• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stickman's Sound Replacement Guide

stickman

Smash Apprentice
As posted on KC:MM, sorry it isn't typed out for you on the forum.
Download Here!

Yes, it's finally here. You get to witness the epic guide that will lead you into becoming a sound effect hacker, something we need more of these days. All major credits have been addressed on the last page of the guide. I hope you find it valuable and easy to use. Click on the picture to download!

Credit to Zephron for the ridiculously amazing cover art!

-your friendly neighborhood stickman

PS- stickman is now taking sfx requests, but you need to follow a few rules in order for him to help.

[to the mods, if you want this merged with VILE's thread, that is fine. i figured that this guide would need different support than the other one, and i don't support questions that rise from that one. thanks -stickman]

Tylerelyt

Smash Apprentice
When I try to follow this, I get to the point(like 3 steps in >.<) where I find the sound I want to replace. But whenever I click a sound in any wave folder I get an error in SmashBox:

Value does not fall within the expected range.

If I click continue, it goes back to Smashbox, but it doesn't give me the thing to play the sound. I also can't right click the sound at all. If I click another sound, it gives me the error message again and the same thing happens.

I have messed around with sound effects using vile's guide a couple times, so I sort of know what I'm doing.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
You have a 64 bit PC, don't you? A lot of people have had problems with Smashbox in 64 bit PC's.
Unfortunately I don't know how to fix that, other than running a virtual machine or having a friend let you use his computer

Tylerelyt

Smash Apprentice
Awesome. I swear, the universe hates me and sound effects. >.<

I'll try and use a virtual machine, and if that doesn't work I'll start up my dinosaur and use that. Thanks.

Edit: I did get a virtual machine (virtualbox) working. Glad I had that XP iso lying around, lol.

Tylerelyt

Smash Apprentice
@Michi:
1) DL and install(Obviously). Start it up.
2) If there isn't an automatic pop up, click the blue "new" button at the top of the window
3) Follow the wizard. Make sure you have a .iso for an operating system, and it has to be 32-bit. My XP install was automatically 32-bit, so you can run with that or anything lower for sure.
4) On the third screen, select create new hard disk. You'll run through another wizard. Just follow that, it's pretty straight forward.
5) Start up your virtual OS by right clicking it.

If you don't have an .iso, I have the torrent for what I used lying around somewhere.

Really, I just dropped by to say that I finished a voice pack. Excellent guide Stickman, very well written.

Tylerelyt

Smash Apprentice
VirtualBox runs alongside your current OS. You don't uninstall your 64-bit at all. In fact, it runs your normal 64-bit system and the 32-bit at the same time.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for a big bump, but I have a problem with this.
I did everything noted in the guide (but, replaced a different wave). When I try to replace it with one sound, it comes out garbled in SmashBox (didn't test it on hardware). When I try to replace it with another one, plays perfect in the program, but freezes on real console (and I'm using a correct smashbros_sound.brsar). Both of the sounds have correct size. What causes this? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been solved already.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
usually that means that the fix is wrong. try starting with a fresh brsar and trying to replace the sound again (the fix is in the middle of some sensitive info, and if you are off by even one block, it can mess it up)

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your help.
Now it all runs on real console. However, some effects have noise in BrawlBox AND on hardware. The last clip I tried to apply sounded better without fix from spt file than with fix. How can I make ALL waves sound good? Is it possible, or that's the way it's meant to be?

stickman

Smash Apprentice
That's very odd... the sound is supposed to sound better WITH the fix. Just use whatever sounds best, since that is what you will hear in the game. 99.999% of the time thought, you will want to have the fix to make it sound the best.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Thank you.
However, I thought it would be better to show you the way I apply fix.
- Find WAVE.
- From beginning of WAVE, skip 12 bytes + 4 * Wave number (0 if it's called Wave0 etc)
- Read the address, go back to Wave and from that place go to the address you just read.
- Skip 60 bytes.
- Apply 32 bytes from spt file (bytes 32-63 from spt to copy).

stickman

Smash Apprentice
yup that's correct. i just dont convert back into decimal in the guide just to prevent more math errors. I'm glad you are starting a program for it. the sounds are basically brtsms without headers, but i still have no idea how to generate the fix data. that's the only piece missing. if you need more info about the file, just let me know and i can clarify to the best of my ability

Pheonix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrostboltPhoenix
I have the file that has all of the japanese voices and sound effects, is there anyway i can keep an English voice (For example Snake?)

stickman

Smash Apprentice
You'd have to replace the Japanese voice with the English one using this method. Sorry there's no easier way than that.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I got a little problem with one part :

I am at the part where you have to open the Brsar, the sound.spd and the sound.spt in HxD.

When I look at the sound.spd file, it looks like this :

It looks like I made an error when I did this... Is there any tips you can give me ?

stickman

Smash Apprentice
Do you have all the tools and dlls in the same folder that you are using? Your folder should have everything from the tools pack in it. Otherwise, what os do you use?

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
The only wav files I have are the samples and the sound one, and the only file that has a filesize of zero is the sound.spd itself.

Top Bottom