• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Lab: Techs and Missed Techs, Everything You Need To Know added

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
You people need to figure out tele-smashing already.

The Olimar exclusive AT that allows thrown Pikmin to do smashes from across FD! It exists! It has to!

humble

Smash Ace
Good write up, even if some people already knew about it, it's good to clarify for everyone. I look forward to all the interesting insights and information that is sure to come from this thread. :)

Luxor

Smash Champion
It was never meant to be a new tech discovery, just an insight into how it works.

And this thread is going to have ALL completed Smash Lab projects in it; mine just happened to be the first. There WILL be updates and expositions on every mechanic, tech, and process under the sun in here, so stay tuned!

And no, QAC does not work the same. It just allows you to jump out of its landing. More or less the same effect, though, which is what I think you meant.

This stuff is old... or at least, with me. They're all variations of Nuritake Step and shield drop.

To do the grenade thing in the beginning: pull out a nade, hold b, then tap down, then flick shield and release b, all in quick succession.

To do the run cancel into X move(nuritake step): you dash, then as the dash ends and run starts, you turn around and buffer crouch. Or something to that effect. Mess around with it in training; it's not too hard.

The item pickups/attacks were Nuritake step derivatives I assume.

As for Samus/Mario's charge cancels into drops/pickups/attacks... my best guess is that you shield drop them and buffer airdodge. A janky combination of shield drop and snake's grenade tricksy.

Iirc, Sonic can hold shield in his spindash/shot/w/e to land and pull out shield around frame 1, then you just stick tilt into the equation as you land to drop.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
It is easy to do nuritake step with Snake. Start with him and work to you normal character (unless you main Snake). Indigo is correct on how it is done. Simply dash and at the end of the animation turn and buffer a crouch. You can repeat it over and go forward or you can do it backwards to retreat. You can also do a true pivot for short distance. The exacution is the same except you turn at the beginning of the dash animation and do not crouch.

Browny

Smash Hater
+2 post count

anyway I got a question, what are you guys doing regarding hitbubbles? It was proven that they are innacurate due to scaling issues on any character whos body parts increase in size during an attack (Sonic, Mario, Luigi, DDD, Kirby, Jigglypuff and most of the very cartoony style characters) and I havent seen anything done since. Some people have tried to alter the bone scaling or something to cater for the increase in hitbubble size for individual attacks with limited success but I still havent seen anything done about it yet as a whole.

Like Sonics bair for example, clearly a flaw in the hitbubble program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyZgMWOfs8#t=2m16s
and his fsmash considerably larger than it actually is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyZgMWOfs8#t=4m16s

This affects a lot of attacks.

Luxor

Smash Champion
TheMike is collecting the hitbubble .pacs for every character. Once we have them all we'll probably go back and fix the scaling issues, using AMKalmar's method detailed in that one thread.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
To do the grenade thing in the beginning: pull out a nade, hold b, then tap down, then flick shield and release b, all in quick succession.
This is true. Just pause the video repeatedly during the moments Snake pulls out a grenade until he shields. You'll see a shadow of him going down the platform (apparently its like 1 frame, or something around that regard), then him throwing the grenade (release B) then shielding to remain on the platform (which causes Snake to airdodge so he grabs the grenade, but since he's still over the platform he lands immediately into a shield. Now he has a grenade in hand).

The other stuff.... Never got around to checking it out.

This is true. Just pause the video repeatedly during the moments Snake pulls out a grenade until he shields. You'll see a shadow of him going down the platform (apparently its like 1 frame, or something around that regard), then him throwing the grenade (release B) then shielding to remain on the platform (which causes Snake to airdodge so he grabs the grenade, but since he's still over the platform he lands immediately into a shield. Now he has a grenade in hand).

The other stuff.... Never got around to checking it out.
Good to see other people share my theories...

Truth, I'll see about getting videos up.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Yeah you are right on that stuff Indigo. Susa was doing that stuff back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbONIt0wl1I from a 1:00 onward.

now i had a quick question. I am able to true pivot however i didnt know you can cancel dash while still facing forward via narikate step. Is it only possible with characters with a crawl? Could someone explain this tech more to me?

saviorslegacy

Here are my contributions to the smash lab:

An explanation of the Small Pivot- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MjARH1GVl4
(and) how to perform the Nuritake Step- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSGUel12xYU

I've already found some combo's with Sheik that have to deal with the Nuritake Step.
They are hard to perform, but the ability to dash into a f-tilt or u-tilt makes it very useful.
As far as spacing goes, I don't see how this is terribly useful. It provides safer approaches for some characters though because it allows them to pretty much do anything they want out of a dash. I cancel my run with a shield and then perform a Nuritake Step and end it with a jab. It is safer than DA and it is almost impossible to punish Sheik's jab.
As for the small pivot.....
It is very hard to use. When I have use it successfully it was used to punish. I would Small Pivot to the right or left and use jab or DA. This allowed me to move out of the way of danger and then punish.

Nuritake Step is defiantly under rated though, and easier to perform that what you would think. Start with Snake and follow the video's instructions. I can't do it at 1/4 speed because I perform the combination to quickly. So I started at 1/2 speed and worked my way to normal. To bad Sheiks is very hard to perform. :(

Let me know if anyone needs any help.

Savior, the videos apparently aren't available. :/

And as far as Nuritake Stepping so you stay facing forward, I'm going to be honest, I don't know. Er... I was thinking buffer pivot, buffer in the opposite direction, then crouch, but it doesn't seem like it would make sense.

Maybe crawl is what enables it; buffer crawl instead so that you pivot as you stand up? Idk.

saviorslegacy

Savior, the videos apparently aren't available. :/

And as far as Nuritake Stepping so you stay facing forward, I'm going to be honest, I don't know. Er... I was thinking buffer pivot, buffer in the opposite direction, then crouch, but it doesn't seem like it would make sense.

Maybe crawl is what enables it; buffer crawl instead so that you pivot as you stand up? Idk.
Both videos have views on them and one has comments. IDK how to help you. :(

I have a theory on the turning around bit.
It has to deal with when you buffered the pivot. Lets say you buffer the pivot, buffer crouch very very very quickly and then buffer an attack. You will turn around and attack.
Now if you dash, buffer a pivot, buffer a crouch very very quickly and then buffer an attack you will not turn around.

It works for me, so I'll go with that.
It is so similar that as of right now I cannot choose to do one or the other. I either fail or RNDMLY do one. It seems easier to do it in the reverse direction, so I'll just say that I'm doing it to fast.

Since all momentum has been canceled when performing this tech I do not think that crawling has anything to do with it.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So is ZSS's edge canceled Flip Jump kick not considered an ALFC?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
your SJR thing is wrong in explanation.
What happens is that the two Change Actions happen at the same time
You ARE on the ground, and the Animation is over.
The Change Action to fall triggers first, and the game puts you into Fall on the next frame. Before the game checks to see if you landed, it checks to see if you have hit jump, and then it lets you jump. Switching the two change actions in Fighter.pac would most likely fix t the glitch.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I still don't know why they call it ALFC, it sounds so unfamiliar.
it's a simple ledge cancel, I don't know why it has to be a that special name D:
and the list is incomplete as well.

rPSI was supposed to update the lists.:mad:

And Attack Land Fall Cancel is the technical name, duh:012:

Yikarur

Smash Master
in Brawl it would even be "Special Land Fall Cancel" because it's occurs only with specials in Brawl :p

and how exactly does slanted edge ALFC works here? how are the specials mentioned there cancelled?
and why aren't they cancelled on a flat ground?
just don't get the Onstage once because this is different then the things under flat edge.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Hitbubble/Hitbox is an attacks area where it can connect with the opponents Hurtbubble/Hurtbox to deal damage and knockback,
so Hitbubble/Hitbox is what hits and Hurtbox is what can get hit.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Hitbubbles = damage-dealing part
Hurtbubbles- your char's body

We've got a few more things on the way coming out in the near future. Moar hype, guys.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Good work on the turnaround specials. Distinguishing them all has always been troublesome (for me at least, heh). Having a clear explanation with frame data added is pretty awesome.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Hey I got a question for all the researchers. When you are holding the ledge, what is the input to ledge drop> DJ fair AWAY from the stage. Or just jump off the ledge facing away from the stage. Ive done it with D3 but Ive done it with Sonic but Im not really sure how to do it

Yikarur

Smash Master
you can either turn arround yourself with multi jumper and Yoshi (other double jumps cannot turnarround) or you can double jump instant wall jump to aerial (that can even happen easily by accident).
But you just can't jump away and turnarround with "ordinary" double jumps.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
As Yika said, you cannot do it with characters who do not either have multiple double jumps (exp. Meta Knight, King Dedede, Kirby, Jigglypuff), Yoshi (who has special double jump properties) or with people who can wall jump (exp. Mario, Zero Suit Samus, Lucario, etc.).

The multiple double jumps work because they have the ability to turn around in midair when they use their double jumps. If you only have one double jump (excluding Yoshi) then you do not have the ability to turn around when you use your double, which is why you were not able to do this with Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom