• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake vs. Zero Suit Samus

-Ran

Smash Master
Zss is a matter of knowing when you can actually attack. She has a ton of moves that you would think you can punish, but you simply can't. It's these gut reactions that lead to set ups for ZSS.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
-Know when to attack and what you can/can't punish.
-Don't throw anything at all except nades out blindly.
-Mix up your DI on her U-air, Dsmash, and Up-b
-Pieces will get Snake *****. I like to get rid of all but one and use that.
-Out of side step ZSS's like to U-tilt and Jab.
-The edges are not the best place to be. She has a Side-B, D-smash, Neutral Special. So think bout it.
-Shes has lots of great landing traps.(Side-B, Dsmash, etc.) Mix up your landings.

That's all I can think of, for now.

napZzz

Smash Hero
That is because they are stupid.
It's actually much at least 40:60 ZSS:Snake
you should've just said 6/4 snake

this seems like another matchup where you'll get ****ed if you dont know the tricks, not like there are very many zero suits to learn from

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
-Know when to attack and what you can/can't punish.
-Don't throw anything at all except nades out blindly.Throwing out nades blindly isn't good either. Why would you EVER throw out blind attacks?
-Mix up your DI on her U-air, Dsmash, and Up-b Uair will string through most DI at low %, DIing d-smash doesn't do enough to help you escape anything except for possibly edgeguards, up-b... dunno.
-Pieces will get Snake *****. I like to get rid of all but one and use that.
-Out of side step ZSS's like to U-tilt and Jab.D-tilt, more jabs, run away.
-The edges are not the best place to be. She has a Side-B, D-smash, Neutral Special. So think bout it.Side-B can ALWAYS be DAed through as Snake. D-smash is good. Nb can be hit/shielded. Plus, there's only two levels of charge. if you see us charge AT ALL, it HAS to be a full charge.
-Shes has lots of great landing traps.(Side-B, Dsmash, etc.) Mix up your landings.The best thing to do is land with a nade in your hand, racing away. We can punish up-close with d-smash/uair, and far away with grab/side-b. Always have a nade, as it MAY hit us.

That's all I can think of, for now.

There you go.

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... Fsmash or do sticky shenanigans if you feel confident on missed grabs, we outcamp her obviously also edgehog the recovery but watch out for down B,when landing you need to use wavebounced nades and random Bairs if close(if you can predict the Uair air dodge it with a fastfall).

Don't get launched into the air since Uair pretty much destroys us if you can you can just pull out a nade when she is going to Uair you and DI away. Dtilt is one of the tools she will use to launch you into the air and juggle you. Please don't spotdoge since you can be punished really hard for it with Dsmash shenanigans.

When edgeguarding please try to cover up her already limited options to recover with C4s,mines and edgehogging.

We live long in this MU and she dies really early but she can rack up damage really fast. Please correct me if i am wrong with anything and hello Snake boards ^.^

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
She wracks up damage fast, but only once Snake is launched. Her only real advantage here is that she has an amazing air game and Snake's is awful.

Snake also has to be careful when recovering. There's basically nothing he can do to avoid taking 20-30% damage every time he's launched off-stage.

With that said Snake has a clear stats advantage and ZSS has to approach. Granted she doesn't have much of a problem doing that because IMO 'nade camping is only as big a deal as she makes of it; ZSS has the 4th best ground speed, which is really helpful here. She can also easily avoid Snake's KO options.

Snake's dash attack is pretty **** annoying to me.

Snake's advantage, but by how much I'm not really sure, it isn't much.

Sake-Hato

Smash Apprentice
once you get through the pieces it u should be good to go.
Snakes Dash attack ***** Zss it like clashes 75% of her moves,space with ftilt & dont get to greedy when playing her she will rack up damage quick if you through constant random tilts for kills you have to set up properly to get the kill because zss can just play the keep away game with her side b.
I find it useful to set more C4 then usual in this matchup because it limits her options and gives me more of a stage control

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
once you get through the pieces it u should be good to go.
Snakes Dash attack ***** Zss it like clashes 75% of her moves,it does no such thing. Dash Attack is only good for destroying our side-b.space with ftilt & dont get too greedy when playing her she will rack up damage quick. If you through constant random tiltsBecaused everybody knows these aren't punishable. We can shield-grab f-tilt and u-tilt. for kills you have to set up properly to get the kill because zss can just play the keep away game with her side b.This move sucks vs. Snake.
I find it useful to set more C4 then usual in this matchup because it limits her options and gives me more of a stage controlWouldn't you do this with every character?
Uhh... yeah.

Sake-Hato

Smash Apprentice
but snakes dash attacks clashes with your Side B,Nutral B,Armor pieces,your dash attack & dsmash(not so sure). i feel sash attack dose great in this matchup its a good approach and it get snake really close to zss without feeling the need to spot doge alot.

As for the c4 i wouldn't use c4 like i would in this matchup because i dont believe zss would snake is a bad position for him to C4 up.
Zss side B Imo <---Imo >_> is good enough i mean not for killing but for spacing us out of your uncomforted zone

-Ran

Smash Master
Let's examine the issues that Snake has:
1) After he has used his Cypher, he is incredibly weak returning to the stage.
- Zss is able to punish Snake incredibly easy when he's doing this, as long as she abstains from her grab.
2) Snake's recovery is very vertical and punishable.
- When fresh, ZSS can knock you out of Cypher with many of her moves, but more importantly she can force an air dodge out of Cypher by utilizing her forward B to space, even without the intention of hitting.
3) Snake likes to throw them 'nades.
- Zss has an above average movement speed both in the air, and on the ground. Most of her moves are NOT multihit, and allow her to avoid accidentally exploding grenades. Furthermore, she has an excellent glide toss if she manages to catch a grenade long enough to use it. With her fast jab, she'll be fine.
4) Snake's ground and pound.
- If ZSS shields your first F-tilt, she can grab you. Regardless of how you space it, if I recall.
- Zss's Out of shield game is relatively poor, as long as you do not give her the opportunity to do something with you due to move lag. This means using grenades effectively to force her to react OOS.
- Many of ZSS's ground moves are deceptive in how long their end-lag would be: Dash attack, Down Smash, Forward B, up-tilt, and a few others.
- Against ZSS, you must tech carefully. Down smash to Up b can happen, and if you aren't prepared to tech/DI properly, will result in extra, unnecessary damage.
- D-smash is amazing, and gives ZSS a reliable kill setup into her aerials.
5) Snake hates to be in the air.
- Zss can kill from the air with Uair and Bair at respectable percents.
- Zss will juggle with Uair more often than not, and some have adapted trickery with Nair due to its larger hitsun.
- There's also the possibility of Up B to 'yoink' you down into an Up air.
6) Snake can't edge guard off the stage.
- Aside from perfectly timing a bair during ZSS's side b or up b to the level, Snake can't venture out against her. Missing her, results on Snake being on the ledge, and he has incredibly poor options there.
- Zss can edgeguard Snake incredibly well, if at the least for damage. Unfortunately, her edge game isn't that hot either. Her Nair lacks range off the edge, and her Side-B risks the chance of retethering.

Correct me, Mr. McRiddle.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
but snakes dash attacks clashes with your Side B,Nutral B,Armor pieces,your dash attack & dsmash(not so sure). Almost everything clashes with the first three. It does NOT clash with DA, and Downsmash never clashes with anything. i feel sash attack dose great in this matchup its a good approach and it get snake really close to zss without feeling the need to spot doge alot. If you approach with dash-attack, you are going to get hit.

As for the c4 i wouldn't use c4 like i would in this matchup because i dont believe zss would snake is a bad position for him to C4 up.
Zss side B Imo <---Imo >_> is good enough i mean not for killing but for spacing us out of your uncomforted zone
Side-b is too slow to be an effective spacer on somebody with a projectile. (Like Snake.)

<3
teach me ZSS. Haha.
Come to the ZSS boards then. :D

Let's examine the issues that Snake has:
1) After he has used his Cypher, he is incredibly weak returning to the stage.
- Zss is able to punish Snake incredibly easy when he's doing this, as long as she abstains from her grab. her grab is actually very useful in this situation. It's the longest grab (distance) in the game, so we can grab you further away than anybody else.
2) Snake's recovery is very vertical and punishable.
- When fresh, ZSS can knock you out of Cypher with many of her moves, but more importantly she can force an air dodge out of Cypher by utilizing her forward B to space, even without the intention of hitting.
3) Snake likes to throw them 'nades.
- Zss has an above average movement speed both in the air, and on the ground. Most of her moves are NOT multihit, and allow her to avoid accidentally exploding grenades. Furthermore, she has an excellent glide toss if she manages to catch a grenade long enough to use it. With her fast jab, she'll be fine. If her third jab wasn't always punishable, this would be totally true.
4) Snake's ground and pound.
- If ZSS shields your first F-tilt, she can grab you. Regardless of how you space it, if I recall.Both hits of f-tilt. Jab, and u-tilt.
- Zss's Out of shield game is relatively poor, as long as you do not give her the opportunity to do something with you due to move lag. This means using grenades effectively to force her to react OOS.This confused be when you started talking about nades. Why bring them up?
- Many of ZSS's ground moves are deceptive in how long their end-lag would be: Dash attack, Down Smash, Forward B, up-tilt, and a few others. This is true. How short some of our ending lag is confuses people, (D-tilt/D-smash) and then sometimes we have stupid amounts of ending lag. (U-tilt/Dash Attack)
- Against ZSS, you must tech carefully. Down smash to Up b can happen, and if you aren't prepared to tech/DI properly, will result in extra, unnecessary damage.(It's normally the other way around. Also, teching can get you into trouble as well. We can read techs for another d-smash, grab, or side-b.
- D-smash is amazing, and gives ZSS a reliable kill setup into her aerials.Why yes... yes it is.
5) Snake hates to be in the air.
- Zss can kill from the air with Uair and Bair at respectable percents.And fair's second hit
- Zss will juggle with Uair more often than not, and some have adapted trickery with Nair due to its larger hitsun.
- There's also the possibility of Up B to 'yoink' you down into an Up air.
6) Snake can't edge guard off the stage.
- Aside from perfectly timing a bair during ZSS's side b or up b to the level, Snake can't venture out against her. Missing her, results on Snake being on the ledge, and he has incredibly poor options there.
- Zss can edgeguard Snake incredibly well, if at the least for damage. Unfortunately, her edge game isn't that hot either. Her Nair lacks range off the edge, and her Side-B risks the chance of retethering. Backwards nair's range is stupid huge actually. Just... no ZSS but me uses it from what I've seen.

Correct me, Mr. McRiddle.Mr. McGriddle
Huzzah!

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
What I mean is, by using properly timed/placed grenades to force ZSS to shield, it enables you to put her into a poor situation due to her OSS options.
I guess if the ZSS is scared of nades, and doesn't like jumping, it could work.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Nick wats the best option if a ZSS's dsmash hits snakes sheild?
For Snake?
ZSS is actually safe if a d-smash hits your shield. We have a +3, or something like that, so we can followup without fear of getting hit. So, it's normally stay in your shield, or drop shield pull nade.

Underload

Lazy
I'm following Mizu! I've actually been playing mostly ZSS the past 2 weeks. Watching videos of Nick and Dazwa, figuring out the spacing on her moves, etc. It feels nice have a character that has some quick moves & frame advantage. Probably time to get some better information.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I forgot these were the snake boards where we are supposed to be snake mains

anyone got a definite mu ratio?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I think it's pretty even on some stages, and blatantly ZSS" favor on others (like RC and Brinstar) but definitely for Snake on neutrals.

RATED

Smash Lord
On brinstar its not a complete lost at least we can kill really early in that stage o.o
we can kill early everytime we want, we use snake :laugh:

I don't think that Snake vs ZSS is that bad in Brinstar or RC srsly

you just have to adapt your playstyle in those stages against the character, snake can adapt well considering his tools(grenades, blah blah blah)

I agree with you all in 60:40 Snake favour

Calzorz

Smash Lord
hmm a hard one , sometimes armour peices can be just **** to get the lead but sometimes they work against the zss at the start but thats only for the 1st stock really other than that i have no problem with 60:40 snake

Sync.

Smash Champion
I suggest for at the beginning of the match to be able to z catch those armor pieces. Read your opponent for favorite ways of approach with them such as glide toss or dropping them from above or something. Those pieces are **** against you but the **** just as hard so I suggest taking control of them as if you were playing a Diddy. It can really help if you take the lead early because it's hard to get it back from Snake because he dies so late.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Snake using Zamus' armor pieces is the exact same concept as anyone but Diddy using his bananas. Snake cannot use them nearly as effectively as her. Many Zamus' tend to throw all but one off the stage for mobility purposes/risk of not having them used against her. But even if we do get one we don't have a (usuable) Glide Toss lol I'd rather toss it off the stage and just eliminate any chance or her getting it back. I like using ADCT (air dodge canceled throw) as a safe way of getting rid of badly thrown pieces.

60-40 Snake seems just fine as a ratio. Zamus' CPs arent that bad for us anyway.

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
I think this matchup is in Snake's favor but I think 55:45. ZSS is very good at juggling and Snake is susceptible to juggling.

Top Bottom