• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSC and Derivatives - A style of playing an approaching Ice Climbers

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
One of the problems and complaints our character has is that we play super campy. Much of the metagame is designed for us to capitalize on mistakes an opponent makes on approach. However, because of the infinite punishing power a cg has, realistically speaking, once an opponent has the lead, they will often never approach. This tactic that I've been developing shall be what I hope is part one of a two part series.

A few premises that need to be taken into account:
1. Out of dash, the options a player has at their disposal are fairly limited. They are to continue on to running, dash back in a dash dance, stop, ([reverse] boost/pivot) grab, dash attack, up smash, side special, jumping, and to a more limited extent the neutral and down specials as well as shield can be done out of a run.

2. The Ice Climbers have one of the highest, if not the highest, sliding effects. On shield stun, they slide a considerable amount. At the same time, they also have one of the highest, if not the highest (I think Luigi is higher), momentum sliding/low friction rates. For the most part, this has always been perceived as a negative effect because the slide is caused by shielding an opponent’s attack causing shieldstun and moderate knockback. In particular, this effect makes it difficult to grab directly out of shield.

3. Shield dropping takes a total of 7 frames of cool down time. However, when done out of a run, these frames can be spent while moving in a sliding motion that carries the momentum of the direction of the dash.

4. A standing grab has both 2 frames faster hitboxes as well as 10 frames shorter cool down than a dash grab or pivot grab. At the same time, a dash grab is triggered by how much player the momentum the player is carrying under their own control, regardless of what move came before. That means that for up to two frames after initiating a shield, it is possible to dash grab. However at the third frame, the standard standing grab is initiated instead of a dash grab out of dash cancelling shield.

5. Because of timing and spacing, the range difference between a dash grab and a standing grab is fairly negligible. To explain, by doing a dash grab, one must commit earlier to a grab than a normal standing grab. However, with a standing grab, that same distance could be covered by DI, prior to a grab being executed.

6. Momentum can also be carried into other moves out of dash cancelled shield
including smash attacks at they charge.

What all of this means:
1. This creates the DSG (Dash Shield Grab or Dash Cancel Shield Grab) - Essentially, it simply means that out of a run, a player flashes their shield for as few frames as they can and then initiates a grab. In terms of spacing, outside of a few exceptions, any grounded attack is able to be grabbed if an Ice Climber is given enough time to run. The pros of shielding prior to grabbing are twofold. First, a player would power shield many possible attacks that would interrupt a traditional dash grab. If a move is powershielded, or just shielded for that matter, if a player initiates grab on IASA frame 1 or 2, they would dash grab out of shield. More interesting, if a player grabs out of shield on IASA frame 3, they would perform a standing grab. Therefore, with correct timing, a player trades 1 frame of starting move time against 10 frames of cool down. I’ll let you all determine what 10 frames mean to you, but it’s not going to save you from a particular 5 frame dsmash hit box, but it might save you from some 14 frame fsmash hitbox. Meaning that an opponent’s punishing power is reduced drastically off a missed grab.

Video evidence: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11219504&postcount=25

2. As a mixup, an Ice Climber can elect to simply not drop shield in order to bait a spot dodge. The opponent counter to that would obviously be to grab the lead climber. However, if one does not shield drop, Nana is now in a position to not get hit by a pummel of fthrow by an opponent. Thus making an opponent grab game either cancelled or executed at a positive trade for the climber if a counter is executed correctly.

3. The other option is to use a tilt or jab out of the Dash Cancel Shield. For example, if your opponent is getting spot dodge happy, it’s possible at low percents to Dash Cancel Utilt, followed by a footstool, into a grab. Dtilt while sliding has incredible range.

4. This also allows for other desyncs to occur while moving. In particualr, the pivot desync can be exceuted while still sliding, although the time window is noticably decreased. However, it allows a player to execute a pivot desync, regardless of when the player's initial dash occurs, meaning it allows for pivot desyncs out of run. If it's a forward dash which is traditional for the pivot, it has a VERY narrow time window.
IUseful stuff: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11401039&postcount=4592

5. It’s possible to use this technique as an extension of the Reverse Initial Dash Desync. In particular, it sets up nicely into an unexpected Nana grab. I’ve personally been using this technique in a lot of friendlies and it works. Suprisingly, single climber squall sets up particularly well, even more so than blizzard chasing if spaced correctly.

Edit: It's been confirmed that this actually works as a moving Dash Bounce Desync if done correctly. Although this was kind of a given since the Dash bounce and the Reverse Initial Dash desyncs are very related.

Video found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11203351&postcount=13

6. Although already noted, using the DSC is useful when combined with the SND. A sliding supergrab is a nice mixup. There are other uses that I'll list as I come up with them. For now, it appears to have similar properties to pivoting out of DSC, except the separation between the two climbers is significantly larger. If timed correctly, it's possible to do a retreating Nana IB chaser that spans the distance of about 1/3rd of FD.

7. The uses are also not limited to approaching. Using this as an OoS option combined with a charged reverse fsmash seems useful. In particular, I’ve been using it against tornado. Specifically, shield drop, dash away, dash shield cancel, charge reverse fsmash. When the metaknight gets close, use the fsmash. It has a safer range than a pivot grab, and is less baitable because one simply has to hold the charge if the MK elects not to approach.

8. Using the sliding pivot at a ledge with an IB results in a quick latch guard with "extended" edge invinicbility. If the player hits IB again, the climbers will trade spots with Nana falling to the ledge as popo stands up with an attack.

9. Allows for an additional new desync option when an item is in play. If combined with holding an attack input, if a player does a DSC, the climber not holding the item will perform a dash grab while the other holding the item will perform a shield slide. Allows for almost instant special chasing while holding items.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11248225&postcount=34

Addtional Credit:

Ealert - Frame Data on the Dash grab vs standing grab out of shield
Enda - For thinking of the tilt mixup
00-Zero - For testing things with me and making the videos
Joon - For letting me test all of these techs on him for hours and forcing me to break the Lucario matchup.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
The slide kinda makes up for the terrible dash. Not like we were made to have a spectacular dash in the first place.

EDIT: Also we need vids on stuff. I vote Smoom and Vex for official videographers.

DeLux

This would be decent if it was not for the fact that ics have a terrible dash.
I think that this is not a very good evaluation criteria. Obviously, it's an important auxiliary stat, but in terms of the practicality of overall game play, it's not a very relevant weighing mechanism.

Let me explain. Our Dash and Run are both below average to bad. That's a given. However, in terms of weighing what is the best option, the difference between the best and the worst is not very significant when considering the distances that are needing to be bridged. I will put it this way. Average human reaction time is 12.9 frames (based of the average .215 second response times). So the distance covered in 13 frames between the best dash and the Ice climber's dash, read as difference in 1/5th of a second, is the practical difference that needs to be covered based on a players zoning. Considering the small time frame, that is very small at worst and negligible at best. This doesn't even begin to consider that during the in game situation, the situation I'm speaking of considers that the opponent has already either committed to jumping or doing a grounded attack. If they are going to jump, regardless of what the situation is, they are going to be out of range. Most character's IASA on jump is 4 frames which is faster than our 6 frame grab. But in terms of spacing, on the grounded attacks or even spot dodges, because of the shield sliding effects during the practical application of a DSG or derivative the difference in spacing and timing on dash speeds is pretty moot. We are really talking a frame window of 3 frames for the shield flash for sliding and 7 for shield dropping, plus the start up of whatever move is done. So the difference in spacing has to be considered for 1/6th of a second. Which is tiny again.

I've been testing this in friendlies extensively, and it works for many matchups considered at our disadvantage. I think the more important criteria is determining how many jumps the character has because jumping is really the only obvious counter to anything involving grab. That being said, it still limits the punishing power of many characters, because it removes most killing strokes in the game from being "grab safe" and limits many air moves that can't be spaced by another jump.

DeLux

2 things:
1. You stole my name
2. Telling people to dash shield more is Pierce's thing.

That is all.
Alright Mr. Luxor.

1. I didn't steal your name. I've been using the handle Lux for years. It originated from my days of playing CS 1.4 competitively in 2003 as well as began fire spinning, as it derives from Latin for "light". You on the other hand, are named after a hotel. Not just any hotel, but a fairly famous hotel with overrated hospitality at best. In case you weren't sure, they have an internet website which can be found out http://www.luxor.com/. If you want to call them by phone, please dial 1-877-386-4658. All mail inquiries can be sent to 3900 Las Vegas Blvd. South Las Vegas, NV 89119. Good work on the copyright infringement.

TLDR - Las Vegas called. They say they want their name back.

2. Good for Pierce. I'm not sure how this would specifically translate to Marth play because the two counters are grabbing first or jumping. The IC's specifically nullify the grabbing first counter by having a secondary climber to counter grabs.

DeLux

Desynchs involving this are godlike.
I am going to post two vid links real quick. They were made by 00-Zero, so credit goes to him.

The first is just a bunch of standard Dash Bounce "Hylian" Desyncs. As you can see, the input for these comes from reverse initial dash > breveresed/special > reverse/forward dash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnlM5OaPmY0

The second is going to be a moving desync with the DSC. In this video, Nana is desynced but instead of specialing she shield drops out of dash, causing her to slide. This allows her to carry momentum on the IB, creating different spacing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D8pyS2WWvA

What this means:
The two are essentially the same desync. The second is just a derivative of Hylian's with some shield sliding. From my analysis, essentially it trades an 8 frame disadvantage because of the shield drop, for a 14 frame spacing change advantage because of the continued sliding. In essence, when done with a breversed special, the DSC version of the desync creates a 14 frame spacing disadvantage because Nana will momentum slide away from the direction of the IB. However, done without a Breversal in a standard Reverse Initial Dash-esque manner, it actually gives a 14 frame spacing advantage because of momentum slide. This is less frames for Popo to wait before chasing an IB as well as less frames for the IB to deteriorate, making it a better approach option than the standard Hylian desync. The DSC version possibly allows for much better blizzard chasing. The spacing slide ought to bring the starting point of blizzard closer to Popo, if momentum is carried throughout. If reversed, blizzarding is kind of useless.

TLDR - If special chasing as a grab setup, the fastest options are to Breverse Hylian's desync or to carry momentum forward with DSC.

lain

Smash Master
Uhhh okay I've read this twice and I still don't really see the application in what you're saying.

I understand that you're telling us to shield drop out of runs, and then do a grab (within the first 3 IASA frames) and it will still do a running grab (or a standing on third).

My question is, how is this really applicable. Until I see or am explained situations where this is useful, idk what to tell you.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
He's not necessarily telling us to shield drop from a dash lain. Just using shield in general from a dash to get a slide is the main thing he's talking about. Shield dropping in conjunction with a shield grab is just one of the options you have while using the slide from a shield.
Say for example, you have a Snake that likes to f-tilt you if you dash/run at them. With the DSG, you're sliding at them in shield when they f-tilt, eliminating the shield push because you already have forward momentum from the slide; in which case you could shield grab providing you spaced it right so it was PS'd.

DeLux

He's not necessarily telling us to shield drop from a dash lain. Just using shield in general from a dash to get a slide is the main thing he's talking about. Shield dropping in conjunction with a shield grab is just one of the options you have while using the slide from a shield.
Say for example, you have a Snake that likes to f-tilt you if you dash/run at them. With the DSG, you're sliding at them in shield when they f-tilt, eliminating the shield push because you already have forward momentum from the slide; in which case you could shield grab providing you spaced it right so it was PS'd.
Right, essentially it means that if spaced correctly, (ie, if you have enough time and space to dash and shield) you should be able to get a grab if you opponent does a grounded attack. It's also particularly effective to use if you rush a landing spot because it helps insure you punish landing lag and not get jammed by some last ditch effort to knock you back with an aerial. I simply dubbed it as such because the IC game is centered so much around the grab. 00-Zero is right, the most important aspect is the shield cancel into whatever action is decided.

When they catch on and start doing other things, then that's where the mixups come into play.

I'm not going to say that this is how you should always play. From a metagame standpoint, we're still probably better served by simply waiting to capitalize on approach mistakes. It's just an alternative style. One that really comes in hand especially if you're playing from behind. And have to approach.

Edit: After extensive testing, there are very few aerials that this doesn't not work on if an opponent is forced to land. The two I found were ROB's bair because of the launch back, and Peaches Fair because of the frame 2 jab.

Uhhh okay I've read this twice and I still don't really see the application in what you're saying.

I understand that you're telling us to shield drop out of runs, and then do a grab (within the first 3 IASA frames) and it will still do a running grab (or a standing on third).

My question is, how is this really applicable. Until I see or am explained situations where this is useful, idk what to tell you.
Also, technically the shield drop from a grab is different than the shield drop of without a grab. A grab will hit box out on frame 6 out of shield. If you just shield drop, you have to wait 7 frames. But those 7 frames are spent moving.

It's about as close to wave dashing as we can get in melee with doing moves while moving =\

lain

Smash Master
I still have no idea what you're saying.

Running in and PS'ing is what everyone's done since 2008

DeLux

I still have no idea what you're saying.

Running in and PS'ing is what everyone's done since 2008
That's really just one aspect of it. There is much more stuff that we can do with it than just the grab part of the game. It gives us so many more options in terms of spacing and moveset than just sitting and waiting. It helps get grabs. It helps desyncs. It helps approach. It helps.

Admittedly, watching one of your videos against Lee Martin inspired the research for this. Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion, but I think you're dismissing it too quickly.

lain

Smash Master
Forgive me if I sound rude or anything, I just am hesitant whenever I see another "new IC tactic" thread. They're typically horrible, but as of late (i.e. meeps stuff, etc) they have been very good.

Someone needs to explain this to me in layman's terms ;<

swordgard

Smash Hero
Hes basically saying dont walk, just run shield to recenter yourself near the opponent. Then use moves in walking distance or use run shield grab at right spacing.

At least thats what I got from it.

Sieguest

Smash Master
future said:
walking is broken good because you can shield anytime during it tho

you cant shield during dash animation
You don't slide from walking though. (I should say you don't slide near as far as you would if you dashed into shield to be precise.)

Besides, the point is use the slide in approaching your opponent. Using the dash right next to your opponent is just..... x.x

swordgard said:
Hes basically saying dont walk, just run shield to recenter yourself near the opponent. Then use moves in walking distance or use run shield grab at right spacing.

At least thats what I got from it.
I don't think he's saying not to walk period. He's just putting forward a way to use the ICs in a more aggressive manner. (Just to be precise, I'm really only disagreeing with the part where you say he's saying don't walk.)

DeLux

Swordgard hit it pretty spot on, minus the fun desync stuff actually. It's really just designed to be a mixup that compliments to the way we conventionally play the character. The more I experiment with the style, the more I see its limitations, but how the mixups and desync advantages help cover that.

However, some players in skype have been noting how even small doses of this mixup in the normal style of play seems to be very effective.

walking is broken good because you can shield anytime during it tho

you cant shield during dash animation

On the walking note, I don't understand the advantage of walking outside of instant shield/moveset options. Except for the 14 frames of vulnerability, DSC is a superior option. It's faster and has more momentum. However the 14 frames of vulnerability can be masked by dash dancing and roll cancelling if everything is spaced correctly. To me I feel like walking in the situations where DSG is applicable gives you all the disadvantages of playing campy and having shield slide knock back as well as the disadvantages of slower movement speed.

Please don't dash right next to your opponent >< That's not the point. Most of the stuff should be done out of run cancel. So maybe I should have named it RSC.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Yo! Zero posted this vid in the Skype chat. And before you make your initial objections as to if MK actually spaced Nado we would miss the grab, think beyond that moment as to what we could do. (Because we all ready discussed/are discussing in the skype chat right now.)

DeLux

Yo! Zero posted this vid in the Skype chat. And before you make your initial objections as to if MK actually spaced Nado we would miss the grab, think beyond that moment as to what we could do. (Because we all ready discussed/are discussing in the skype chat right now.)
I am relatively certain that the Tornado is only grabbable after the first hit but before the second hit.

Based on my math, the first hit has 5 frames of hit stun, although I'm not sure about differential on shield, so I'm just going to assume that the differential is 0 for a worst case scenario. According to Swordgards post in the DI tornado thread, the second hitbox for tornado comes 6 frames after the hitlag.

Therefore, between the first hit and the second hit, there are 11 frames of time that a player can act from. A true DSG will take no more than 9 frames ( 1-3 shield + 7/6 frames of grab hit box respectively). This is 2 frames less than the 11 frames to grab.

The other factor to think about is Nana. If done out of a standstill, nana is still affected by hitlag on a powershield grab. However, with DSG, she is still 5 frames behind popo. So in theory, if you DSG'd a few frames late on the tornado, popo would get hit, but Nana would be able to still grab the nado based on grab armor principles.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I am relatively certain that the Tornado is only grabbable after the first hit but before the second hit.
Do you mean the hit right after startup? Or the first hit that is shielded. If you mean the hit right after startup, then that's incorrect because Zero was grabbing MK out of nado while MK was in the middle of it.

If you mean after the first hit that is shielded then that's obvious.

Based on my math, the first hit has 5 frames of hit stun, although I'm not sure about differential on shield, so I'm just going to assume that the differential is 0 for a worst case scenario. According to Swordgards post in the DI tornado thread, the second hitbox for tornado comes 6 frames after the hitlag.

Therefore, between the first hit and the second hit, there are 11 frames of time that a player can act from. A true DSG will take no more than 9 frames ( 1-3 shield + 7/6 frames of grab hit box respectively). This is 2 frames less than the 11 frames to grab.
This doesn't make sense to me. Hitstun=/=Hitlag. Could you clarify?

The other factor to think about is Nana. If done out of a standstill, nana is still affected by hitlag on a powershield grab. However, with DSG, she is still 5 frames behind popo. So in theory, if you DSG'd a few frames late on the tornado, popo would get hit, but Nana would be able to still grab the nado based on grab armor principles.
mmmk. :)

DeLux

I'm correct. Mach tornado has a constant hitbox until the first hit whether it's on shield or on a character. After the first hit, hit box repeatedly appear every 6 frames.

And if you powershield, you aren't subject the frames of hit/shield/stun/lag. You will ALWAYS have to powershield for this to work. If you don't, there's too much lag for anything to happen.

Sieguest

Smash Master
I'm correct. Mach tornado has a constant hitbox until the first hit whether it's on shield or on a character. After the first hit, hit box repeatedly appear every 6 frames.
Oh I see.

And if you powershield, you aren't subject the frames of hit/shield/stun/lag. You will ALWAYS have to powershield for this to work. If you don't, there's too much lag for anything to happen.
That's not true, shield lag is sharply reduced, but you still experience shield stun. Though the rest of what you say is true.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I would suggest never trying that against a good MK. No mk is ever just going to do a grounded nado lol, if they do you should be beating them already anyways. It's a good thing to know, but I don't think it will ever be applicable in high level play.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
No, when you clash with the hitbox of nado, it disappears for 5 frames, then you can grab immediately after. It LOOKS like it ends because you're stopping his animations completely.

DeLux

I would suggest never trying that against a good MK. No mk is ever just going to do a grounded nado lol, if they do you should be beating them already anyways. It's a good thing to know, but I don't think it will ever be applicable in high level play.
The video wasn't necessarily supposed to be an "Anti Mach Tornado" vid. It was more a demonstration on what's possible with DSG.

it also looked like ICs were grabbing MK as he was ending his tornado every time in that video
That's not correct. It happened once I think in the video as you stated, but the majority of them happened via the math I outlined.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
So guys.

1. one climber holds item (hold down attack)
2. dash shield cancel
3. ???
4. **** desync, keep item

DeLux

If you catch an item (ie banana) you have an easy forward moving setup into a chaser scenario. Transfer the item to nana and as you do so, hold down on the attack button (something you should do already just so you can still fsmash without letting go of the item). Do a dash attack and then hit shield or grab. The climber not holding the item ( popo) will dash grab while the one holding the item will shield (nana). If you shield drop with the climber holding the item (nana), have them blizzard or IB. Then chase with the other climber (popo) when dash grab is done. Wait time on the IB chase should be around 10 frames based on cool down frame data.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I can say for myself that this is legit, this is a good find.

It may not entirely eliminate ICs biggest problems in the current metagame atm, but it'll sure help in several scenarios.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i would never do this vs ics (because of the risk involved,) but grounded nado does actually have very sparse applications.

DeLux

I nonpowershield DSG'd a PKT2 on Ness the other day. I recorded the replay somewhere, I'll get it online asap.

I'm sure pivot grabbing is still a better option, but it's still fun stuff haha

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Lux, you're going to have to explain this to me more in person next time I see you. lol

Top Bottom