• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch's Match-Up Chart thread

t3h Icy

Smash Master
As part of the Melee Match-Up Chart thread, I've created a thread for each character board to split up discussion. Currently the Melee chart is based on a collaborative opinion on each match-up, while we're going to slowly move towards spreading the discussion.

For now, the Melee Match-Up Chart will represent both sides of what the boards think, so for example, the Fox boards and the Falco boards will both have their respective opinions listed on the chart, so (for example) Fox may be 50:50, while Falco may be 55:45. This will be similar to Rajam's style for the current Brawl chart, which seems to be working well and staying accurate. Perhaps afterward, we can try to trim things down to one value for each match-up, but that will be a step in the future.

Currently, there is no order in which to discuss match-ups, but I may guide them if needed.

This topic is for Game and Watch's match-ups. The format is the standard 0-100 (including 5s). Any opinions are helpful and appreciated, and once there's a consensus for a match-up, I'll add it to the match-up chart.

Thanks.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I second G&W in this game. I guess I'll get this topic started.

IMO:

Fox 3/7
Sheik 2/8
Falco 3/7
Marth 35/65
Jiggs 3/7
Falcon 45/55
Peach 3/7
Ganon 4/6
ICs 3/7
Samus 4/6
Doc 5/5
Mario 5/5
Luigi 55/45
Donkey Kong 5/5
Pikachu 5/5
Young Link 5/5
Link 5/5
Mewtwo 6/4
Yoshi 5/5
Roy 55/45
Ness 6/4
Kirby 7/3
Bowser 65/35
Pichu 65/35

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
imo mr g&w ***** young link. silly boy doesnt have a chance. dtilt combos hurt him more than any other char

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hmmmm, well that's nice to know. At any rate my matchup opinions were done pretty quickly, and there's a number of matchups I haven't played that much. Also can you chaingrab Young Link? I'm pretty sure G&W can chaingrab Link, but I haven't played the YL matchup as much.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Fox 70 - 30 (Extensively discussed)
Sheik 80 - 20
Falco 70 - 30
Marth 60 - 40 (We already have a massive recent discussion in the thread)
Jiggs 60 - 40
Falcon 55 - 45
Peach 60 - 40
Ganon 65 - 35
ICs 65 - 35 (dont' know this matchup)
Samus 65 - 35 (I play zelda vs samus so i dont' know too well)
Doc 60 - 40 (W/O port priority, with 55 - 45)
Mario 55 - 45
Luigi 50 - 50
Donkey Kong 50 - 50
Pikachu 45 - 55
Young Link 40 - 60
Link 55 - 45 (I might just suck but link is kinda rough)
Mewtwo 45 - 55
Yoshi 45 - 55
Roy 35 - 65 (it's terrible for roy if you stay in range of only his tippers and doesn't afriad of anything)
Ness 35 - 65
Kirby 15 - 85 (yes, it's this bad imo, kirby shoudl NEVER get inside and never recover)
Bowser 30 - 70 (up-b OoS can be avoided with good spacing, but it works well if they can trip your spacing up... still terrible for him)
Pichu 30-70

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
It's boring... there's 3 freaking pika mains in my state. Just don't get grabbed and watch out for the "random" usmash/fsmash and they can't kill you. If they know what they're doing nair doesn't really work against their recovery as much as you'd think. However if tehy dont' know how to recover vs G&W it works well. Be careful of reverse tailspike from ledge (ledge hop uair pulling you off stage) and ledge hop nair from pika can be kinda rough.

dthrow hammer works, but since i have the worst hammer luck in the world i tend to go for dthrow weak dair nair combos =p.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think Link is pretty easy for G&W personally. You can chaingrab him and outmaneuver him pretty well. His throw combos on you are kinda dumb and getting edgeguarded always sucks, but I believe G&W can kill Link faster than the other way around provided you get that grab and edgeguard well. G&W edgeguards Link pretty well at any rate.

j00t

Smash Champion
Link is 60/40 in Link's favor... I find it hard to avoid some of Link's projectiles, and Link can combo GnW just as well as GnW can combo Link...

Pika vs. GnW is pretty even. The only thing you have to worry about with GnW is dying at 80% to upsmash :p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Link is slow though, you can just bait him all day and wait for an opening, and what you have on him out of grab is probably better than his combos on you (although his kills out of throw are a bit more reliable). You have a legit chaingrab that ends with him offstage and in position to be gimped.

And Link's projectiles aren't very hard to avoid in singles. His Boomerang and arrows can be hit through as I recall. And if you have guts, you can catch Bombs and potentially use them better than he can with the idea that you have generally better combo enders. His projectiles are mainly a threat when he has you making an "unnecessary" approach or when you're offstage.

All in all while he can be annoyingly hard to approach, you don't really have to stress out about this matchup. Take it slow and punish hard when the opportunity comes.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
I've always had more trouble with Pika than Link.

Also, for the record, I would MUCH rather go against a Peach than a Falcon. Peach/GaW feels like 60/40 while a dash-dancing, grounded cautious Falcon ****S GaW royally. Yes, GaW can **** Falcon up if he gets a hit but Falcon does the same thing and it's more reliable and flexible than GaW's. He also has a MUCH easier time landing solid hits.

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
First, Fox seems to be the standard higher tier match-up at 70-30. I'll agree.

Based off of that ^ I have to agree on Falcon fu cking Mr G&W royally. 65-35. It is nearly as hard as playing Fox (if not equally as hard).

Falco on the other hand is waaay more difficult. I dont know what Falcos yall play but the matchup is at least 80-20 in his favor. No doubt. Falco IS harder than Fox.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno, the threat of fullhop D-air alone makes me think Falcon has to actually work against G&W. His best moves for punishing it aren't really going to lead to much if you space it well. And on hit, D-air's reward warrants the risk as far as I'm concerned. It's really only hard to corner him on larger stages as far as I'm concerned, and your approaches aren't unsafe as long as they're spaced on his shield.

And I dunno, I dislike Peach more under the impression that you really can't edgeguard her that well, and she also edgeguards you better.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
peach i don't have much of an issue with as long as you keep aggressive on her. Falcon i've never had issues with. It's not bad at all if you know how to deal with their approaches. My roomie says hi G&W boards.

Top Bottom