• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Laundry List: How to get better with DDD

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology

Inspired by Ran's list in the Snake Forums:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272149

It's a general list of stuff to keep in mind. Mainly for beginning players but we all forget some of this stuff from time to time. It helped me get much better as a player as a whole. You will see stuff that isn't DDD specific but nonetheless is invaluable. I just decided to post his because its Sunday and I'm bored but I want to help. I'm in no way a professional player but I feel like I am proficient enough to write something like this.

If anyone has anything they want to add to the list for the community and new DDD players post it!

1.Learn to Shield Cancel Grab. Against most opponents it gives us extra grabs on our Chaingrabs and you need it to Chaingrab Luigi, Marth, Diddy and a few others.
2. Don't be a 3 move DDD. You have options outside of grab, Bair and F-tilt. Learn to maximize Nair, D-Tilt and other underrated moves.
3. Perfect your Powershielding. This is key for getting those grabs we want so badly.
4. Don't always try to go for the grab. DDD is a capable character outside of his grabs also. Just don't get predictable with it.
5. Don't spam Waddle Dee Toss. It's a solid defense but its very punishable at close range. Be smart about it.
6. Make smart use of Swallow. Don't spam it but be tricky about how you use it. B-Reversaled Swallows are awesome used in moderation. Except if you're Coney who gets away it like no one else :p
7. Learn how to get back on the stage without getting punished. DDDs recovery requires some practice.
8. Set the pace of the battle. DDD doesn't do well when he's forced to play at his opponent's tempo.
9. Learn your spacing. You have an excellent grab and a great spacing tool in F-Tilt. DDDs range is great in general. This is key for victory. Learn your ranges.
10. Work on your F-Smash mindgames. You'd be surprised how often you get this to hit if you know how to setup for it properly.
11. When recovering make the best use of all of your jumps.
12. ADAPT!
13. Maximize SDI. It's hard being such a large target but learn to SDI so that you can avoid taking so much damage from multi hitting attacks.
14. Maximize your DI also. It's like Junk said: "200% is normal" Great DI should be an unconscious part of your game.
15. Don't try to get to complex with your strategy. Keep it simple but know what options work for which situations. DDD is a simple character. The less thinking you have to do about your own options the more you can focus on everything as a whole.
16. Make the non chaingrabble characters fear your tech chasing game.
17. Learn to get away from the ****. Sometimes all you need is to just walk away and reset the situation. Other times you may be a pivot grab > B-Throw. Just learn to spot bad situations and get away. "Don't jump into the ****"
18. Ask questions. Never stop asking questions, there is always something to learn.
19. Answer other peoples's questions when you can. Its a good feeling and it helps you remember the basic stuff.
20. Don't get hasty for the kill. Yes we kill early but our kill moves aren't the easiest to land. Wait for that moment to land that Up-Tilt or Down-Smash. Nothing should ever feel forced.
21. Know your matchups and stay up to date with them. And remember that just because you can play against one good Metaknight, Snake, etc doesn't mean you know how to play against them all.
22. Learn to mixup your jumps and fastfalls. DDD is the fastest falling character in the game Combine this with his well-ranged aerials and you can cover a great distance. This is what throws many people off when facing an airborne DDD.
23. Develop a solid ground game. Just like our aerial game it is a solid part of our offense and defense. Our ground game consists of more than grabs.
24. Learn how to effectively use Bair. Know when to use the strong hits and know when to use the weak hit of Bair.

That is all for now.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
I eventually want to be able to do the same thing, with helping out the boards. I just dont usually post anything with information I might think to be correct because I'll get flamed and insulted and ****.

ZTD | TECHnology

Tbh the D3 boards are pretty chill. I doubt anyone would really flame you lol but you'll get to that point it just requires time, effort and a lot of practice. Recently I noticed a significant boost in my gameplay after keeping all these things in perspective. Now I just need to crank out these good placings. :D

ZTD | TECHnology

I see too many new players/people trying to secondary him use him in a way that's just dumb. Too many people just try to grab blindly. I felt I needed to make this simple list so newer players have something to monitor their progress. So yeah nothing groundbreaking here lol Glad you like though.

Kaptain

Smash Ace
You might want to add that DDD is very aggressive when it comes to people returning, and to learn how to play out in the open, not just on the stage.

Lentini

Smash Rookie
Would you like us to suggest additions to the list TC?

EDIT: oops sorry, you already addressed that...
howabout: 23. Learn mixups for inhale suicides, successful swallowcides win games.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Great advice to new players, well done. Even though this isn't in a particular order, I feel "ADAPT" should be either at the top of the list or at the end.

ZTD | TECHnology

Thanks for the suggestions and praise and Buuman you're right. Adapt is probably the most important one up there. I am going to update this soon.

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
Edit: One thing I find works against faster characters who tend to dash attack often is to have a free waddle do lose on the stage. Ex. Metaknight is on the left and I have a waddle do walking right pass me, I charge up a forward smash, MK won't risk trying to grab/dash attacking me before I complete the fsmash (A lot of MK's and people in general are scared ****less of a fsmash) so he waits right in front of you and waits it out. He wants to grab/dash attack you the very instant the attack is over to make sure you don't down tilt him, and thus he times his dash to where he'll be right there at that moment. The MK doesn't take into account the lag that occurs when hitting a waddle do, so he ends up getting hit, and boom, easy peasy kill. I've done this to MK, Olimar, and Fox players who I'd consider high level players, and can do this three times a match with no problem. I killed an Olimar 3x with this technique in a tourney match (I think it came off as fsmash spam, but that's not the case, I just punished the anxious to grab Olimar lol)

Technodeath

Smash Champion
I suppose it could work somewhat, but I don't think it'd be very effective, being used too much.

Since they should learn the first time, and just sit back until it's all done.
Tis fun abusing the long hitboxes/hurtboxes and things with shyguys, the statues on Castle Siege, and such

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
I suppose it could work somewhat, but I don't think it'd be very effective, being used too much.

Since they should learn the first time, and just sit back until it's all done.
Tis fun abusing the long hitboxes/hurtboxes and things with shyguys, the statues on Castle Siege, and such
Yes, it's best used in moderation. I find the shy guys to be more hurtful, they slow me down when I don't need to be, but they have aided me once or twice, it's a love hate thing for me

Technodeath

Smash Champion
Yes, it's best used in moderation. I find the shy guys to be more hurtful, they slow me down when I don't need to be, but they have aided me once or twice, it's a love hate thing for me
I don't do it intentionally most of the time.

It's fun extending the sweetspot knee hitbox and getting them with it, same with Ganon's Dair

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
def learn when to play safer and when to be offensive

pshielding becomes much more important @ higher %, people get greedy, pshield punish accordingly-- 200%? aim for living well beyond that and really make your opponent work for the kill

and know how to use your opponents aggression against them

∫unk

Smash Master
powershielding is important at any percent except right when you respawn with invincibility

if you don't know what to do off a powershield.. at least hit A. ddd has massive grab range and very little shield knockback with a powershield so odds are you can grab whatever you just powershielded.

some situations (like falco's laser) it's better to dash out of the ps

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
yea and timing how to read/avoid the lasers also helps quite abit

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Awesome write-up TC. One thing I just realized yesterday after watching some vids: I don't Fastfall mix-up or fast-fall airspace NEARLY enough. I usually normal air dodge. I practiced it yesterday and now have it down perfectly, pretty eager to see what it can add to my game.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i got a couple of things to work on too daw;

-QUIT LOVING GRABBING SO MUCH
-work on wave bouncing
-bair alittle more, space fairs better
-develop a plan of ground mix ups to avoid LOVING GRABBING TOO MUCH
-Pshielding is wonderful, use it more:mad:mad:

Doc King

Smash Lord
Looks pretty good to me, you could also use the waddle dee throws to block certain projectiles and you can use the down B for mindgamming kills. :)

Doc King

Smash Lord
I know it's a very hard attack to land. Dedede's best kill options are the up tilt, the down tilt in certain ways, and maybe the up and down smash. You could also try a lucky Gordo. :chuckle:

Coney

Smash Master
bair is typically really stale by the time we get to killing, though

unless you can freshen it up with some ftilts, maybe some waddle abuse

...actually...that's a really good idea...

Tmacc

Smash Lord

unless you can freshen it up with some ftilts, maybe some waddle abuse

True true!

I love the feeling of a fresh bair after a death. :)

Also, something I think every smasher in general should work on...SDI. I myself have a lot of work to do in that area, but I know I do and therefore can correct it.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
junk recommended that after 60-50% you should start pummeling during grabs/CG to refresh it. Seems to work very well for me.

ZTD | TECHnology

unless you can freshen it up with some tilts, maybe some waddle abuse

Lol this is my alterior motive with spamming ftilts..

I should probably use more Waddles than I do though. Its just that they're so laggy when you throw them lol But I suppose it wouldnt hurt from far away. But i tilt a lot so I never really have to worry about a stale bair..since DDDs other kill options are...chancy.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Question;

Can you refresh your own moves by hitting your dees? From what i remember testing they do cause even moves like inhale to stale.

Yea, thrown your dee out and eating it stales inhale by a 1%. Hmmm..

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
Best option to unstale your moves when there's a wall on the stage is throw a waddle in its direction and keep jabbing him. If your oponent is CGable he'll be too scared of being wall infinited and will probably let you jab your waddle enough to refresh your moves. (yeah, it's pretty old but since this is the laundry list some people who are reading might not know about it...)

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
The cool thing with down b is that people will probably try to dodge it rather than to rush in and attack you while it's charging. Pretend to go and land it, wait until they dodge/shield/whatever and then hit 'em =D

But yeah, you rarely get an opening to go and charge it in which you couldn't be doing something more useful.

Top Bottom