• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Re-Discussion: Donkey Kong

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu vs. Donkey Kong
( Link to central matchup thread. )

Resources for discussion:

Current MU Ratio (subject to change after discussion): 57:43 in Pikachu's favor
Can we CG him?: Yes

- 0% - 67% + regrab
- Fthrow x 10 > grab

- 7% - 26% + regrab
- Dthrow x 2 > grab
*Can escape anytime with footstool.

Our Original Matchup Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218987
Their Matchup Opinion/Thread: 55:45 in Pikachu's favor, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=273168&

Pikachu Frame Data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=223901
Donkey Kong Frame Data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202958

Summary:

In progress.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I still agree with 55:45 Pikachu.

Pikachu doesn't have a hard time getting in. With T-jolt approaches DK can't do much. His F-tilt won't hit the jolt and us, it will only hit one. If he shields it facing towards us, we can jump and T-jolt again. Once we get in we destroy obviously, with our pseudo combos and uair juggling. Don't forget the CG! Edgeguarding/perssuring will give DK a lot of %, so make sure you do it well.

On the other side, if DK is on the offensive...Pikachu runs for his life. T-jolts slow him down, but his bair is basically a platform with a hitbox. at like 15% it combos into itself and puts Pikachu in a bad position. Down-B will outrange anything you can try to do on the ground defensively (Including pivot F-smashes). However, DK is very predictable. If he is in the air facing away from you, shield. Watch for the FF landing to grab and the headbutt (Forward B). It can destroy shields.

Pikachu has actually a very little amount of pressure from DK compared to most characters. Most characters are forced to air-dodge when DK jumps at them when they are in the air, but Pikachu can QAC away. It alleviates a ton of pressure. Just don't do it too close or you will get hit and then have phantom lag.

Getting killed is obviously a big fear. We will die no later than 90% from any smash attack/punch. Fresh uair about halfway in the air on FD will kill at like...120-130%. Bair fresh will kill at 130% at the edge, and u-tilt will kill at 100%. It is stupidly strong for no reason...

Pikachu should get a lot of easy thunder kills. If we place it in the middle of him, he can't escape, he is too fat. U-smash thunder will kill at 120% before U-smash probably. U-tilt thunder at 140%. F-smash at the edge probably at like 130-140%. Remember...if he up-b breaks, free anything.

:D

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Me having fun at MLG. Complete with ESAM cringing right behind me.

I hate donkey punch
Me getting DK punched. I concur. ESAM's face says it all.

In a small retrospect kind of way, I don't feel so bad now considering Mikelous almost wiped out 1/4th of our NC crew. Ima get you next time Mikelous.

I got my techs, mindgames, and approaches down; i just need more exp points.

I'd say, watch out for side-B after b-air and when you try to snipe his landings with f-smash or something--I did it to Rollerking at the pika house, Ussi paid for it against my lil bro's DK one time, and ESAM saw it coming too but also got caught by Will's DK. And DK can also do that invicibility glitch on PK stadium platforms.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Match-up is still 55:45. I played Will and I was winning most of the times. It is pretty easy to stay away from the kill moves, and punches are always predictable and you have a lot of reaction time (Maybe because I play DK so its predictable...)

Match-up is really fun either way.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I don't really have much experience, but I heard that you can grab him through his tilts or something?

It's a fun match, once I get past 80% or so, I start getting really defensive and wait for an opportunity because of those early kills.
What are some good/bad stages for DK? I like Halberd for some reason.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You can grab any attacks that aren't disjointed at any time...just time it right to get the grab armor.

Bad stage for DK would be FD/SV. SV less so because when the platform is offstage he can jump on and get a punch. If you go after, he can grab b-throw for kills or he can just D-smash or something.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
You can grab any attacks that aren't disjointed at any time...just time it right to get the grab armor.

Bad stage for DK would be FD/SV. SV less so because when the platform is offstage he can jump on and get a punch. If you go after, he can grab b-throw for kills or he can just D-smash or something.
Lol, yes. I play on both most of the time either way, with my DK. But just never let them counter pic Lylat Cruise. That imo is the perfect stage for him. The platforms are leveled right above his head, and it's VERY easy for him too set up kills with his U-smash.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So yeah, on stages to ban for Pikachu, ban brinstar. You will die stupid early, it messes up our CG, and its just...bad.

Don't take DK to picto, he has his little ledge hop UP-b invulnerability thingy. I mean, it isn't a huge deal, but ledge pressure for pika is a big part of the MU, and not having that can be really bad.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
So yeah, on stages to ban for Pikachu, ban brinstar. You will die stupid early, it messes up our CG, and its just...bad.

Don't take DK to picto, he has his little ledge hop UP-b invulnerability thingy. I mean, it isn't a huge deal, but ledge pressure for pika is a big part of the MU, and not having that can be really bad.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that as well on Lylat. The stage seems to be built around DK. If anything, just make it flat stages to play him on. Smashville works well, as long as you don't get on the platform. If you like running space with Pika (which I think you would) then just stick to taking him to Final Destination. No platforms, more room to play with and the chance of DK getting caught under the corners of the stage.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
FD and PS1 seem to be the best bets. BF is OK, just don't get caught on platforms.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
FD and PS1 seem to be the best bets. BF is OK, just don't get caught on platforms.
That's why I wouldn't reccoment BF. The only one that's alright to be on is the center platfotm on the top. It's predictable if he's gonna jump and go for a U-air. Other than that, keep yourself completly grounded.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I'd give Pikachu the slight advantage because of the chain grabbing. Doesn't it go up to something like 50% if done right from the beginning of FD? Besides that, Pikachu has some little combos and stuff, but DK outranges Pikachu, can pull off a quicker kill, and lives longer. Most projectiles **** up DK but thunder jolts are easy to get round with ftils and other attacks.

/My 2 cents.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Pikachu should get a lot of easy thunder kills. If we place it in the middle of him, he can't escape, he is too fat.

:D
He's not FAT.

UGH!!

:p But yeah, I totally agree with the MU. I would also say it's 55/45

Top Bottom