• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Rediscussion: Zero Suit Samus

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu vs. Zero Suit Samus
( Link to central matchup thread. )

Resources for discussion:

Current MU Ratio (subject to change after discussion): 53:47 in Pikachu's favor
Can we CG her?: Yes

- 0% - 47% + regrab
- Fthrow x 6 > grab/I]

Our Original Matchup Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218466
Their Matchup Opinion/Thread: "Even" 55:45-45:55 either side favor, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203418

Pikachu Frame Data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=223901
Zero Suit Samus Frame Data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=265245

Summary:

In progress.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
MU is either 55:45 or 60:40

Ugh...I really don't wanna start because of how much I posted in that other thread, but I guess I have to since it is "outdated"

Pikachu is one of the 2 characters that can effectively gimp ZSS. T-jolt controls space which forces her to either DJ or down-b, and then pikachu's nair can do the rest. THe long lasting hitbox that doesn't send ZSS anywhere is perfect because it won't send her far enough to restart the mindgames (Hitting us off the ledge, being able to land on the ledge) and we can grab the ledge before she tethers. The only other person who can effectively gimp her is MK, with the same style nair.

In this match I'm finding it harder and harder to approach. Pika can't approach her in the air for **** (Jump can be reacted to with uair...which starts combo and blah), and we get out-ranged on the ground by d-tilt and D-smash. I think the best way to approach is shoot a T-jolt and run with it. However, once the T-jolt hits shield it is a guessing game. She can either drop shield D-tilt to hit you out of a run, or she can OOS SH uair which beats all aerial mix-ups (like SH Dair). She can't really approach pikachu either, but her shield pressure/mix-up game is really good. D-smash on shield I think has people on an even frame advantage with calculating shield drop. So, if we try to drop shield anything to ZSS, she can jab us out of it (1 frame jab). Her forward roll is also beast, so she can d-tilt to roll behind and then keep the pressure on that way. If she predicts our roll away to relieve the pressure, she can run and dash attack lock, which, depending on %s, either hits us all the way across the stage (at around 30-40% she has a dash attack lock), or at low % it sets up for dash attack - u-tilt/d-tilt- uair - air chase.

Her damage output is ridiculous, all she needs is like...3 different D-smashes (so getting hit by one and then her doing another one for damage is still 1). D-smash D-smash Dash attack U-tilt is something like 35-40%. We will die probably around 130-140% consistently in this MU, either from bair or forward b (which can be comboed into with D-smash).

She can't really mess with our recovery too tough, but watch out with your skull bashing. If she predicts it, she can jump really high and either uair you off the top or forward B you...and you will die way earlier (prob around 85-100% considering you have to be hit near the corner) depending on how fair away from the stage you are.

Nick Riddle recently got a level-up in his play and I haven't matched it yet, so when I do I will tell you guys how to approach (which is my main problem now)

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Looks like it's only useful if ZSS doesn't wait for the stun to end. Although if they do and you're still SDI'ing down...... byebye Pikachu. (Can't hurt to try if you're guaranteed to be dead anyway tho I guess.)

I don't think I've ever seen a Zero Suit randomly jab after a dsmash. ;;

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJp03Zpd-8
Me vs. Bio, a local ZSS. Probably not the best representation of the matchup, considering my mistakes that I'm seeing, but...

I can't ever seem to get in when fighting Zamus. It's really tough. I have to pull some sort of trick (like faking rushing in, and p-sheilding whatever attack) if I want to start dealing damage.

Vs. Suit pieces, I personally hate them. If you can use them, use them, but I will immediately throw them of, maybe keeping one to use if I feel good. But if I don't get them away quick, it's generally a stock off me. It's a case of experience, but experience I don't have, so I'm getting rid of those.

With downsmash, would it be a good idea to sheild the first one and mix up different ways of getting out(rolling either way or jumping) or do we have things that can beat it? I just know not to get hit by it.

I always seem to fall for side-b. Spacing for it is far out and I never see it. :(

Our projectiles are beast here. They stop here on the edge, they are a good way to get in, and just trash her in general. But don't forget to be unpredictable with it. She can stop them easily enough.

Stay under her. If you can get her up, thunder, although kinda tough to hit with, will do good. She really can't do much, and if she tries to Dair you, just hit her on the ground with the lag. Anywhere else in the air is a BAD idea.

Overall probably 55:45 ours, maybe 60:40. Somewhere in between, closer to 55:45.

Now to see if ESAM already covered all of what I said in his massive post...

Top Bottom