• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Styles of Wolf's

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
So I have seen many vids for years now of Wolf's. No Wolf plays the same. I have played multiple Wolf's on Wi-Fi and offline.

I would like this thread to be a purpose of describing Wolf's style. I'll start by describing the one I know best, my style (aggro).

• Implements Dacus into combos with Dthrow often, as well as Fthrow.
  • Uses multiple retreating fairs.
  • Many grounded uairs as well as platform drop through uairs.
  • Bair wall into landing behind people.
  • Many attempts at approaching with Jumpshine.
  • Many approaches involving Fair.
  • Many attempts at grabbing.
  • Uses side b as an attack whenever possible.
  • Comes on stage a lot with jump, get up attack, or drop shad.
  • Challenges charged moves often rather then doing safer options.
  • Always shines>uairs or shine>other aerial opponents that follow in air.
  • Always follows up Dthrow with running at opponent (percents higher) or Dacus (mid percents).
  • Uses more Ftilt then any other ground move.
  • Utilizes Boost grab and Boost pivot grab to grab opponents.

Zync

Smash Journeyman
[*]Many grounded uairs as well as platform drop through uairs.

[*]Many approaches involving Fair.

[*]Many attempts at grabbing.

[*]Uses side b as an attack whenever possible.

[*]Comes on stage a lot with jump, get up attack, or drop shad.

[*]Utilizes Boost grab and Boost pivot grab to grab opponents.
[/LIST]
Those are the points I openly share =D

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
what's my style?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxKRm5JNOrs?

Also, I don't really know how well you can summarize a certain "style" of a character, there are definitely a lot of common trends but everyone has their own tweaks. Anyways, let me give this a shot.

My style: boring/safe (until I lose my cool and start doing stupid stuff)
- space back air
- intelligent laser from a distance to force an approach
- running away on platforms to avoid CGs/locks
- space more back air
- retreating SH fair and FH fair onto platforms to remain safe
- fallthrough bair/uair for platform defense/offense
- stay in shield a ton after CG %s, with lots of emphasis on punishing to build damage
- strong ledge pressure/juggling since Wolf has a significant advantage when in these positions so it's okay to be more offensive
- fsmash after every bair that hits the opponent when in combo range
- space even more back air
- jumpshine after every usmash at low/mid %s
- ftbitatk
- after every jab that hits, go to jab2 and then retreat to space more back air
- after every shielded jab/jab2, shine
- standard stuff with grabs etc
- back air all up in this *****

Yeah, I guess. Something like that? Depends I suppose :p

:059:

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I wouldn't know how to describe my style. I try to be really adaptive and mix it up.

Zync

Smash Journeyman
but you have to have some kind of "base" strategy to begin with dont you?
That base strategy changes a LOT with whoever you are facing, really, i can be really agresive like vs marth, but i can turn to a camping ******* vs ROB or MK

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
i'm always ready to run away like a wimp and laser if i'm feeling hassled or uncomfortable

after every whiffed approach i jump shine, its funny how well that stops a lot of characters from punishing you

i approach with AC fairs more than any other move.

i'm incredibly fond of jab and dilt

i tend to throw out more dairs than i should but its satisfying when it hits and leads to some follow ups

at low percents after a falling bair i usually fsmash, sometimes it works, sometimes not ;(

grounded uairs are too fun :D

at low %'s when i land a grab i'll bthrow to AC fair then utilt, it works pretty well actually

utilt to bair/fair is too good

so hmmm... i guess i'm pretty aggro, but caged aggro, the second i lose my momentum i retreat and spam lazers or running til i feel i can handle the situation again

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Hmm, I guess for me...

- Never laser camp unless it's Snake or IC.
- Bair as my aerial approach 80% of the time. The other 20% is Nair and Dair.
- Either shield, Dtilt, or run after the opponent after a low % Dthrow.
- Look for kills with Fair and Bair. Dsmash to kill only if the opponent falls for it.
- Go under the stage on BF or SV at least once a match.
- Go for crazy spikes if I'm losing by a decent margine.
- Use retreating Fairs when I feel threatened.
- Use falling Uairs against tall characters.
- Use ending lag to get my opponent to approach.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I've actually been working on it, I'm no longer such an emo kid :D

Anything new going on with you? Like horrible college preparations? :x lol

Also, yay @ derailing this topic :3

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
It's kay, it was a mod that de-railed it, that makes it acceptable. =) And no not yet, but that's coming up soon, don't worry. Also, college prowler REALLY helped me in choosing colleges, so yeah, thanks a bunch for that resource.

My primary concern is going to be meeting all the deadlines once they start coming up, and then figuring out how the crap to pay for it all haha.

Anyway, back to Wolf kind of... I kinda miss trying to progress his metagame with...Idk what the crap I did to progress Wolf's metagame lol, but I know I did =). I'll try to play more if I can find the time between hanging out with friends, working out and a crapton of homework. I was kinda surprised at how well I still had a feel for Wolf after the wii had been collecting dust on my book shelf for like...quite a few months haha. I looked at some of my old replays and I was like "Whoa, some of the crap I did was amazing...and pretty smart too." I'll see how well I can get back into all that haha.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Great to hear that my information was of service ;D haha the deadlines are... a real pain in the butt :x Rule #1 is don't procrastinate, trust me on this one xD Let me know if you ever have any other questions that I might be able to help out with :)

And yeah, the more people to bring up / discuss topics the merrier, y'know? ;D For the first half of the year you should probably focus more on your classes and whatnot though :< But after that (dead serious about this) high school will be completely meaningless and you'll have plenty of time to do whatever you please ;D Oh man, second semester senior year. Too good :p

AND YES BACK ON TOPIC. I feel like more Wolves should try out somewhat more stallish tactics. Like just running away and bairing through platforms all the time. There was a thread in tactical a while ago about Guaranteed Options, and Wolf definitely has plenty of those to abuse if the player just takes their time with the match. In other words, make the opponent jump into the **** ;D

Orion*

Smash Researcher
So I have seen many vids for years now of Wolf's. No Wolf plays the same. I have played multiple Wolf's on Wi-Fi and offline.

I would like this thread to be a purpose of describing Wolf's style. I'll start by describing the one I know best, my style (aggro).

• Implements Dacus into combos with Dthrow often, as well as Fthrow.
  • Uses multiple retreating fairs.
  • Many grounded uairs as well as platform drop through uairs.
  • Bair wall into landing behind people.
  • Many attempts at approaching with Jumpshine.
  • Many approaches involving Fair.
  • Many attempts at grabbing.
  • Uses side b as an attack whenever possible.
  • Comes on stage a lot with jump, get up attack, or drop shad.
  • Challenges charged moves often rather then doing safer options.
  • Always shines>uairs or shine>other aerial opponents that follow in air.
  • Always follows up Dthrow with running at opponent (percents higher) or Dacus (mid percents).
  • Uses more Ftilt then any other ground move.
  • Utilizes Boost grab and Boost pivot grab to grab opponents.
look at that list and then honestly ask yourself what you can do to place better

it just looks dumb when i read it -.-

and i dont mean to just camp

Judo777

Smash Master
Focus on MU's not styles. Wolf is way to under repped for how good he is. Someone get out there and ****.

inb4Kaincausewealreadyknowaboutu

Choice

Smash Champion
most those style's dont sound good...

especially any of em that say always.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
most those style's dont sound good...

especially any of em that say always.
This is my style and I use lots of always:

always troll the wolf boards
always troll Ishieymoro's facebook
always listen to barracuda drifter
always chase after pretty girls
always make alternate accounts to pretend the wolf boards are more popular than it really is
always make alternate accounts on youtube to keep some videos secret
always try to find special situations where "always" is okay
always bear-roll when situation is appropriate

**Edit**

just realized bear-roll sounds like barrel roll. COINCIDENCE?! I THINK NOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxKRm5JNOrs

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
AND YES BACK ON TOPIC. I feel like more Wolves should try out somewhat more stallish tactics. Like just running away and bairing through platforms all the time. There was a thread in tactical a while ago about Guaranteed Options, and Wolf definitely has plenty of those to abuse if the player just takes their time with the match. In other words, make the opponent jump into the **** ;D

I already do this.

Oddly though, I only do this on wiifail and not offline. :dizzy:

Choice

Smash Champion
i'm amazed the bair roll isnt your phone's ring tone.

you should also always let choice play on your battlenet account for sc2 =)

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i think wolfs should play with mostly baits tbh

his bair = safe pressure yes, but still vs top tiers isnt end all for mus
his air speed is amazing, and abusing that its full extent in combination with careful safe approaches, lasering at a safe distance, or mixup ground games is really annoying to deal with

you can choose to be aggressive and apply pressure doing this, rather than just keep camping, which also makes it very ideal and easy to use against a varying range of styles

castorpollux

Smash Champion
i think wolfs should play with mostly baits tbh

his bair = safe pressure yes, but still vs top tiers isnt end all for mus
his air speed is amazing, and abusing that its full extent in combination with careful safe approaches, lasering at a safe distance, or mixup ground games is really annoying to deal with

you can choose to be aggressive and apply pressure doing this, rather than just keep camping, which also makes it very ideal and easy to use against a varying range of styles
just out of curiosity, what brings you to the wolf boards orion? thinking of picking him up?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
na i wont, i think hes really underrated, but i think he takes to much practice for me to really show his potential if i secondaryd him

i am prolly gonna start using wario a lot tbh

but in general im gonna start visiting more char boards, so that the direction of this game progresses

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
just out of curiosity, what brings you to the wolf boards orion? thinking of picking him up?
Maybe T inspired him to learn about Wolf or that Wolf isn't as bad as people make him seem.

Edit: Nevermind, he posted at the exact same time lol.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
na T didnt really inspire me,

honestly, i think T should either just drop wolf and go all ddd

or maybe drop ddd and go all wolf

idc

id rather him go d3, so i can team w/ him but

im biased

and tipsy

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I never really got what a "style" of Wolf was. I mean, I never knew how to describe mine. I understand there's the aggressive Wolf styles, and then there's the more campy versions... but I feel like if you set how you play to either aggro or defensive...then you're limiting yourself. Wolf can be played effectively both ways, and how effective it is depends on the player, the character, and what they're doing in a particular game.

Could "Do crap until it works" be a style for Wolf? I think that's how I'd describe my style... and seagull, it seemed to me like you just listed a bunch of habits.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
they didnt team at the last tournament they went to and they both where there O.o

but its all good

im gonna team w/ cenel and see how that goes

not a Huge fan of snake in teams but, not really a lot of mks or ddds to make me work uber hard for it

Top Bottom