• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame data for Sliding Up-smash and other random things

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Frames to initiate Sliding Upsmash out Mario's dash
17-18
28-29
39-40

A note is that after these exact frames of Mario’s Dash, I would input Up on the next frame, then Up+A to do an Up-smash. Basically if I chose to do a sliding Up-smash at frame 18 of Mario’s Dash, I would be inputting Up on the 19th frame, and then Up+A on the 20th. Unfortunately debug pause does not allow use of the C stick, but I believe this is minor and of little to no effect other than taking 1 frame longer to initiate the Up-smash.

Pattern is pretty simple. After the first initial 6 frames of dashing (any time within that window you can F-smash or dashdance), it takes 11 frames for Mario to take a step into the point where his horizontal velocity is the highest (which lasts for 2 frames), at which point Mario’s foot is touching the ground and he’s pushing against the floor. A sliding Up-smash initiated starting from the leftmost side of Final Destination on the frame 17-18 window pretty much exactly reaches the inner “arrow” that is pointing left.

Basically starting at frame 17, you have 2 frame windows every 11 frames to get an optimal sliding distance. I personally find it very difficult to observe between these 11 frame steps consistently enough to pull a Sliding U-smash at any point in Mario’s run, but the one thing that remains consistent is that the 2 frame windows always occur as Mario’s foot is pushing against the ground. Either foot is fine and can get the same results.

Other random information is that you don’t lose a frame to turn around when doing a reverse F-smash. A perfect reverse F-smash (initiated either by the C stick or a precise Smash sideways + A) comes out in 15 frames.

You have an exact 1 frame window to cancel a Smash turnaround (which results in a dash) with a D-smash. Something to consider if you want to do a turnaround D-smash.

Pit can do a similar sliding Up-smash on frames 21-24 of his dash. I feel too lazy to find how many frames it takes for him to take another similar step, but like Mario, his velocity is highest when he's pushing the floor on his step.

Coming soon: Comprehensive and precise frame advantage on Mario's Jabs

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
This is good stuff A2Z, i already know how to use the sliding up-smash & reverse up-smash as well.
I like how you broke down the frame data perfectly btw.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Good stuff A2Z, nice to know that you can do a full ranged sliding up-smash during your run.

Coming soon: Comprehensive and precise frame advantage on Mario's Jabs

YES!! YESSSS! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I actually finished Jab frame advantage all early in the morning, but I decided I would wait until I had some sleep before posting it. And the only numbers I don't have yet are aerial frame advantage (the difference between when you can act on the ground and when your opponent can act when they are popped into the air by your Jabs). I might or might not care about getting those later.

Some stuff to keep in mind:

Key:
suJab1 = sourspot Jab1
swJab1 = sweetspot Jab1
swJab2 = sweetspot Jab2 (usually accompanied by sourspot Jab1)
swJab12 = sweetspot Jab1 and Jab2

All frame advantages do not account DI. If your opponent happens to hold Up while getting Jabbed, your frame advantage is bigger, usually enough to Jab cancel D-smash every character in the game off Jab1 sweetspot.

Some characters are ridiculously hard to space sweetspot Jab1 and 2 on due to the way their hurtbox changes when being Jabbed. Sonic is a rare character who is actually hard to sweetspot Jab2 after sourspot Jab1, so hitconfirming Jab cancels off Jab2 the standard way is very tricky.

Some characters like Samus and Pit however are very easy to land Jab cancel combos on since their hurtbox bends towards you when you sweetspot Jab. If you like Jab cancel U-tilt, it works best on those two characters.

When you have a frame advantage of 10 or more, you can hit your opponent with a reverse U-smash out of Jab cancel (1 frame to turn around, 9 frames for the back hit). Kirby fails to get hit by this since his hard landing animation ducks under U-smash (as well as regular angled F-tilt and grab), so stick to D-smash on him. Jigglypuff on the other hand is weird in that landing only Jab2 on her causes her to have a normal landing animation (which doesn't squish her down), but you have a 1 frame window to U-smash her in that state.

In very rare situations, it's possible to hit opponents on the 2nd active frame of either of Mario's Jabs. I did not document the frame advantage for this in any situations except for King DDD, since the only way you can sweetspot Jab1 and 2 on him normally requires this exact situation from what I recall. But when you hit someone with the 2nd active frame of Mario's Jabs, you gain an extra frame of advantage since your Jab is essentially ending one frame earlier.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-smash is 5 frames, and if you're in range after Jab canceling, you can D-smash all characters who have +5 or more frame advantage listed. F-tilt and D-tilt reaches pretty much everyone who might fall out of range of D-smash, while U-tilt only hits a few of the characters listed who you have +5 adv on.

Jab is frame 2, but in order to Jab cancel into Jab1, you need to have a +3 frame advantage since it takes 1 frame to interrupt the Jab sequence with a crouch before you can continue on to Jab1.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Wow, i though i knew EVERYTHING about mario.
you are a mario smash researcher A2Z, good knowledge of knowing mario.

BSP

Smash Legend
I really need to work on spacing my jabs. 11+ Frame advantage? That's great.

never mind you answered it already. Guys we have some true combos, we need to abuse them.

Top Bottom