• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight and banning counter picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
I have been hosting tourneys in my region and i am considering this rule.
Meta Knight in tournament play is a touchy subject. I have and idea that i would like to have discussed.

Rule:
"If a player is counterpicking and they select a stage with a transparent floor , they may not pick metaknight as well."

Transparent:

Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Distant Planet
Port Town Aero Dive

This is just an idea give me some feedback.

etecoon

Smash Hero
not allowing MK to take you to rainbow/brinstar etc. is one thing, although I disagree with it... but allowing someone to pick those stages against MK to force a character change is ********. if the end result is that an MK main isn't allowed to use MK anyway, there's no point not banning him

RC and brinstar shouldn't be legal anyway though, too bad we're apparently moving in the opposite direction and allowing stupid **** like distant planet now LOL

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
...Either ban MK or don't. Stop making these weird rules to dance around the subject.

:urg:

sunshade

Smash Ace
Change the rule to: "If a player is counterpicking and they select rainbow cruise, brinstar, or delfino plaza, they may not pick metaknight as well."

This will only affect players counterpicking metaknight and will not have the issue of the losing player not only picking the stage but forcing their opponent to give up their main mid set.

That is not to say that this is in anyways a good rule, but it will at least remove some of the kinks you would run into while using it.

I don't recommend this rule, simply because I don't believe in limiting a character just so he can be legal. Ban the character, or leave the stages alone. However, if this rule brings people to your tournament, you might as well try it out.

This would get rid of Halberd, Delfino, Brinstar, PTAD, and Rainbow Cruise if I'm not mistaken. Would Distant Planet and Frigate Orpheon count under this rule (assuming they're legal)?

Inb4BPCrage ;)

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I dunno, GaW is pretty dumb on rainbow. And MK isn't more broken on Delfino. Why do you say so? Sharking? Because it's pretty easy to get around.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Not another one of these lame topics. Listen guys the rules are completely fine. It's the character who is broken. Once we take care of him then we can go about business.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
Everyone has heard the "ban or stfu" arguements, including the OP. He obviously wants to try something else.

I would give it a spin (particularly seeing as how I'm in your region). I think you would want to use a phrasing like sunshades to keep things clear, with whatever stages you prefer.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
I don't recommend this rule, simply because I don't believe in limiting a character just so he can be legal. Ban the character, or leave the stages alone. However, if this rule brings people to your tournament, you might as well try it out.

This would get rid of Halberd, Delfino, Brinstar, PTAD, and Rainbow Cruise if I'm not mistaken. Would Distant Planet and Frigate Orpheon count under this rule (assuming they're legal)?

Inb4BPCrage ;)

frigate in
distant planet out

this is just a rule i would think about using in my tourney not one for the whole community so get off my jock and discuss it with out shooting it down for no reason.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Rule:
"If a player is counterpicking and they select a stage with a transparent floor , they may not pick metaknight as well."

Frigate would be legal

my stance is meta should be temp ban to see how the game would change and grow.
but i will not ban meta at my tourneys unless i am backed by the BBR.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
I know it's being picky, but 'transparent' implies one can see through the floor. I would suggest you reconsider your word choice there.

sunshade

Smash Ace
The rule will be easier to understand if you say the exact stages in which you would not be allowed to select metaknight. "transparent" is very much up to interpretation and is very unclear to say the least.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Why do no TOs have the stones to just ban the character? Just try it out once, if you're that scared, change it back. It's not like you need formal BBR permission to experiment.

Oh, and sharking isn't the problem, just a symptom of the problem. MK is the problem.

NNID
Budget_Player
i vote negative on that. And why are you usin the bbr stages, they're basically being ignored. Just use the normal FL ones..
Because the BBR stagelist doesn't ban as many stages for little to no reason. What is the normal FL one?

Also, yeah, the whole "don't limit MK" schtick has been covered ITT already. Just throwing this one out there: banning stages because of MK is also limiting him, but it at the same time limits the rest of the cast with him.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
What would this rule accomplish, exactly?

MK is not the only character who can benefit from sharking/transparent floors. Kirby, Dedede, Pit, just about any character with multiple jumps and a halfway decent recovery can benefit from it.

So banning one character from benefitting would be QUITE unfair to the others. Why should a Kirby main be allowed to shark, while the MK main is forced to switch characters.

"Oh, but he could just pick another character that can shark well"

Then this rule is moot.

AfroQT

Smash Master
What would this rule accomplish, exactly?

MK is not the only character who can benefit from sharking/transparent floors. Kirby, Dedede, Pit, just about any character with multiple jumps and a halfway decent recovery can benefit from it.

So banning one character from benefitting would be QUITE unfair to the others. Why should a Kirby main be allowed to shark, while the MK main is forced to switch characters.

"Oh, but he could just pick another character that can shark well"

Then this rule is moot.
Rofl wtf did you just type kid.

Kirby cant "shark". He doesnt have the aerial speed or even hitboxes to do that. Metaknight is easily the only character whos even remotely efficient at this. And unless im reading the rules wrong, if the OPPOSING (non MK) player picks a stage like delfino, the MK player can stay MK OR even choose mk. What this stops is MK players who lost a match from picking stages where they may "shark".

Assuming im reading this right, if Player A is a MK main and is also counterpicking Player B, Player A may not use MK. If Player A is using Mario and Player B is using MK, Player A counterpicking would not force Player B to switch OFF of MK.

as long as we're throwing out stupid rule lets give this one a try.

Mk automatically loses the match if he spends 75% of the match in the air or if 85% of their attacks miss.

This covers air camping, sharking, scrooging and spamming hitting the c-stick to dsmash and fast as humanly(meta knightly) possible.

AfroQT

Smash Master
as long as we're throwing out stupid rule lets give this one a try.

Mk automatically loses the match if he spends 75% of the match in the air or if 85% of their attacks miss.

This covers air camping, sharking, scrooging and spamming hitting the c-stick to dsmash and fast as humanly(meta knightly) possible.
yea lets do it.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Another stupid rule:
Anyone playing Brawl automatically loses.

Oh wait that's true.
Reactions:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tvfwxa1Nwi0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tvfwxa1Nwi0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Obviously playing a dead game is better.

Lesson: If you're going to do something as a TO don't seek the community's approval, just do it. Grow some stones and do what you think is fair.

Also why did a thread destined for trolling get dumped in my forum?
[/annoyed post]

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I locked it originally, but FGCU Viper asked for me to move it here.

It was either dump this here, or he make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom