• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Las Cruces Gaming Convention - Get Ranked! - Las Cruces, NM, October 16 and 17

RPGfan2005

Smash Cadet

In The First Annual

Sat/Sun October 16 and 17,Las Cruces, NM
IT'S A 2 DAY EVENT!​

Hosts: RPGfan and PinkChukks​

Promo Video Below

^Click The Banner Above^

VENUE: CORBETT CENTER STUDENT UNION, NMSU, Las Cruces New Mexico

---------VENUE SCHEDULE---------
Saturday, October, 16th
Venue opens at 1:00PM
Venue closes at 11:00PM

Sunday, October, 17th
Venue opens at 10:00AM
Venue closes at 10:00PM

---------Games tourneys Expected to be played besides smash-------
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger = 360
Tekken 6 = PS3
Super Street Fighter 4 = PS3
Marvel vs Capcom 2 = 360
Tatsunoko vs Capcom = Wii
Rock Band = 360/Wii/PS3
Halo 3 = 360
CoD: MW2 = 360/PS3

---------Equipment Still Needed total-----------
17 TVs
1 Wii
3 BlazBlue Copies
3 Tekken 6 Copies
2 Marvel vs Capcom 2 Copies
2 Tatsunoko vs Capcom Copies
3 Rock Band Set Ups
3 Halo 3 Copies
3 CoD: MW2 Copies
5 Surge Protectors
5 Extension cords

and bring as many other games and set ups as you wish.

-----------Games for Friendlies/Fun without tourneys-----------
Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2
Soul Calibur 2
Sonic Riders
King of Fighters (all of them)
(more to be added)

internet/stream:
USTREAM Channel
It will be recorded and shown live. Specially the finals, If there's too many people and we have to hold preliminaries, then the preliminaries won't be recorded/livestreamed.

local transportation:

There's many buses that come to Las Cruces, contact your local bus central to look at prices. It always varies.

EQUIPMENT
(so far)

TVs: 3
Projectors: 1
Wiis: 1
Gamecubes: 1
GC Controllers: 5
Wiimotes: 2
Brawl Copy: 0
Melee Copy: 1

Discounts for bringing setups consists of the following:
$3 off venue fee if you bring a full set up
consisting of a TV, A System, and a Game
The system does include controllers, at least 1 more besides your own.

Let me know as soon as you know for sure you're bringing a set up, so I can add it to the list

RULES:
MRB Official Rules apply
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257229
Double Elimination
B.Y.O.C - Bring Your Own Controller

PRICES:
$10 Venue fee per day.
$5 per tournament per person entrance fee.
(which means, for teams, each person pays $5.)

PRIZES/PAYOUTS:
our goal is to lock at least a 300 dollar pot gold bonus.

Singles:
1-19 = 80 / 20
20 - 39 = 60 / 30 / 10
40 - 79 = 55 / 30 / 10 / 5
80-99 = 55 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 2.5
120+ = 50 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 3⅓ / 3⅓ / 1⅔ / 1⅔

Doubles (# of Teams):
1-9 = 80 / 20
10 - 19 = 60 / 30 / 10
20 - 39 = 55 / 30 / 10 / 5
40-59 = 55 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 2.5
60+ = 50 / 25 / 10 / 5 / 3⅓ / 3⅓ / 1⅔ / 1⅔

sponsors:
Possible Sponsors:
Level 1-1 Retro Gaming - Confirmed

These Old School retro Video Game bros. sure know their stuff.
They have a warehouse full of Video Game memorabilia. Lots of NES, SNES, Genesis, and Dreamcast Games to say the least. You should definately check them out next time you're in El Paso.

SaiPassions - Confirmed

This girl is an Anime Queen. She can recreate literally almost every single piece of Anime and Video Game wardrobe that has ever been aired. You should definitely check out her and her stuff on her website

GameStop
Jack In The Box
Dave's Comics and Games

(more to be added)

crews:
let me know if your team is coming to compete, help, organize, etc.

pre-registration:
you can pay my paypal account:
$15 Registration for Both Days
and I will give you a confirming email receipt that must be printed out and brought to the day of the event.

Housing / Hotels:
•Sleep Inn (approx. 0.7 miles)
•Comfort Suites (approx. 0.8 miles)
•Plaza Suites (approx. 1.1 miles)
•Ramada Palms (approx. 1.2 miles)
•Comfort Inn (approx. 1.3 miles)
•Motel 6 (approx. 1.4 miles)
•Super 8 (approx. 1.4 miles)
•Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites (approx. 1.4 miles)
•Quality Inn (approx. 1.7 miles)
•Hilton Garden Inn (approx. 1.7 miles)

we will try and do our best to find housing with local smashers in case you do not want to pay for the hotel. I know money can be tight, so i will find out who is available for housing in the local area.

What's So Special About This Tourney?

A little about myself first...
I am RPGfan, I am the president of "Game Knights" a student organization at New Mexico State University (NMSU). I had organized a previous tourney to try to get us going, but since it was our first time, it didn't go so well... Anywho, we're back and I guarantee you it won't be the same. Why?
Because while we have a whole new crowd of dedicated Game Knights, I also decided to start some local Power Rankings. More info on the scoring system will come later. I think the The New Mexico Smash Community is fairly large, and I think we can at least establish some good power ranks. So anyone in the world may attend and have a chance for the pot, but only New Mexicans can get ranked in this tourney if they wish to.

question my dependability/notability/elegibility?
click here!
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Smasher:RPGfan

I did something nice for my bf and I did it by following the rules. That page took me hours to create, because I had to go through admins and prove his notability. As am I! I'm calling people, trying to recruit volunteers, trying to get sponsored! We are working are rears off to prove ourselves and give EVERY SMASHER a MUCH better experience than what happened last time. And WE WILL! I'M PUTTING MY SWEAT, HEART, AND SOUL INTO THIS TOURNAMENT! Because this time RPG has a better teammate than he did last time. I actually care about the experience of people who are going to attend an event I'm hosting. I may be a girl, a smasher who won't be number one, and young, but I'm not stupid and I know what hard work is
GAME KNIGHTS CREW LIST FOR THIS EVENT:
Amanda McCay - Mains Pikachu

Nikolae Ewald - Mains Meta Knight

Aaron Gampon - Mains Fox

rel12

Smash Apprentice
Most Likely will be at this! Moving to New Mexico soon & i'll bring the Legendary Black Yoshi here & be at the top! guarantee!!

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
There's been power rankings in NM before, both official and unofficial...do some research before making such claims

I really don't think these rankings are going to fly with the albuquerque smashers and the NVGA...but good luck trying to convince them that this is legit

tw1n

Smash Champion
October is a decent amount away but make sure you're ready this time. You might wanna promote the tournament in other regions threads. Oh and as alphabravo said, we've had NM power rankings. To start a new one for the whole state won't work so easily. Maybe make an official one for LC first and we can have a battle some time between you all and alb :) best of luck with this tournament

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
...um. Wow. Yeah bro under set ups or rules, make it byoc. Bring your own controller. And yeah we had a power rankings before. I would say make a LC power rankings first. The best melee players in the state live in alb and guaranteed most won't be able to make it lol. Good luck tho. Oh and kira, this is not the tourney we were thinking of hosting. Just to avoid confusion.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
There's been power rankings in NM before, both official and unofficial...do some research before making such claims

I really don't think these rankings are going to fly with the albuquerque smashers and the NVGA...but good luck trying to convince them that this is legit

this is EXACTLY what i told him...
but he supposedly got permission from the twins >.>
ive lost all respect for him as a smasher...

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
how about this instead of nm power rankings start a whole new tournament series in las cruces

something like Las Cruces smash monthlies/weeklies/etc

assign points to winners at each tournament example 1st=8 points 2nd= 7 points etc.

call it the las cruces weekly rankings or something that way players in your area can compare themselves to others as well as have goals in order to improve their overall skill

having regular tournaments will help build your local smash scene and encourage more competition/fun

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
how about this instead of nm power rankings start a whole new tournament series in las cruces

something like Las Cruces smash monthlies/weeklies/etc

assign points to winners at each tournament example 1st=8 points 2nd= 7 points etc.

call it the las cruces weekly rankings or something that way players in your area can compare themselves to others as well as have goals in order to improve their overall skill

having regular tournaments will help build your local smash scene and encourage more competition/fun
seems like a good idea, but IDK... rpgfan is pretty stubborn and doesnt really care what any Albuquerque smashers have to say...

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I dont do Melee, Only BRAWL haha seems like most people in Las Cruces play Melee?

lol yeah...
but we'll still play brawl with you...
we dont ONLY play melee... but we do prefer it...
we'll play it when we have nothing better to do (everyone forgot their copy of melee)

tw1n

Smash Champion
Wow that is pretty stubborn. Well i guess depending on school, work and money; me my bro and havox will come and be considered top in new Mexico ha ha. But seriously rpg fan. Listen to those who have more experience in the scene then you. Alphabravo's suggestions are very solid. Or if anything, shadow, you can start hosting some. Just somewhere that won't have a venue fee :)

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Wow that is pretty stubborn. Well i guess depending on school, work and money; me my bro and havox will come and be considered top in new Mexico ha ha. But seriously rpg fan. Listen to those who have more experience in the scene then you. Alphabravo's suggestions are very solid. Or if anything, shadow, you can start hosting some. Just somewhere that won't have a venue fee :)

actually i had been talking with a friend of mine about hosting a tournament...
i know of this library that could lend us a pretty big room...
we were thinking of starting there

Twin_A

Smash Champion
I never gave permission or anything ... I told you guys in texts that we had power rankings previously. And then i answered both of your questions as to who i thought was better and how to improve. But really alpha bravo is a seasoned vet and well respected in this community. I would take his advice to heart. And depending on school and money I'll go. But there has to be a turnout this time lol.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I never gave permission or anything ... I told you guys in texts that we had power rankings previously. And then i answered both of your questions as to who i thought was better and how to improve. But really alpha bravo is a seasoned vet and well respected in this community. I would take his advice to heart. And depending on school and money I'll go. But there has to be a turnout this time lol.
I know you probably didnt give him permission. Im just going by what he told me...
I told him that it was a horrible idea and he came up with something like " ive already talked and gotten permission from the twins and the albuquerque pros..." and he also said that you guys ASKED and INTERVIEWED him so he could get his own smashwiki profile >.>... he's probably gonna deny it but i have the txts locked on my phone to prove it when you guys come down...

tw1n

Smash Champion
i don't care about proof or anything. The whole NM powerrankings part is dumb. But an LC power ranking is a great idea. Your tournaments will start small but its something to work with. As a whole, the nm power rankings can't be officially decided by one tournament. It would take several tournaments with a panel to talk it out and decide who they feel goes where. No one person can say who is on top and make it official. Especially when they are claiming they are number one.

Look at it this way. Albuquerques top contenders for number one can never decide who truly is best.

TwinA votes for Alphabravo.
Alphabravo says its sliraobe god.
And Sliraobe god says its TwinA who is the best.

None of them claim that they are without a doubt number one.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Shwing.

But who claims smash 64?!
Most likely you are the better of us at it... but in this bizarro set that means I shall come out on top! Wooh hoo!!!

RPGfan2005

Smash Cadet
ShadowPhoenix is a bullcrap

Twin A.
I know Shadow seems like he's more into the Smash Community and has more knowledge than me. And he maybe does.

But he doesn't do crap here.

I established a Student Organization to play games, I host weekly tournaments, I give out prizes and created the websites.
He's just a smasher... And a hateful one at that.
If you ever get to know him a lot more, you'll see he's a backstabbing, talk-crap about you, S.O.B.

So I promise you, please believe me, I am not stubborn, I did not say all the things Shadow said, and I am willing to hear suggestions and improvements.

Thank you AlphaBravo for your feedback,
now going into that...

If you all do not like my Power Rankings idea, that's ok, I'll start small and make it into a LC thing.
or we can actually work it out, and maybe you guys can help me get the power rankings started AGAIN. Cause yeah, I didn't know there had already been power rankings established. I apologize for that.

I will make a big LC tourney though, and expect a big payout. please come and compete!
and I will demonstrate you that this time, I am legit, and I am not what Shadow has made me look like.
If you look at the history pages of my SmashWiki Smasher Page:
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/index.php?title=Smasher:RPGfan&action=history

he has sabotaged it many times, with ridiculous edits, you can see so for yourself. If it wasn't for the moderator Toomai, He would have destroyed my page.

So please, there's my proof that Shadow is total bolony, and I beg for one more chance to prove myself to Alburquerque, and the rest of the smash community.

Also if you remember, Shadow was supposed to help me run the first tourney, but he was just walking around with his controller looking for someone to play. Not to say I did better, but at least I was trying to get everything together.

So please reconsider,

RPG

tw1n

Smash Champion
Thank you for that well stated post RPG. As I said in a previous one, I really could care less about the he said this and he said that part. i don't need proof that someone did or didn't do something. I am only looking at what is here now.

My bro and I are planning on coming to this just as long as it does not end how the last one was (also pending if I am in Denver that weekend lol). We just want to make sure that you don't expect a big turn out and have a low one. That would cause for the same issues as last time in terms of not being able to afford the venue fee as a TO.

If I am able to make it, and you need any assistance in running this, I would be more than happy to help out.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
wasn't the last las cruces tourney horrible? i heard it ended early and there weren't cash prizes or something, but that's just my foggy memory of what I heard.

however, if there are cash prizes and a car going I'll try to get down there.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Shwing.

But who claims smash 64?!
Probably the hardest one to decide lol.

IDk, I'm not sure whether I wanna go to this or not. The ABQ Brawl scene is like <5 people lol, and we don't care to have an official PR because we mostly know already. If we get a car going, and there are cash prizes involved, I might go.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
RPGfan = lies

He's just a smasher... And a hateful one at that.
If you ever get to know him a lot more, you'll see he's a backstabbing, talk-crap about you, S.O.B.

So I promise you, please believe me, I am not stubborn, I did not say all the things Shadow said, and I am willing to hear suggestions and improvements.

he has sabotaged it many times, with ridiculous edits, you can see so for yourself. If it wasn't for the moderator Toomai, He would have destroyed my page.

RPG

First of all

Im only an ******* to you Rpg... and i have my reasons. you can ask any other smasher out here and theyll agree with me that I'm only a ***** to you... And you can't say that its only one sided... You act like you dont insult me either...

I only edited your smashwiki because you txted me 20 times while i was in class to show off your smashwiki that clearly your girlfriend wrote... and then lied about who wrote it...

And GO AHEAD and deny all your claims... The Albuquerque smashers can just take a look at my phone when they come over... I saved EVERYTHING...

If it wasnt true, then you wouldnt have txted me last night asking me to remove my posts...

RPGfan2005

Smash Cadet
First of all

Im only an ******* to you Rpg... and i have my reasons. you can ask any other smasher out here and theyll agree with me that I'm only a ***** to you... And you can't say that its only one sided... You act like you dont insult me either...

I only edited your smashwiki because you txted me 20 times while i was in class to show off your smashwiki that clearly your girlfriend wrote... and then lied about who wrote it...

And GO AHEAD and deny all your claims... The Albuquerque smashers can just take a look at my phone when they come over... I saved EVERYTHING...

If it wasnt true, then you wouldnt have txted me last night asking me to remove my posts...
Yes what I say is true, say whatever you want to say
I don't care. I asked you nicely to remove your posts.

If you don't and continue to harass me, as a TO I shall ban you from any and all big regional tourneys we have in LC or anywhere else we organize.
you have been warned.

and I shall not reply to your posts anymore.
remove your previous hate filled posts, or you know the consequences.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Yes what I say is true, say whatever you want to say
I don't care. I asked you nicely to remove your posts.

If you don't and continue to harass me, as a TO I shall ban you from any and all big regional tourneys we have in LC or anywhere else we organize.
you have been warned.

and I shall not reply to your posts anymore.
remove your previous hate filled posts, or you know the consequences.
Youre not going to scare me by threatening to ban me...
scared to lose in tourney to me???
Im just saying the truth...
I have no reason to lie... what would i gain by lying??? i'd love to have a power rankings... and id love it if the albuquerque people came down to smash again

Whatever... Its not my decision anyways... Albuquerque will decide if this is legit in the end... Youre a good smasher Rpg... its just that you try and pick up tasks that arent yours...

Also :
i don't care about proof or anything. The whole NM powerrankings part is dumb. .
Notice how they dont care if what i say is true or not... and they still dissaprove of the idea...

and LOL @ big regional tourneys in LC...
we've had like one tourney...

tw1n

Smash Champion
^This is true. I see drama everywhere and I just keep walking passed it.

You too need to stop *****ing tho and help each other out. Seriously.

Or just stop talking to eachother except when it is to decide what stage to go to when you play eachother in a tourney match.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
I don't know if I can make this weekend. But who knows we'll see. It all depends on school and money. Oh and the prizes thing. That is a factor too >.>

You both have the "he said she said" thing going on and to be honest it's kind of annoying. Whats sad is if you guys really are the only dedicated smashers in LC, then you need each others help to get the scene going. And all you two are doing is fighting amongst yourselves. Get over it and worry about getting a turn out so that you don't have to take money out of the pot again to cover venue fee (again).

And if my brother, Lewis, and I do end up going. I already mentioned to ShadowPhoenix about an all of LC crew battle vs my brother and I or against the 3 of us. We can put 5 bucks in a person to make it interesting if needed.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
And if my brother, Lewis, and I do end up going. I already mentioned to ShadowPhoenix about an all of LC crew battle vs my brother and I or against the 3 of us. We can put 5 bucks in a person to make it interesting if needed.

Its fine now... we settled our differences... forget about it...
I retract nothing of what i said...
We are interested in the crew battle...

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
First of all, SP, you accused RPG of creating his OWN wiki page. And he told you he did NOT make it. Secondly when I confronted you IN PERSON and asked you, "Why did you do that to his page?". And you said, it was BS and he made it himself, then I said no he didn't I did. You said, "it's the same thing." It isn't the same thing because he didn't know I did it till after it was published! I did it as something nice for my bf and I did it by following the rules.

Let me tell you, even if HE did make it himself, that does not give you the right to be an a** and change it to say he loves porn, he's a sex addict and sabotage his profile/rep. Seriously you're a coward. That page took me hours to create, because I had to go through admins and prove his notability and secondly I taught myself to do something I had no clue how to do. So when he told me you f-ed it up, I was really upset because it took a lot of hard work for me to do that. And just because you can't control yourself, that doesn't mean you should do whatever the heck you want. It affects more than just the person you are trying to degrade.

If you're gf did that for you, and RPG did what you did, you'd be upset. And I know you would.

Secondly, I say you're coward because you can only express your hate through text. Every time we smash together, you are as quiet as mouse. Instead of handling things like a sensible, civilized person, you expose it to the very people RPG admires and make him look like a douche. For what? Honestly. To make yourself look better? You haven't done anything to expand the Smash community here in LC and RPG puts himself out there, he made the gaming club in college, he is working so hard for this tourney coming up right now. As am I! You have no idea how much hard work I'm putting into this tournament. I'm calling people, trying to recruit volunteers, trying to get sponsored! We are working are rears off to prove ourselves and give EVERY SMASHER a MUCH better experience than what happened last time. And WE WILL! So instead of you talking smack, why don't you let him represent himself. You may be active online but you don't do crap in RL.

I wasn't going to say anything and remain neutral. But now you are affecting not just him but me because MY name is up there too. I'm not going to be idle and allow you to tear down our reputation, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I'M PUTTING MY SWEAT, HEART, AND SOUL INTO THIS TOURNAMENT!

Something you declined to do with the last one that epically failed. If this next tournament fails, then let the smashers decided that themselves after the experience. Because this time RPG has a better teammate than he did last time. I actually care about the experience of people who are going to attend an event I'm hosting. I may be a girl, a smasher who won't be number one, and young, but I'm not stupid and I know what hard work is. We'll see the turn out of this tournament, and this time, without you.

>___> so now his gf comes to fight his battles...
i already said to forget it...

RPGfan2005

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I can make this weekend. But who knows we'll see. It all depends on school and money. Oh and the prizes thing. That is a factor too >.>

You both have the "he said she said" thing going on and to be honest it's kind of annoying. Whats sad is if you guys really are the only dedicated smashers in LC, then you need each others help to get the scene going. And all you two are doing is fighting amongst yourselves. Get over it and worry about getting a turn out so that you don't have to take money out of the pot again to cover venue fee (again).

I have to agree with TwinA here...

let's drop it, totally, but...
I do demand an apology from ShadowPhoenix, because no matter what his intentions might have been, he did try to humiliate me, and for no good reason. Just to prove to be right.
So until that happeneds I shall not talk to him.

Leaving that behind us...

I booked the venue, and I got a venue fee...
It's more expensive than last time, but they're willing to allow sponsors to come in.
So If we get hyped and bring as many smashers as possible, as well as any gamers out there. I think we can pull this off!

please support us ABQ, El Paso, and all of New Mexico!

Top Bottom