• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Usage of Tether in Throw Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
After initially deciding to post this in the social, I then chose to make a new thread for it since there's a lot of information contained in it and hopefully discussion will arise from (and social should at least be kinda social :)) And I dropped my usual text color to make this easier to read (sorry if you have some weird, exclusive skin).

Now down to business.

When I made my post earlier today, I forgot to mention that a tether follow up is really only for when opponents DI away; uair is always better if they're close enough :) However, a lot of times they're too far away (darn SDI), so tether comes in handy.

Even so, what's stopping you from throwing out a tether after you uair? In some cases it might not be safe, but it can be a lot of times. This is another thing I've been doing lately, especially on DDD - he's such a huge target that it's almost impossible to miss, and when used properly it racks damage FAST. So this is why I created this thread - to discuss when and when not to use tether after a throw combo.

Let's do some damage comparison. Pikmin do different damamge percentages of course, and though I don't think it's necessary to go that in depth on each pikmin possibility, I still wanted a good idea of things; as such, I did each string several times with different pikmin orders. Also, just to keep things even, I tested these using combinations of only red, yellow, and blue pikmin due the properties surrounding white and purple dthrows and the low damage output of white attacks (lol white attacks :chuckle:). This will suffice just to let us compare combo/string damage potentials. Also, I tested these in Training, so move staling will apply to some of these, leading to lower damage output and, in some cases, a higher chance of comboability.

Dthrow > Fair = ~20-25%
---The basic combo, and usually a result of people getting out of the way of a regrab if you're going for it. Certainly nothing to laugh at; it does a decent amount of damage for something that's so guaranteed.

Dthrow > Usmash > Uair = ~39-48%
---HUGE damage racker - if you're able to pull this off it's amazing, as you all already know. It can also be DIed away from by smaller and lighter characters though, as you already know as well. It also has a damage output to quite similar to the regrab shanigans you can pull on someone at 0% (more on that later).

Dthrow > Usmash > Tether = ~28-33%
---Baasically, this is doing more damage than dthrow>fair, but less than this same string ending with a Uair. If you know someone is going to DI far enough out of your grab range if you try to go for a fair>regrab (perhaps they did it on an earlier stock) you should go for the usmash. (Unless you've got purples to throw, which opens up so many more grab opportunities, <3 Rich :D ) If after the Usmash you see they've DIed too far to be hit with uair, just go for the tether - it's more damage than you would do with a whiffed uair and many people will not expect it (at least not right now).

Dthrow > Usmash > Usmash = ~33-39%
---This works on some of the heavies, but only if they DI improperly, or they DI close enough for you to get in a second hyphen smash. Not seen much, but I figured I'd put it on here anyways. Succeptible to move staling obviously (not sure how much moves stale or else I'd just change the percentages).

Dthrow > Fair > Grab > Dthrow > Fair = ~42-48%
---Like Stealth pointed out, people can SDI the fair to get out of regrab distance, and like Fino pointed out a lot of people are just jumping now (which can be exploited, but we're talking about strings atm); however, if it works on someone then this is great. Fair stales, so this actually has a lower damage range than listed here, making Dthrow>Usmash>Uair a better string if you can get it to land, so the other has a higher reward while this one is more reliable.

Dthrow > Usmash > Uair > Tether = ~46-56%
---THIS is the big dog in town. None of the other combos come close to matching its maximum damage output (only grab shenanigans on heavies do), and only a few barely reach its minimum. I need to do more testing with this to see if people adapt, but believe me when I tell you: it works, and it is amazing. This works best on heavy characters (it DESTROYS DDD, such a huge uair and tether target), but it also works on normal weight characters; however, it has the highest succes rate on ordinary weight characters if the uair is yellow, as yellow uairs stop the opponent from rising while Oli still does, setting up better positioning for the tether. This combo IS DI dependent; if an opponent chooses to DI above Oli, he can't follow up with tether, but if they go to the side you're probably gonna land it. If the opponent is to the side but still too high, you can also just wait a moment for him to fall into tether range - once again, people don't expect it (at least not yet).
---Something to note: this can be performed on some heavies after a second dthrow at the beginning. I tried it on Snake and Falco and was able to do it sometimes, while other times they were just out of reach; I have a feeling that move staling on the dthrow makes this easier during actual gameplay. Also, even if all hits of the uair don't connect, as long as the last hit pops them up you can still hit them with a tether.
---One more important thing to note about this string is that it will only work if you have five-six pikmin in your line (the more, the better) and then only if all of them follow you. Several times during testing, one or two of my pikmin (either both the Dthrow and Usmash pikmin or just the Usmash pikmin) would remain on the ground, making my tether too short to reach the opponent (two on the ground making a six pikmin line too short, one on the ground making a five pikmin line too short).

Dthrow > Tether =~14-18%
---This section is less important than the others, but I still felt I should put it in here since it is closely related. It's very simple: Dthrow, watch your opponent's DI, dash forward the proper distance, and grounded tether. This is a string that is only for opponents at mid-high percentages (depending on weight), meaning the point at which other follow ups either become impossible or highly dangerous to perform, the point at which we generally don't think of dthrow having a follow up really. At these percentages, Dthrow sends opponents up into the air far enough that they will not be able to punish a grounded tether, while other options like Uair run the risk of being air dodge or flat out beaten (Marth comes to mind). This would not work if the opponent DIs far away from Oli, but it is still very useful if they do not. It will also miss if the opponent jumps at the right time, but in that case they're jumping and won't be able to punish it anyways. Not to mention this is a solid amount of damage. But no one besides me likes grounded tether anyways, so feel free to ignore this section if you like ^_^

I think I covered all ordinary throw followups, excluding string on spacies/heavies which would require in depth analysis of their own. Basically, tether is just about the greatest combo string finisher Oli has. He can tack it on to nearly every other combo he can perform, and the best part about it is that he can use it from a distance without overextending himself or making himself vulnerable.

Feel free to disagree with or add to anything here; the point of this thread is to start some real conversation on this :)

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
hm... I've thought about one more string that i've seen no one ever do. I suggested it in the other thread, but apparently it's no where near guaranteed(I don't believe that though). Have you ever tried dthrow > short hop auto-canceled dair? After that, you can normally up smash them if they aren't lying on the ground. If they are, I believe that a sweet spotted dsmash is pretty easy to pull off. When I have landed this chain, it usually does around 50-60%.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hate to break it to you, but Rich has been telling us this works on Falco for ages ^_^ I didn't think to add it to the list, though I'm not sure it's as relevant as the others since it's only confirmed on one character

Noa.

Smash Master
There's honestly not much to discuss. It's useful and all and like Angbad said if/when we make a new guide this should definitely be in it.

We must bookmark it for when the time comes.

SiidSadik

Smash Cadet
If you have a purple pikmin the second in your lineup when the opponent is at 0%, you can dthrow then fsmash (with the purple), because the nature of a purple pikmin fsmash has upwards trajectory, then since the opponent was knocked upwards as opposed to backwards, you can do a hyphen smash, then follow it up with a uair, but i dont know how reliable the uair is

Greward

Smash Lord
dthrow- fsmash- dashgrab - whatever

it actually works on a lot of chars

dthrow - purple pikmin toss - fair

IcyLight

Smash Lord
you should put that these are just strings, there is no true combo that involves tether.

you can basically throw in tether after any vertical string (sends upwards usmash > uair > uair > etc) and it will be a true combo. However, it does not work at higher %'s consistently and gets harder and harder to hit with the tether the higher % they get. It's good from a 0% dthrow combo and can usually end a string with the tether, just don't put yourself into a ******** position by missing your tether :)

also, i may be playing again this will be my 2nd tournament on saturday after a long break, if i have fun/want to go back i can update my combo string thread with all the stuff i missed/didn't know about previously.

2much

Smash Rookie
THis is something I normally use in matchups... keep in mind my main vs are against snake, marth, rob... but Im pretty sure ive tested it against lighter characters too...

simply grab> downthrow> neutral air> usually hits them perfect for a tether.

Good amount of damage and places you safely away once their hit.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
THis is something I normally use in matchups... keep in mind my main vs are against snake, marth, rob... but Im pretty sure ive tested it against lighter characters too...

simply grab> downthrow> neutral air> usually hits them perfect for a tether.

Good amount of damage and places you safely away once their hit.
I remember pondering Dthrow > Nair a while ago, I think the main problem when thinking about it is that it's too dependent on DI

IcyLight

Smash Lord
I remember pondering Dthrow > Nair a while ago, I think the main problem when thinking about it is that it's too dependent on DI

dthrow > nair > uair > tether works, i do dthrow > nair > uair all the time and tether is optional if you feel it could connect.

usually dthrow into an aerial is purely dependant on their di unless at low %, you can usually fair/nair until at least 40% no problem though before you need to read DI.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
dthrow > nair > uair > tether works, i do dthrow > nair > uair all the time and tether is optional if you feel it could connect.

usually dthrow into an aerial is purely dependant on their di unless at low %, you can usually fair/nair until at least 40% no problem though before you need to read DI.
Interesting. Whenever I get a chance to play again I'll fool around with this

RichBrown

Smash Master
Lately at mid %s I've been doing uthrow-tether. I don't even think about it, I just buffer it and try to make it combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom