• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Export - Olimar

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Rules to follow
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]* Be polite even in a disagreement
* Realistic matchup ratios please
* Don't repeat things already said
* POST SHOULD BE MORE THAN TWO SENTENCE[/FONT]

40:60 Olimar
Olimar is the guy that parks his van outside an elementary school waiting for kids to pivot grab them.
DK's Positives
Aerial game
Kills pikmin easily
Downb

DK's Negatives

Grab ranges
Pikmin hurt late game
Uair juggles

Dos
Gimp
Stay close to Olimar
Watch his pikmin

Don'ts

Put yourself in danger to kill pikmin
Space tilts on shield they will lead to grabs
Falling Bair

Summary
Olimar's ground game is really good which is usually where DK shines. His grab is ridiculous and we all know how DK hates getting grabbed. Not too many follow ups after a throw, but the damage is still damage. Dtilt works great on him, if you can get in that close. Your best way to approach is while Olimar is throwing pikmin. Bair approaches are near impossible since he is so low to the ground and will probably never jump. Don't be afraid to chess in this match and run the clock out.

Mid Range
This is were the fight will be most of the game. Long range benefits him and Short range benefits you so this is the midpoint and the game can be won or lost here. Mid range is the distance that all your tilts aren't going to hit, and his grab won't get you. Pretty much this is the place where people are getting in and out of each others range, trying to bait something. I doubt an Olimar will throw a pikmin at this range unless it's purple, but if they do get some Dtilts, or a grab. But chances of that are slim. All I can say is do moves that are safe and mix it up, maybe throw a DownB or something.

Long Range
Pikmin gets unlocked at this range, and they come in the form of an approaching SH, retreating SH, or grounded throw. Each Pikmin has a different way for DK to react, but don't get predictable. The section will be broken down by pikmin and what safe moves will kill it, don't go dsmashing everything you can get punished. Punch and UpB should be done closer to Olimar to either put shield pressure or for knockback.
WHITE-Uair,Bair,Nair,Ftilt,UpB,Punch. Don't let this thing touch you.
BLUE/YELLOW/RED-Uair,Bair,Nair,Ftilt,Punch. UpB will kill but the reward for killing this isn't worth the risk.
PURPLE-*TESTING*

Aerial
You beat this guy in the air. Chance an Olimar will be in the air is rare though, but Bair stops everything his got. His Uair defeats you when you are above him, so avoid being above him. When off stage, bair can do a lot in this situation. He has nothing to do against it so don't be afraid to go out for these.He will either get a Bair and die, or go below to you to avoid it when this happens go for the edge and prepare to do Ledge Drop > UpB.

Stages

Videos

ook

Smash Lord

IMO, DK can pretty much tank the damage from the yellow/red/blue if it means getting a good hit on olimar. Whites you should probably get off.
I dunno though... I'm still pretty bad at this matchup. It's definitely olimar's favor I think

Will made the best post ever here
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10775423&postcount=28
I have a lot of experience with this matchup. So I will give you all the suggestions I can think of =)

First off, I think up b is a pretty good way to kill the pikmin that attach to DK. However, there are times when it is more beneficial for you to jump and up air to get them off of you, since up air covers most of DK's body (at least his torso and head areas) and gets you out of the way of more incoming pikmin that are being tossed. Anything that up air doesn't kill, b-air/n-air will. Up air is usually the best option imo since it's really fast and covers most options. In addition I think up tilt is another good grounded method of killing pikmin, or down smash if you are far away from him.

Also, I saw you tried to go for that up b gimp from the edge but missed the timing =P That works reallllly well against olimar if you hit him out of his double jump with it. Then you drift back onto the stage or regrab the edge depending on when you think he is going to up b. But that is a great tool toward gimping him as well.

Don't be afraid to go mad far off stage against Olimar and throw out a b-air, bc even if you miss he will be forced to recover low, in which case your up b can beat him back to the edge before he can grab it with his up b. Also, it's fairly easy to expect an air dodge or down b super armor, so just waiting for it then b-airing usually works well.

In terms of purple pikmin.... sigh. Those things really are a pain in the ***. In order to prevent most of them from coming out, you're going to have to stay on him. And its really hard to pressure him when the only true ways in are grounded up b and down b.

In terms of getting through and killing the purples, you absolutely need to use fully charged punches as often as possible. In addition to killing the purples, it beats Olimar's grabs. Yes, Olimar cannot grab armor the punch, if he grabs you while it hits him, the grab auto breaks!

Also, in general a good approach if you can get in close to Olimar- down tilts on his shield. It's hard to get in that close, but if you can, spam those d tilts!! Olimar's grab out of shield is too slow to prevent the tilts from hitting his shield/eventually poking through.

Keep asking and I'll keep putting forth what I know. =)

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Awesome chart lol. I'll continue to read that post its probably full of win.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I play against olimars which is usually just for laughs, I shake off all pikmin. They become a bigger problem late game if you don't get rid of them. Shnair and upb make quick work of them, and stopping them in the air with tilts and bair is easy. Gimping is super easy in my opinion I usually do an upb ledge-regrab to renew the invincablity then do a roll and they should fall to there deaths. Another technique could be to try and get under their upb range and bair them.

Aerial approach this sucka bair this guy all day. I like to throw a bair that won't hit to see how they react, if they shield expecting another bair land behind him or land and grab. Sometimes they will attempt to run under you and pivot grab just jump away your in a bad postion here. His really close to you here and your facing him. I never got to use ftilt effectively on him either, but I'm told downB ***** him.

What do you guys think the ratio is?

Silfa

Smash Ace
Haha, that chart is amazing. Purple pikmin ruin everything. :(

I think this matchup is pretty much definitely in olimar's favour, although I don't really know how much. I'll probably come back and write some more later when I have time.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I've never beaten an olimar in tournament before. ever.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
IMO 9 wind punch in this MU is worthless, Olimar will be throwing out sooo many attacks that you will the SA on the punch.
I SA punch all the time. I do the 9wind about the same amount as the CSS.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
I've never beaten an olimar in tournament before. ever.
I've beaten every Olimar I've ever played but Dabuz, but it doesn't matter bc Dabuz has knocked me out of every single tournament I have driven him to in the past few months -_- Either that or he has beaten me in winners lol. We play too much...

But he was the first one I ever played, so I guess that's why I beat all the other ones =P

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
IMO 9 wind punch in this MU is worthless, Olimar will be throwing out sooo many attacks that you will the SA on the punch.
purple side b and BOOST PIVOT GRAB both beat out SA punch, and i think something else other than oli's multi-hits does as well but i can't remember

also, don't CP olimar to lylat, i used to (and still sometimes) CP DKs to that stage because if we are on the low tilt DK can't do anything but either get punished horribly for approaching, or take long range side-bs due to the angle enhancing side-b range, and if he is on high tilt olimar can go to the ledge and hit you half-way through the stage with up airs, or just mix up our grab game because DK loses a lot of range trying to hit olimar at that angle of the stage

and yes, me and will fight WAY too much...>_> we seriously have to be put in our brackets so the earliest we could fight would be WFs or LFs at this rate xD

Top Bottom