• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's dair reaching capabilities.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Wolf's Dair has an enormous hitbox that we're all aware of. It's got much more reach then characters like Ganon, Falco, Samus, or Falcon vertically. So much so, that it easily reaches through platforms. I gathered two videos showcasing every character that Wolf can reach with Dair's through platforms.

Somethings are abnormal when taking into account characters. Ones like Squirtle and Ivysaur only get hit by a Dair when they're taunting. Characters like Diddy kong and Ice climbers only get hit when they're in their standing stance position. When they are just standing regular they aren't susceptible to the reach of Wolf's Dair. They need to stand still long enough for their stances to kick in.

TL;DR version: Wolf's should platform Dair camp more because it does 15% and it's pretty safe. Especially good vs D3 and Sheik and Falco. It helps a lot in bad matchups due to grabs because it makes getting grabbed while doing damage easier.

Mario through Ice climbers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t8hqQo9nDY

Kirby through Sonic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1czVDEQp84

D

Deleted member

Huh...I was always under the impression that Dair was horrible and I should never use it.

I'll try it out when I get home on Wednesday.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Huh...I was always under the impression that Dair was horrible and I should never use it.

I'll try it out when I get home on Wednesday.
O_________________O

It's always been really good. It's lag-less and has a huge range. A full hopped Dair even hits D3's head unless he is crouching. Spiking Snakes isn't even super hard because it's range is amazing.

An Mk should never be able to shark you effectively as long as you aim your Dair properly between lag after moves like Uair. Don't try it on tornado though rofl.

.AC.

Smash Lord
dair is really good if you successfully predict something committing on the ground, for example mk's ftilt,dtilt,dsmash or fsmash, its also good to use as means of reaching the ground safely, if you mix up correctly dair,airdodge,shine,sideb (canceled) that in conjunction with your extra jump and other options you should never be juggled consistently.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You should probably use it as a punishment whenver you have enough time for it. I think we should emphasize it more in the punishment thread [if choice ever bothers to update it].

:059:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Agreed with AC. Dair is ****, I get out of Marth's juggling with well-timed dairs lol. It also combos on grounded opponents, trufax. And yeah, dair platform camping is pretty fun vs Falco :p Looks like hitting the ICs with this is going to take some practice though...

The things I want to know are:
Which characters can counter this (ex Snake utilt, by either hitting us out of it before the attack or somehow outprioritizing the attack (maybe ZSS, or MK SH uair? idk))?
Does it hit every character's shield if they have it up at full?
Which characters does it hit during their walking animation? Dashing as well, but I think in this scenario most characters won't just stand there, they'll either shield or try to walk out of the way, so idk... would be good to know, since some walking/dashing/standing animations really affect a characters hurtbox (ex. Wolf lol)

If I still remember how to analyze frame data correctly, we have a 5 frame disadvantage on shield with a dair right before landing, enough to shield any OoS punish attempt unless someone has a frame 4 usmash :3 Speaking of frame data, does anyone know how long a platform drop takes? :x

Also, put a list in the OP of who it doesn't work on if they're standing below the platform and not in their idle animation (Diddy, TL, Kirby, MK, Olimar, Wolf (lolololol Wolf is too good), Pikachu :(, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Jigglypuff, Lucas, G&W). That'll save people 13 minutes of video if they're in a rush ;D

Good **** Seagull :) And Gheb, Choice will get on it in time, he just wants to go one character at a time iirc so yeah =P But good **** to you too for crunching that data btw :)

D

Deleted member

In my experience, Yoshi's Uair outprioritizes Wolf's Dair.

Destrawr

Smash Cadet
Dair is amazing.
Here's a personal thing i use for it (also, sorry for being inactive round here, sadface)- I tend to be a wolf that spams bair a hell of alot more than i should, so normally when i go offstage people expect me to bair them to K.O and some will either jump or fastfall, of course, since we're talking about dair, you can already guess what i do, and i take the 50% chance that they fastfall.
It works as a pretty good mindgames if you're addicted to bair like myself.
Just sayin.

John102

Smash Cadet
Lol, I was playing this some today and it seems to have decent combo abilities at higher percent since it will bounce the character up some. Dair usmash is pretty legit I think on mid %'s. Dair dsmash has a small window of oppurtunity but since the window is at higher %'s it has KO possibility, although if the person can airdodge at like the perfect time I think they can get past it... Then dair aaa seems pretty legit too. I was just playing with DDD, so I'm sure %'s and outcomes are different for different characters and whatnot though.

Edit: Oh, and I think dair, platform drop, to nair lock can be set up if your opponent doesn't get up right away....

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's not very useful against characters that can crawl either. Except maybe Bowser.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Does anyone here dair in place (or close to it) similar to how Ganon would do his stomp?

I find it success more times than not, and leads to quick lead ups.

Thoughts?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Does anyone here dair in place (or close to it) similar to how Ganon would do his stomp?

I find it success more times than not, and leads to quick lead ups.

Thoughts?
It doesn't have that sorta reach unless it hits something like the stage. Kinda ******** idea, but good thought anyway lol.

pulse131

Smash Ace
lmao at gulls response.
******** idea, too good. l00ol0ol0ol0ol0ol
maybe at higher percentages cuz ganons feet tend to stun moar then wolfs nails o.o

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
cgull,

da reason y they get hit while taunting is because the hurt box is always active no1, no2 is they're positioning their bodies in much more vertical stance that allows wolf to hit them with dair

this same manner of thinking applies to da IC and diddy kong whose heads/bodies are much more erect during the idle stance versus them being hunched over when they walk/run

with ddd however....u dont wanna be dair camping too much, u know, utilt has massive vertical range that'll stop that. So if u try it, please try it with care

i think the dumb part of trying to dair ontop of da platform is that if you dont space it right no hitbox comes out at all and wolf is left with lag >=\

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
cgull,

da reason y they get hit while taunting is because the hurt box is always active no1, no2 is they're positioning their bodies in much more vertical stance that allows wolf to hit them with dair

this same manner of thinking applies to da IC and diddy kong whose heads/bodies are much more erect during the idle stance versus them being hunched over when they walk/run

with ddd however....u dont wanna be dair camping too much, u know, utilt has massive vertical range that'll stop that. So if u try it, please try it with care

i think the dumb part of trying to dair ontop of da platform is that if you dont space it right no hitbox comes out at all and wolf is left with lag >=\
D3's always try this though. Which is why you bait it with a shield before you spike D3. You react to how they play.

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
Only reliable use of Dair for me is kind of a crossover. Wolfs air mobility and the strong shield pushback of the Dair can create a pretty good distance to your opponent after hitting the shield which makes this difficult to punish. An example: A Toon Link tried to shield grab my Dair but I was out of range. And if it hits you can sometimes combo into jab, grab or bair, depending on the percents.

D

Deleted member

I spiked a Lucario with dair today.

I'm so bad at that, so it made me happy. >_>

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
i had no idea Wolfs Dair reached that far.....now i know i have to get better at landing it
It didn't have too much Horizontal reach, i was sure, but it's Vertical reach was the biggest of any Dair in the game? Correct me if i'm wrong, anyone.
Either way, didn't know too many uses for PC'ing, so knowing that Wolf benefits is a real help.

Top Bottom