• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attn: Button Mashers

e__

Smash Ace
Stop breaking your controller and losing matches trying to mash out of the IC chaingrab. After you reach a certain percent it's impossible to get out without them screwing up. Just wait so that you can take advantage when/if they do screw up.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
E, you're wrong. Talk to me about this, I'll teach you to mash. Next time we're in the same place I'll show you.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Attn, I broke out of an ic chaingrab like five times earlier from low percents by mashing.
But seriously, how do you break controllers and lose matches that way.
Seriously.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
If you've never broken a controller due to mashing, I don't want to hear about your ICs experience.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
but how
I can try as hard as **** and not do anything to a controller
and I'm generally strong

link2702

Smash Champion
break the ice climber players controller, easier, and more effecitve

problem solved.

TreK

Is "that guy"
ICs can't kill me before 150. Too early = they have to charge their smash = I get out.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Actually, setting the D-Pad to attack is pointless.
Having just spent 20 minutes testing mash-outs, the input that seems the have the largest effect is the control stick, so rotating the control stick as quickly as possible is, as far as I can tell, the fastest single way of mashing.
I tried combining this control stick rotation with other things to see if it increased the speed of mashing out, control stick + C-stick/R+L/D-Pad as attack didn't seem to make any difference, however I was able to mash out quickest by rotation the control stick as quickly as possible whilst mashing the A/B/X/Y buttons with the 3 middle fingers on my other hand.

The D-pad on attack was the slowest method I tried of mashing out, even mashing R and L was faster.

Tesh

Smash Hero
There was a thread in 2009 detailing how many frames each input removes from shield breaks and grabs. Someone should find it....

I remember just such a discussion. And c-stick was the fastest method. It removed 16 frames from your grab duration. However, it could not be rotated like the control stick, it had to be returned to neutral each time before trying again. Control stick, trigger, attack, special, and jump each removed a number of frames from the duration. Not sure if that method is still true today.

All in all, button mashing is still bad as you might not realize when you escaped and do a dodge or something only to get regrabbed again. No panic button mashing, but in control button mashing is needed to stop when you truly break out.

There was a thread in 2009 detailing how many frames each input removes from shield breaks and grabs. Someone should find it....

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209846
Bingo!

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So according to that, DPad vs. Control Stick is purely which you can rotate faster. Except with unrestricted control editing, I'm pretty sure you can set DPad to Smash, so if a TO allows it, you could set DPad to Smash, having a much faster breakout time. Of course, if you don't use CC (i.e. 90% of the scene) you could have problems with not being able to use it most of the time, due to not being able to transfer your control scheme.

All in all, CStick + Control Stick seems to be safest.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Oh I thought diagonals mattered when turning the stick... Every turn would have been 12 inputs, it's in fact 4 inputs and sucks :/
Doesn't matter, I've never been able to turn it fast, I smack it back and forth diagonally, twice as fast as I would turn it -> it's in fact twice as effective as it would be for me.

That doesn't answer me : what happens for c stick diagonals ?

Since people never seem to click on other smash boards links as I had linked to earlier, I'll just mass quote it.

Okay so I decided to do this because I was bored.

0% grabbed = 90 frames

Subtracted with an input

C stick = 16! frames you must flick or it will subtract 0 frames
A = 8
Control stick direction = 8
Z = 8
R = 8
L = 8
B = 8
Y = 8
X = 8

??? - It seems that going diagonal removes 16 frames? HOWEVER IF YOU HAD INPUTED ONE OF THE DIRECTIONS THAT IT REPRESENTS IT WILL DO NOTHING.
Meaning if I go North east but went east(Lost 8 frames) it will not take away another 8 or 16 it will take away 0 plus the 8 you did already. So when rotating, diagonals don't matter.

300% grabbed = 600 frames....

Increase 1.7 every percent... Determined by 600-90 = 510
510/300

And 10% = 107 frames.... 107-90 = 17
17/10= 1.7.

Break Speeds held on ground / ground released...

ALL CHARACTERS EXCEPT NESS, LUCAS and DK will recover after being free from a grab at Frame 30.

DK recover - 20!

Ness recover - 40

Lucas recover - 40

Other stuff...

I decided since bowser can do so much stuff to people:

Bowser holding opponent time to recovery after break: 20 frames... This is why DK is invulnerable to Bowser's grab combos.

For everyone else IT'S 30, the same amount of time that Almost all characters recovery from escaping a characters grab this is why other characters don't have ground break release problems besides Ness and Lucas who recover at 40.

EXCEPT FOR SQUIRTLE who has a jiggly puff problem the producers of the game likely forgot a frame for he has a 29 frame recovery when holding his opponents....

JUMP BREAKS:

Mario - 50
Luigi - 50
Peach - 50
Bowser - 50
Donkey Kong - 50
Diddy Kong - 50
Yoshi - 50
Wario - 50! (Kind of sad he only gets it because he is so close to the opponent)
Link - 50
Zelda - 50
Sheik - 50
Ganondorf - 50
Toon Link - 50
Samus - 50
Zero Suit Samus - 50
Pit - 50
Popo - 50
R.O.B - 50
Kirby - 50
Meta Knight - 50
King Dedede - 50
Olimar - 50
Fox - 50
Falco - 50
Wolf - 50
Captain Falcon - 50
Pikachu - 50
Squirtle - 50
Ivysaur - 50
Charizard - 50
Lucario - 50
Jigglypuff - 49 (Lucky)
Marth - 50
Ike - 50
Ness - 50
Lucas - 50
Mr. Game & Watch - 50
Snake - 50
Sonic- 50

Wow everyone but Jiggly puff has a 50 frame jump break...

Jiggly puff has 49 probably a frame went missing back in the production of the game

Analysis

The only reason there are grab releases on jump breaks is because of the Path of certain character's jump breaks....

I still need to get shield stun for my Ness buddies...

etecoon

Smash Hero
Lol at panic button mashing.
It leads to accidental pausing and a loss at a tournament.
this

it can also cause you to buffer an attack or dodge or something when the chain grabber messes up, allowing them to regrab you*has lost to IC's because of this* :/ if they're chain grabbing properly you can't mash out anyway

Orion*

Smash Researcher
holy ****ing **** does...that work? omg
thats what i was hoping
Actually, setting the D-Pad to attack is pointless.
Having just spent 20 minutes testing mash-outs, the input that seems the have the largest effect is the control stick, so rotating the control stick as quickly as possible is, as far as I can tell, the fastest single way of mashing.
I tried combining this control stick rotation with other things to see if it increased the speed of mashing out, control stick + C-stick/R+L/D-Pad as attack didn't seem to make any difference, however I was able to mash out quickest by rotation the control stick as quickly as possible whilst mashing the A/B/X/Y buttons with the 3 middle fingers on my other hand.

The D-pad on attack was the slowest method I tried of mashing out, even mashing R and L was faster.
but sadly :(

thanks for the thread bookmarked

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Except with unrestricted control editing, I'm pretty sure you can set DPad to Smash, so if a TO allows it, you could set DPad to Smash, having a much faster breakout time.
you have to get permission to set custom controls?

wtfamireading

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
so rotating the control stick as quickly as possible is, as far as I can tell, the fastest single way of mashing.
This pretty much sums what i was going to say. Control Stick rotation was the best and fastest way to escape from a Grab, IMO.
Unless setting the C-Stick to "Attack" plays a role? If so, that is completely out of my attention, and i must try that now o__o

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Isn't it like the same thing if you mash taunts of smashes with the dpad?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Stop breaking your controller and losing matches trying to mash out of the IC chaingrab. After you reach a certain percent it's impossible to get out without them screwing up. Just wait so that you can take advantage when/if they do screw up.
I hear that the noise my hands make when I press buttons on my controller is unnerving to people, which has saved me before.

As for perfect precision, the percent where it becomes impossible to break out varies from player to player, based on how many buttons can be pressed and how fast the Ice Climbers player can do each grab.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
As for perfect precision, the percent where it becomes impossible to break out varies from player to player, based on how many buttons can be pressed and how fast the Ice Climbers player can do each grab.
This.
A frame perfect cg has about 7 frames to mash out. Past 75%, (Don't quote me on this though) its impossible for a human to mash out iirc.

This is still saying that its Bthrow > Dthrow. Bthrow > Fthrow would have less frames to get out of (dont know specifically). Dthrow >Fthrow perfectly has no frames to get out.

And while on the subject of icies infinites, hobbling can easily be mashed out of before 75% and doesnt work on sloped areas whatsoever., so please stop thinking its a valid infinite people. -.-

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Kinda pointless since the cstick is much better and Dpad is in an uncomfortable position.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Better to do a Smash attack than taunt in just about any situation.
I disagree. Falcon's Dtaunt is god tier.

Kinda pointless since the cstick is much better and Dpad is in an uncomfortable position.
That's differential from person to person, and it just depends on how you feel to play.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
I've tried dpad to special to help with SHTL at times... nice on occasion.... hard to get used to.

Also, I mash buttons like crazy when i'm grabbed... no matter the character and I'm convinced that people seeing me push so many buttons just makes them more nervous.

Sharky

Smash Master
with certain characters, mashing at higher percents is pointless because it's a lot easier to CG frame perfectly.

Some characters require harder CGs or more precise spacing, and are therefore easier to mash out with.

most people don't know how to mash correctly, and it frustrates me especially when I show them and they still can't get it right.

We should make a thread in the video section to showcase button mashing skills and make a mashing tutorial lol.

edit to QFT:

I hear that the noise my hands make when I press buttons on my controller is unnerving to people, which has saved me before.

fast mashing definitely puts a lot more pressure on the IC, often forcing mistakes. I'd say this is almost equally as important as the actual mashing.

Top Bottom