• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Video and Critique Thread

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
You should've lost the first game. Heck you should've lost the set like 20 times. Your approaches were incredibly predictable and easy to punish. You basically just ran at him and fired Spheres/Fsmashed the whole set lol. I know you're better than this...

Be a lot more careful with Aura Sphere. You blew yourself up a lot... You really don't wanna fire an AS unless if it is a BAS when Snake has a Grenade in close range. If his nade clings with BAS you won't take chip damage and/or you might threaten him with his own Nade.

At like 13:03 you could've just waited for the Cypher and Uaired him instead you FSmashed...

Dthrow more. We beat Snake in the air, but lose to him on the ground.

I know it might be scary, but you might wanna try to hit/shieldpoke Snake out of a shield with DAir more especially at high %s when his shield HP isn't too high. know when you die to UTilt, so that in the event you do mess up you will still have done a good number on his shield and stay alive.

Might wanna B Reverse to be able to BAir him when he's camping by the ledge (instead of charging him with FAir), since BAir will hit him out of any of his air attacks and well use it like how Peach uses her FAir.

Wayyyy too much FSmash. Use Ftilt some more to shieldpoke or make Snake think twice about running at you and Mortar Sliding, etc. You hit him with how many FSmash attempts?

Unless if it is a noob Snake he will have at least 400% more control over his nades than we do. Smart Snakes use them for frame traps when we pick them up. Is it even worth it to try to pick it up?

When offstage you had soooo much free time to just charge AS even a little bit (and even perhaps use it for a B Reverse).

Be careful if he's like in your face and even if you roll away from him. Otherwise expect a boost smash punishment.

Short hop fire your Aura Spheres more if he's not nade camping. Especially if you aim for the head it'll be slightly more difficult to powershield.

Even empty shorthop approaches will force Snake to usually do one of three things that will put him at some risk:

1. Nade camping, but at close range he has to watch his shield.

2. Charge in with Dash Attack/Mortar Slide, which can be bested by a quick air attack.

3. Just wait in shield, but hey that whittles down their Shield HP, right?

Careful blowing up his nades with AS. You wouldn't want to stale it especially when you're trying to kill him with it, right?

You might wanna back away some more if he starts Nade camping like how he did much of the set.

You like never pummel him even if he's like at 180%... When he's at that percent that kinda screams free move refreshment.

Edit: Some people may recommend landing into a FP grab, but I hate attempting to use FP on Snake because if he evades it up close you're in a world of hurt.

DusK-The-Stray

Smash Ace
Ouch, but yeah, thanks, I did think I kind of shouldn't have won that set after I watched it myself beforehand.

Steam

Smash Hero
biggest thing: you didn't pressure snake's recovery or landing at all.

that's like... our side of the MU man :I

try to bait snake to AD out of cipher by just kinda chilling at a range where you can DJ aerial him. if he AD's hit him with an aerial. or just predict where he'll land and shield grab him. or jump at him and uair... there's a lot you can do and none of it is very risky with snake in the air.

Trela

Smash Lord
Alex had caught my attention for a moment with that video of Nau, and I figured that since I've got nothing else better to do right now that I may as well take a step in here and try my best to give some advice out to some of the players that need it.

Judging from this match alone and its outcome, I can safely say without a doubt that it is you who needs the advice and not your friend here. I apologize in advance if I have the wrong idea on you, as this is apparently only the third match of your set with him and is all that I can go by at the moment. I believe this video should have been better posted off in a Snake critique thread instead of here, being that you were the one that had lost this match and were also the one that made many more noticeable mistakes than him.

I'm guessing that the other recorded matches are "unlisted" on YouTube, as well, and if there is one of your friend losing and/or making a lot of noticeable mistakes, then please, don't hesitate to post it in here for us to look over. Oh, and if you would like to have my opinion on his Lucario, I'd say it's pretty good. A flashy yet defensive playstyle overall, which is certainly a combination in a Lucario player that I have yet to see. I'm actually a little bit eager to see some more gameplay of his Lucario myself now that I think about it.

You honestly did a fine job against Leon's Marth, despite losing to it 2-0. There were a couple of bad decisions on your part, though, that eventually led to your defeat, but I will be happy to point them out for you and put you in the right direction.

The very first mistake you made was when you began to challenge Marth's Fairs with your very own. Examples of this would be at 4:21, 4:26, 5:04, 5:16, 6:54, 7:27, and 8:41. The second mistake you made was when you went offstage at 4:35 in hopes of Fairing his second jump. I could already tell after watching the set that this is what you took advantage of the most out of his Marth's playstyle, which might I add is a great way to punish Marth. But, if you look back towards the first match at 9:44, he got hit by that same exact Fair at mid percent and lost his entire stock. Leon did not want this to happen again and made sure he would adapt to the situation if it were to arise again. This costed in the loss of your own stock instead of his, and that is definitely a lesson well learned. It is very dangerous to challenge Marth like that offstage, as you can see, for the risk is just not worth it....

....Or is it?

This is where I begin to question your actions. From 4:43 all the way onto 5:53, you start to make a comeback with the aura you gained from losing your first stock and eventually take the lead back. The same exact thing happens during the first match at 9:02 through 9:48, as well. It's almost as though you got hit by all of those Fairs for a purpose in mind. Leon's playstyle with Marth is very agressive, meaning that he was the one who was doing all of the approaching and making the first move on you. In my opinion, the match-up with Marth is a lot closer than most people think due to the ability our aura gives us, and that is exactly what you show to everyone in this set with Leon. The aura you received let you punish each of his approaches a lot harder than usual, and nearly every single one of them was punished in some sort of way, thus it actually gave you the upper hand against his Marth. What I would like to know is, was this all according to your game plan? I may in fact know the answer to it already, though.

I believe that the way you played this match-up was not initially the way you had planned to. The evidence I have gathered to back me up on this is a couple of things:

1. Almost every player starts to play more safe when they have a high percent of damage. An example of this from you would be at 6:25, when you are afraid to get hit by one of Marth's Fairs.
2. You tried to go for another offstage gimp at 6:40, ignoring the fact that you may possibly lose your last stock and the entire set if you misread his second jump again.
3. Your original post that asks specifically for help in the match-up.
4. The "i hate marth" comment you made below the video.

I think the best way I can describe to you what you were doing wrong against Leon is with this analogy: Bumblebees aerodynamically should not be able to fly, but because they do not know that, they continue to fly.

You see, Nives, you were actually playing the match-up correctly. You weren't afraid to take damage from anything until you had a good amount of aura, making you play a more defensive game towards Leon, which in actuality was the counter to his Marth all along. Because you didn't know this, though, you lost the set to him.

I hope I was of any use to you.

Trela

Smash Lord
Well I'm very sorry for making that assumption so quickly without thinking, Edu. Anyways, I appreciate you asking Nau to create an account here, thank you.

I also look forward to seeing how Nives plays it out this time against Leon's Marth. If Nives decides to take on this match-up with my approach on it, and if Leon continues to play the match-up like he did in that set, I wouldn't expect Leon to be winning for very long. Unless....

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The Falchion Blade.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Trela helping out his fellow Lucario with amazing critiques. Watching your vids Trela made me think of picking up Lucario. Seeing the help you Lucarios give to one another, and the fact your top players try to better you all has made me pick up Lucario. Trela too good.

_Nives_

Smash Cadet
Thanks for this amazing critique , this realy help me because actualy marth is my nightmare i always loose agains leon even on cp . And what abouts AS canceling and bside por or con ?

Nau

Smash Rookie
I'm guessing that the other recorded matches are "unlisted" on YouTube, as well, and if there is one of your friend losing and/or making a lot of noticeable mistakes, then please, don't hesitate to post it in here for us to look over. Oh, and if you would like to have my opinion on his Lucario, I'd say it's pretty good. A flashy yet defensive playstyle overall, which is certainly a combination in a Lucario player that I have yet to see. I'm actually a little bit eager to see some more gameplay of his Lucario myself now that I think about it.
I'm glad you like my Lucario. I don't have more videos at the moment, but i expect to be uploading some sets soon, and i hope you can tell me my mistakes and what to improve.

Trela

Smash Lord
Thanks for this amazing critique , this realy help me because actualy marth is my nightmare i always loose agains leon even on cp . And what abouts AS canceling and bside por or con ?
Well I'm glad you liked what I had to offer.

Anyways, I wouldn't say Aura Sphere Canceling along with B-Reversing isn't entirely useless in the Marth match-up, but Marth's reaction to getting hit by one of our moves is very quick, meaning that before you are even given enough time to iniciate the B-Reverse, you will be punished by one of his aerial attacks. You see, when we B-Reverse, we are doing it for one of the following reasons:

1. To bait a reaction out of the opponent in order to punish them.
2. To mix-up our approaching game and keep the opponent guessing.
3. To mix-up our landings so we can avoid being juggled.

I could use some examples for each reasoning, but I think I've explained them well enough for you to understand. Moving back to why the use of B-Reversing isn't recommended, Marth is a character that can punish us really fast out of his shield, sort of like Peach does in a way. Leon will react to these baits and mix-ups and either punish them accordingly or simply put you in a bad situation. The only time I believe B-Reversing should be used against Marth is when you are trying to land and avoid being juggled again, just like reason #3 states.

Now to answer your question, Nives, it is more of a con than a pro in this match-up. You should focus on using your Aura Spheres only when Marth is in the air.

I'm glad you like my Lucario. I don't have more videos at the moment, but i expect to be uploading some sets soon, and i hope you can tell me my mistakes and what to improve.
Thank you, and I will do just that when the time comes.

BlinkIV

Avenger
What's up everyone? I'm pretty much a "New player" hanging out with the Fort Worth crew. Here's a few matches from a tournament Jiveturkey hosted a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpofQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41MtY...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY3Ff...eature=related

This was an actual tourney match (Round Robin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se6R2UBXVyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDI91...eature=related

I'd love to hear from you guys on what I can work on.

Nau

Smash Rookie
Long time since i posted my first videos!
I spent the weekend in a tournament and i have some fresh replays. Let's see what you guys think about them.
Friendlies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3EJtwqU-g&feature=g-all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjFCe6yNN8&feature=channel_video_title
Remember those matches are just friendlies. Neither me nor the other players played at 100%. I'll be posting the brackets matches whenever they are uploaded. My lucario got destroyed by that peach and i had to use falco lol, i need some help with the MU.
Thank you!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
What's up everyone? I'm pretty much a "New player" hanging out with the Fort Worth crew. Here's a few matches from a tournament Jiveturkey hosted a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpofQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41MtY...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY3Ff...eature=related

This was an actual tourney match (Round Robin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se6R2UBXVyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDI91...eature=related

I'd love to hear from you guys on what I can work on.
Half of these vids are broken links :\

Long time since i posted my first videos!
I spent the weekend in a tournament and i have some fresh replays. Let's see what you guys think about them.
Friendlies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3EJtwqU-g&feature=g-all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjFCe6yNN8&feature=channel_video_title
Remember those matches are just friendlies. Neither me nor the other players played at 100%. I'll be posting the brackets matches whenever they are uploaded. My lucario got destroyed by that peach and i had to use falco lol, i need some help with the MU.
Thank you!
The Peach you did pretty well against, I would probably mix it up a little more, doing retreating spacing all the time is asking to get trapped. Mix up your ledge game too, it's hard to do against peach, but it means getting fair/bair'd less and going back offstage which is bad for lucario against her. Try timing your ledge grab so you still have invincibility if she's recovering from below, you can sometimes ledgehop -> rising nair her out of upB if you have the timing (watch trela v. Illumatic/Praxis to see what I mean). Try using a little more jab and don't be afraid to go inside her spacing as long as you're careful around her shield, you don't want to become predictable and getting read.

ZSS though, I feel that you should've pressed some aggression a little more (and stayed grounded a little more often). If you do retreating ASC for spacing, it's going to make you more susceptible to ZSS' sideB, try to interrupt it w/ AS/DA/jab more, or even just rolling into it (the timing's strict, and it's counter-intuitive, but the rewards you can get for using roll properly in this MU is pretty good as long as you watch out for bair lol). You often got grabbed because you weren't reacting fast enough, you could use that conditioning very much to your advantage, just one spotdodge, and you can get a free punish for him trying to dash grab you.

Once again, stick more on the ground against ZSS. Her hardest thing to deal with is shield, and conversely she can't use her shield as effectively, so feel free to put a couple more jab games in and whatnot. Also, when edgeguarding ZSS, try taking the ledge first, it really helps cover a lot of options against her (she can still recovery fairly well, but with use of ledge drop -> dair/rising nair or ledgejump -> uair for when she does a flip, you'll get a lot of good reads off of her.

AS is your de facto punisher for sideB (usually before it comes out since it has such a long windup before the hitbox actually comes out), as well as catching her landing w/o an air dodge (and even then, big AS will hit her sometimes when dodging too), both of which you noticed and used to your advantage pretty well. This MU imo is really fun when you learn more of how to play v. ZSS (I've been playing this MU a looooooot recently, which has helped). Only get to the air if you think you can bait her into punishing you, or if you're juggling her (because aside from flip kick which can be predicted if you're aware, she's actually deceptively vulnerable underneath).

Nau

Smash Rookie
Thank you a lot for the advices! I agree with you in most of the things you said. I have to stop retreating that much against peach because i might get trapped. I know how to do a rising nair out of the ledge, but i think that depending on his position i might do dair. Also, I have to make more pressure on ZSS, but those where my first matches against her and i played having no idea about the MU. I will start ledgehoping when zss tries to recover, that's a great idea.
Anyway, I think i won't roll behind her because I might get punished. I don't like doing risky things, I'd rather prefer playing as safe as possible.
Thank you again! I've been told that the tournament matches will be uploaded between tomorrow and saturday, so you may see me over here again xD. Hope you get to see them also cuz I think I played a bit better than in friendlies.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Not exactly rolling behind her per se, but if you've seen like what people in Florida do against Nick Riddle when ZSS uses her sideB, they time their roll so they get inside her vulnerable zone, without getting hit by the whip or getting pushed back by shield.

Yeah, rolling behind her can be risky, since that can easily set you up to being killed by bair <_<

Nau

Smash Rookie
Here are some of the tournament matches I promised:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yI6ji1LbHk&feature=channel_video_title
I wouldn't recommend watching the 1st match, because we were both learning the MU as I hadn't played to a diddy kong for half a year or so. And the 4th match i played it with falco so you don't have to watch it xD (though my falco is the sexiest thing in earth lol). Also we were playing with japanese ruleset, so don't ask why I didn't ban final destination.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p9lt1uKG9M&feature=channel_video_title
I only played with lucario the first match, because i got pwned. I need some help with the MU; I already read what phi1ny3 told me to improve when he watched the friendlies, but if someone sees something else I have to change in my game, I'd be glad if you told me.
Thank you and sorry for wasting your time once again. I won't post anymore videos until some months have passed so you don't get bored of me xD.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hey I would like to know ways I could improve while playing this certin person.
It was a Lucario vs Kirby and this person has a "odd" kirby So I was wondering if I can get the does and don'ts becuase we will most likley have anothey hype match and I wanna come back and win this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMhiYEwHw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_FAbBvnY5Q&feature=related

Mind you have gotten alot better since them battle but like I said before I will be really greatful if somone can tell me what I did right and wrong.

Thank you :)

EDIT: Sorry about the sound its bad and plese don't say not to always charge my aura's sphere becuase I always will want it at full power ( I like to play mind games when I can)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Here are some of the tournament matches I promised:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yI6ji1LbHk&feature=channel_video_title
I wouldn't recommend watching the 1st match, because we were both learning the MU as I hadn't played to a diddy kong for half a year or so. And the 4th match i played it with falco so you don't have to watch it xD (though my falco is the sexiest thing in earth lol). Also we were playing with japanese ruleset, so don't ask why I didn't ban final destination.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p9lt1uKG9M&feature=channel_video_title
I only played with lucario the first match, because i got pwned. I need some help with the MU; I already read what phi1ny3 told me to improve when he watched the friendlies, but if someone sees something else I have to change in my game, I'd be glad if you told me.
Thank you and sorry for wasting your time once again. I won't post anymore videos until some months have passed so you don't get bored of me xD.
Very solid first game v. Diddy, you played methodically and learned what not to do fairly quickly before it cost you (like commiting to bair when he's on the ground or whiffing fsmashes), and you built a really good lead, which was nice. Just remember, if you're point blank and you've hit him with a banana, you can fire AS too (but you have to be really close). You played with mostly quick, non-commiting moves, and punished all his impatient attacks.

2nd game, I felt you rushed too much into his traps, you fell for a lot of slip -> fsmash stuff. Noticed how you were doing better when you were waiting outside, and keeping bananas on your end away from him? Respect his punishes. Also, don't always throw a banana toward him when recovering, he gets and easy pickup and tool to use to edgeguard you, I usually prefer throwing it up while momentum canceling since item toss lets you recover momentum really quickly, and throwing it up offstage makes it stay out there for awhile, so he can't pluck one out a new one again so quickly.

3rd game, great use of fsmash. If you're going to use fsmash against Diddy, it's either when he's landing without a banana, or when he's on the ledge, because about 80% of the time, it will cover all his options (the only one you have to watch out for is banana throw and monkey flip, and those are avoidable if you're careful).

Last game was pretty good too. Something I would really invest some time practicing in is landing traps w/ uair (although you did a good job using spaced ftilt after to catch whatever he threw at you), and frame 1 FP (very, very good maneuver to learn against grounded characters, especially ones that sit in their shield a lot).

Now for the second vid. That's a pretty solid peach, not gonna lie. I noticed you threw out a lot of little aura spheres. That's sometimes good, but when it gets predictable, it hardly ever works. What you need to do is alternate, using fully charged ones will allow you to really scare her from doing glide-tosses and floats too freely near you (especially if you do some charge cancels to make it harder to predict). I got a bit scared when you started throwing out fsmashes, use those sparingly, only when you thing she's going to do something really predictable. Use more utilt oos, that sometimes will hit her when she crosses over your shield w/ bair or nair. Lastly, if you time it, you can do a ledgehop nair with invincibility frames still from your ledgegrab to edgeguard peach's upB, Trela uses it really well against a Peach at Genesis 2.

I would recommend using some SH retreating nairs to throw into your game. It's deceptively very safe, and can help you get some breathing room, especially when done oos.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Hey I would like to know ways I could improve while playing this certin person.
It was a Lucario vs Kirby and this person has a "odd" kirby So I was wondering if I can get the does and don'ts becuase we will most likley have anothey hype match and I wanna come back and win this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMhiYEwHw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_FAbBvnY5Q&feature=related

Mind you have gotten alot better since them battle but like I said before I will be really greatful if somone can tell me what I did right and wrong.

Thank you :)

EDIT: Sorry about the sound its bad and plese don't say not to always charge my aura's sphere becuase I always will want it at full power ( I like to play mind games when I can)

I saw a lot of problems. Many were match-up problems.

1. You first problem is likely your mindset toward the game. IMO but you lost a bit of credibility with your edit. Aura shpere is just a toll. If you want to mind game people would great lot of variation in your game and use BAS as a tool.

How to fix: Read articles like this and just continue to play the game. This game will get frustrating and no one is guaranteed success. A lot of this game is mental though and training your mind is what a lot of top level players recommend. I find most of my improvement these days with Lucario through my attitude toward the game.

2. You roll too much. This is criticism every lucario I know has gotten at some point in time. First lets get it through out minds that rolling is not bad. That doesn't mean it is good. Rolling is simply an option. You wouldn't use the momentum from a aura shpere shot as your main method of travel would you? You are using rolling as your main method of traveling which is a problem in the context of you played this match-up. There are couple of reasons why rolling is looked down upon. The first reason is that you go a set amount of distance. Meaning that if you roll you opponent will know exactly where you go. The second problem with rolling is that your not invincible the entire time. Meaning that after you opponent knows where you are going they can punish it if there timing is correct.

How to fix this: I personally had to just turn all shield buttons off my controller for 2 days. Then I just played on wifi and with a friend I had over that day. I lost almost every day, but in the end I was more aware of other options I had to travel and avoid getting attacked. I know a top level player who talks out loud when he is trying to get rid of or develop a habit.

3. Passive Aggressiveness- Your air game was O.k. You really need to use more retreating aerials on kirby. Kirby bair is his main move so you should expect that to come most of the time. Move of the time you approached with full out fairs. Sitting in the the middle of the stage and reacting to what kirby does is often beneficial in this matchup. Just experiment. I don't think I should say much more without playing you myself.

Some smaller stuff
4. You overrate double team. There is very little purpose for any lucario using that move. After watching a trela match vs. a marth player it seems to be a semi decent mixup to DT a predictable Fair if you are trapped in the air. That situation really should happen while fighting kirby. As a general rule DONT USE IT. The rewards you could potentially get usually don't justify you using it in the first place.

How to fix: don't press Down+B

5. Work on the accuracy of side B. I personally wouldn't use Side B that much but it defiantly has its practical applications.

How to fix: Go in to training mode and just practice.

6. Never let kirby get AS. It makes this match up unnecessarily hard. WIth some practice this should rarely ever happen.

You have lot of work to do. I encourage you to keep playing and experimenting. I know I wrote a lot, but I feel as if it is a beneficial. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Also don't just take what I write criticize it; break it down; ask questions. For me to understand concepts in brawl I almost have to create my own understanding so I encourage you to do the same. Also try critique other lucario's videos. At first you might have a hard time finding worthy things to critique on. It will help you notice things that you should be noticing in your play style and in your opponents.

@NAU I will try to critique your stuff later.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
I saw a lot of problems. Many were match-up problems.

1. You first problem is likely your mindset toward the game. IMO but you lost a bit of credibility with your edit. Aura shpere is just a toll. If you want to mind game people would great lot of variation in your game and use BAS as a tool.

How to fix: Read articles like this and just continue to play the game. This game will get frustrating and no one is guaranteed success. A lot of this game is mental though and training your mind is what a lot of top level players recommend. I find most of my improvement these days with Lucario through my attitude toward the game.

2. You roll too much. This is criticism every lucario I know has gotten at some point in time. First lets get it through out minds that rolling is not bad. That doesn't mean it is good. Rolling is simply an option. You wouldn't use the momentum from a aura shpere shot as your main method of travel would you? You are using rolling as your main method of traveling which is a problem in the context of you played this match-up. There are couple of reasons why rolling is looked down upon. The first reason is that you go a set amount of distance. Meaning that if you roll you opponent will know exactly where you go. The second problem with rolling is that your not invincible the entire time. Meaning that after you opponent knows where you are going they can punish it if there timing is correct.

How to fix this: I personally had to just turn all shield buttons off my controller for 2 days. Then I just played on wifi and with a friend I had over that day. I lost almost every day, but in the end I was more aware of other options I had to travel and avoid getting attacked. I know a top level player who talks out loud when he is trying to get rid of or develop a habit.

3. Passive Aggressiveness- Your air game was O.k. You really need to use more retreating aerials on kirby. Kirby bair is his main move so you should expect that to come most of the time. Move of the time you approached with full out fairs. Sitting in the the middle of the stage and reacting to what kirby does is often beneficial in this matchup. Just experiment. I don't think I should say much more without playing you myself.

Some smaller stuff
4. You overrate double team. There is very little purpose for any lucario using that move. After watching a trela match vs. a marth player it seems to be a semi decent mixup to DT a predictable Fair if you are trapped in the air. That situation really should happen while fighting kirby. As a general rule DONT USE IT. The rewards you could potentially get usually don't justify you using it in the first place.

How to fix: don't press Down+B

5. Work on the accuracy of side B. I personally wouldn't use Side B that much but it defiantly has its practical applications.

How to fix: Go in to training mode and just practice.

6. Never let kirby get AS. It makes this match up unnecessarily hard. WIth some practice this should rarely ever happen.

You have lot of work to do. I encourage you to keep playing and experimenting. I know I wrote a lot, but I feel as if it is a beneficial. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Also don't just take what I write criticize it; break it down; ask questions. For me to understand concepts in brawl I almost have to create my own understanding so I encourage you to do the same. Also try critique other lucario's videos. At first you might have a hard time finding worthy things to critique on. It will help you notice things that you should be noticing in your play style and in your opponents.

@NAU I will try to critique your stuff later.
Thanks there I shall try them methods. Im still learning 2 use Lucario so when I feel I got better I'll post another vid :)

Nau

Smash Rookie
Very solid first game v. Diddy, you played methodically and learned what not to do fairly quickly before it cost you (like commiting to bair when he's on the ground or whiffing fsmashes), and you built a really good lead, which was nice. Just remember, if you're point blank and you've hit him with a banana, you can fire AS too (but you have to be really close). You played with mostly quick, non-commiting moves, and punished all his impatient attacks.

2nd game, I felt you rushed too much into his traps, you fell for a lot of slip -> fsmash stuff. Noticed how you were doing better when you were waiting outside, and keeping bananas on your end away from him? Respect his punishes. Also, don't always throw a banana toward him when recovering, he gets and easy pickup and tool to use to edgeguard you, I usually prefer throwing it up while momentum canceling since item toss lets you recover momentum really quickly, and throwing it up offstage makes it stay out there for awhile, so he can't pluck one out a new one again so quickly.

3rd game, great use of fsmash. If you're going to use fsmash against Diddy, it's either when he's landing without a banana, or when he's on the ledge, because about 80% of the time, it will cover all his options (the only one you have to watch out for is banana throw and monkey flip, and those are avoidable if you're careful).

Last game was pretty good too. Something I would really invest some time practicing in is landing traps w/ uair (although you did a good job using spaced ftilt after to catch whatever he threw at you), and frame 1 FP (very, very good maneuver to learn against grounded characters, especially ones that sit in their shield a lot).

Now for the second vid. That's a pretty solid peach, not gonna lie. I noticed you threw out a lot of little aura spheres. That's sometimes good, but when it gets predictable, it hardly ever works. What you need to do is alternate, using fully charged ones will allow you to really scare her from doing glide-tosses and floats too freely near you (especially if you do some charge cancels to make it harder to predict). I got a bit scared when you started throwing out fsmashes, use those sparingly, only when you thing she's going to do something really predictable. Use more utilt oos, that sometimes will hit her when she crosses over your shield w/ bair or nair. Lastly, if you time it, you can do a ledgehop nair with invincibility frames still from your ledgegrab to edgeguard peach's upB, Trela uses it really well against a Peach at Genesis 2.

I would recommend using some SH retreating nairs to throw into your game. It's deceptively very safe, and can help you get some breathing room, especially when done oos.
Thanks, I will try to use all that. I had already started doing retreating nairs in full hop this month, but only in stages with platforms. I know I can glide toss to AS but I don't know why I didn't do it (maybe I just need some practice on that, getting used to it).
What do you mean by landing traps with uair? I uair when he is high enough that if he airdodges I dair him. If you mean uairing just when he hits the floor, that's kinda weird as I could also space fsmash or ftilt or many other options I suppose.
The item toss to momentum cancel will be very helpful, but just as the glide toss to aura sphere thing i have to get used to it (I don't usually play vs characters who use items like diddy, rob or zss), though I think that the next time I face a diddy kong player I'll be pulling that out easily (we'll see lol).
Also, I can't find any safe occasion to do the frame 1 FP as they could dodge it. Even if I fair to FP, he can just bair OoS I suppose. If he can't bair OoS and the FP lag hits him in the end of his dodge, then I'm just saying stupid things and I will have to try it (I'd rather play the safest possible, I tend to play the safest I can xD)
About the peach MU info you gave me, I think it will be soooo helpful. No doubt I will improve a lot vs peach just using those suggestions, it's like you enlightened my mind or something xD. Hadn't thought about anything you said (but the upB edgeguarding with nair that you had already told me). Fully charged AS is the key to success. Once again, thank you.
I've got my first national tournament in 2 months or so, I'll be looking on the boards for some lucario MU guides though I don't like some of them. I wish I can upload something before so I got told again what to improve.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Thanks, I will try to use all that. I had already started doing retreating nairs in full hop this month, but only in stages with platforms. I know I can glide toss to AS but I don't know why I didn't do it (maybe I just need some practice on that, getting used to it).
What do you mean by landing traps with uair? I uair when he is high enough that if he airdodges I dair him. If you mean uairing just when he hits the floor, that's kinda weird as I could also space fsmash or ftilt or many other options I suppose.
The item toss to momentum cancel will be very helpful, but just as the glide toss to aura sphere thing i have to get used to it (I don't usually play vs characters who use items like diddy, rob or zss), though I think that the next time I face a diddy kong player I'll be pulling that out easily (we'll see lol).
Also, I can't find any safe occasion to do the frame 1 FP as they could dodge it. Even if I fair to FP, he can just bair OoS I suppose. If he can't bair OoS and the FP lag hits him in the end of his dodge, then I'm just saying stupid things and I will have to try it (I'd rather play the safest possible, I tend to play the safest I can xD)
About the peach MU info you gave me, I think it will be soooo helpful. No doubt I will improve a lot vs peach just using those suggestions, it's like you enlightened my mind or something xD. Hadn't thought about anything you said (but the upB edgeguarding with nair that you had already told me). Fully charged AS is the key to success. Once again, thank you.
I've got my first national tournament in 2 months or so, I'll be looking on the boards for some lucario MU guides though I don't like some of them. I wish I can upload something before so I got told again what to improve.
No problem, glad to have helped.

On the uair thing, I personally like it because if you are good with doing this, you get the ability to do some serious "double threat" kill traps. With merely spacing fsmash or ground options, you allow your opponent to try a couple more options, although most of them are still covered very well. However, if you can time your uair, you can not only try for a kill from the uair directly, but since they're forced to dodge, you know you can hit them without having to worry about b-reversals, random aerial mixups, etc. It's harder, but from this position, you can also use fsmash or AS when you come down while they're dodging, and this can often net you the kill. Just something to keep in mind, nothing wrong with the former, but it's a mixup that imo is worth working into your juggle game.

For FP to work, it's dependent on how well you can perform it, and how well you can condition the opponent to set it up for you. Most Diddies like to wait until something hits their shield, then punish with a banana or fair. If you can make sure they stay this way by doing spaced dairs (the ones where you can still air dodge or nair after it coming down), falling nairs, and other crossups, you can make them wary of throwing out aerials, things like fair -> AD across their shield or b-reversal -> fsmash will often make a Diddy be less bold about using their aerials (except fair, such a good move for Diddy). Junebug is really good at making this happen, he plays a lot of Diddys, snakes, and Olimars, and all of these characters love to punish stuff out of shield with their ground options. It's all about getting that read, if you can get this to work, you can make yourself capable of killing someone while they're shielding, a very useful ability that is somewhat rare among characters.

and yes, AS is very important. ASC's ability to allow AS shots to be more unpredictable has made FCAS much more viable (and it allows you to find more opportunities to charge it safely). BAS is good for disruption, but only if the opponent insists on trying their "Plan A", which in Peach's case is usually float spacing. If they catch on, it's time to change up the strat, and take advantage of their initial choice (like starting to put out a good air game to control the air, or spacing on the ground traditionally, since both of these are easier with float gone).

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Pretty solid stuff. I really liked his use of nair when he did use it. Also I like to see the return of the cario chain grab. It isn't used too much anymore.

Browny

Smash Hater

D. Disciple

Smash Master
OMG how many times have that been mention to shoot it at their feet or at their head for shield stab. I have vids of me doing it to MKs, or even mentioning it in doubles when one perfect shields or shields it and it crawls that it will stab the next person's feet.

Top Bottom