• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Match-Up Chart thread

t3h Icy

Smash Master
As part of the Melee Match-Up Chart thread, I've created a thread for each character board to split up discussion. Currently the Melee chart is based on a collaborative opinion on each match-up, while we're going to slowly move towards spreading the discussion.

For now, the Melee Match-Up Chart will represent both sides of what the boards think, so for example, the Fox boards and the Falco boards will both have their respective opinions listed on the chart, so (for example) Fox may be 50:50, while Falco may be 55:45. This will be similar to Rajam's style for the current Brawl chart, which seems to be working well and staying accurate. Perhaps afterward, we can try to trim things down to one value for each match-up, but that will be a step in the future.

Currently, there is no order in which to discuss match-ups, but I may guide them if needed.

This topic is for Mario's match-ups. The format is the standard 0-100 (including 5s). Any opinions are helpful and appreciated, and once there's a consensus for a match-up, I'll add it to the match-up chart.

Thanks.

j3ly

Smash Champion
mod can close this now cos we just started one like 2 days ago ^^

still think its pointless though, none of us on this boards place in the top 3/4 apart from myself, and i only place in the UK >_>

not enough pro's to give a proper average pool of advise. but we can try, nd this dont need to be here

reply to next post - nice.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
ya idk. I think he wants this thread to just be our conclusions on mus. like we just post of final mu percents here and discuss in the other thread

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
psh he's gonna tell us to camp
DJ your a little *****
and if you're ever on long island come smash with me lol
Actually, I don't even camp anymore. I play aggressive while still being counter-defensive. Mad people don't understand my old play style or my play style now and just call it camping. I ain't gonna lie though. I used to camp back then mad hard lol. I can easily go back to my roots if someone really deserved it. I've made someone cry in tournament before because of my camping. I'm not gonna say the name lol. I ain't proud of that but its whatever.

Anyway, what I mean by counter-defensive is that I like to wait for the right opportunity to go in on my opponent and try to go ballistic lol. I wait to go in and punish mistakes or laggy moves. For example, the Marth matchup is not a match where Mario just goes in with his fists flying since Marth has so much range and can play really safe. So in that matchup, I try to either bait the Marth to perform a laggy move so I can get inside or use my fireballs to help me approach. There has to be alot of different mixups in that match for Mario to get to Marth. One way you got it probably won't work the next time since its easier for Marth to shut down Mario's approaches. Once Mario does, he can give him mad love.

If I'm ever in Long Island, I'll play you.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
got any recent vids? I searched u on youtube and only found some of your doc in teams.
from what you're saying it sounds like you're patient. kinda like hugs. thats cool. I just remember watching a vid of you back in 07-08 and you threw a **** ton of fireballs...although I remember you used dair in a creative way. since it's got a good priority on it, you would throw it out just incase they wanted to approach. definetly good defensive option

t3h Icy

Smash Master
ya idk. I think he wants this thread to just be our conclusions on mus. like we just post of final mu percents here and discuss in the other thread
Yeah I realize you guys already have a thread, so if you guys prefer, you can just dump numbers here and that would work fine. =)

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
got any recent vids? I searched u on youtube and only found some of your doc in teams.
from what you're saying it sounds like you're patient. kinda like hugs. thats cool. I just remember watching a vid of you back in 07-08 and you threw a **** ton of fireballs...although I remember you used dair in a creative way. since it's got a good priority on it, you would throw it out just incase they wanted to approach. definetly good defensive option
Thanks for the compliments :) I definitely did used to throw mad fireballs back then lol. I recorded a match of my Mario against Lambchops that I'll put up soon. I haven't entered a tournament in a good while. I barely get recorded but when I return to tournament, hopefully that will change.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Does anyone know the Mod thats supposed to moderate us (the mario boards)? I would like to make a couple of changes for the mario boards. They are not big but they are significant. J3ly if you get any idea for helping the mario boards get at me. Its time for us to become more legit as a board.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
Does anyone know the Mod thats supposed to moderate us (the mario boards)? I would like to make a couple of changes for the mario boards. They are not big but they are significant. J3ly if you get any idea for helping the mario boards get at me. Its time for us to become more legit as a board.
dogysamich used to be our moderator, but he stepped down as a mod because of the doc boards mostly (haha smashboards gossip) so right now we just have 127_mic or whatever his name is. right now we are moderator-less basically

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
im going to look around to see if I can get someone to be assigned to us. if you have any ideas on how to make the mario boards better shoot me a pm or something.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
awesome hacks.

and awesome mario
DJ you hould be our mod. Does anyone play mario better than you?

also
I saw you use upb a lot. is it that good? or did u do it to throw of his sheild pressure?

j3ly

Smash Champion
it works well on YS cos there is minimum lag on the platforms. its good and fast, does great % but might get u punished horribly. djn did it well tho

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
yeah from what i saw, he has a pretty legit mario. we play a little different from each other so some of the options he had i would have done different.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
too good...need...more....
and those hacks were legit!
Thanks! I'll try to record more with Chops and other people. I'll record me using Mario in teams too.

awesome hacks.

and awesome mario
DJ you hould be our mod. Does anyone play mario better than you?

also
I saw you use upb a lot. is it that good? or did u do it to throw of his sheild pressure?
Thanks! I don't know about me being a Mod lol. I probably end up doing a horrible job lol. Once again, I don't know about the better Mario player either. Even if there are some Mario players who are better than me, I could care less. I'm just trying my best, having fun with the game, and helping people out with my knowledge and skill of Mario.

I use Mario's up-B pretty much the same way as I and others use Bowser's up-B or Samus's up-B outta shield. Its gonna to finish a combo if you can't reach anymore with another attack but still want to add a bit more damage and yes, to escape shield pressure.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I like the new sexy one better lol. I noticed you ledgehopped a uair against his upb. that was awesome. ive never even thought of that but its faster than bair isnt it.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
your cool but if you added just a little bit Uthrows, you would be awesome. id like to play/MM you if we ever get the chance.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
nah let people think what they want, it makes it so much more satisfying when they go "god **** i never seen that before". I hear it all the time, I actually enjoy it now.

strike 1 lord

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
your cool but if you added just a little bit Uthrows, you would be awesome. id like to play/MM you if we ever get the chance.
Thanks I guess. My Mario or playing style in general is different from almost everyone else's. The person I've been referred to for years is Azen. He's my favorite smasher of all-time. My style is mostly about mindgames and super planned out setups. My style is also extremely weird since most people can't figure out what I'm doing or gonna do many times. So of course you and I are gonna be doing different things during certain situations. I don't play the game to look cool or do cool things. If something I do looks mad cool or awesome to people, then thats whats up. If not, then oh well. I play to learn, try my best to win, and have fun with the game.

Anyway, I'll play or money match you whenever we get the chance. Its up to you.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
ill try to catch a ride with lain if he ever goes to a NY tourney.

That would have been perfect if someone were interviewing you lol

Top Bottom