• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
great work auro, great work.
its obviously still very innacurat,e but hopefully with will mean more stuff wil happen and help create a good amount of tournaments in the uk!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wow dude that must've taken some time, gj.

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
actually do what andy said lol

ill work my way up through the ranks with falcon

I'M A NEW PLAYER

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
whoever let auro take control in making the UK PR is dumb when he never comes tourneys and isn't online much lol

Aura was the one who made the system off of his own free will. Insulting people will not get an update any quicker and simply speaking to him about the matter would be far more effective. Now wait until it's updated.

I said wait until it was updated, if Aura has stated that it will be updated, then it will. If not, then find somebody else to do it. Do not make meaningless posts here.

@Calz, nou. You've been posting in this thread and an update hasn't come. Instead of +1ing your post count, get pressure on Aura to update this thread on MSN, somewhere were he is daily, rather then Smashboards where he hardly ever is.

Oh boys, check this out.

Didn't attend the last monthly, have quit brawl, and I move up a spot xD!!!!!!!.

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
attend monthly, fall down 6 spots looool

all falcon now, that falco icon should be removed after next tourney (whenever it is) =]

auroreon

Smash Ace
The tourney was only 11 days ago. It was last updated just over 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't say I am slow to update.
Oh and because I haven't finished programming a tool to do the updates automatically for me, I have to do them manually in Excel, and its far from the simplicity of most PRs so it takes more work.

The system isn't bad. Your region is bad.

Most people are asking me how the results work out like this, and how 'so-and-so' gained so many points, basically saying that it doesn't make sense. Well, there are two reasons for this.
1. The system is designed to be very dynamic. Rather than simply let players stock up a bunch of points from previous tourneys, it tries to track where a player is currently. So individual tournaments often do have a much greater effect on points than they would under a more traditional (and imo less accurate) system.
2. Despite this, I will admit that individual tourneys do have a bit too much of an effect, this is because of how infrequent the tourneys in the UK are. Before this one, the last tourney was in June. Player's ability can change a lot in the time between June and September, the system is designed to that that into account.
I am currently in the process of tweaking some bits of the formula which will make it more relevant to the UK and more accurate in general. So when I am done, the points will change to better reflect individual skill.

If you are wondering why certain players are placed where they are... try actually reading some of it. Because of the way it works, things that wouldn't usually happen in a PR system are able to happen, such as KJ moving up a spot without even attending. This kind of thing is supposed to happen, its what makes the system more dynamic and accurate.
Also, don't just look at points... you see that number there called Accuracy Value? That represents (prepare yourself for this one...) how accurate your ranking is! So if a player has a lower accuracy value, their points are potentially less accurate to their actual skill. Also, if a player seems to have gained or lost a lot of points in one tournament, it was probably because they had a low accuracy value.

I am also going to be adding the ability to do MM's for points soon.

Oh, and sorry for not actually attending the tournament myself, I am extremely disappointed to have not been able to go.

@ Willz: If you are serious about going all Falcon, I'll take Falco off next tourney. Awesome that you are going all Falcon man, I hope you do well with him. =)

EDIT: Oh and I'm not adding tiers. Sorry, but I can't see that they add anything of value.
But if anyone thinks they have a valid argument against that, and are willing to present it to me is a logical way, post it and I will be more than happy to re-think my position. Afterall, I want tom improve this PR, so if there is something I can do to improve it then I will.

The tourney was only 11 days ago. It was last updated just over 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't say I am slow to update.
You were incredibly slow to update it, especially for such a small community.

Oh and because I haven't finished programming a tool to do the updates automatically for me, I have to do them manually in Excel, and its far from the simplicity of most PRs so it takes more work.
Fair enough.

The system isn't bad. Your region is bad.
When you actually have the skill level to judge good players from the bad, I'll listen to these claims.

Most people are asking me how the results work out like this, and how 'so-and-so' gained so many points, basically saying that it doesn't make sense. Well, there are two reasons for this.
1. The system is designed to be very dynamic. Rather than simply let players stock up a bunch of points from previous tourneys, it tries to track where a player is currently. So individual tournaments often do have a much greater effect on points than they would under a more traditional (and imo less accurate) system.
Individual tournaments? You're system goes against the very thing that you said wouldn't effect it, to quote you in your original post:

# Not allow 'having a bad day' or 'getting lucky in brackets' to drastically effect a players position.
Now note this, because I'll be coming back to this later on.

2. Despite this, I will admit that individual tourneys do have a bit too much of an effect, this is because of how infrequent the tourneys in the UK are. Before this one, the last tourney was in June. Player's ability can change a lot in the time between June and September, the system is designed to that that into account.
I am currently in the process of tweaking some bits of the formula which will make it more relevant to the UK and more accurate in general. So when I am done, the points will change to better reflect individual skill.
They would have the exact same effect regardless of frequency. It's the same tournament, the same players and the same characters, it's just being played at different rates. At some point or another, the exact values you have up there will be IDENTICAL to the ones at that point in time.

If you are wondering why certain players are placed where they are... try actually reading some of it. Because of the way it works, things that wouldn't usually happen in a PR system are able to happen, such as KJ moving up a spot without even attending. This kind of thing is supposed to happen, its what makes the system more dynamic and accurate.
Also, don't just look at points... you see that number there called Accuracy Value? That represents (prepare yourself for this one...) how accurate your ranking is! So if a player has a lower accuracy value, their points are potentially less accurate to their actual skill. Also, if a player seems to have gained or lost a lot of points in one tournament, it was probably because they had a low accuracy value.
Okay, now to bring up that quote from earlier:

# Not allow 'having a bad day' or 'getting lucky in brackets' to drastically effect a players position.
An example I'll give: Cong. Cong attended this tournament, and instead of his usual top 5 placing, he had a bad day, yet his accuracy value is quite high and somehow he managed to drop a ridiculous amount of positions. Now look at the bolded section of that quote I made of yours, position. Position to anybody means where they are placed within this list. Not accuracy values, but their actual placement on this list. The same goes for Cloud (no offense), but he got an easier bracket then most of the people at this tournament, and yet his position skyrockets, once again, with a good accuracy rating, so you're now saying that because of a single good placement despite getting 9th at GT2, Cloud deserves a placement of 6th on this list? That makes absolutely no sense.

I am also going to be adding the ability to do MM's for points soon.
Preferably under a more accurate system then this.

Oh, and sorry for not actually attending the tournament myself, I am extremely disappointed to have not been able to go.
Yet you still call this region bad when you're doing literally nothing to help it.

And thats my twocents on you're post my good sir.

Edit: Also, as previously requested, please remove me from that list.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Ok lemme rephrase that, this sytem is bad for the UK.

I say this because Kasper gained more points than Calzorz for placing lower than him, i didnt gain a single point from coming 3rd. Shlurp came onto the rankings as 5th straight away; this is because he was new to the list, started with 100 points (already making himself above more than 2x of the players just by being on the list), and then gained a **** load for coming 5th.

I could continue with reasons about how bad this is for us. But it was a good idea obviously, props for creation.

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
@ Willz: If you are serious about going all Falcon, I'll take Falco off next tourney. Awesome that you are going all Falcon man, I hope you do well with him. =)
yes i'm very serious lol

i've proved everything i can with falco/mk/snake/all the other characters i've mained or counterpicked (proven, being that i will never get 1st place in a tourney loooooooool... unless it's expo LOL)

so why not just go all falcon and have fun playing the game :)

auroreon

Smash Ace
You were incredibly slow to update it, especially for such a small community.
IF you think 11 days is slow, then fine. Updates would be quicker in future.

When you actually have the skill level to judge good players from the bad, I'll listen to these claims.
Because skill is what is required for judgement? I see. Also, you have completely mistaken my meaning, I wasn't commenting on the skill of players in the UK, I was referring to how active the UK is.

Individual tournaments? You're system goes against the very thing that you said wouldn't effect it, to quote you in your original post:
An example I'll give: Cong. Cong attended this tournament, and instead of his usual top 5 placing, he had a bad day, yet his accuracy value is quite high and somehow he managed to drop a ridiculous amount of positions. Now look at the bolded section of that quote I made of yours, position. Position to anybody means where they are placed within this list. Not accuracy values, but their actual placement on this list. The same goes for Cloud (no offense), but he got an easier bracket then most of the people at this tournament, and yet his position skyrockets, once again, with a good accuracy rating, so you're now saying that because of a single good placement despite getting 9th at GT2, Cloud deserves a placement of 6th on this list? That makes absolutely no sense.
You assume that those players have a high accuracy value. They don't, no one in the UK does. I realise after this update that the current way it is set-up isn't working for the UK, and I said I was tweaking it.

Edit: Also, as previously requested, please remove me from that list.
As I have said before, it doesn't work unless every player is on it. But don't worry, everyone shall be removed. I am taking it down, its clearly not serving any purpose.
Also, I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I am quitting competitive smash, actually that's not really true because I still very much enjoy the game and will continue to play it competitively, but I won't be coming to many (if any) tournaments from this point onwards.
I just want to clarify that I am not quitting because of this rankings thread, infact the fact that I had to clarify that because others people would assume this is why I am quitting, demonstrates one of the main reasons for me quitting.
However, if I am ever in a position where I am able to host, I will do so as frequently as I can.

You can use Anaky's PR thread for rankings as a replacement for mine, I think it gives a VERY accurate representation of the UK scene.

@ Willz: I'm glad you think that way about it, I completely agree.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Hmm i know this isnt why ur quitting auro, but that sucks cuz it was SICK having you round mine, maybe just meet up at mini smashfests.

But as most of us know, I THINK, this system is very good, and if there were more tournies hosted, it would be extreamly succesful and accurate.

Unfortunatly this is not the case in the UK, so its jsut not gonna work with so few tournies, i think you already know this.

Anyway im gonna work on my PR abit later, bcuz theres a certain flaw in it, i know what i need to do to get it accurate so mine should be aight.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Yea, I'll come to smashfests whenever I have the cash for it cos it was fun at yours last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom