• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Language of Brawl. Ch1.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Over the past week and a half, I've learned so much about this game.

Many of you play this game for the surface value. The flashing lights, cool colors, lucky 'combos', and the occasional friendly victory. It's as if you are reading a Manga without knowing the language, but the pictures alone are enough for you to keep reading, or at least trying to.

You don't understand the story but the artwork is amazing.

I used to play brawl like that. Just going with the flow, not really understanding key aspects but, I enjoyed the music, the noise, but I didn't understand the game.

Until recently.

Once you're able to speak and read the language that Manga becomes THAT Much better. And you can't put it down and you understand the finer aspects of that story.

In this post, I'm gonna help teach you the language of Brawl, and hopefully you can open your eyes to the amazing game this truly is.

The Guaranteed option:
Not many things in this game are Guaranteed. Usually you have to do some prediction or guessing, and your chances of hitting are resting on the idea that your move has frame advantage/priority/etc. But there's a way to literally hit them without their consent, not get punished and have complete control of the next action. And that's called the Guaranteed Option.

Depending on the tier of your character, you might not have as many Guaranteed Options (G.O) as other characters. Some have multiple per game, and some only have one or two. The higher tier your character, the better G.O's they have. But these things only come at max, perhaps 20 times a game, assuming you're MK, and they vary depending on the MU. It's your job to find, excise, and exploit these G.O's and use them every game. And this is where reads, and conditioning, and baiting come into play, but that's basic stuff that you should know. If you'd like me to expand on this point, let me know in the comments. Otherwise, I'll move on.

I play Wario, so an example would be vs Snake, a very irritating MU. During the game, I have no reason to face him in his face, for he has to many options that cover mine. So I'm going to play very defensively. But the second he Nairs, I'm going to go in for that Shield Grab, or that Clap. Granted, this doesn't happen very often. I could wait a whole Two minutes for this to happen, and only one G.O could come every two minutes. But I'm going to wait for it. It's my free damage, my free punish, my free kill. But this is why games last so long! Which leads me into my next point.

Disconnect between playing Gay and Safe:
It's no secret, that brawl is a defensive game. Every game from top players never ends in 3 minutes. Or 4 minutes. Why? Because each player is looking for that G.O. They are searching, and exploiting their character to do so. They will camp platforms, run away, stay on the ledge ,all to find that G.O. Sometimes it takes over two minutes to find the first one, and the next one won't come for 45 seconds Later. This makes games last so long. There is a large disconnect from 'playing gay' to 'playing safe.' Playing Gay implies that you are simply running for the sake of not being hit. Such that you are un touchable for no purpose other than to irritate your opponent and hope for a clock out. Playing Safe indicates that you are just using your time to wait for that G.O. And Safety does not always mean camping the ledge or hopping on platforms. It could mean pressuring them up close in order to force frame traps and irritating options for you to punish with a G.O.

Think about it. If you play Falco and you're fighting a Pikachu, what reason do you have to walk down near him? Camping platforms it not playing Gay, it's playing Safe. you're waiting for him to slip up, and take your G.O which could be as little as a jab, or as big as a Grab. But that's not going to happen very often, because in that MU, Falco has very little G.O's against Pikachu, and that's what makes it very difficult.

Often times, matches from top players last till about the last two minutes of a match. And some players decide to switch from playing Safe, to playing Gay, simply because the time out option becomes the G.O. Though the clock was never intended for such use, it became used for that. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. In short, if your matches are lasting about four or three minutes each match, you're probably playing this game incorrectly.

No such thing as 'kill percent.'
When somebody is at high percent. It's really easy for one to see that a certain move can kill them, but who's idea was it for people to infer that you must kill them at that percent? People have created definition to the idea that subsists on percent, and killing them with a certain move at a certain time. That doesn't exist. When Fox plays anybody, you know that his U smash can kill you at 100 usually. So why would that fox ever use U smash? why not just continue the match as normal? The idea behind this, is the higher the players percent, the more moves you have to kill them with, and the more options you are inadvertently stopping.

I feel an easy way to understand, is playing each stock as if you were trying to get them to 999. However if you kill them with a move, then so be it. You have the stock advantage now.

tl;dr?
If you don't have the patience to read this, you don't have nearly the amount of patience for Brawl.

If people want to read more then I'll write more. I'll leave it at these three points for now. I hope you enjoyed it. =] Thanks for reading.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
In short, if your matches are lasting about four or three minutes each match, you're probably playing this game incorrectly.
...You know, thinking about it now, I don't think I've ever had a match time out before. In fact, my matches tend to average around the 5-minute mark...

I think more self-reflecting on my strategy is necessary.

:069:

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
good stuff that needs to be written. I think a lot of these things people know but can't seem to actually know it until someone writes it down for them. Thank you for writing this sky

5 minutes is generally the time an average match takes between randoms. however a match between ranked and randoms is also generally short.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think there would be a more reliable "kill percent" if people stopped throwing out kill moves so early and repetitively.

But still, a good read. and really well organized.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I think my short matches have more to do with my aggressiveness than with whoever I'm playing against.

I mean, I play aggressively against characters I should NOT be playing aggressively against, such as Dedede or Diddy. Because of this aggression, my matches tend to end quickly with either me or my opponent as the winner. However, I suppose that is not a good way to play. Playing safely and waiting for the right moment would probably help me succeed more in my matches.

:069:

Dantarion

Smash Champion
The part about kill percents I definetly agree with.

I think sometimes I get into a mindset where I am like "Oh, youre a X%, its time to uptilt you with Snake!", then I take 30 damage trying to hit you with uptilt, when all I really have to do is play safe, instead of fishing for the kill move.

I think its even more valid when you are winning. You're winning! Whats the rush? Kill him later, just dont let him catch up to you in %

theunabletable

Smash Lord
The first point I’ve known for a while, but the second and third are things that I’ve actually picked up really recently (at bio after talking to M2K for a good little while I started thinking about a lot of things and realizing new stuff, and those were some of the things I noticed).

Really cool to see it written down and from another point of view, though. I’d like seeing more of these (since even this has helped cement some things in my mind and I think will help). Good read.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Good read. I agree so much with the part about kill %. Usually when I am at kill %, they try to kill me as if they had to. My style is to wait for the moment to land a safe dsmash or shuttle loop (which come often with MK's options). Sometimes they live up to 200%, but as long as I am not a stock behind, I keep doing that. It's like Falco players shouldn't stop camping after 120% and start spamming dacus, it just doesn't work. Just keep lasering until you have more options.
I am going to play much safer from now on. This whole G. O. thing opened my eyes. I never realized that I could do that. Why risk it when you can have it guaranteed.
Simply amazing.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Great read, Sky. Addressed a lot of things I was starting to naturally come into thinking about, but you phrased them in a really great way.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Thanks for posting this.
I think I have a better understanding between playing 'Gay' and playing 'Safe'.
And the Kill % really makes sense.
This was a good read. I hope you write more soon!

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
A very good post, Sky, you're both smart and insightful.

I would like to mention one thing that I was thinking about a while back. For characters such as Peach or Diddy Kong, there is indeed no need for a "kill percent" at all. Characters such as these merely have more options open up to them the longer they do "their thing" which generally involves playing safe and patiently. They can "afford" to play as if stocks aren't really a factor.

Where I would like to respectfully disagree is for characters that are largely momentum based and can't afford to play the game as if the goal was simply to get to 999 percent. I'm mainly thinking of Ike and Lucario at the moment but I guess you can apply it more loosely to other characters. When both Ike / Lucario and the opponent are at high percentages it really matters if you can get that stock lead. Sure, Ike can get an Fsmash in next stock and Lucario gets an aura multiplier but their games are more in their control if they get the first kill (After all, Ike can get that same Fsmash on the opponent's last stock and Lucario may as well keep his current aura multiplier!). So my main point is simply that while the concept of a kill percent may not exist for many characters in the game, some of them sort of need it.

And this is a bit off topic but I am sort of depressed that you didn't show up at the last few Davis tourneys, Sky. I quite wanted to play you.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Well, no not really there Yagami. Because when Ike and Lucario are sharing high percent with their opponent, they have a special fear that is really sacred to them. Seeing as lucario can kill so early, and then do massive damage next stock, you should continue using grabs instead of trying to land any sort of kill with smashes. And by forcing them to guess where to dI, you'll get the kill eventually. Paying safe and going for the GO, will there in give you those best options for killing, and you won't have to try and force anything.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Lucario has this passive ability to cause pressure when he gets a lot of %. You just so want to kill him. So much. This can make you predictable. And if you don't kill him soon, you are fighting the strongest char in the game. But I think that is a bit too much nitpicking stuff. Lucario is an exception to this rule. Sky's point was to play safe and follow Isai's famous "don't get hit". It's better to not hit your opponent than get damage to yourself. Since if you don't get damage, you can't really lose neither.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Great read. I think this directly applies to me tbh; I definitely need to play safer. Or gayer.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
So how can I learn Brawl's language better? What kind of things should I be thinking/meditating about during, after, and while I'm not playing the game?

Laem

Smash Champion
G.O is boring
mindgames is where it's at.

In fact, I'd say matches take a while not because people wait/fish/bait the G.O, but because damage is given solely through mutual reads.

also, you do not have a guaranteed clap/grab whenever snake nairs.... what's with that?
my idea of G.O would be mostly punishing OoS and GR stuff

last part is full of truthyness

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
Your tl;dr has been sigged. If I ever become a teacher when I grow up, I'm totally adding this at the end of assignment sheets or something.

Top Bottom