• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Re-Discussion: Meta Knight

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu vs. Meta Knight
( Link to central matchup thread. )

Resources for discussion:

Current MU Ratio (subject to change after discussion): 43:57 in Meta Knight's favor
Can we CG him?: Yes

- 0% - 52% + regrab
- Dthrow x 7 > grab
*First 3 regrabs are escapable with footstool.

Our Original Matchup Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=181300
Their Matchup Opinion/Thread: ??:?? in Meta Knight's favor, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=179463
Good luck finding anything in there. There's bits and pieces scattered everywhere, but no summary was ever made, and I have yet to find an actual dicussion.

Pikachu Frame Data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=223901
Meta Knight Frame Data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205614

Summary:

In progress.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
55:45 MK.

This match is literally a guessing game. It would be even if MK couldn't dair camp, but it is pretty effective against Pikachu once MK is winning.

Up close the match goes as follows:

MK F-tilt/D-tilt > Pika Ground approach
Pika SH Dair OR T-jolt approach > F-tilt
MK Up-b > SH Dair and T-jolt approach (Up-b OOS)
Pika run shield > Up-b
MK Grab > Pika run shield
SH Dair > MK Grab

D-smash, Thunder, F-smash, and T-jolt from the top break Tornado. MK has enough mobility in tornado to avoid basically every one of those. I have D-smashed on reaction to Tornado, the MK waits till the D-smash ends, and then hits me. It is quite silly.

Pikachu legit CG starts at 16%. You can get 3 regrabs I believe. The 2 best options are nair (Preferred) and reverse U-tilt. Reverse U-tilt puts MK above you, and unless MK literally dairs out of it, you can follow up with uairs. However, if he dairs, you can punish it. It is really just a guessing game...

U-smash thunder will kill MK at 100% before U-smash, and U-tilt thunder at 110% before u-tilt. MK's F-smash will kill Pikachu at ~120%, and his D-smash will kill at ~135% (Backswing). Nair will kill at ~130%

If we are winning, camp T-jolts. However, don't spam them. MK is really REALLY good at punishing...read my thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284281 for more details on that. I don't feel like I need to go over it.

If MK is dair camping, try to find a pattern. If you can, punish with DJ Uairs to Nair. Or...you can predict his jump and thunder. I have hit Seibrik with thunder like that several times. It is pretty amazing. Um...there isn't really many other options besides that, unless you try to punish landing...but nado/dimensional cape makes that near impossible.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
You can also hit MK safely with a Bair in between his Dair camping can't you? Like at the end of the animation or so right?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
and watch as he exceeds the edge grab limit.
Lol. The LGL works on everybody BUT MK, esp on transforming stages.

I agree with you on him being more likely to air camp...... it's pretty much just as effective if he's got a solid lead.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Well, I'm just starting too pick up Pikachu again. So fun <3

So I'm guessing Pika can't Shield and then U-tilt his way through MK's Dair camping?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
MK shouldn't be doing it low enough to hit our shield. If he is, he doesn't know how to dair camp.

Basically, MK would be high in the air (FH and DJ distance) and basically create an invisible wall of hitboxes (If you go this far in, you are gonna get daired). Even if MK doesn't dair every time, it limits our options because we basically have uair to combat it, and that is it. If we go with a uair and he reacts, he DJ dairs again, hitting us away. We have to be very patient, but MK only dair camps when he is wininng, so it is really hard to regain the lead. He can time Pika out like that if he gets a 40-50% lead.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Soo, thunder is out of the question too? I know mind games arn't a part of a match-up but you can QAC(mind game)into Thunder maybe?

Lol, not trying too annoy. Trying to learn. :)
ESAM fan btw.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Can't Pikachu crawl under the Dair to bait MK into getting lower and then go for punishment? Or at least avoid draining your shield because he also has to go very low first if he tries to tornado you? I think characters with a good duck should use that option more. Even Snake's don't use it even though he has a really good duck [+crawl]. If a small character like Pikachu can crawl around under dair and tornado it can be hard for MK to get you into a bad position.

:059:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The object of dair camping isn't to hit the opponent, it is to keep them out. They aren't that intent on hitting you, so they won't go low enough so that you can retaliate.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Yeah, I understand now. I guess the only real options are too time your Uair in between frames or use Thunder. If you have good eyes, I don't think it's too hard. It is still annoying though.

I learned something today. Thanks ESAM. :) You might see me here more often.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Yeah, ESAM basically covered the lot of it.

But if he is so high up when dair camping, would a QAC->Thunder surprise do something? Maybe not hit, but if he is too high, you can have your shield up by the time he gets down to you.
I mean, it seems better than jumping into it or standing on the ground for :50 seconds while he has the lead and it goes to time.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
MK should never be THAT high dair camping...maybe just jumping.

Also, B-reverse thunders are safe besides dimensional cape.

Top Bottom