I love em. They force people to play gay to win. Something I fully advocate and support doing in the first place.

I can also play them pretty decently. IMO they aren't that complex of a character. You only do 3 things with them: Grab people, try to hit them for avoiding the grab, or you sit there and wait.

Hungr, grab armor isn't that dumb on them. Depending on the attack, you might hit the other one as they grab armor you making it so that they can't CG you. If Nana is the one who gets it, there's a good chance you hit Popo. If Popo gets it, well lesser chance but it's still there.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ice climber's are dumb in brawl.

I disagree with what sword said about a high learning curve. Get down the weights and be a smart player = boom pro ic's. Sit down in training with some different character weight classes, take 30 min on each and tada!!!! There ya go.

The only problem they really have is air camping/planking. if played right, they can be 2nd best imo, but that will never happen so they belong where they are atm. 5th, maybe they should even drop to 6th if wario passes em but w/e doesnt matter that much.

There's one reason why "don't get grabbed" isn't an option here. Grab Armor, and with ic's, they have double the grab armor. Dumbest stuff in brawl and combined with a dumb character like climbers, makes for a stupid mix that will piss alot of people off. whoever says that phrase while giving ic's advice is a straight up ******.

oh and if you didn't notice off this post, i hate ic's. :)
Still waiting on you to do that and win some tourneys. Go and be a pro ics, will you?

gallax

Smash Hero
If the LGL is taken off too then the IC's wont be as good. The ice blocks arent really that hard to navigate around(and by navigate i mean plank :chuckle: )

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
We are assuming no LGL when discussing characters as it is not a part of the BBR ruleset.

IC is solid where they are. They have the most dangerous gimmick in the game and that can cause players to be too cautious of the ground. Snipa, an IC in south Florida normally tunnel visions grabs. However, yesterday he played differently. He was playing Nick Riddle who normally beats him handily in tournament. Instead of running and grabbing like he would normally, he would run up and aerial. Expecting grabs, players often times will jump to get out of the danger zone. This is an extremely good, although basic, mix-up that works on most characters in this game.

Ice Climbers are the only character that can establish that type of pressure just by being there. The threat of the CG is just as bad as the CG itself. 5th is solid for them.

@hunger
Wario being better than IC? Hah! Is Wario doing anything in any region right now?

hunger!

Smash Champion
@reflex, is that elev8?

@esam, maybe cause i live in mw and theres like a million warios =P

and lol, DMG, i basically hate ic's for the reason you love em :)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
@reflex, is that elev8?
Indeed, it is.

He's become a smart player after getting thrashed by me so often, constantly playing WiFi, and reading about characters whenever he can.

After that, he picked up Ice Climbers and practices chaingrabs about 30 minutes a day. Used to be a lot longer.

He still can't beat me, but when he gets lucky and someone else takes me out of the tournament, he does work.

Coffee™

I need it....

Personally I hate ICs simply because of the state of mind they put you in when you play against them but ICs as a character are really good. Though, Swordgard does make a decent point in that most Ice Climber players themselves aren't that good at the game and simply rely on the character's gimmicks and infinites to get by.

However we've seen that once people learn to deal with such gimmicks IC players always tend to struggle considerably. I can't really see them dropping anytime soon from their current position, but I don't really see them rising much either.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Ironically, my region has started DESTROYING ICs, simply by playing aggressive. A lot of characters really lose to the Blizzard and Uair game (including MK) which really makes it hard for them you to beat them, since they excel when below you and at mid range, and this is the position that they most often get to reside in. A good pressure game that can also evade grab is most successful for us here. I started doing WAY more consistently against the character with both Marth and MK when just outright attacking them,

Top Bottom