• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10 Min Timer

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
How many people here have ever played a match against an opponent without the intent of timing each other out and still have the match go to time? How may people here think that the game would be better if you add 2 minutes to the timer in order to actually finish the match and determine a winner by an actual win and not an unintentional time out? If anyone here agrees that the timer should be changed to 10 or even 9 minutes, just post here.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'd be willing to run away for 2 more minutes.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
timer needs to be 8 so tournaments can run more smoothly

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
How is this dumb?
because timing out is a legitimate way to win

you have 8 min. to do whatever you want. if that is intentionally or otherwise run the clock. then whatever, it happens and the winner will be decided

Laem

Smash Champion
nothing wrong with 10 min instead of 8
it's just that americans dont like change now that they think obama sucks

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I don't think you understand what I'm getting at.
Sure adding a minute or two may "help" the player not trying to time the other one out, but thats not the problem.

We can't STOP them from timing us out (scrooging).

Remove the timer completely or just keep it at eight.
With a ten minute timer you would get longer tournaments, resulting in inefficiency.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Sure adding a minute or two may "help" the player not trying to time the other one out, but thats not the problem.

With a ten minute timer you would get longer tournaments, resulting in inefficiency.
no timer is the worst idea ever just to let you know

z00ted

It's the same thing as adding time to the clock.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's the same thing as adding time to the clock.
At least the timer has a set duration.

I would go out of my way to make every match last as long as possible, I don't care if I win or lose. It's fun to be an a****** when it's so easily prevented.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master

You forget that not every player is always going to go for the time out and that most matches on average last about 6 min. This rule is mainly here to help characters like peach, DDD or Diddy kong who may not be able to finish their matches in 8 min. I can't stop players from timing someone but this timer rule can help the player getting timed out by giving him an extra 2 min to try and rack up some damage.

z00ted

Why does every rule proposition you make help your character?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Why does every rule proposition you make help your character?
If that were true then I would support the ground time rule at the end of a time out(this rule by itself) which I don't because it forces certain characters and players to play differently.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If you guys are not going to post anything constructive, then can you please not post anything at all?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You were already explained to why this was a bad idea, but you went ahead and made a thread anyway.

This is something you have to argue with among your region first. If several thousand posts of discussion on MK couldn't get the community couldn't get them to make a change, what makes you think this topic will do anything other than make people facepalm at you?

This change is unnecessary, unwarranted, and unneeded, since there's no reason at ALL to change the timer.

NNID
Budget_Player
You know what impression I keep getting from Jebus? "Baww I hate getting timed out it's ghey and boring".

Deal with it. I promise you 100% that I (and I recommend this to everyone else who ever plays against this guy, so he learns to deal with it) will aircamp and scrooge you for 8-20 minutes should we play, in the lead or not!

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
You know what impression I keep getting from Jebus? "Baww I hate getting timed out it's ghey and boring".

Deal with it. I promise you 100% that I (and I recommend this to everyone else who ever plays against this guy, so he learns to deal with it) will aircamp and scrooge you for 8-20 minutes should we play, in the lead or not!
what the hell are you talking about? This no longer has to do with time outs. This has to do with the fact that even though some matches in this game are played they way they are supposed to be played, some characters don't get enough time to finish the match. I don't know about you but I would rather finish my match instead of having it end before someone has a chance to take the other player's last stock?

NNID
Budget_Player
what the hell are you talking about? This no longer has to do with time outs. This has to do with the fact that eve though some matches in this game are played they way they are supposed to be played, the players don't get enough time to finish the match. I don't know about you but I would rather finish my match instead of having it end before someone has a chance to take the other player's last stock?
Emphasis on my part. So the matchups are ridiculously campy. You know which matchups also are, when played correctly? MK vs. pretty much anyone else. Dat dair. If it doesn't go to time, the opponent ran into **** or the MK got impatient. And somehow... that's the whole point of the matchup. Or?

I just don't see the point. You have a few matchups where it's likely to go to time, oh well. So what? You'd rather see the last stock be taken before time runs out?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Emphasis on my part. So the matchups are ridiculously campy. You know which matchups also are, when played correctly? MK vs. pretty much anyone else. Dat dair. If it doesn't go to time, the opponent ran into **** or the MK got impatient. And somehow... that's the whole point of the matchup. Or?

I just don't see the point. You have a few matchups where it's likely to go to time, oh well. So what? You'd rather see the last stock be taken before time runs out?
Yes. I would rather finish the match then watch it go to time. I play Diddy kong and when I play a match against a DDD or a peach, the matches usually go to time because neither character can land a kill move or approach safely. I can only speak for my character since I only main him but I am pretty sure that there are other characters with this same problem. It has been proven that a 10 timer can be used and still have a tournament finish on time. So what is the problem with having a 10 minute timer?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
10 min timer is fine. a lot of the time there are matches that get timed out unintentionally so this would help resolve those outcomes too.

NNID
Budget_Player
Yes. I would rather finish the match then watch it go to time. I play Diddy kong and when I play a match against a DDD or a peach, the matches usually go to time because neither character can land a kill move or approach safely. I can only speak for my character since I only main him but I am pretty sure that there are other characters with this same problem. It has been proven that a 10 timer can be used and still have a tournament finish on time. So what is the problem with having a 10 minute timer?
Again, your preference.

I have nothing against raising the timer to 10 minutes on a philosophical level; it's not a rule like the ganoncide rule or banning infinites that sets a ****ty precedent or is ridiculously anti-originalist. I'm merely stating that your motive is either personal preference, personal bias (good for your character), or something of the sort. Nothing specifically speaks against it; it is, as always with settings, a personal preference. If it ends up becoming the new standard, more power to you the people who thought of it first. But your motive is a terrible reason to change the ruleset-nothing more than personal preference. And if tournaments can realistically pull off 10 minutes... well, I guess they can. I will regret it, as I rely on timing out characters like ICs and Sonic to win.

Also, it's actually not a problem.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Again, your preference.

I have nothing against raising the timer to 10 minutes on a philosophical level; it's not a rule like the ganoncide rule or banning infinites that sets a ****ty precedent or is ridiculously anti-originalist. I'm merely stating that your motive is either personal preference, personal bias (good for your character), or something of the sort. Nothing specifically speaks against it; it is, as always with settings, a personal preference. If it ends up becoming the new standard, more power to you the people who thought of it first. But your motive is a terrible reason to change the ruleset-nothing more than personal preference. And if tournaments can realistically pull off 10 minutes... well, I guess they can. I will regret it, as I rely on timing out characters like ICs and Sonic to win.

Also, it's actually not a problem.
I do not think that it is personal preference. Who's decision was it to make the timer 8 minutes in the rule set? If the rule set had a timer that was too low, you would have more matches end in time outs simply because there is just not enough time to finish an entire match with the amount of time given. An 8 minute timer gives almost all characters enough time to finish all of their matches with out forcing them to go to time but it does not give all characters enough to finish there matches and forces them to either blindingly approach or get timed out.

The timer should be increased if a match is being played correctly and is somehow not finishing on time. By not increasing the timer, you are basically nerfing these characters since they do not get the amount of time they deserve to actually finish their match like the rest of the cast. While they may get the same amount of time to play their match as the other characters, what is enough time for one character may not be enough for another. I would also like to add that it's kind of hard to get accurate match up ratios if percentage lead is what determines the winner of a match most of the time in certain match ups (which can go either way and by no means determines overall player skill)

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
I think the argument here isn't working because we're coming across two different ideas of when matches ending in time-outs actually mean. People either believe that running the clock is an actual strategy that should be an influence in matches or believe that all characters should have more than enough time to effectively rack up damage safely and have enough time to successfully land a kill. One good example I think would be Wario vs. Falco.

When Wario gets a lead stock on Falco, his defensive game makes it extremely difficult for falco to manage a kill move. Should Wario keep this advantage just because we have a timer that makes this possible? 8 Minutes isn't really enough for Falco to safely rack up damage and get a kill where as 10 minutes would be a lot better for Falco. I believe that just this 2 minute change could change the match up ratio between these two characters.

I think that this all just breaks down to if people believe that the clock's reasonable yet abusable time limit should be allowed to influence a win (assuming that no one is just planking or stalling...cough mk...). Some people believe that matches should be played as if there were no clock, while others believe that having a clock builds strategy and makes matches have more competitive options.

Personally I believe that if a character cannot win a match in 8 minutes consistently (like diddy), it is all apart of the match. I enjoy having the clock influence the match and force a conclusion within reasonable time constrictions, while allowing options that can add more ways to win a match (as long as it isn't just stalling or planking). To me the clock brings a sort of balance and pressure that makes matches more enjoyable, knowing that the mindsets of the players are always racing and trying to perform accurately within a timely fashion. This reminds me of chess matches that are either free time or have a turn clock. Both have different affects to an outcome winning player, while both are still competitive and used in tournaments.

Maybe the answer is to have the time (being either 8 or 10) as apart of the counter-pick process. This could allow the best of both worlds to the table. Of course, like anything, this would require a lot of testing.
In a world where we can only have 8 minute clocks or 10 minute clocks, personally I enjoy the 8 minute clock since it fuels excitement in the matches to me, like running a timed mile. :p

The Truth!

Smash Ace
People who say it makes no difference really arent thinking.

An 8 minute timer is just as arbitrary as a 10 minute one. Whats sad is that most of the people disagreeing with this probably dont agree with their own logic. You know what else would make tournaments run more efficiently? Cutting it down to 6 minutes. Im assuming you guys are in love with that idea.

I heard the timer rule was meant for there to be 2 minutes for each stock in melee, and they just randomly carried it over to brawl. Since I doubt anyone wants 6 minutes total, making it 3 minutes per stock (9 overall) makes sense. I wouldnt mind 10 minutes either.

Also Jeebus just ignore BPC, lol. He just trolls responses and has no practical experience or arguments.

Top Bottom