• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Know Your Options [Complete!]

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So I was talking with Raz, and he told me some advice given to him from Anuar. "List all your options in every situation you could find yourself in". I took this and while bored in my Environmental Studies class I put pen to paper, listing every possible action I could take after landing a jab.

I filled a ****ing page.

What this did was open my mind to every single path I could take. A couple of these options I didn't realize existed, a few of these I hadn't fully considered, but most of them I've never even thought about utilizing. That's different now, and hopefully through this process I gain spontaneity, several useful mixups, but most importantly: a different perspective, and glimpses into parts of the game I hadn't seen before.

My findings, translated from my notebook with added frame data.

Key: Great, Good, Okay, Bad, Terrible

After hitting with a jab from the front:

Standard Movements
Nothing The wait and see approach does not work after hitting the opponent.
Crouch Peach's crouch hides her from close to nothing.
Walk Might come in handy against some lower ranged retaliations.
Dash Faster, but it's just a get away. Options from a dash are low.
Jump Obviously accompaniment from an aerial or other makes this better, but a simple jump instantly gets you out of the way of a lot.
Float Like jump, float opens options, but keeps you in range to use shorter ranged actions, like nair.
Footstool One of my unconsidered options. Not entirely safe from several popular reactions, but a very quick getaway.
Defensive Actions
Shield The safest option all around, shield protects from everything except grab and opens a world of counter-attacks via OOS.But since it is the best option, grab is very popular. Time for mixups.
Roll Really fast invincibility, but punishable.

• Interesting note: At a +0 frame advantage after landing jab, MK can dsmash before you can follow-up with anything stronger than a jab. It catches you before grab, ftilt, dash attack, or dsmash come out, and even before you're airborne from a jump. Forward roll dodges both hits though, and places you behind MK with a +3 frame advantage!
Spotdodge Really fast, but very punishable.

• Following that note from a roll, spotdodge offers a much more appetizing opportunity. Spotdodge dodges the front hit of MK's dsmash and grants a +9 frame advantage!
Airdodge Not my personal favorite, but jumping plus airdodging doesn't even avoid dsmash - a strong, but really slow reaction.
Grabs
Grab Incredibly rewarding, and one of her faster options, but at frame 6, a tad slow.

Dash Grab Same speed as a normal grab, but with added distance.
Pivot Grab Range doesn't matter much up-close, and with slower start-up Pivot Grab offers little else.
Standard Attacks
Jab 2 Combooooooooooo
Ftilt One of her faster options, but still slowish. Great reward though.
Utilt Pretty bad. Slow start-up, hitboxes too high to hit smaller-medium sized characters.
Dtilt At 12 frames, it's speed that really kills dtilt, but its sheer range, rewarding trajectory, and virtual laglessness make it work sometimes.
Smash Attacks
Fsmash Slow, but the hitboxes on the thing cover very well, with a fantastic award.
- charged Might freak some people out, but you really want to get that swing out as fast as possible since it's pretty slow.
- stutter step While still slow, the SS moves you back to move you out of the way of a lot retaliations.
Usmash A standing usmash doesn't do much, the good hitboxes on it have pitiful range. You'll only hit with the weak hits, if even that.
- charged "Let's make our worst-ranged move even slower!!"
- hyphen The reward on this is just too blatantly good if landed, and the hyphen movement gives it enough range to actually land.
Dsmash The quintessential GTFO move - not super fast, but at six frames, not at all bad. It even ducks under a couple moves and aerials.
- charged Like Mikey Lenetia said, dsmash is the only move in the game that gets weaker if you charge it.
Aerials
Nair Not her fastest option directly from the ground (jump adds five frames), but nair is her fastest aerial and hits really hard and lasts a really long time.
- sh Takes advantage of the long duration and can be double-hit with.
- fh When not properly autocanceled, nair suffers from a lot of lag.
- gf Strong, quick, with the added benefit of canceling at any moment and horizontal chasing with float.
Fair Though slow, fair hits the hardest out of all her aerials with a gigantic autocancel window.
- sh Probably my favorite in the entire game. Jab to sh fair moves you away from the opponent while they're busy with a counter-hit (which misses), meanwhile you come back with a super strong fair hit.
- fh It'll catch some aerials, but fh fair works really well catching rolls and other tricky stuff you have to follow.
- gf Without the fast movement of jumps, gf fair is kinda unsafe up-close since it's so slow, but the shield pushback and retreat of the float work almost as well.
Bair Might be my own bias since I'm not a big bair spammer, but after landing a jab bair has less-than-average range in front of Peach... which is kinda important. You'll have to spend time after Peach has launched herself backwards to move forward and hit with the lasting hitboxes.
- sh You'll probably only hit with the weak hitbox, which has combo potential, but it's slow.
- fh I don't believe you can actually hit with this.
- gf Probably the best use for bair in such frontal confrontations is wasping out of the way to hit with something like fsmash - ala sh fair. Ground floating bair forward is slow, but workable if landed, even on shield.
Uair Uair has really bad horizontal range. Probably the worst aerial in this situation. Note: not considering the uair combo.
- sh Might catch an odd aerial or two, maybe.
- fh Actually, if you space inside the loop of Shuttle Loop, this will catch it! And similar to how bair works, uair shifts Peach's hurtbox and ends quickly - avoid an attack, then hit back during the attack's lag.
- gf Maybe works as a really crazy not-at-all-threatening mixup?
Dair Hitboxes everywherrrrrrrrreeeeeee
- sh It eats everything.
- fh It eats tall people and people who like to jump.
- gf It pokes shields foreverz.
Specials
Toad Really slow with a 10 frame startup, but interesting as a mix-up. But only as a mix-up.
- reversed Why. ...well, maybe if it's Falco and he decides to Phantasm behind you.
Peach Bomber When you can get heavily punished on reaction from being shielded, it tells you not to use this move often.
- slingshot Still slow, but the slingshot version moves you back, even if incrementally. Could be used to avoid some things maybe?
Parasol It's actually kinda speedy at frame 7, and it has some great hitboxes, but the cost of being in the air, with the slowest decent speed in the game, and having almost 40 frames of landing lag? Ewww.
Turnip Pull 29 frames of not being able to shield or attack isn't that great, but in conjunction with ATs, I think it's a very powerful mixup.
- standing Unless your opponent is conditioned into being scared of you up close, being frozen in place for almost 30 frames is a no-no.​
- free pull This is basically all I do. Free pull away, glidetoss to escape or punish!
- dash pull Basically a run, but now you have a turnip.

[COLLAPSE=Cool Frame Data]Note: Jab1 Frame Advantages
-1 adv: Diddy, Sheik, Falco, Wolf, CF,
+0 adv: Bowser, Wario, Link, Ganondorf, MK, Fox, Pikachu, Squirtle, Ike, Sonic, ZSS
+1 adv: Mario, Yoshi, IC, Charizard, Lucas, Snake, DK
+2 adv: TL, DDD, Ivysaur, Ness, GW, ROB
+3 adv: Luigi, Peach, Zelda, Samus, Lucario, Marth
+4 adv: Kirby, Olimar
+7 adv: Jigglypuff

Important note: I'm assuming it's always a combo, but I'm not sure about jab 2. So, we have this cool frame advantage stuff on jab right? Notice how we have -1 against some characters? And 0+? And 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7+ on others? Can every character that we don't have +2 advantage on SHIELD before our second jab comes out? Guys, that's bad. Jab 2 has almost 20 frames of cooldown on shield.

Note: Peach's Fast Ground Options
Jab: Start-up: 1 | Active: 2-3 (2) | Cooldown: 4-19 (16) | Duration: 19 (Frame 2)
Dash Attack: Start-up: 1-5 (5) | Active: 6-9 (4), 17-19 (3) | Cooldown: 20-37 (17) | Duration: 37 (Frame 6)
Ftilt: Start-up: 1-5 (5) | Active: 6-16 (11) | Cooldown: 17-36 (20) | Duration: 36 (Frame 6)
Dsmash: Start-up: 1-5 (5) | Active: 6-7, 11-12, 16-17, 21-22 (2) | Cooldown: 23-44 (22) | Duration: 44 (Frame 6)
Grab: Start-up: 1-5 (5) | Active: 6-7 (2) | Cooldown: 8-29 (22) | Duration: 29 (Frame 6)
Short Hop + Nair: 1-5 Jump startup | 6 airborne | Start-up: 1-2 (2) | Active: strong hit 3-6 (4), weak hit 7-23 (17) | Cooldown: 24-49 (26) | Duration: 49 (Frame 8)

Note: MK's Popular and Fast Ground Options
Dtilt: 1-2 startup/3-4 hitbox out/5-15 cooldown (Frame 3)
Ftilt: 1-2 startup/3-4 1st hit hitbox out/5/6-7 2nd hit hitbox out/8/9-10 3rd hit hitbox out/11-40 cooldown (Frame 3)
Dash Attack: 1-4 startup/5-11 hitbox out/12-31 cooldown (Frame 5)
Grab: 1-5 startup/6-7 grab hitbox out/8-29 cooldown (Frame 6)
Dsmash: 1-4 startup/5-6 hitbox out/7-9/10-11 hitbox out/12-34 cooldown (Frame 5)
Shuttle Loop: 1-7 startup/5-8 invincibility frames/8-13 strong hitbox out/14-21/22-31 weak hitbox out (Frame 5 invincible, 8 hits)
Short Hop + Nair: 1-4 jump startup/5 airborne/1-2 nair startup/3-4 strong hitbox out/5-25 weak hitbox out/26-31 aerial cooldown (Frame 7)[/COLLAPSE]

Alright, OP complete. Now, if you divide the options into categories, you gain a much clearer picture.

After landing a jab:

Spam These Options
Shield
Jab 2

Bread & Butter
Jump+
Float+
Grab
Dash Grab
Ftilt
Stutter Step Fsmash
Dsmash
SH Nair
GF Nair
SH Fair
SH Dair
FH Dair
GF Dair

Interesting Stuff
Walk
Dash
Footstool
Roll
Spotdodge
Dtilt
Fsmash
Hyphen Usmash
FH Nair
FH Fair
GF Fair
GF Bair
FH Uair
Turnip Freepull
Turnip Dashpull

Strictly Mix-ups

Airdodge
Pivot Grab
Utilt
Charged Fsmash
Usmash
SH Bair
SH Uair
GF Uair
Toad
Slingshot Peach Bomber
Parasol

OMG NEVER

Nothing
Crouch
Charged Usmash
Charged Dsmash
FH Bair
B-Reversed Toad
Peach Bomber
Turnip Pull

You can take this a step further.

After landing a jab against MK, which ones of these avoids his fastest options (dtilt & ftilt frame 3)?

Spam These Options
Shield
Jab 2

Bread & Butter
Jump+
Float+
Grab
Dash Grab
Ftilt
Stutter Step Fsmash (Possibly get far away enough?)
Dsmash
SH Nair
GF Nair
SH Fair
SH Dair
FH Dair
GF Dair

Interesting Stuff
Walk (?)
Dash (?)
Footstool
Roll
Spotdodge
Dtilt
Fsmash
Hyphen Usmash
FH Nair
FH Fair
GF Fair
GF Bair
FH Uair

Turnip Freepull (?)
Turnip Dashpull (?)

Strictly Mix-ups

Airdodge
Pivot Grab
Utilt
Charged Fsmash
Usmash
SH Bair
SH Uair
GF Uair
Toad
Slingshot Peach Bomber(?)
Parasol

OMG NEVER

Nothing
Crouch
Charged Usmash
Charged Dsmash
FH Bair
B-Reversed Toad
Peach Bomber
Turnip Pull

So... we're not looking a lot. lol

Not to say we're in a bad position, we still have the advantage with strong options in jab 2, shield, and spotdodge at the very least - if the other actions don't move us out of the way quick enough (though doubtful). We have better options if MK goes for anything stronger though.

After landing a jab against MK, which of these avoids one of his strongest options (dsmash frame 5)?

Spam These Options
Shield
Jab 2

Bread & Butter
Jump+
Float+
Grab
Dash Grab
Ftilt

Stutter Step Fsmash (Possibly get far away enough?)
Dsmash
SH Nair
GF Nair
SH Fair
SH Dair
FH Dair
GF Dair

Interesting Stuff
Walk (?)
Dash (?)
Footstool
Roll
Spotdodge
Dtilt
Fsmash
Hyphen Usmash
FH Nair
FH Fair
GF Fair
GF Bair
FH Uair

Turnip Freepull (?)
Turnip Dashpull (?)

Strictly Mix-ups

Airdodge
Pivot Grab
Utilt
Charged Fsmash
Usmash
SH Bair
SH Uair
GF Uair
Toad

Slingshot Peach Bomber
Parasol

OMG NEVER

Nothing
Crouch
Charged Usmash
Charged Dsmash
FH Bair
B-Reversed Toad
Peach Bomber
Turnip Pull

Okay, maybe not. We just added roll to our options. But we're still good. What if MK decides to go a different route?

After landing a jab against MK, which of these avoids Shuttle Loop (inv frame 5, hits frame 8)?

Spam These Options
Shield
Jab 2

Bread & Butter
Jump+
Float+
Grab
Dash Grab
Ftilt
Stutter Step Fsmash (Spaced right?)
Dsmash
SH Nair

GF Nair
SH Fair

SH Dair
FH Dair

GF Dair

Interesting Stuff
Walk (?)
Dash (?)
Footstool (?)
Roll
Spotdodge
Dtilt
Fsmash
Hyphen Usmash
FH Nair
FH Fair
GF Fair
GF Bair
FH Uair
Turnip Freepull (?)
Turnip Dashpull (?)

Strictly Mix-ups

Airdodge
Pivot Grab
Utilt
Charged Fsmash
Usmash
SH Bair
SH Uair
GF Uair
Toad
Slingshot Peach Bomber(?)
Parasol

OMG NEVER

Nothing
Crouch
Charged Usmash
Charged Dsmash
FH Bair
B-Reversed Toad
Peach Bomber
Turnip Pull

Here's a ton of stuff, and a bit of it depends on spacing. Taking into account the actual loop inside of Shuttle Loop, you could actually jump inside and hit with an uair and even parasol! Possibly! Depends on spacing.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
I know it's not finished, but another thing I meant when I told Raz was to imagine scenarios. Say that you're on Delfino and MK is sharking. You have some options depending on your character and your universal options. You can shield every hit (takes good reflexes), you can shield all the way and wait for the shuttle loop or tornado. If it's a shuttle loop, roll the direction opposite of the shuttle loop. You can also just shield and act OoS. You can shield and jump after it's hit to clear some space and bait a shuttle loop (airdodge to avoid, though it is peach.....) That's just options on the ground. You can also camp higher platforms to not risk shield diminish and just stay out of range. As long as you have a turnip you can ensure one mindgame and follow up with a turnip toss will allow for a safe and most likely temporary return.

^That's just the options when you're grounded. Think of how you can bait a shuttle loop in the air and punish it. ^__-

The whole paragraph is dedicated to just Sharking on levels with multiple platforms. Knowing the options from what you SEE is just as important as knowing the options that frames ALLOW.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Nice thread.
Great job as usual Meno.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
it'd be cool if more peaches picked up on this. especially if they have certain habits or don't know what to do in certain situations coz unlike in game, out of game we have the actual time to think about these things since there's no opponent pressuring us.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
You son of a B Sticker

I was going to try and make a thread like this ages ago for what to do if your shield got hit (thats why I asked hg whether OoS Jab or Nair was faster) and move on from there, except Uni stuff caught up with me and as per usual you make it look so much better than I ever could have done

:crying:

Also, crouching is technically better than doing nothing because you can avoid some aerials and crouching actually reduces knockback or something, it stops you getting sent as far if you get hit in comparision to if you were standing up

Anyway, loving the thread so far :p Keep it up please, these kind of things tend to die really quickly

Edit: Could someone explain to me the Jab advantages thingy? Does having a +2 advantage for example mean you can hit them with anything that comes out on frame 2? Are -1 and other minus advantages bad things?

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
You son of a B Sticker

I was going to try and make a thread like this ages ago for what to do if your shield got hit (thats why I asked hg whether OoS Jab or Nair was faster) and move on from there, except Uni stuff caught up with me and as per usual you make it look so much better than I ever could have done

:crying:

Also, crouching is technically better than doing nothing because you can avoid some aerials and crouching actually reduces knockback or something, it stops you getting sent as far if you get hit in comparision to if you were standing up

Anyway, loving the thread so far :p Keep it up please, these kind of things tend to die really quickly

Edit: Could someone explain to me the Jab advantages thingy? Does having a +2 advantage for example mean you can hit them with anything that comes out on frame 2? Are -1 and other minus advantages bad things?

Crouching only reduces knockback in melee, not brawl. When you get hit in brawl, your character is returned to a neutral position. Having a frame 2 advantage means that you have two frames where the opponent cannot input anything such as roll, attack, drop, etc.

In brawl when you attack a shield, it's not safe as most of the time the opponent can retaliate real quickly. That's shield disadvantage. A good example of shield advantage would be falco's lasers. If a laser hits your shield, he has 3 frames where he's safe and he's able to do something like a jab. Having frame advantage increases the margin of error you can have for an input.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
I found an interesting thing with Peach. You can buffer a shield to pivot grab in swooping motion while running away.

The other thing, while not new, would facilitate buffering a roll out of a dash. When you input a small dash without holding it, quickly input a roll. If done correctly, you will not see the shield at all which means you're being frame perfect. Be sure to buffer something out of that roll though so it won't be in vein.

If you're landing a good mix up would be to airdodge into the ground and buffer a dash attack or a dash grab. I know the last two are probably known, so if the additional input is not that helpful then I'm sorry about that. I'm just trying to help out Raz and the other Peach mains to get better.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I'm loving this thread, Meno. I like that even with some of her most horrible options you don't just completely shove them aside. I always try to work with everything I have.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Meno beastin' this thread.

This needs to be kept bumped IMO. It's super valuable.

It will take like 20 years to completely finish... But by that time, all Peaches will be rapin' errbody.

If you can keep on with this try to do the whole cast from jab.

Top Bottom