• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sanji's Monthly #1 - Lake Worth, TX - October 30th 2010

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
[Editor's Note: Just because it says Monthly, doesn't mean that it will take place every month. It is just for gimmick purposes.]

Hello Smash Fans. Sanji Himura here to formally announce a tournament for your gaming pleasure.

General Information:

Date: October 30th, 2010
Where: La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Worth - Lake Worth 5800 Quebec Street Fort Worth, TX 76135 (directions below)
Time: 8AM to 9PM

Note: While the venue is all but finalized, please hold off on doing anything until Monday. I will bring more information to you about the venue.

Fees:

Venue Fee: $10*

Entry fees for the games will be listed with the games.

*If you bring a set up, the venue fee will be reduced to $5. One set up per person to receive credit, and all set ups must include a TV, Console and all tournament games associated with the console.

**If you do bring set ups, I strongly encourage you to come a day early and book a room. I get to rent out the room for free, plus you will have more time for casuals in the morning instead of wasting the time getting up early and traveling to the event.

The Games:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 1:00 PM start time - $10
Super Street Fighter IV - 2:00 PM start time - $10
Street Fighter 3: TS 3v3 - 3:00 PM start time - $5 per person ($15 total)
Brawl Doubles - 5:00 PM start time - $10 per person ($20 total)

*Registration for all games will be open until 5 minutes before the event is scheduled to start EXCEPT Brawl Singles which closes 15 minutes before start time. This is in case if we go to pools to allow plenty of time to seperate into pools.

Tournament format:

If less than 32 people/teams show up, the format is double elimination. If over 32 people/teams show up, we go to pools.

How the pools work.

1. Everyone on the bracket will be semirandomly assigned a number from one to four(for 32-64 players) or eight(over 64 players). A master bracket will be created as if it will be a single Double elimination bracket, and from there, the numbers will be assigned.

If 32-64 people show up, the pools will be double elimination and will work through the bracket until the final four in each pool's bracket. At that point, the remaining players will be put into a 16 man, double elimination, bracket to determine the champion. Any losses from the pools will carry over into the final bracket(and you will be seeded manually to reflect that).

For Over 64 players, the pools will be single elimination and will work through the bracket until the final two in each pool's bracket. At that point, the remaining players will be put into a 16 man, double elimination bracket to determine the champion. Want to be able to lose twice? Earn the right.

The Rules:

General Rules

1. Prizes for each game will be distributed immediately following the tournament at hand.

2. A match for all tournaments are best 2 out of 3 games(unless specified).

3. I am all for casuals, but you must register BEFORE you play.

4. Any grievous misconduct will result in you being removed from the premises without a refund and any prize money that is won surrendered. This includes, but not limited to, drinking, smoking(in building), gambling on matches(unless it is an officially sanctioned Money Match and only then it will be between the participants involved), and disrespecting and arguing with staff(for both The Classic and the venue).

5. Hardware macros are strictly prohibited. You may only use the macros that are available in the in-screen configuration menu.

6. An accidental pause of the game may result in forfeiture of the game at the judge’s digression.

7. You must bring your own controller for any console that the game is played on. Converters may or may not be offered for any console that requires them(ie: PS2 to DC and PS2 to PS3. If you wish to play pad, you MUST use the console default, or an officially licensed controller(usb cables must be used on PS3 controllers). Even though Wii will be used for Smash, You MUST use Gamecube controllers.

8. Wireless controllers are strictly forbidden. If you bring one, it will be seized by the tournament director and a corded controller will be provided in its place. Return of the controller will happen if you return the controller that was provided. Wavebirds are not exempt from this rule.

9. There is zero tolerance for theft. If caught stealing, a police report will be filed with the proper authorities, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law.

10. Double Blind selection may be called by the judge for any reason and any game may be replayed at the tournament director’s digression, even if it was the last game in a match.

11. Equipment failures are subject to a three person panel that will consist of the Tournament Director, the head judge, and one person deemed an expert in the game at hand, using EVO standards as a guideline. If the equipment failure was reported by a player, and the panel ruled against him, the match is forfeited. Judges can report equipment failures on behalf of the player. If the panel rules for the player, the equipment is ordered to be replaced with a padded controller and the match is ordered to be replayed with the same characters and settings. Regardless of what the panel rules, if the judge convenes the panel for the player, the match is ordered to be replayed with the same characters and settings.

12. Rules violations must be reported the instant the violation is made(within reasonable standards). The Classic will use the yellow card system when issuing rule violation penalties(Yellow card will forfeit the match and a red card will disqualify you). If a player falsely(or ignorantly) reports a rule violation, then they will be issued a yellow card. You will have a clean slate for each tournament.

13. You can not refuse to be recorded if you paid money to enter an event.

Game Specific Rules

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Console: US Nintendo Wii
Settings: 3 stock, 8 minute timer, Items are OFF.

Starter stages

Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island

Counter pick stages

Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

No player may choose the same stage twice in a given match. There will be no random select in the second or third games. The first stage must be selected via randomization of the starter stages.

If a game ends with Bowser/Ganon doing his suicide tactic and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death is ignored and the game counts as a win for Bowser/Ganon.

If a game ends with a suicide double KO and it goes to sudden death, sudden death is ignored and the person who initiated the tactic is given a loss. If the screen shows a definitive winner, go with that instead.

Metaknight's IDC glitch is allowed as a method of recovery. Using this as a method of stalling(see definition) is banned and you will forfeit the match.

Any and all Stalling is banned. If a judge can’t tell if you are stalling, the tournament director will be called. He will be the final authority on the subject. Penalties for stalling may range from losing a stock to forfeiting the match. Judges may observe random matches to determine stalling.

Stalling- The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that the one would make the game unplayable.

Any action that can prevent the game from finishing(i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Metaknight is allowed in tournament play for Singles ONLY!

Infinite chain grabs are allowed, however, you must break the chain when your opponent's damage reaches 300% and never attempt to chain grab during the remaining stock. Failure to break the chain or attempting to grab beyond 300% will be considered stalling and you will be down a stock.

Sub article 1 - Doubles Play

Team attack is ON and life stealing is allowed.

Metaknight is NOT allowed in doubles tournament play.

Super Street Fighter 4
Console: US Playstation 3
Settings: 2/3 rounds, 99 sec timer

1. All characters are LEGAL.
2. If you won a match, you must remain as the same character, but you may change your ultra.
3. All stage selections are Random, no exceptions. However, if Volcanic Rim stage is selected, then a color blind player has the option of changing the stage once before the game starts. If you manually select a stage, you will be sent to losers/disqualified(if you are in losers already).

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Console: PS2

No two or more team members may consist of one character.

The tournament will be a "Winner stays" format.

Gill is not allowed in tournament play.

The in game judgment feature will NOT be used to determine draw games. A one round "sudden death" game will be played with the same characters and settings.

Winner must stay the same character, but may change super art.

PAYOUTS!!!

If less than 16 players show up
1st= 80%
2nd= 20%

If 16 to 32 players show up
1st= 70%
2nd= 20%
3rd= 10% or their entry fee back whichever is greater

If 32 to 64 players show up
1st= 60%
2nd= 25%
3rd= 10%
4th= 5%

If over 64 players show up
1st= 55%
2nd= 25%
3rd= 10%
4th= 5%
5th(x2)= 2.5%

Gea

Smash Master
No team consisting of one character is pretty lulsy, especially with MK banned for doubles (which is funny in itself) but I applaud you setting your own rules as a TO, just don't be opposed to logical discussion in the matter.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
er, what? This defeats the purpose of counterpicking >.>
Not really. To put it this way, given that the winner must stay the same character, would you allow a complete counter pick(stage and character) knowing that there is well over a 75% chance that the next game would be unbalanced to the loser of the previous game? By making it an "either or" counter picking system, I feel that there is a better chance that the winner of the previous game can clean sweep the other guy.

In other words, I'm making the winner stick to his choice because he won his match, but on the other hand, I'm not exactly for rewarding the loser for his abysmal performance with a complete counter pick.

Gea

Smash Master
You're also discouraging players from using multiple characters and giving ones who have terrible matchups already less of a chance of doing well, especially since first matches are supposed to be blind picks, not counterpicks. Similarly, how many good doubles teams uses double of one character? The only common one is double MK which is:

A) Not the best possible doubles team, this is fairly agreed upon
B) Not even possible in your event

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
You're also discouraging players from using multiple characters and giving ones who have terrible matchups already less of a chance of doing well, especially since first matches are supposed to be blind picks, not counterpicks. Similarly, how many good doubles teams uses double of one character? The only common one is double MK which is:

A) Not the best possible doubles team, this is fairly agreed upon
B) Not even possible in your event
I was referring to Infinity's post about singles when I said what I said. Part of the confusion, I guess, is the way I typed up the rules. I will remove the rule that created the problem.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
These rules are lol, but I'm more curious about the "renting out rooms for free" part.
So you're saying if someone who brings a set-up wants to show up the day before and get a room, you can give it to them for free?

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
No, no, no, you misunderstood me.

If you bring a set up and/or stay at the hotel the night before, I receive credit for a discount when renting out the room that the tournament will actually take place in(the "Meeting Room").

The room that the tournament will be in will cost me $225 to rent out all day, but if there is say, 10-15 rooms booked the night before(exact number will be revealed later once I finalize details), the price of the tournament room may be free to me and I can then use the money that would otherwise be used to pay for the room for bonus pot money.

"You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" is an aft description of what exactly is going on.

Top Bottom