• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the best-crafted character?

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
Calling out people that MYM and that don't MYM!

Which character do you think was the best crafted?
This is not who is the best character (which most of us agree is MK), but which character was crafted with detail, care, and skill.
This includes things such as:

• a moveset that makes sense and is true to the gameplay of the character's games
  • a personality and style that is true to the character's...character
  • well thought-out matchups against other characters that make them balanced
  • an aura that makes gamers care about the character, whether it is popularity or nostalgia or just good angle of the character that makes people unfamiliar want to be familiar with them
Back up your opinion. No 10chars.
Assist trophies, bosses, items, and stages are welcome for discussion as well.

BurnBurn

Smash Apprentice
Ahh, I had an idea like this. Just that graphics on the character was a factor too.

IMO, it's one of the pokemon, like Pokemon trainer. (not rayquaza though). They make use of attacks that are in the game, and some that aren't in the game, and it's still acceptable, like Charizard making use of its claws, tail, flames. and Ivysaur with its poison. It's also the three main starters, everyone's got to know them.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Diddy and Pit were two of the first to come to mind, but if this includes non-brawl exclusives, Mario has always been given a solid moveset to reflect his character, and the use of Peach's float is probably one of Sakurai's most genius moments in the series.

I'd say Mario overall though fits perfectly.

And I very highly doubt individual matchups were the way Sakurai attempted to beta test for balance. It seems more like an on-paper sort of balance he was going for (Well Metaknight has great recovery and decent damage racking, but kills at high percents, that should work, right...?). He also intended the game to be played with smash balls to balance out a lot of characters movesets. I'd say he intended for item play and a party environment, but that can't be said for certain (Though I'd say he very heavily implies it's supposed to be a party game).

JOE!

Smash Hero
Captain Falcon

the dude had his moveset 100% made-up, he was just a racecar driver before smash, now he's everyone's favorite Super-dude.

As for a more "true to material" character: Diddy Kong

Nearly everythign he does in smash is something he has done in a DK game, or just true to his character of "annoying little monkey".

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Probably Link or Mario.

Mario's cape, FLUDD and fireball were pretty well designed, and his move set suits him very well. They went into extreme detail on his overalls, lol.

Link is just too beast in Brawl. His outfit looks amazing and there is a lot of detail in it. I like how they put all the items from Twilight Princess in his arsenal too. [Insert long text about the Gale Boomerang, the bow and the water bombs here.] I also like how he can block with his shield :)

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
If it's not Falcon, Link, or Samus, I'm not going anywhere with it :/

I'd have to say Falcon, everything the man does just makes you want to say: I'm going to try some of this stuff irl.
*Tries to Falcon Dive off house*
*SD's*
GGs.

I would have said Marth, but then you said match ups so yeah....

Probably Toon Link. He is a well balanced character with few bad match ups, he has a moveset that is true to him, heck, he even has TAUNTS from the games he's been in, as well as bombs that have a cartoonish explosion. He has very little disjoints and has a major nostalgia factor.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I'd probably have to say Diddy, for the somewhat unique playstyle the Down Special gives him all by itself, and how the dashing attack works so well with picking up the bananas. It's very true to character, and he has some of the best match-ups.

Of course, saying Sakurai "designed" the match-ups is giving him a lot more credit than he deserves. . .

CiViC

Smash Rookie
Link/Toon Link

Every single one of their moves, excluding final smash, is from their games. I don't think any other character(s) has that quality. As for match ups, Toon Link is definitely more well-balanced than Link is, so I have to go with Toon Link.

(This has nothing to do with my icon under my avatar >:|)

Yamato Hong

Smash Apprentice
Mario's character and design appears to be done quite well! ^-^

I don't really care how nerfed Mario became in SSBB as long as he is still given his key aspects like his trademark fireballs, the sound his Super Jump Punch that dates back all the way to his 2D appearance, the coin sounds, and FLUDD from Sunshine.

It's all good! ^-^

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Link/Toon Link

Every single one of their moves, excluding final smash, is from their games. I don't think any other character(s) has that quality. As for match ups, Toon Link is definitely more well-balanced than Link is, so I have to go with Toon Link.

(This has nothing to do with my icon under my avatar >:|)
I've played nearly every Zelda game, and I've never seen Link's bair used in any one of them.

I'd have to say Captain Falcon definitely. :V

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Part of me wants to say Ness really.

- He's got a chargable yet not storable projectile of mass destruction (PK Flash)
- Arguably the most most unique recovery in Smash (outside of Lucas stealing it).
- A locking projectile that sets up the foe for his grab game (PK Fire).
- An attack that allows him to heal himself via opponent's (or partner's projectiles). Heck, even certain stage hazards heal him.
- Plus he's got his DJC and jackets in Melee which were pretty awesome....

That and that Ness is just a happy-go-lucky kid. He's no super hero, just an average kid with less than average abilities. He fights with magic but he also fights with kid stuff like his yo-yo and baseball bat. That and I've always loved his just downright awesome aerial attacks. The only downside here is the lack of "balanced" matchups...I mean he does get ***** by that grab release (he still has that against him, right?) and he's not exactly tourney viable really.

And darn right Ness has that aura of caring about him! I'm sure a good number of people (myself included) had no idea who the hell Ness was when SSB64 came out and they unlocked him. Smash 64 made me see how awesome the character was and actually motivated me to look into EarthBound. When I actually managed to play the game, it easily became one of my favorite RPG's ever.

CiViC

Smash Rookie
I've played nearly every Zelda game, and I've never seen Link's bair used in any one of them.

I'd have to say Captain Falcon definitely. :V
I'll correct myself: almost all of their moves. I forgot to take the back air and forward air into account.

Captain Falcon

the dude had his moveset 100% made-up, he was just a racecar driver before smash, now he's everyone's favorite Super-dude.
That's not entirely true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw

Falcon punch was in the show.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon

Although it is most admirable to nominate the Captain for this honor, I must say that it is a matter of popular myth that his moveset is entirely fabricated. Allow me to share some of the scholarly research I have conducted into Captain Falcon's most epic and manliest moves.

Let's remember that he is in fact a bounty hunter by occupation and examine how each move accords duly with recorded history and sound fact.

Gentleman Jab--Falcon's third jab, and probably the manliest jab in the game. Only Captain Falcon is hardcore enough to beat you down this politely. This move was clearly based on actual, recorded, historical use by Robin Hood, King Arthur, and George Washington, the only men in history manly enough to distribute justice so gallantly.

Heel of Justice--Falcon's Utilt is the scourge of evildoers in over 9000 galaxies. It is said that the boot contains adamantium and a teaspoon of matter from a neutron star's surface to increase the sheer brutality of the downswing. It was used in the Battle of Stamford Bridge during the last stand of the indomitable Haraldr Hardhradi, where it felled six thousand Englishmen with the resulting shockwave.

Elbow of Judgment--Only Captain Falcon's elbow could create this much destruction. Trust me. Its use is well recognized and far-reaching, seen even on the primordial paintings at Lascaux, where a particularly hairy and grizzled warrior is seen elbowing a horse with extreme brutality.

Knee of Justice--Also to be seen in the famed Lascaux series, where it is shown single-handedly felling a woolly mammoth and a Tyrannosaurus rex.

Falcon Punch--The only move with a recognized biblical precedent, utilized by only the manliest prophets and holy warriors, including Samson, Gabriel, and John the Baptist.

Heels of Vindication--Falcon's dreaded Dsmash is perhaps historically his most interesting move of all, originating in a double roundhouse kick that Chuck Norris delivered to an unfortunate man with an incredibly thick skull who had insulted him. By some miracle the twin kicks did not kill him, but instead transplanted him several thousand millennia in time, where he met the living Buddha and was soundly scoffed at for his stupidity. The man swore that he would dispatch Norris with the same roundhouse kicks that had tossed him through time, but after several abortive attempts he met only the uproarious laughter of the Buddha, who said, "What is the sound of two roundhouse kicks clapping?" It was then that the man achieved enlightenment and was able to achieve the lightning fast sweeping kick that is now immortalized as the Heels of Vindication.

Nipple Stomp/Nipple Thrust--Captain Falcon's dreaded spike was discovered on the grueling coastline of medieval North America, where the miniature Ice Age conditions forced the natives from the withered land to hunt for ferocious inhabitants of the sea. Fortuitously discovered when an unfortunate toddler was tossed into the sea to appease an oceanic deity and inadvertently killed a baby seal with his lead-lined boots, it was shown to the Viking explorers and explained in detail in the harrowing Saga of the Falcon. The technique consisted of diving suicidally into the teeming waters and stomping sharks and killer whales with extreme brutality and justice, using the eponymous nipple thrust to exert maximum force and righteousness.

The technique was curiously said to be utilized most effectively by the feminine element of society, particularly the more well endowed members, especially the indomitable Freydis, daughter of Erik the Red.

Backhand of Justice/Extreme Reverse Pimp Slap of Ultimate Righteousness--This epic and humiliating maneuver of the good Captain's is self-explanatory, and has been recorded in use by Gilgamesh, Odin, King David, Leonidas, Ragnar Shaggy Breeches, John the Baptist, Boudicca, Andrew Jackson, Grigori Rasputin, and Lee Van Cleef.

When we regard the divine inspiration behind such moves as the Falcon Punch and the Knee of Justice, and do not neglect the epic intensity of such moves as the Nipple Thrust (Dair) and Backhand of Justice (Bair), we can see that Nintendo crafted Captain Falcon's moveset diligently and with all due regard to strict historical precedence and an ungodly amount of testosterone.

Kati

Smash Lord
I would definitely have to argue AGAINST mario as a well crafted character. His whole "all-around" stats have plagued him since his sports games and only taken away anything of possible interest. Play the old nes/snes games, and one sees why he was named "jump-man". He was fast (not sonic fast mind you), could leap incredibly high, had devastating fireballs (even to the bosses), and in everycase, was toppled in 2-3 hits. If Sakurai had taken these roots into consideration, we would have a much more offensive orientated mario that is also light despite his pasta-belly.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'm going to get the moderators to change signature limitations so I can sig Bragi's :D

And I'd say that Samus is the truest to her games. I think that all of her attacks can be found in her games (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think G&W's moveset is pretty accurate as well.

DDD's chain grab existed in Kirby's Adventure ;)

Jigglypuff is the worst - Rest was NEVER a KO move before Melee lol

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Oh yea, good point. Well then G&W in that case :) Mario seems alright except I don't remember his tornado or his jump punch from anywhere

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Save for his Green Missle, which I don't think anyone has found an origin for, I would say that the best-crafted, moveset-wise, is Luigi. He's a high jumper, floaty, has traction, and is similar but different to Mario. Mario, on the other hand, strikes me as a kind of bland playstyle. To me, I think he'd be best as something like Ryu but a higher jump.

In terms of matchups, lol Brawl matchups.

link2702

Smash Champion
c.falcon, or one of the space furries.

all said characters basicly had their entire movesets made strictly for smash.

fox, aside from the bonus selection in multiplayer after you unlocked it in starfox64, where you could run on land as one of the characters with a giant bazooka to shoot down the oppeennts, has NEVER been on the ground as a fighter,(we're talking about smash bros as a whole here, smash64 was obviously made before starfox assault, so it was pretty much his first time literally being on foot) he's always been in the cockpit of his arwing or landmaster, his entire moveset for 64 was basicly made on the spot just for that game.

falcon, for pretty much exaclty the same reason, every F-zero game is a racer, none of em have been about falcon going around doing his role as a "bounty" hunter and going to kick everyones *** with his manly awsomeness, smash64 was the first time he'd ever been playable as an actual character and not inside his blue falcon.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You always think of things in Street Fighter terms
Fighting is my life. lol I don't really mean to but it's usually the easiest way for me to present an example, but I need to be careful. I know! I'll think of things in terms of Christianity!

Kati

Smash Lord
Putting manly metaphors aside, I think Falcon is surprisingly true to his games. Okay, the speed is obvious, but the attacks..? well, F-zero is a racing game, but with the release of X back before ssb, it introduced monster melee attacks. There is the spin attack and the side attack, but these descriptions don't really do justice. The side attack was a gigantic lunge that would hurtle your racer into the wall if it missed, but if it connected, not only was the destruction of the other racer assured but your own gained health!

That risk and reward is reflected by falcon's low priority with power. His recovery is a great example of this (not so much the power), but even more so is the knee of justice.

One could go on to liken falcon kick to boosting... or something to the spin attack, but I think that there is enough here already despite his actual games never having fisticuffs.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
falcon, for pretty much exaclty the same reason, every F-zero game is a racer, none of em have been about falcon going around doing his role as a "bounty" hunter and going to kick everyones *** with his manly awsomeness.

Why have they not made a game like that? Seriously i'd buy it in a heart beat!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Nah, Olimar of Brawl is a far cry from Olimar of the Pikmin games; for one thing he never directly attacks enemies in his games, and for another he never uses the pikmin as battering objects either

Top Bottom