• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Pit's matchup discussion: Meta Knight. [Important]

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Metanite.

I wonder why we discuss a lot of weird matchups, and like, never talk about MK.
MK is the most common character, and our worst match-up imo.
Discuss this matchup, share your opinions, or things you know!

Also: if you know any good MK vs Pit video's, post.

- - -

» Facts:

Fthrow » Usmash/Fsmash, it's a guaranteed combo on 0%.
Airrelease » Dashattack, true combo.

» Videos, (Pits vs MKs):

Yass [Pit] vs Neath [MK].
Yass [Pit] vs Neath [MK].
Masashi [Pit] vs Kobayashi [MK].

» Pitmains opinion/input:

Nikenick:

Run away and shoot arrows. This is going to be your basic strategy. If he tries to dair camp you, run away. Most MK's will dair camp and then nado on their last jump, always hold shield up whenever he uses nado, this will prevent you from getting shieldpoked. You can 100% punish tornado with Pit this way. If he's really close, fsmash. If he's too far away to Fsmash but still kind of close, dash attack. If he's far away then just arrow him to punish his ending lag.

Don't be too predictable with your jumps and up b, don't try to glide if he chases you offstage. MK's up b > your glide. Try to ban stages where you cannot go under(PS1, YI), since going under the stage is really safe in this match up(your up b speed > MK's running speed).

Whenever he's offstage, just shoot arrows. It's too risky to chase him. A good MK won't let his recovery get reversed by your mirror shield, just forget it. You'll just get damage for trying. There's only one safe way to reverse his recovery and that's whenever you arrowed all his jumps and force him to use his side b or tornado, then you MIGHT gimp him. (Side b can be aimed upwards after reversed to make MK still land onstage, nado can be aimed at the stage again even after reversing it).

Punish his approaches with jabs and dtilts. Punish nair with utilt unless it's a retreating nair ofcourse. Do NOT approach if both characters are on the ground. SH nair will barely work. You could chase him when you're under him, but watch out for his dair. Retreating fairs might work, but I think he can grab you or do a dash attack.

Do NOT approach him if he planks. Pit is one of the few characters that can handle planking easily: by arrow looping. It'll probably take you a while but it's possible to damage MK if he planks if you loop an arrow correctly. Most MK's will get scared and stop with planking whenever you hit them. Be on your guard, though. You probably won't pay attention when you're looping so MK could do a quick nado approach while you're looping to hit you. Don't loop to close to the edge he's planking on so he cannot punish your looping. (lol at me promoting arrow looping, I normally hate it)

You'll kill MK quite early if your kill moves are fresh. The most important thing is: 'DO NOT FORGET TO SHOOT ARROWS WHENEVER YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR OPPONENT'. Don't just run into your opponent and spam fsmash, that won't work. Keep shooting arrows until you can get a kill move in, it's safe most of the time anyways since your opponent will probably camp because he's at a high %, and he has to approach you since you have the good projectile here. Bair kills really fast but is really hard to land on MK. Fsmash will kill him a bit later but your fsmash probably won't be fresh since it's a good move overall. Dsmash could kill him, and don't forget about dash attack (which is so underrated but kills him at around 130% if sweetspotted).

MK will kill you at around 140~160% if you play this match up correctly. Dsmash, up b and nair are his main killing moves. Up B OoS is just too good and gets me killed most of the time, it'll send you upwards and it'll kill you at around 150%. Be aware that MK can just Dsmash again if you shield his dsmash for the first time. It's a hard to punish move. Nair is just basic imo.

This match up is really stage dependent, try to pick FD or SV. Avoid YI and PS1. BF isn't that great but going to BF is better than going to YI.

Katana Koden:

]What makes him so hard?

To beat tornado, you need to over 11 damage with an attack.
Ftilt can win but, its not consistant since he can tornado higher than the hitbox.

Fair can hit if perfect hit over the tornado.
Or we can mirror shield it and punish the almost non existent lag.
Shooting an arrow near the top can make him spam to a side b to punish.

Tornado isn't the hard part for pit. We can punish his quick ground approaches if you read the timing.

It starts getting harder after the range of his first short hop dair, If he mixes it up. (Dash- dair)

- It can easily send to flying at an unwanted position.

His throws are easy to follow up and yet hard to dodge his attacks. Higher play MK's watch and condition that dodge. So you get punished much harder. Without great di, on a good mk, you can easily get ko'ed at 90% ( aerial up b) to 120% (dsmash)

His range + priority + Speed.

He can punish many options even after his first attack missed. So even if you think you can aerial dodge to escape, wrong.

I am not that great vs mk because I don't know how to properly defend/punish against certain moves.

- When hit prepare to always DI up.
- If you are to aerial dodge, try your best to fast fall aerial dodge instead.
- Back air is your safest option against mk in the air vs glide and up b, clanks at least.
- A greedy up b hungry can get punished by dair if read correctly.
- Condition some moves when mk is flapping back, you are more likely to kill him off stage if read correctly. I would definitely fight him off stage. Mirror shield helped waste a few flaps.

If you are trying to kill him over 120 and fair failed, count 9 other hits to refresh fair as its a common hit move/ kill move.

Off stage and comboed at low percents, do not waste a jump during a combo. Its best to wait for a good mk to waste their jumps dair combo/ wall off stage. Then you can jump or glide back. If you have no choice to WoI, try your best not to go for the stage but above mk. Spam jump out of woi just incase, good chance to avoid his gimps.

- - -​

We're not ready yet!
That's what she said.
:pit:

- - -​

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
This should be stickied.

What makes him so hard?
-----------------------------------------

To beat tornado, you need to over 11 damage with an attack.
Ftilt can win but, its not consistant since he can tornado higher than the hitbox.

Fair can hit if perfect hit over the tornado.

Or we can mirror shield it and punish the almost non existent lag.

Shooting an arrow near the top can make him spam to a side b to punish.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tornado isn't the hard part for pit. We can punish his quick ground approaches if you read the timing.

It starts getting harder after the range of his first short hop dair, If he mixes it up. (Dash- dair)
-It can easily send to flying at an unwanted position.

His throws are easy to follow up and yet hard to dodge his attacks. Higher play MK's watch and condition that dodge. So you get punished much harder.

Without great di, on a good mk, you can easily get ko'ed at 90% ( aerial up b) to 120% (dsmash)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

His range + priority + Speed

He can punish many options even after his first attack missed. So even if you think you can aerial dodge to escape, wrong.

I am not that great vs mk because I don't know how to properly defend/punish against certain moves.

-When hit prepare to always DI up.
-If you are to aerial dodge, try your best to fast fall aerial dodge instead.
- Back air is your safest option against mk in the air vs glide and up b, clanks at least.
- A greedy up b hungry can get punished by dair if read correctly.
- Condition some moves when mk is flapping back, you are more likely to kill him off stage if read correctly. I would definitely fight him off stage. Mirror shield helped waste a few flaps.

If you are trying to kill him over 120 and fair failed, count 9 other hits to refresh fair as its a common hit move/ kill move.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Katana's right, you can make it back, but its not safe. Gliding is better if you want to get from one ledge to another. More later.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
It only takes 9hits? I never knew that xD
Yup, pit tends to stale his moves quite fast and easily. 9 hits such jabs and arrows. Multi hits don't count, 1x per move. Pummels count for each hit, and pit pummels fast.

If you get chased by far offstage you can use your jumps at the far bottom corner and mk cant really get out there. You out camp him in jumps, when he goes to recover, WoI to the other side. A fun thing I learned.

srk99

Smash Cadet
Yup, pit tends to stale his moves quite fast and easily. 9 hits such jabs and arrows. Multi hits don't count, 1x per move. Pummels count for each hit, and pit pummels fast.

If you get chased by far offstage you can use your jumps at the far bottom corner and mk cant really get out there. You out camp him in jumps, when he goes to recover, WoI to the other side. A fun thing I learned.

Smart. Range vs Versatility :D.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
If you grab MK on the smashville platform you can air-release him to the end and fsmash.

Masashi seems to handle MK pretty well *impressed*

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
So, does Pit beat MK on anything outside of camp?
This matchup is SO FRUSTRATING!!! How do we recover vs this fool!? I don't think Pit beats anything MK has up-close. Pit is good at camping, racking up damage once he's in the air(although it's very hard if he nados), reflecting his specials, and pressuring him when he's offstage(arrows).

None of Pit's moves beat Tornado directly head on save for ftilt, which is very hard to set-up due to it's speed. Mirror Shield does not defeat it, but neutralizes it, so maybe that can be used more often to defeat this beast. If he stop using nado because of this, this might make the matchup more bearable. Although, much of the conditioning w/ the mirror-shield is player/skill based, so it's not so important.

How should we combat Tornado?

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Well, if you use Mirror Shield at the right time, it also reflects nado, just like any other attack. Which means if he's at the edge of the stage, that could lead to you taking a stock off of him. But yeah, Mirror Shield is a great alternative to the regular Shield if you need to defend and your Shield is close to breaking. Just try not to use it too much because then people start grabbing you X__X.

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
Run away and shoot arrows. This is going to be your basic strategy. If he tries to dair camp you, run away. Most MK's will dair camp and then nado on their last jump, always hold shield up whenever he uses nado, this will prevent you from getting shieldpoked. You can 100% punish tornado with Pit this way. If he's really close, fsmash. If he's too far away to Fsmash but still kind of close, dash attack. If he's far away then just arrow him to punish his ending lag.

Don't be too predictable with your jumps and up b, don't try to glide if he chases you offstage. MK's up b > your glide. Try to ban stages where you cannot go under(PS1, YI), since going under the stage is really safe in this match up(your up b speed > MK's running speed).

Whenever he's offstage, just shoot arrows. It's too risky to chase him. A good MK won't let his recovery get reversed by your mirror shield, just forget it. You'll just get damage for trying. There's only one safe way to reverse his recovery and that's whenever you arrowed all his jumps and force him to use his side b or tornado, then you MIGHT gimp him. (Side b can be aimed upwards after reversed to make MK still land onstage, nado can be aimed at the stage again even after reversing it).

Punish his approaches with jabs and dtilts. Punish nair with utilt unless it's a retreating nair ofcourse. Do NOT approach if both characters are on the ground. SH nair will barely work. You could chase him when you're under him, but watch out for his dair. Retreating fairs might work, but I think he can grab you or do a dash attack.

Do NOT approach him if he planks. Pit is one of the few characters that can handle planking easily: by arrow looping. It'll probably take you a while but it's possible to damage MK if he planks if you loop an arrow correctly. Most MK's will get scared and stop with planking whenever you hit them. Be on your guard, though. You probably won't pay attention when you're looping so MK could do a quick nado approach while you're looping to hit you. Don't loop to close to the edge he's planking on so he cannot punish your looping. (lol at me promoting arrow looping, I normally hate it)

You'll kill MK quite early if your kill moves are fresh. The most important thing is: 'DO NOT FORGET TO SHOOT ARROWS WHENEVER YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR OPPONENT'. Don't just run into your opponent and spam fsmash, that won't work. Keep shooting arrows until you can get a kill move in, it's safe most of the time anyways since your opponent will probably camp because he's at a high %, and he has to approach you since you have the good projectile here. Bair kills really fast but is really hard to land on MK. Fsmash will kill him a bit later but your fsmash probably won't be fresh since it's a good move overall. Dsmash could kill him, and don't forget about dash attack (which is so underrated but kills him at around 130% if sweetspotted).

MK will kill you at around 140~160% if you play this match up correctly. Dsmash, up b and nair are his main killing moves. Up B OoS is just too good and gets me killed most of the time, it'll send you upwards and it'll kill you at around 150%. Be aware that MK can just Dsmash again if you shield his dsmash for the first time. It's a hard to punish move. Nair is just basic imo.

This match up is really stage dependent, try to pick FD or SV. Avoid YI and PS1. BF isn't that great but going to BF is better than going to YI.

Might've forgotten some things, ask me questions if you want to know something.
Quoted from a while ago.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Off stage and comboed at low percents, do not waste a jump during a combo. Its best to wait for a good mk to waste their jumps dair combo/ wall off stage. Then you can jump or glide back. If you have no choice to WoI, try your best not to go for the stage but above mk. Spam jump out of woi just incase, good chance to avoid his gimps.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Well, if you use Mirror Shield at the right time, it also reflects nado, just like any other attack. Which means if he's at the edge of the stage, that could lead to you taking a stock off of him. But yeah, Mirror Shield is a great alternative to the regular Shield if you need to defend and your Shield is close to breaking. Just try not to use it too much because then people start grabbing you X__X.
A remotely intelligent MK won't get gimped like that. :laugh:

Nitrix

Smash Ace
All this time it never occured to me to use Mirror Shield instead of regular shield. Intersting point! I also read somewhere that Mirror Shield protects Pit from lava on Norfair.

Ayoub

Smash Ace
So, need more discussions/opinions.

Groundgame.

- What moves work great against MK.
- Range.
- How can Pit counter certain moves from MK.
Think about how to punish stuff..

Aerial game.

- Punishing MKs aerials.
- Do certain aerials clash with eachother.
- Range.

Think about whatever you know.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
dtilt works really well on the ground as wel as Wing Lunge Fair jab works well also

air game well u shouldnt be challenging his aerial abilities but if u have to spacing dair works unless out of reaction they OoS shuttle loop nair dont use it uair if hes above u ya FF Bair is good for kills as it shield pokes his tiny *** shield pretty well angel ring dont use so much as a good smasher can SDI out and get a free shuttle loop and

@Xdeath LIEEEEES!!! if put in the right position or if the mk gets greedy pit CAN gimp him its not a way to rely on the win but it CAN/DOES HAPPEN

Ravyn did it to Seibrik cuz seibrik was put in a position where he had limited choices and ravyn read him
point is IT DOES HAPPEN

Utilt as usual is amazing if having a shield battle

also if possible when at mid %'s like 60-120ish try to punish with downsmash NOT fsmash as fsmash is a amazing killer and its best not to have it staled from what ive experienced as it is a very good anti air move

dualseeker

Smash Ace
All this time it never occured to me to use Mirror Shield instead of regular shield. Intersting point! I also read somewhere that Mirror Shield protects Pit from lava on Norfair.
It can help you out in a pinch, especially if your shield is low and your opponents don't grab much ^__^. And yes, you can Protect Pit from the Lava Wall in Norfair with Mirror Shield. Although, it only lasts for a while, so you can't stay in there for ever. It's really simple to do ^__^.

So, need more discussions/opinions.

Groundgame.

- What moves work great against MK.
- Range.
- How can Pit counter certain moves from MK.
Think about how to punish stuff..

Aerial game.

- Punishing MKs aerials.
- Do certain aerials clash with eachother.
- Range.

Think about whatever you know.
Well, on the ground, I know that Dtilt and Ftilt outrange most of his attacks. Good counters are Jab, Dtilt, and Dsmash OOS. You'll probably mostly be using Dtilt since MK's attacks push you away a bit. Jab infinite and normal Jab Jab Jab are good ways to keep the MK away. I think the main way we'll be able to punish stuff from MK is OOS.

In the air, it's going to be harder, since he out ranges every almost every attack we have X__X. You're just going to have to space really well in the air against MK. Most of the time you'll probably be on the defensive while in the air. But make sure to take an offensive approach when you take advantage of an opening. I heard that Pit's Bair either trades or hits with MK's Up B. So Bair may be a good countermeasure to Up B.

That's all I can think of at the moment ^__^.

@Xdeath: Never say Never XD. If it CAN happen it probably WILL happen. And yes, it CAN happen, just like Kuro said.

Ayoub

Smash Ace
It can help you out in a pinch, especially if your shield is low and your opponents don't grab much ^__^. And yes, you can Protect Pit from the Lava Wall in Norfair with Mirror Shield. Although, it only lasts for a while, so you can't stay in there for ever. It's really simple to do ^__^.

Well, on the ground, I know that Dtilt and Ftilt outrange most of his attacks. Good counters are Jab, Dtilt, and Dsmash OOS. You'll probably mostly be using Dtilt since MK's attacks push you away a bit. Jab infinite and normal Jab Jab Jab are good ways to keep the MK away. I think the main way we'll be able to punish stuff from MK is OOS.

In the air, it's going to be harder, since he out ranges every almost every attack we have X__X. You're just going to have to space really well in the air against MK. Most of the time you'll probably be on the defensive while in the air. But make sure to take an offensive approach when you take advantage of an opening. I heard that Pit's Bair either trades or hits with MK's Up B. So Bair may be a good countermeasure to Up B.

That's all I can think of at the moment ^__^.

@Xdeath: Never say Never XD. If it CAN happen it probably WILL happen. And yes, it CAN happen, just like Kuro said.
What about usmash? Usmash seems to work really good OoS against his Up-B (if you PS the first hit then punish the loop), or even his Dair.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Ravyn did it to Seibrik cuz seibrik was put in a position where he had limited choices and ravyn read him
point is IT DOES HAPPEN
Someone doing something in a friendly =/= happening in tournament. It will not happen in tournament. Show me a video of someone good who has played a decent Pit before falling for that in tournament and I'll believe it.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Someone doing something in a friendly =/= happening in tournament. It will not happen in tournament. Show me a video of someone good who has played a decent Pit before falling for that in tournament and I'll believe it.
Haha how many people rep pit vs mk in a tourney? Good luck finding all masashi vids.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
one arrows force u into situations where u have no choice but to use a (B) move two i even SAID DONT RELY ON IT but it is possible humans arent god and pit is amazing at forcing those situations which u would not normally do because it isnt the best option

Haha how many people rep pit vs mk in a tourney? Good luck finding all masashi vids.
exactly i got way too much school just prove something to som1 i can just do it to in tourney(ill get yaa exdeath dunno when but ill get ya with it and laugh and laugh and laugh:chuckle: see u on the 23 at nll >:D)

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Come on people, let's talk about counter-attacking, (on sheild).

Like, a wrongspaced nair from mk can be countered with Utilt OoS.
Wrongspaced dair can be countered with a usmah or hyphen smash (running usmash) OoS.
You might be able to punish fair with jab OoS sometimes.
Fsmash on sheild can be punished with whatever, fsmash back, dsmash, jab.
The loop of shuttle loop can be punished with usmash or uair/dair OoS.

Does nair/dair have any uses OoS against MK?
Is pit able to punish MKs dsmash, before he starts doing another one.
What to do in the air against Mks annoying strings (uair-string, uair-nair-bs).

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Come on people, let's talk about counter-attacking, (on sheild).

Like, a wrongspaced nair from mk can be countered with Utilt OoS.
Wrongspaced dair can be countered with a usmah or hyphen smash (running usmash) OoS.
You might be able to punish fair with jab OoS sometimes.
Fsmash on sheild can be punished with whatever, fsmash back, dsmash, jab.
The loop of shuttle loop can be punished with usmash or uair/dair OoS.

Does nair/dair have any uses OoS against MK?
Is pit able to punish MKs dsmash, before he starts doing another one.
What to do in the air against Mks annoying strings (uair-string, uair-nair-bs).
u can punish glide attack with fsmash and the glair out of shuttle loop as well even spaced well if u c-stick fsmash as he hits ur shield u can punish it my friend sat me down and said here ill help u find a move that can be used and fsmash works best as far as OoS stuff on dsmash um shield grab DOES work but that require precise reaction... >> fking fast *** move is too fast but um another one is grounded WoI to wing lunged fair it works ive tested in real matches the grounded WoI dodges the dsmash and the fair comes out fast enough to punish usually
and for last question if he doesnt see it coming just dair his *** those moves dont have much hitstun so a overconfident combo happy mk will get dair'd just dont abuse it TOO much cuz then its predictable and counterable but it is one more option we have god knows we need as many as we can get here:mad:
as for anything else....fast fall airdodge is all i can say we dont got much

dualseeker

Smash Ace
What about usmash? Usmash seems to work really good OoS against his Up-B (if you PS the first hit then punish the loop), or even his Dair.
I have never tried Usmash OOS on MK. But I'm sure it would be a great counter attack regardless, since Usmash is a good way to punish aerials. So, I'd say that yeah, Usmash would be a good counter attack. And Dair is a good countermeasure to.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
SH Dair OOs can punish a MK's dash-attack behind your shield. I don't see many uses for dair. Masashi only uses it to space while running away, and in the air to counter uair/shuttle loop.

Top Bottom