• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

pika got slides! Pikasliding: an in depth look

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Pika Sliding, an in Depth Tutorial!

How to do this son of a gun

So have you ever wanted to space with Pikachu, yes, SPACE with Pikachu? You may be thinking, FZ you are crazy, surely there is no true way to space well with Pikachu, all he has is dtilt and fsmash. Well those two moves are all you need to space like a god **** marth.
So pika sliding, the AT we are gonna be talking about here, utilizes one of pikas best spacing tools, his dtilt.

So as you may or may not know pika sliding is an advanced tech that….well as the title says SLIDES you. To do this technique, all you have to do is perform a dtilt, then hold back on the control stick. If done right you should see pika move backwards faster than normal.

Some common errors that many people tend to make deal with the timing on holding back. Alota times I see people holding back after dtilt is over, but it is much easier to just hold back DURING the dtilt animation. So to get it to work easily, just do a dtilt and while the animation of pikas adorable tail going in a circle commences just hold back.

An easy way to check if you are doing it right is to try the same thing with your other tilts. If you do an utilt and hold back you will get no backwards momentum, but you will definitely see the difference when doing the same thing with a dtilt if you did It correctly.

Congratulations! You can now pikaslide

What moves can I do out of pikasliding?

Well, just about any!
The first thing to talk about is which moves you will be using with pikasliding, and I mean which moves you will be using that are PRACTICAL.The first and most useful move you can use out of pikasliding is..

*Fsmash*

Fsmash will give you the best spacing options out of any attack you can do out of dtilt. To do this, simply dtilt, hold back and when u start moving after dtilt ends, smack forward on the c stick (assuming you are using smash stick) fsmash will give you a good amount of backwards momentum, and you will get the most out of your slide when using fsmash as a spacing tool. If done correctly you should see pikas slide and fsmash at the same time, which makes this an invaluable spacing tool when you are forced to play a ground game against an opponent.

Don’t forget that fsmash can also be charged, but if u charge it like you would normally, your slide will stop! If you want to charge the fsmash you want to let yourself move back a little more from your slide, then simply press c stick forward and slide your index finger across z to charge it.
Play around with it for a bit and you will definitely see how fsmash is a great option out of pikasliding. Some instances in which it becomes an invaluable tool include:

.Pressuring someone who is shield grab happy. If you pika slide after dtilting someone’s shield and fsmash you will get away from the grab and actually be able to punish their wiffed grab that they thought was going to land.

.Punishing rollers. Anyone who likes to roll can be made quick work of by fsmashing out of the slide. If you read the roll and let yourself slide enough, you can get further than their roll and be dirctley behind them, which typically lands the fsmash on them at pikas sweetspotted cheeks.

.general spacing. If you just want space and are feeling pressued, fsmash will make sure that they gtfo. you get so much momentum off of your slide that it is very hard to be punished, even tho its pikas fsmash.

*Usmash*

Usmash has less practicality than fsmash, a lot less actually. The reason im mentioning it is because I mainly want to talk about using sliding on lucario.
Lucarios roll, unlike others, will get him too far away from you to be able to get enough momentum to punish him if he rolls after your dtilt, but usmash will get him. If you fsmash the opposite way that you are facing, you wont move back while u fsmash, youll stay in place. You can fsmash AFTER the slide but u cant slide and fsmash at the same time in the opposite direction, plus v lucario u wont be able to get the cheekspot on your fsmash. Fsmash only works if you are fsmashing in the SAME DIRECTION you are facing b4 the pika slide happened. This is why usmash can stop problem lucario rolls. Usmash, unlike fsmash, can be used in the opposite direction. So u can actually bait a lucario to roll after dtilt and just hold back to start your slide, then usmash in the opposite direction. Try it out, its easy and it’s a good mixup! This can be used on other rollers as well, just this is a good tool to use on lucario since his roll is so absurd.
And finally

*jolts*

Jolts can be made somewhat useful thru pika sliding because you obtain backward momentum by the slide. Because of this, you can dtilt, pikas slide, then fh a jolt which will automatically obtain you backward momentum as you jump up, making it safe and easier to get a jolt off when you feel pressured. To see the momentum on the jump just dtilt and jump as the dtilt ends, there is NO NEED TO HOLD BACK to get the momentum for the hop, it come automatically.

Is this AT really worth it? I don’t know if ill ever use it

The answer to this is yes. As a Pikachu main you know better than anyone (cept for wa wa warrrrio mains) that our range is horrid, and spacing with pika aint no walk in the pokepark. With pikasliding, Pikachu has a more reliable way to put distance between him and his opponent. Fsmash ensures that if the if the dtilt hit a shield, you WILL be moved back far enough to have it act as a spaced smash. Jolts can be utilized more safely with pikasliding as well. In all honesty, the only time you are really going to be using pikasliding is in combination with fsmash to space, or just to get away when you feel your tilt was not spaced right. Many people are unaware of this skill pika has tho, so it is usually safe to fsmash out of it. This techinique is in my opinion one of pikas coolest and most useful ATs to have. It literally allows pika to space while on the ground, and will hopefully allow many of you to start spacing well when pikas is forced to play grounded.

It should also be noted that it is not wise to pika slide after every downtilt. A downtilt that does NOT hit a shield or spot dodge and is far away from an opponent can lead you to being punished if you fsmash due to its cooldown time. As any other move goes, it has to be used in the right place at the right time, but if utilized properly, pika sliding can become one of your greatest ally’s in the war against having crap range.

Here is a video explaining just how pika sliding works and what it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnr7P5Ms9A0

I hope that this has been helpful for many of you who did not know how to pikaslide, or who did know but were curious as to how to practically use it.

Now let’s go out there and show people how much of a spacing game pika really has!

~Lawrence Segrue (Forever Zero to many)

EDIT: one improtant note, if you are pikasliding at high percents BE CAREFUL because if you arent spacing it great or a move that outspaces you gets thrown at you, YOU WILL ALREADY BE DI'ing DOWN AND THIS COULD CAUSE YOU TO DIE!!!

be extra careful about how and when you pika slide, it should be used as a mixup and a read for rollers, not something you do on shields all the time.

dont be predictable
dont be hasty

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
So, I knew how it works. But I didn't know I could reverse a U-smash or jolt out of it.
I think I can start doing this now...

This is a really awesome guide. I need to update that directory.

Edit: Just finished the video. You move so smooth, FZ.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
haha thanks guys!

yeah i really find this AT to be very very useful, its great imo against shieildgrabers especialy cuz even if ur in their face u can slide back and bait the grab with dtilt and get a free fsmash

PZ

Smash Lord
This can be done with many moves its just those are easy to see. Hmmz any moves pikaslide reverse thunder n pika slide qac.....MINDGAMED

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
This can be done with many moves its just those are easy to see. Hmmz any moves pikaslide reverse thunder n pika slide qac.....MINDGAMED
yeah like i showed on my vid theres tonnnns of moves that can be done out of it, slide to thunder wld be interesting as it wld setup a wall, but thats why in the writup i inlcuded just the 3 cuz those are the only ones your really gonna be using in PRACTICALITY. fsmash is all i ever use out of it tbh unless im reading a roll then i may usmash, but thats only v lucarios, fsmash can cheekspot if the persons roll is mediocre.

try out anything u want with it tho! its a great tool and theres many cool things you can do with it!

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
This is really nice Fz. Good, understandable write up and a nice video too.
*goes to practice*

PZ

Smash Lord
W8 isnt that a pivoted fsmash after pikaslide making it have godly spacing qualities by that i mean for pika

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
W8 isnt that a pivoted fsmash after pikaslide making it have godly spacing qualities by that i mean for pika

yes it is. but u cant really get the cheeks as well where as usmash u get the better sweetspot which is why i mentioned usmash insetad of fsmash pivot Oo pika slide to kill lucarios

and yes original thsi is old but like hardly any pika use it and few know how to do it, so this thread is here to help ppl utilize this great abilty

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
SO...just been applying this sliding all night.

FZ I love you forever, give or take the homo.
haha thanks leaf!

i love using it, u really gotta be thinking when u do it, not a move u just throw out there randomly but its great for pikas spacing game

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
You actually don't need to hold back. You just have to dtilt and input the move at the right time.
um no u def need to hold back LOL if u dont ull get a tiny bit of backwards momentum IF YOU JUMP but if just dtilt and fsmash after u dont get the slide, u must hold back to obtain it. where did u hear this from cuz u def gotta hold back to get the slide

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
hm yes u are right. it does give a slight slide, to really use it to space tho u wana hold back, itll give u a much better slide and you can avoid shield grabs on dtilt and punish with it.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
One thing I'd be careful about is dtilt sliding when you're at high percentages. If you get hit with anything even moderately strong, you'll die..... because you'll be DIing down. :urg:

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I'm still having some difficulty pulling off the massive slide. How do I time everything, exactly?

The Truth!

Smash Ace
^I answer your question in the last paragraph or two

Ok, so I did some testing on this awhile back, and tested a little more just right now to confirm. Heres how I think it works. In other areas of brawl research theyve already confirmed that acceleration exists in this game. Basically you dont start out at your top speed for (all?) analog stick movement, you start off slowly and gradually increase to your maximum speed. To get an idea of this just start walking in one direction, youll notice that you start off slow and then get faster after a bit.

For some reason dtilt makes the game believe you are already at your (max?) speed in the opposite direction for whatever is being inputed. So this causes a few things to happen, Ill describe a few.

- If you do nothing, then nothing happens.

-If you do something like jump, then itll push you back starting at your (max?) air speed, but itll very quickly lose momentum like it normally would if you do nothing

-If you do something like just fsmash, itll push you back as if youd been walking at (max?) speed and then fsmashed in the opposite direction, leaving you with a small amount of momentum.

-If you buffer a forward dash, youll make a small little dash hop forward as if youd dash danced (dashed backwards then forwards quickly). This one looks funny.

Now the important one. If you just hold backwards as if you were walking, you'll start moving at your (max?) walk speed, which is fairly fast for pika. Reason I think its max speed is because if you keep holding backwards youll notice you start walking at the same speed you had with the pikaslide.

Now to get the max distance out of your slide, basically you want to hold backwards for the amount of time it would normally take you to get to your top walk speed. Thats a little ambiguous, but the basic idea is the longer you hold it generally the more distance youll get out of it. That doesnt mean you want to get the max distance every time, just hold backwards as long as you think you need to to accomplish what you want.

One last note, I would also suggest that in addition to practical aggressive options FZ did a great job of listing and describing, that you also consider the option of just walking (or dashing) away from danger as situations call for it. This actually makes dtilt a bit safer than before.

(Final final thing. For fsmash, charging it can be helpful too.)

Chew

Smash Rookie
Fsmash is the only useful move to use out of this imo

Should be renamed the Electric Slide (sorry for any1 who doesn't get this pun, which i hope i nobody)

pikaslide sounds lame

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Electric slide takes too long to say. Pikaslide is smooth to say. And i have gotten use out of every usable move out of this somehow in a serious match. Just gotta be creative with it.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Lets not bump a thread from 4 months ago discussing a name, kthx.

Good thread either way, this will help my spacing game

Top Bottom