• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Matchup Discussion: R.O.B.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I think am able to to give my input since I've already faced some decent Toon Link players in my region. Patience is key. Power shield everything and space Ftilt. ROB is a big target and Toon Link can build up demage quickly by using his aerials(mainly Nair and the Bair string) and projectiles. His camping game is better than ROB's, so what we need to do is take Toon Link off stage, edge guard correctly and try to gimp him because we'll have a hard time to get KOs with Fsmash, Nair or Bair.

Toon Link can also juggle ROB pretty well. He definately has the advantage. A slight one to be honest. In terms of ratio, I would say 55-45 TL's favor is an accurate one.

/my two cents

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Be wary of his n-air. It has a deceptively long-lasting hitbox. Treat his f-air like marth's f-air in terms of range and speed. SDI out of u-air and punish. For the love of god don't get d-air spiked.

Camp camp camp and camp some more and get him into the air.

TheMike

Smash Lord
His camping game is better than ROB's
For the record, by this sentence, I didn't want to mean that ROB should never camp. Actually, he does need to do so every now and then, but that's not the way he'll win the matchup though.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I've played Quivo alot so I kinda know this matchup. Make no mistake, this matchup is a campfest. Pretty much if TL approaches and ROB catches him with a fair/nair, prepare to eat a whole chunk of damage. Constant shield pressure and unpredictability is win. Since you have better aerial mobility, try to bait an aerial approach and space away from him. Zair is really good tool to poke my shield, ROB's shield grows weakest on the top.

I wouldn't challange ROB from the ground. ROB's Ftilt brutally stops most of TL's ground approaches. But also watch out for spaced Fsmashes, ROB is going to angle them up to stop Bair/Fair approaches.

Overall I would say that the matchup is even. You might think to avoid FD, but BF is just as bad sometimes because it's so small that weaker KBs can knock you off stage, which is where you don't want to be. Juggle ROB when you can, but remember not to over commit since ROB's fair comes out really fast, and Nair punishes any miss-spaced approaches. Also ban Frigate if it's legal.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
toon link outcamps ROB...

chibo and kingtoon know this matchup really well so you should get those two in here if possible. all I know is that as ROB, we like to grab a lot, and get you offstage and bair a lot. @.@

Bair AND fair. I've been gimped by fair more than once, and it isn't fun. :(

Honestly, just predict their camp game. Keep your eyes locked on ROB and be ready to avoid the projectiles (in other words, try not to trap yourselves in animations). Oh, and you don't want to be next to ROB's nair.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I used to lose to OS's Rob cause I would have the lead and get impatient when he was ledge camping. I would then try to look cool by running off stage and try to hit him. Instead, I would just get gimped... : (

Don't do this folks.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
we can shield grab robs fair irrc

molest rob with projectiles when he goes offstage.

robs projectiles are pretty telegraphed easily avoidable(plus you can take one (smirk))

Ill ask kingtoon for his input after apex

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
My two cents.

Robs Bair lasts so bloody long D=. Hitbox is still there after the fire disappears.

Hes also practically impossible to gimp cuz of his BS recovery.

His projectiles are nothing. Gyro is a free projectile for you. Laser is usually blockable.

I hate his OoS Dsmash D=.

Thebest1pj

My two cents.

Robs Bair lasts so bloody long D=. Hitbox is still there after the fire disappears.

Hes also practically impossible to gimp cuz of his BS recovery.

His projectiles are nothing. Gyro is a free projectile for you. Laser is usually blockable.

I hate his OoS Dsmash D=.
he is easily harassed offstage

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Really? Whenever I try he just flies around me O.o...

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Yea. Except he usually beats everything with airdodge. It catches bombs and dodges boomerangs D=. And arrows don't go high enough. I usually have more luck by chasing his airdodge with Uair.

Thebest1pj

Yea. Except he usually beats everything with airdodge. It catches bombs and dodges boomerangs D=. And arrows don't go high enough. I usually have more luck by chasing his airdodge with Uair.
if you know hes gonna air dodge after a projectiles is throw then hit him with nair or fair after it ends

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
I guess so. I'll have to work on chasing.

Anyway I haven't seen many opinions on MU ratio other than

TheMike said:
55-45 TL's favor
Is this what everybody's opinion is? I haven't played enough good ROBs to get a good idea.

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
Matchup Summary: Rob :rob:

Best stage to fight ROB on:

Other good stages:
Battlefield
Halberd*

(No one talked about where to take ROB, INKY xat told me just don't go anywhere where ROB is good, so I figured those three would be pretty safe)

Worst stage to fight ROB on:

Other bad stages:
Rainbow Cruise

Summary:

Another campy matchup for us, and ROB is another character that is also pretty campy. But a difference in this is, you need to be patient. ROB's like to play on the ledge, and if you go for hitting them off the ledge, you're gonna get gimped.

ROBs aerials are all quite good, and the hitboxes last longer than you might thing they do. If you get caught in a situation where you are gonna get hit by an aerial, you're gonna eat a lot of damage, so approaching him can be dangerous. Always grab a bomb when you're trying to recover, it might save you if he does happen land a bair or nair in an attempt to gimp you.

Top/Gyro/Whatever you wanna call it can be obnoxious, but it's easy to turn around and use as a projectile for yourself. As far as being able to touch it, I THINK that once you hit it with a bomb, it becomes grabbable. If anyone knows for sure, I'll edit this. Just don't run into it while it's still spinning, ROB will be able to capitalize on your error.

His laser isn't really that big of a deal, just watch out for it when you're recovering, I've seen people get kills with laser just because their opponent was close to the blastzone and they weren't paying attention.

ROB isn't really a character that you can gimp, if you do manage to gimp them, it's more their fault than it is your doing.

As far as on stage play goes, ROB has one of the best spotdodges in the game. They will use and abuse this. If they do begin to abuse spotdodge, you need to punish them for it. Dsmash is also good, but it's SDIable (I think it's Dsmash, whatever the thing is where he puts the arms to his sides and spins, it's kinda like spin attack), but I believe against us, most kills will be coming from aerials, so just be sure to not be predictable so you can't get nailed with an aerial, as most of them have some startup time to them.

Offstage and Offledge is where we need to capitalize. Don't let him get around you, throw stuff at him, if it hits him, you get some damage, if he airdodges, nail him with a fair, nair, or uair.

Overall, play it safe, don't be too flashy, don't be too predictable. Don't get hit by aerials, throw more **** than he does, and be patient. If you go chasing him, you might get yourself in a compromising position.

Not many people talked about ratio, but IMO it's even. Maybe a little bit our favor. But I'm callin it even, since we outcamp him, but he has some aerial kill power if he catches us in the middle of an animation.

:toonlink: Even 50:50 :rob:

Lobos

Smash Master
Ask Chibo Sempai since he is the only rob with the most experience vs toon link....

*waits for namesearch*

Hyro

Smash Lord
I 2-0'ed chibo at pound 4 in pools, but i'm pretty sure he said he had no TL experience at that time

Rockan

Smash Apprentice
You can easily spike him when he recovers downwards.

Tl has a much better camping game then rob, and its easier for toonlink to get the kill

and tls projectiles can help him recover and try to to recover above him because his bair can be pretty scary.

When your above him be sure to have a bomb in your hand because his nair can kill pretty early

overall I think the match up is 60-40 in toonlinks favor.

Kreggins

Smash Cadet
You say he can be easily spiked like it happens all the time. I don't know if it's just the ROBs I play against but they don't really recover low, ever. Plus the fact that they can air dodge Tink's Dair and still recover with ease (unless it's set up with a bomb or something).

QUIVO

Smash Master
You can spike rob when he's currently Up B'ing since he can't do anything but attack out of it. I don't always suggest this since you can always miss (if you're like me).

The robs in Ohio generally like to ledge camp to gain momentum, and try to bait you out in order to gimp you. When they do this i just camp back. I mean, they have a gyro and laser. These you can see coming and just shield if you're patient.

If kreggins is speaking of Silhouette, then the dude most likely wont recover in spiking distance unless he can uair you or some ****.

Top Bottom