• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Camping =/= Spamming

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I notice that when people hear the word camp, they associate it with spam (Dair camping MK = Jump dair jump dair, camping Falco = laser spam, camping Diddy = peanut spam) and I wanted to make sure that people understand the correct way to camp as Pikachu.

Pikachu's T-jolts have enough cool-down that if you spam it, it becomes an easily timed pattern and the opponent can run, Power Shield it, and then attack you before your attack is over. Characters with decent speed or range can do this.

From far away, no character aside form sonic can really catch up to you. Using Jolts as much as you want at that distance is fine. On flat stages move back and forth so that the hops are in different places. Mid-range Jolts can be used very effectively. Most levels have platforms, and Jolts are amazing with platforms. Learn the spacing of the hops of the T-jolt so that your Jolt can wrap around the platforms and hit your opponent on the top or back of their heads, which can potentially shield stab. Using them to hit your opponent directly will most likely back fire (Easy Power Shielding to punish)

One thing to do is mix up empty jumps with T-jolt jumps. Your opponent won't want to rush in knowing that if you empty hop you can do anything while landing and hit them, or QA away and reset the position. If you want to include spacing, throw in some approaching Sh fairs and then retreat with them when you start to fall (Be cautious with that on characters like MK or Marth who have disjoints).

As an added bonus, LEDGE PLAY!!

Pikachu's planking is a good way to relieve pressure. He has his fast uair, T-jolts and thunder to ward off over-aggressive edge-guarders. If you fall of uair as fast as you can, you should not be getting hit. Then, if the level permits (Halberd or FD), jump and T-jolt. The T-jolt will wrap around and you can get back on the level with its assistance. If not, drop a little lower and DJ thunder. Make sure your vertical spacing is right, because if you mess up you can and will get hit by D-smashes. Planking with Pikachu shouldn't be abused because it honestly isn't that great, but it is a good option to have.

If you have any questions, just post below and I will answer them one by one.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You should ask me about stuff at tournaments. I could help you even though I can't teach you.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
da other sad thing ive noticed with pikachus tjolt is his sound effect makes it very very obvious that the tjolt is coming-- kinda similar to when pit fires an arrow

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
This is a nice write-up Esam!
Tjolts wrapping around platforms is so nice. It's great when you can get a surprise grab out of it.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Tjolts wrapping around platforms is so nice. It's great when you can get a surprise grab out of it.
I suck at the peach matchup and t-jolts around platforms are so good against her mid-height float-game! It helps me cling on the very end.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
have you tried tjolting on the SV platform as it moves?

it kinda looks like it gets a small boost of horizontal movement in the air when the platform moves

PZ

Smash Lord
Define Planking also stfu non believers I honestly 4got how to DI but I found a video to help me survive aka DI. I will be watching the meteor cancel video next. n00b guides are awesome:p Weirdly ive gotten WAY better at qacing just gotta remeber to jump but I got all the angles down. I can do AT's better when I least expect it like platform canceling after getting hit by a horizontal move. BDACUS after rolling back on stage with falco then SHDL.

Define Planking also stfu non believers I honestly 4got how to DI but I found a video to help me survive aka DI. I will be watching the meteor cancel video next. n00b guides are awesome:p Weirdly ive gotten WAY better at qacing just gotta remeber to jump but I got all the angles down. I can do AT's better when I least expect it like platform canceling after getting hit by a horizontal move. BDACUS after rolling back on stage with falco then SHDL.
EDIT:O look smash ace i like my first1 better<.< 500!:p
yea...sry for double post I wonder how u merge em

Blissard

Smash Lord
Some people say it's spamming. I say that it uses the attack to the fullest. I have fun playing mind games with repetitive quick attacks and thunder jolts. A question though: how do the hitboxes for Thunder attack work? The knockack seems random sometimes, and it seems to have a larger range than it appears. And then when its reflected by 2 people, Pikachu dies. I'm confused -_-

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Um...thunder attack = Thunder = Down-b?

The knockback isn't random. You may over-use it and diminish it, thus making it have lower Knockback. Also, when people reflect it they multiply the knockback, so if 2 people reflect it...it has a much MUCH higher knockback that would probably kill pika very early. For the range, yeah it is ridiculous. You just have to learn where it ends in proportion to your character so that you don't have to adjust on different TVs.

Blissard

Smash Lord
But does Thunder's knockback change depending on what height the character hits it, or at what time they hit it (like will knockback be different if the opponent gets hit by Thunder while it's coming down than if Thunder is already connected to Pikachu when they're hit)?

Sorry for all of the questions btw -_-

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
is there any MU where t-jolting actually hurts you? assuming that you are mixing the timing up, unpredictable, ect.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If you get punished (including jolt getting absorbed) for using tjolt, you're doing it wrong.

No seriously, stop using tjolt at the situation you were in when you got punished. You're either being predictable or not spacing with jolts properly

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Thunder has 3 different KBs. When the bolt is coming down, the initial connection to Pikachu, and then the lingering hitbox on Pikachu. That is it.

T-jolt would be bad to use in MU's like Lucas, Ness, and G&W. Other than that...I don't think so.

Roller

Smash Legend
...yeah, I don't know how I forgot her.
Because she is a worthless piece of trash whose only purpose is to give sheik mains a way to get through the first half of their stock without being CG'd up the A.

/trolling

And if you want to include everybody with a reflect ability you forgot pit as well.. But he is almost as rare to see as zelda.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I would use T-jolt against the characters that reflect, they are easily punishable. The absorbers you can't because they can jump, roll, or sidestep.

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Game and Watch's bucket is really laggy when a projectile hits it

You could follow a T jolt so they absorb and you get to punish, good if you need to land a kill move or something

Roller

Smash Legend
I am in agreement with these g&w comments. Especially if they are at a high percent. then go ahead and spam it. If they are dumb enough to bucket, upsmash 'em, like SS said.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You shouldn't spam it. If you spam it, they will get 2 buckets and you only get one hit. Then you won't be able to T-jolt ever without fear of getting OHKO'd.

One T-jolt at high % every so often is good. Don't use 2 in a row, as I said above. Also, when G&W gets his 3rd charge, he has SIGNIFICANTLY less lag, so don't really try it on the last stock.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i wouldnt spam it in a way that more then one would be on screen at a time, as you say thats silly, i would still spam it though. not at long range, but at mid, close enough to punish, and dropping in on their heads. works very well

Top Bottom