• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Distant Planet Mechanics

BSP

Smash Legend
OK, so with the release of BBR ruleset 3.1, we have some new counterpicks. I think the biggest factor of these stages is to know them, so I did a run of the stage. I recorded the details as follows:

Match starts, timer begins at 20:00

The Bulborb- standing on the Bulborb for ABOUT3-4 SECONDS will cause it to swallow you and carry you off to your death. Falling into its open mouth is inescapable death. Otherwise, you can stand on it like any normal platform, and you can even grab its lip like an edge when its mouth is open

Mouth mechanic- it'll usually yawn before it opens, but if it doesn't, you still have about 3 seconds from its entrance to prepare for it. The chances of someone spiking you straight into the mouth as soon as it opens should be pretty low.

Example

Appeared at 8:57
Yawned at 8:53
Opened mouth at 8:50 Closed mouth at 8:41
Forgot to pay attention, but since my data's pretty consistent, ill say it left around 8:47

Once more for good measure

Appeared 7:28
Yawned 7:25
Opened Mouth 7:19 Closed 7:10
Left at 7:07

You can see that the Bulborb will stay for about 20 seconds at most, but only if it opens its mouth. All of its appearances in 10 min. Obviously, its yawning and looking up and down (the latter will take less time than the former) will add about 3 seconds to its appearance. If it doesn't open its mouth, it only stays for about 10 seconds.

Appeared at 19:47
Left at 19:37

Appeared at 19:04
Left at 18:44

Appeared at 18:13
Left at 17:53

Appeared 17:20
Left at about 17:02

Appeared 16:34
Left at 16:12

Appeared at 15:48
Left 15:36

Appeared 15:06
Left 14:48

Appeared 14:22
Left 14:05

A 13:36
L 13:14

A 12:48
L 12:23

A 11:54
L 11:36

A 11:05
L 10:46

A 10:18
L 10:00

Rain-Rain will force you off of the slope on the left, but you can still grab the ledge. It doesn't happen as frequently as the Bulborb does. I'll test this more in the future.

Started moving my dummy at 18:28
Stopped at 18:13

Moved at 17:33
Stopped around 17:18

Moved 14:34
Stopped around 14:18

Moved 12:37
Stopped around 12:12

As far as I know, Onions won't affect fighting in any major way, so you don't have to worry about them. Throwing a pellet into them won't do anything with items off.

Pellets

The number on the Pellet determines its strength. They will appear on a flower (didn't do times, but I can add them if you guys want to, though they shouldn't affect fighting much.) and increase their number as they sit. Attack them to knock them off, then they become throwable items. I never saw more than three flowers with pellets at a time. They'll just sit until you hit them.

Flower appeared at 2:41
Turned "5" at 2:28
Turned "10" at 1:58

Flower appeared at 19:50
Turned "5" 19:36
Turned "10" 19:06

Should explain the "charging" mechanic

As for colors, yellow seems weaker than the other two. Their damages aren't that consistent though.

10 pellet does between 23 and 16% damage, it doesn't seem consistent.
5 pellet does between 14 and 9%
1 pellet does between 13 and 10%

Any color at any number can force a character to bounce like a jab lock if you hit them when they hit the ground. You can do any item technique with a pellet too.

Pellets are weird lol.

Character Specific things may come later if applicable. As far as randomness, this stage is and should be totally legal. No luck really happens here.

Grabbing on the slope seems to significantly lower grabbed time. CG'ers can chain you up the slope, but the your raised elavation makes getting grabs tricky. Or, you could just stay on the main Leaf, or wait for pellets or rain. You could try to fight them too, since to chain you up the ledge, the must start on your right, which makes getting the grab harder.

Other notes

I think it's also important to note that several characters can use the water segment to stall until the flow stops, and they don't have to even jump or grab the ledge; all they have to do is be carried to the bottom of the slope and then hold left. They'll stutter between an air animation and a "being carried" animation. I've seen this happen with Peach and one other character (forget who) and this was just this past weekend in a tournament match. -Vocal-
BTW if you didn't know, Sonic can do his invincible Spindash with the left slope.

Tesh

Smash Hero
All pellets have the same knockback right? I know some can jab lock, but can all of them?

Luxor

Smash Champion
Falco should never hit you with a laser here; either you or he should be in the pocket between the ground and the leaf. That spot is an amazing camping position.

Nice guide, it really shows how inconsequential the hazards here are and could help silence the haters.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Never knew the colors of pellets made any difference. Nice information found in here.

BSP

Smash Legend
All pellets have the same knockback right? I know some can jab lock, but can all of them?
That's a great question, I'm going to have to test that.

Falco should never hit you with a laser here; either you or he should be in the pocket between the ground and the leaf. That spot is an amazing camping position.

Nice guide, it really shows how inconsequential the hazards here are and could help silence the haters.
That pocket might be the only thing that bones this stage from competition. In theory it's amazingly strong, but we need to see matches to see if this is an over centralizing point of the stage.

I forgot who said it, but there's almost no reason to bring you opponent to DP, except for that spot.

Good work mb.

So the rain lasts 15 seconds. That's interesting.

The time between the flower appearing and the pellet turning into a 5 was 13 seconds (estimated), and from a 5 pellet to a 10 pellet it was 30 seconds. I'm gonna run some tests on this now, to confirm if this is true.

Edit: Yeah it's true. Just count to 13 seconds and the 1 will turn into a 5.

Something else I noticed is that the slope was able to get Wario's feet off the ground after I (TL) grabbed him.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok, from what I've tested, the pellets will never kill, no matter what the color. All the colors can lock, and the number on the pellet doesn't seem to make a difference. You have to get the timing right though, or the opponent won't slide across the ground.

In training mode as Luigi, if my dummy was on a platform, I could air drop the pellet, fair, hit them with the pellet (they slide like a jab lock), the punish with whatever. They do cause the forced get up animation like a jab lock as well. They can be glide tosses and Jump cancelled tossed too.

Something else I noticed is that the slope was able to get Wario's feet off the ground after I (TL) grabbed him.
Yeah, the slope will allow wario GR abuse.

They won't work at longer distances.

You have to get either a shield grab, or a pivot grab for it to work better.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I think it's also important to note that several characters can use the water segment to stall until the flow stops, and they don't have to even jump or grab the ledge; all they have to do is be carried to the bottom of the slope and then hold left. They'll stutter between an air animation and a "being carried" animation. I've seen this happen with Peach and one other character (forget who) and this was just this past weekend in a tournament match.

BSP

Smash Legend
Done. I'll do a second run soon to get more data on the rain to see if it is really that infrequent. Everything else seems fine.

Top Bottom