• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All the right moves in all the wrong places.(Disjointed hitbox explanations)

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
We've all had our fair share of encounters with attacks that have some fairly distinct disjoints that apply to them.
To begin, what is a disjoint?

Disjoint: An attacking "Red" hitbubble that is not attached to a vulnerable "Yellow" hitbubble. The Disjoint can be attacked, but the opponent will not sustain damage to the attacked region.
Examples of said hitboxes can be found easily by most Swordplay Characters, such as Marth, Ike, or Meta-Knight
Advantages:
-You cannot recieve damage when you are attacked in the area containing the disjoint, in the frames of the attack, that is.
-An attack containing a disjoint is normally a very good move in general, since it can add to the spacing game of most characters.
-You can attack enemies out of range with a longer ranged attack, which can also contribute to a character's spacing game.

Example: 2 characters stand before a Exploding Capsule: Snake and Mario.

Snake uses his Up Tilt (Long disjoint) to destroy the container. He does not sustain damage or knockback.
Mario, on the other hand, is caught in the explosion, and receives the normal amount of damage and knockback.

Snake's Up Tilt disjoint keeps him from being hit by the explosion(With the appropriate spacing, that is)
As Mario's Forward Smash, carrying him forward, does not.

Below is a list of every character in the Brawl series. Along with these characters, i am looking to add a list of disjointed moves held by each character.
Hope to fill this list up soon, please contribute! :)

:metaknight:

:snake: Up tilt
Forward Tilt
All Specials

:diddy:Bananas

:falco: Lasers
Reflector

:popo:

:marth: Everything. Save for Grabs.

:wario:

:dedede:

:pikachu2:Thunder Jolt
Thunder
Forward Smash

:olimar:
Usmash
Fsmash
Dsmash
Grab
Uair
Fair
Dair
Bair
Tether
Pikmin Throw

:lucario:
Everything except Dash Attack, Double Team, and Extremespeed

:gw: Back Air
Forward Air
Down Tilt
Forward Tilt
Down Smash
Forward Smash
Up Tilt

:pit: Arrows

:toonlink: Everything.

:zerosuitsamus: Plasma Whip
Plasma Wire
Paralyzer
Forward Smash
Up Smash
Neutral Air
Grab

:kirby2:Back Air
Down Tilt

:rob: Robo Beam
Gyro
Forward Smash

:dk2:Hand Slap

:peach: Turnips
Up Tilt
Forward Smash(Golf Club)
Peach Parasol

:fox: Lasers

:luigi2:Fireballs

:wolf: Blaster

:shiek: Needles
Chain

:pt:
A.:squirtle:
B :charizard:
C :ivysaur:

:sonic: Up Air

:ness2: PK Fire
PK Thunder
PK Flash
Forward Smash(Tipped)
Up Smash
Down Smash

:bowser2: Fire Breath

:lucas:Down Smash
Up Smash
Grab

:ike:

:yoshi2: Grab

:mario2: Fireballs
F.L.U.D.D
Up Tilt (I think it had a slight one)

:falcon:Up Tilt

:samus2: Zair
All specials, save for Screw attack.
Dair

:jigglypuff:

:zelda: Down Smash
Standard A
Nayru's Love
Din's Fire

:link2: Arrows
Bombs
Boomerang
Zair
All Tilts
All Smashes
Forward Air
Up Air
Down Air

:ganondorf: Up Tilt
Fsmash

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link :
Everything, unless projectiles don't count.

Captain Falcon :
Nothing D=.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I like the idea Lucas :)

I'm not entirely sure how useful it would to be more experienced players, but this seems aimed more at new members anyways so it may be quite useful. I can give you Olimar's:

Usmash
Fsmash
Dsmash
Grab (entirely disconnected from Olimar)
Uair
Fair
Dair
Bair
Tether (UpB)
Pikmin Throw (SideB)

Pretty sure I didn't miss anything, hope the thread goes well :)

UberMario

Smash Master
Yoshi's tongue is disjointed, it can even pierce Mach Tornado, also, I'm not sure if this counts or not, but if Captain Falcon uses side b, it can provide immunity to many projectiles, including Pit's arrows and I THINK Falco's lasers, but it's not invincibility in a sense because he can still be attacked with a physical move. Lucas' DSmash and USmash have decent-sized disjointed boxes aswell, as do many of Mr. Game & Watch's attacks.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Have you searched for this thread? I'm pretty sure someone did something like this at some point... But decent thread. Jiggs has no disjointed hitboxes; DK has only DownB.
I'm afraid i didn't search for a thread of this nature in the Brawl sub-forum, but thanks for the info.

Toon Link :
Everything, unless projectiles don't count.

Captain Falcon :
Nothing D=.
I've heard about Falcon's Up tilt having a slight disjoint before, so i'll just add that until further notice.
Added your Toon Link submission.

I like the idea Lucas :)

I'm not entirely sure how useful it would to be more experienced players, but this seems aimed more at new members anyways so it may be quite useful. I can give you Olimar's:

Usmash
Fsmash
Dsmash
Grab (entirely disconnected from Olimar)
Uair
Fair
Dair
Bair
Tether (UpB)
Pikmin Throw (SideB)

Pretty sure I didn't miss anything, hope the thread goes well :)
Added.

I know Ganondorf's up tilt has a massive one, and his forward smash has a slight one.
Also added

Yoshi's tongue is disjointed, it can even pierce Mach Tornado, also, I'm not sure if this counts or not, but if Captain Falcon uses side b, it can provide immunity to many projectiles, including Pit's arrows and I THINK Falco's lasers, but it's not invincibility in a sense because he can still be attacked with a physical move. Lucas' DSmash and USmash have decent-sized disjointed boxes aswell, as do many of Mr. Game & Watch's attacks.
Not sure if it can be called a disjoint since RB has ZERO priority until it hits something. I'll wait for confirmation on that one, but everything else has been added.

UberMario

Smash Master
Projectiles really shouldn't be considered disjointed hitboxes imo.

(BTW, how did you remember Luigi's fireballs but not Mario's?)

Dedede's hammer is disjointed. (Pretty much every land move except his dash attack and some grabs involve the hammer, as do several aerials) Kirby's Final Cutter has a disjointed hitbox too, as does his hammer.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Zelda's D-smash is considered disjointed? I don't how that is the case. Please explain.

As for moves to add:

Mr. G&W : F-smash, u-tilt (not sure if we could include Oil Panic due to it needing energy projectiles to work)

Peach: Parasol (up-b)

Zelda: Din's Fire (side-b)

Nice list btw.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Zelda's D-smash is considered disjointed? I don't how that is the case. Please explain.

As for moves to add:

Mr. G&W : F-smash, u-tilt (not sure if we could include Oil Panic due to it needing energy projectiles to work)

Nice list btw.
You forgot Zelda's fsmash and uair and a slight disjoint on her neutral B :)

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

As for moves to add:

Nice list btw.
Zelda is able to hit a bomb in front of her with this move without taking any damage, due to the disjointed hitbox.
If you want more explanation, consult the person who wrote that. I'm just the messager.
Added your submission, though :)
Thank you.

Top Bottom