• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Read Before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

snex

Smash Master
it seems some people dont know how to reply to a thread correctly... so this is how you do it.

near every post is a button that says "QUOTE" - if you hit this button, your reply will be pre-filled with a quoted form of the post you are replying to. if you are replying to the entire post, simply go to the bottom and insert your reply.

however, many replies in the DH are "point by point" and the QUOTE button does not support this. what you need to do is insert an ending QUOTE tag after each point you want to reply to, and a beginning QUOTE tag before each point, so that your replies show up on the "root" level of your post. if you do not do this, other users will NOT be able to use the QUOTE button to reply to you!

example:

[noparse]
dumbguy said:
premise 1: this is the first premise of my argument
premise 1 is wrong because reasons X, Y, and Z.
dumbguy said:
premise 2: this is the second premise of my argument
premise 2 is also wrong for reasons A, B, and C.
dumbguy said:
therefore, by applying modus ponens, my conclusion follows
since your premises are unsound, your conclusion is not justified.
[/noparse]

cF=)

Smash Lord
Sticky this thread and remove RDT's, it's completely ridiculous to refute a logical argumentation's syntax with "it's annoying to read in paragraphs". If more people were using this, debates would end in a much more complete manner.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've always preferred posts that way too. Now that we have a topic like this stickied, we should expand on it, i.e. grammar, capitalization, flaming, etc.

Stuff seems kinda obvious, yet pops up anyway.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, here is this new rule:

If you do not post why you believe something, and if it's your first post in the topic, there HAS to be sources cited, you will be booted.

Take for example, this guy:
NeBz said:
I don't know about you guys. But my religon(Islam) proved to me that god exists. And never failed to make sence.
This was his first post in that topic, but he makes no explanation of his point. He just states it and presumably leaves.

This post is the final warning. Everyone should read stickies from here on out.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Is anyone else tired of opening a thread with points already brought up, then seeing some new guy to the debate hall respond to just the original post without reading a single other thing written?

I'm just saying half the people new to the debate hall tend to do this and think it's acceptable, and to be honest it gets aggravating seeing it over and over.

-blazed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom