• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion - Ice Climbers

Dnyce

Smash Master
Pictures what would have been better:

Go on ahead and edit out the pictures when you take the one you like hilt ;o

As for MU advice, I pretty much told dabuz and vocal everything I knew last week.... but uuhhhh

don't get grabbed, use grab and fsmash a lot (grab is better)
if you gettin ***** by blizzard, be more aggro; if you gettin ***** by CGs, be more campy - find the balance (depends on IC you playin)

if ICs recovering with upB, use fsmash - the long lasting hitbox will nip popo on his way up
if ICs recovering low with squall - jump into it, they can't rise anymore - it'll hit you up so you don't have to worry about getting gimped.
if ICs recovering from stage height, fsmash / usmash / pikmin toss (if off stage)
if ICs are recovering high, **** em with w/e

If ICs recover scratch free, let them grab you - you deserve it.

Don't get grabbed

Latias

Smash Journeyman
misleading title, bad picture.

have fun at the tournament!

dont get grabbed, and if you roll, you're ****ed.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
XD Great pictures Fino. And I've learned that rolling bit, Latias :( And yea, Fino gave me some pointers on this last week, though I'm still interested in what the rest of you have to say about it :) One thing I learned from watching Zulu's videos: while on a platform above IC's, pivot grabbing seems to lead to good results.

Oh yea, and dthrows with area effects (yellow and red) really seem to shine in this mu.

Noa.

Smash Master
I know Rich posted this a long time ago:

Mashing out of grabs properly:
Ok, so lets say you hold up on your control stick, then move your control stick in the 8 cardinal directions. That equals 8 inputs. However, if you are holding your control stick to the far left, then move it to the right, that is 4 inputs. Which means that moving it left to right then back to left is 8 inputs. That's considerably faster than swinging your control stick in a circle over and over.

While doing that, mash your shield button, special attack button, standard attack button, and jump button (which is usually L, B, A, and X respectively, but I know some people have weird controls). Hitting any other button will not register as an input at all. So assuming you have a completely standard control scheme, Z, R, Y, Dpad, and the Cstick will not help you at all.

This should enable you to break out of IC grabs almost instantly up to 20% or so. Even after that you can still break out pretty fast if they have to wait that half second for nana to catch up.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
yeah, the blues and white can pivot grab them thru the blizzard, but its also been discovered that any non white pikmin (preferable purple or yellow) can usmash them out of desynched blizzard by timing it then running in underneath and u smashing. The pivot grab does take nasty/dirty spacing.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
bthrowing is the best way to seperate icies. Once popo is thrown, nana runs right at olimar. Perfect for olimar to charge and release a dsmash.

Icies are just going to approach with blizzard. Fsmash stops squal hammer pretty well and ice blocks get out camped easily by pikmin.

For stages, we need stages with a lot of room to pivot grab and camp. FD isnt so bad as a neutral, YI can stop some blizzard approaches unless the platform is leaning towards us. SV is a good neutral because sometimes we can retreat on the platform if pressured.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
No, you cannot reliably pivot grab through an Ice Climber's Blizzard, and even if you could, trying to do so is extremely dangerous against one that knows what he's doing. If anything, learn how to usmash through it. It's a lot more effective.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Bthrowing in a lot of cases is also dangerous, its best that you have an elmental like red,yellow or white, so that you don't get hit out of grab with an attack.

Just some advice, don't try to sit there and camp them in this matchup. It doesn't work,like at all. They will rush you and if they get into your zone, try not to panic too much.

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
OLIMAR vs. IC - Tutorial/hints/MU-

Well ill do Hilt a favor and resume up all there is to IC MU :)

I havent really read any of your post since they dont really seem to have much emphasis on them.
I shall grant you tips and hints to face the IC from my personal experience VS the IC.

First of all have in mind that IC is a paired character, THE ONLY WAY THEY WIN is by using those ******** infinite chain grabs and grab to smash combos, but dont think its impossible to win just because of this, for they are VERY EASY to fight against and easy to get them "involved". (dominican saying)

Things to have in mind:

-As soon as the match starts dont go all epic with your running grab combos, the first thing you must do is camp and space (same ****??)

-Ice climber has a variety of attacks that can easily get you to 32% which are blizzard, Dsmash and Side-b.

-Avoid getting grabbed for it is an easy stock for them.

-If you separate them any time during the battle, dont waste time, and KO the CPU (nana in normal colors, popo in new colors)

FIGHT THE IC

As soon as your match starts, pluck all your pikmins, and get as far as possible, notice that the IC will normally start throwing ice (B move) through the ground, they also de-synch to make the spam harder to avoid. but its generally easy since you an just jump over or hit them back. they might also try to approach using desynch Blizzards, Shield and run or jump over them.

First things first, remember that you must always rely on you wonderful pikmin, if you have any whites, throw them at will, throw purples to try to separate them, this works since nana has a small delay to do what popo does first.

If they intend to approach you using dodge mind games and such, pivot grab them or back step forward smash, (dont know how its called).

Nana is likely to to get hit by almost all FSmashes, if not the opponent would have to hold down the shield longer, which means you get an opportunity to grab.

NOTE WHEN GRABBING

- when you land a grab, QUICKLY dispose of the person you grabbed. Depending on the person you proceed, if you grabbed the CPU, recommended to throw him away from the player, and try to kill him (since CPU recoveries suck), WATCH out for the player, he will go towards you and try to defend the CPU, but since hes alone, hes easy to read and easy to punish. Fsmash and Dsmash are your friends :)
If you grab the player, throw him as far away from the CPU, as you try to KO or rack up damage to the CPU remember that the CPU can attack on its own, so be careful at high percents.

- Avoiding chain grabs.

IC consist of about 3 or 4 chaingrabs.

Luckily for us the IC can only perform 2 of them to olimar.

- one where they constantly throw you back and forth, back and forth.. this is the one you should avoid the most.. The only way to escape it is not getting grabbed or hoping for the player to miss.

-The other is one where they grab you, Fthrow you and nana Fairs you down, so they can continue taking you till the edge and spike you... but... WE CAN AVOID THIS CHAIN GRAB ;)

- First, every time they try to Fair you in the chain grab, SDi behind them, you should appear behind and out of the way for another grab, but you should react fast and run away. or pivot grab. depending on the situation.

- If somehow they manage to grab you on the edge, there are 3 ways you can avoid being KO'd. you can either Di to the edge and tech (hard) , SDi to the platform (medium) or UP b as soon as they spike you (since olimar can Meteor cancel a spike with his Upb).

#2 is best but tricky
#1 takes skill but not that hard
# 3 is the easiest but you are always up to being edgehogged or maybe the Upb fail.

TIPS

General tips for vs IC

- Pick stages with lots of platforms (Battlefield, yoshis island, Delphino plaza, etc.) it ruins the CPU player since they have to shield allot.

- You can easily Gimp IC recovery, when popo throws nana up, hes vulnerable to any attack, but be careful, the timing is strict, i suggest to throw PURPLE PIKMINS (cute) if they ever intend to use Bup.

- If you manage to grab one of the IC from a far distance, while you pummel him, if the other IC gets close, he will also get hit by the pummeling, Red pikmins and Whites are suggested for pummeling.

- Up smash and Uairs with Yellow pikmins tend to seperate them and apply pressure. if the IC ever appear un top of you, apply Uair and Usmash mind games, ALSO avoid his Dair, which is like a falling attack with huge priority (but a yellow pikmin beats it).

- If you decide to approach with an attack, use spaced Nairs, its big priority normally seperate these two.

- If you get grabbed at high percent, the IC normally intend to smash you and KO that stock, one IC holds you while the other smashes you. Try to get loose as fast as you can, and if you dont make it in time, be ready for your SDi directing to the top corner!! its most likely youll survive.

- When you manage to separate Nana from popo, follow the CPU with Fairs, and use Fsmashes to back up the player behind you.

- If an IC is alone and UpB edge hog right away!! its an easy kill!

- IC normally recover with their SideB, which is like a tornado, with HUGE priority, and huge ascending, SHIELD at all cost till the attack ends and Punish with Usmash, or Fair, which ever you wish. :)

- When returning to the stage, try to rise with Uair since its a high priority move and the IC seem to eat it up most times.

Well when i remember anything more ill edit the post, since im very tired and cant think up on anything else.

I hope my data is useful to all of you :)

I just want to help out :D and prove that im a valuable player (even though i dont think i can prove it by just posting :S)

- William

Dnyce

Smash Master
(1) As soon as the match starts dont go all epic with your running grab combos, the first thing you must do is camp and space (same ****??)

(2) Nana is likely to to get hit by almost all FSmashes, if not the opponent would have to hold down the shield longer, which means you get an opportunity to grab.

(3) IC consist of about 3 or 4 chaingrabs.
Luckily for us the IC can only perform 2 of them to olimar.

(4) The other is one where they grab you, Fthrow you and nana Fairs you down, so they can continue taking you till the edge and spike you... but... WE CAN AVOID THIS CHAIN GRAB ;)

(5) Pick stages with lots of platforms (Battlefield, yoshis island, Delphino plaza, etc.) it ruins the CPU player since they have to shield allot.

(6) You can easily Gimp IC recovery, when popo throws nana up, hes vulnerable to any attack, but be careful, the timing is strict, i suggest to throw PURPLE PIKMINS (cute) if they ever intend to use Bup.

(7) ALSO avoid his Dair, which is like a falling attack with huge priority (but a yellow pikmin beats it).

(8) If you decide to approach with an attack, use spaced Nairs, its big priority normally seperate these two.

(9) Try to get loose as fast as you can, and if you dont make it in time, be ready for your SDi directing to the top corner!! its most likely youll survive.

(10) When you manage to separate Nana from popo, follow the CPU with Fairs, and use Fsmashes to back up the player behind you.

(11) If an IC is alone and UpB edge hog right away!! its an easy kill!

(12) IC normally recover with their SideB, which is like a tornado, with HUGE priority, and huge ascending, SHIELD at all cost till the attack ends and Punish with Usmash, or Fair, which ever you wish. :)
(1) Camping the ICs results in desync blizzard which puts you at a disadvantage. At the beginning of the game there isn't too much you can do about it though. If ICs just hold B before the match begins they are already desynced (only nana will shoot an iceblock, and popo will probably run forward and bit and immediately blizzard).

(2) Forward smashes aren't that hard to shield. Dabuz and Vocal can vouch for me on that from playing my ICs on wifi. There is a 6 frame delay of inputs between popo and nana, but if they're running forward it's fairly easy to just shield, and the hit will lag on popo's shield and allow nana to be able to shield it as well.
(2) If they shield the fsmash it is NOT a free grab for you, it's very easy for ICs to jab, blizzard, squall, fsmash, almost anything out of shield before Olimar can grab, and olimar then proceeds to get jewed by lack of grab armor. Best option it to just get away, lol.

(3) ICs have a VAST array of Chain Grabs

(4) Most Ice climbers won't use this CG, it's very unreliable as you mentioned.

(5) Platforms don't make them shield more. Platforms are good because they help you avoid grabs. It's either try to land w/o getting grabbed or land on a platform without getting uair'd and uair is by far the lesser of the two evils.

(6) Purple pikmin work; however, fsmash is very reliable (you don't always have a purple pikmin next in line).

(7) Every colored pikmin uair beats dair

(8) If they shield your nair, it's a free grab for them - not recomended

(9) It's most likely you won't survive... -_-''

(10) Charging a dsmash is very good against returning nana since all she will do is hopelessly run back to popo

(11) I don't understand what this means.. lol

(12) You can shield it, but it doesn't have as much priority as you say. In fact, it also has zero - a lot of attacks will hit one of the ICs and put the other into helpless falling. Fsmash beats it, pivot grab / normal grab will beat it, usmash will beat it, purple pikmin toss - those are your best options against squall

A side note: if they're recovering from below with squall, don't be afraid to just jump into it. If they're hitting someone it severely hurts their vertical ascension.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just making notes of what I thought about your write up ;)

Excellence

Smash Champion
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to this match-up, if you ask me. Ice Climbers are nothing but a big gimmick. The match-up is all about avoiding getting grabbed by Ice Climbers while dealing safe damage to them. Look at what Fino said for when they're recovering because that works out really well.

What no one really mentioned was choice in stages and counter picks. Usually, I would say avoid picking large flat stage because Ice Climbers really thrive on those types of stages but since Olimar can camp so well you may want to keep Final Destination in play if you're confident in your ability to keep them away. The Ice Climbers I play like to pick Battlefield because they enjoy Up Air comboing utilizing the platforms.

A decent counterpick stage is one that will mess up the Ice Climbers grabs as well as make them vulnerable to your own attacks via platforms or random things that mess with the CPU Climber. I personally like picking Orpheon Frigate or Lylat Cruise. I like how Orpheon has that platform and the stage's lack of a ledge ****s up Nana just as much as it does Olimar.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
bthrowing is the best way to seperate icies. Once popo is thrown, nana runs right at olimar. Perfect for olimar to charge and release a dsmash.

Icies are just going to approach with blizzard. Fsmash stops squal hammer pretty well and ice blocks get out camped easily by pikmin.

For stages, we need stages with a lot of room to pivot grab and camp. FD isnt so bad as a neutral, YI can stop some blizzard approaches unless the platform is leaning towards us. SV is a good neutral because sometimes we can retreat on the platform if pressured.
Down throw when u grab the ICs. It causes damage that will hit nana away. Use normal Dthrow followups and u'll be fine.

Stages to CP would include stuff like Brinstar, delfino, and if ur confident, i guess rainbow cruise and frigate. Avoid FD, BF is also pretty bad, YI, they can desynch blizzard camp under the platform so yeah, no.

Greward

Smash Lord
cant IC do a platform cancel correctly? if they can i wouldnt go SV
FD is a crazy idea lol ban it

best stage against IC is rainbow cruise imo, in europe its not allowed so i would cp stages like lylat or PS1

i dont know too much about this matchup

to gimp nana out stage go for the footstool, sometimes i dair spiked nana then popo grabbed the ledge and i died lol pretty stupid

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Down throw when u grab the ICs. It causes damage that will hit nana away. Use normal Dthrow followups and u'll be fine.

Stages to CP would include stuff like Brinstar, delfino, and if ur confident, i guess rainbow cruise and frigate. Avoid FD, BF is also pretty bad, YI, they can desynch blizzard camp under the platform so yeah, no.
Check the stage discussion thread, it says YI stops some desynched blizzard approaches.

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah Saget YI doesn't seem too bad since I would imagine that the platform may keep them from approaching with desynched blizzard from time to time. Depends on its angles. Albeit I've never played there against Icies so In not too sure.

In fact I've only played against Icies once in tourney against Oli.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Ive learned something Ice Climbers are very succeptible to air camping. On battlefied this works well because you can jump from platform to platform forcing them to try and uair you,which you can most likely get around. I suspect this would work well on Lylat as well.

It just seems going into this matchup on "autopilot" will get you *****. We really don't have that many options against them.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Ive learned something Ice Climbers are very succeptible to air camping. On battlefied this works well because you can jump from platform to platform forcing them to try and uair you,which you can most likely get around. I suspect this would work well on Lylat as well.

Nooooooooooooooooo
^^^^^^^ (im assuming you think that because you watched my tourney match vs. orion, but he didn't know how to punish it well at all, in most cases i couldn't of abused the platforms like that)

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i dont play ics lawl, i just had no other option because i know he sucks vs the character and i have no olimar experience with mk. dabuz is a very strong player in the matchup so it seemed like a good choice

i just hoped him sucking would be enough for the win XD

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
i dont play ics lawl, i just had no other option because i know he sucks vs the character and i have no olimar experience with mk. dabuz is a very strong player in the matchup so it seemed like a good choice

i just hoped him sucking would be enough for the win XD
I think this is the first non-troll post I've ever seen from you :D

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Check the stage discussion thread, it says YI stops some desynched blizzard approaches.
I don't need to. If they are directly under the platform, they can wall us with Blizzard. Try to go on top and u get Uair'd. The platform will not stop a projectile going from underneath it and the ICs would be underneath YI so its pretty much a powerful position for them.

It just seems going into this matchup on "autopilot" will get you *****. We really don't have that many options against them.
Olimar does have a greater air speed than the Ics but its not good enough to be able to successfully avoid them by jumping back and forth between platforms. U'd need at least G&W air speed to do that.

RichBrown

Smash Master
This MU is ridiculously boring to watch lol

I just try to get those purples in between all the **** ICs are throwing at me

ICs can be grabbed, people forget to grab them sometimes

When you get Popo away, charge a dsmash and let Nana run into it instead of going after her (or charge usmash if you think she's at KO percents).

If they get to close I just jump really high above them and use whistle bouncing to mixup my landing, then retreating fair on their shield so they can't grab me.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
depending, if its slanted towards us we're screwed. If it isnt we can retreat to the platform and just shield the uairs.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
But Bob...why would I want to play on a stage where I'm screwed half of the time? Not to mention a stage that screws up my fsmash at places, but that a personal gripe (**** you angled floors on YI and Brinstar...)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So since this conversation is kind of dwindling down (not exactly large to begin with lol) what ARE the best stages to take ICs too? Best and second best neutral, and best and second best cp. I think banning FD is a given :D

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Considering all of the neutrals.

I'd personally take them to Halberd or Pokemon stadium. Halberd, low ceiling, good for us, PS1, we adapt better to stage changes then they do. Some of the Delfino transformations eff us when fighting them. **** FD & **** Yoshi's. BF, Smashville are alright. Lylat just doesn't sound good cause of tilting level. Castle Siege is probably also alright, watch out for stage 3, they win there.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Castle Siege is a crap choice.
Will probably go into detail later.

Also, please explain how the tilting of Lylat hurts us more than it hurts them, Tin Man.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
we lose the ability to spam effectively and Fsmash properly when it is tilted against us. The chain grab they perform on us isn't very much affected by the tilts. Only their Ice blocks are affected by the tilts. There is not much room to escape on Lylat. The platforms are close to the ground, and none of them reach past the main platform.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I second Tin Man's post. Lylat is a bad choice against anyone who will be trying to juggle you simply due to how low the platforms are - you will be eating uairs everytime you land. I also like the sound of SV and Halberd.

@Scatt: if they jump high enough you can Usmash them when you are given an opportunity to jump in. You can also time a purple throw to hit them regardless of their jump height; you just have to time it very well.

That's about it O_o There's a reason why people say Blizzard ***** Oli - it's true.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Anyone know how to get passed desynched blizzard walls other than jumping over them?
Run in and usmash when Popo (or the player character) is about to jump and Blizzard. Time it well, use a Yellow or purple for range, definitely not a white.

When the stage is tilted on Lylat so that Olimar is at the top, and ICs are at the bottom, good luck getting past desynched Blizzards. Can't run in and Usmash. Same as if they control the center of ICs. The slopes benefit them.

Top Bottom