• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link's Match-Up Chart thread

t3h Icy

Smash Master
As part of the Melee Match-Up Chart thread, I've created a thread for each character board to split up discussion. Currently the Melee chart is based on a collaborative opinion on each match-up, while we're going to slowly move towards spreading the discussion.

For now, the Melee Match-Up Chart will represent both sides of what the boards think, so for example, the Fox boards and the Falco boards will both have their respective opinions listed on the chart, so (for example) Fox may be 50:50, while Falco may be 55:45. This will be similar to Rajam's style for the current Brawl chart, which seems to be working well and staying accurate. Perhaps afterward, we can try to trim things down to one value for each match-up, but that will be a step in the future.

Currently, there is no order in which to discuss match-ups, but I may guide them if needed.

This topic is for Young Link's match-ups. The format is the standard 0-100 (including 5s). Any opinions are helpful and appreciated, and once there's a consensus for a match-up, I'll add it to the match-up chart.

Thanks.

Laijin

Smash Hero
The way I weighted this was by ratios(As they are ratios). For example, in my opinion Fox vs Peach is 60-40. That means Peach 40 out of 100 times against Fox. That means in a set, it is likely that Peach will lose 2-1'ed by the Fox player. Keep this in mind when reading this match up chart.

80-20
40-60
70-30
35-65
30-70
45-55
70-30
45-55
47-53
70-30
52-48
45-55
50-50
45-55
40-60
70-30
70-30
55-45
70-30
50-50
60-40
45-55(I'm really not sure about this match up at all lol)
35-65
-----
70-30
60-40

Laijin

Smash Hero
I suppose we can use my post as the overall shared opinions of all of us and i'll edit according to what we discuss. =)
So you can have a good basis on what we think as a group, Icy

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I already know why Sheik is considered ezmode for this character but I still find it funny :laugh:

I think it's easier than 60-40 for Sheik. But I don't really play against Young Link players at big tournaments.

Oh wait. I do.

:laugh:

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
suprisingly my ylink did better against all my friends chars except his peach...wtf. i kilt his falcon. bad. eh. idk. he kinda beasted me with peach. im probably playin it wrong tho

t3h Icy

Smash Master
So why is Young Link 40:60 Sheik? =P

Young Link can't be chaingrabbed I believe, but does he have enough to avoid getting wrecked still?

Laijin

Smash Hero
So why is Young Link 40:60 Sheik? =P

Young Link can't be chaingrabbed I believe, but does he have enough to avoid getting wrecked still?
I thought 40-60 WAS bad. >__>
I'm under the impression that 40-60 is pretty bad, and 30-70 is pretty much unwinnable. I just noticed these numbers sure are really subjective. So do I have the right idea about these scores? lol

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Laijin

Just for reference most fox/falco/falcon players consider the falcon vs spacy matchups to be either 65:35 or 60:40. I think that's can give a pretty good idea of how winnable/unwinnable numbers like those are... I mean everyone has a different opinion anyway, but I think those are close enough to a consensus xD

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I really, really hope people don't overuse this example but...

50:50 is Fox/Marth
55:45 is Fox/Sheik
70:30 is like Sheik/Luigi
10:90 is like Roy/ICs (in my opinion)
0:100 is like Pichu/Sheik

At least the way I see it.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
lol Scar likes to seriously underrate falcon. we like to be overly optimistic maybe. I lol everytime somebody says falcon is a horrible char with bad mus...and then he triple uairs into knee.

it's hard to believe that falcon has less of a chance against fox than mario...

rhan

Smash Hero
80-20
43-57
62-38
30-70
35-65
53-47
74-26
45-55
46-54
70-30
47-53
45-55
50-50
46-54
36-64
70-30
58-42
47-53
90-10
53-47
63-47
47-53
31-69
-----
65-35
60-40

Stole Laijin's template. Made my tweaks to it.

I like to get real technical.

I can go into detail why I feel so on these match-ups and give my personal experience from each.

rhan

Smash Hero
I would like to believe that. It's hard to tell sometimes. Falcon isn't that hard to play against because the same strat works every time against anything he has to throw at us.

But Falcon pretty much pokes at us and get a crazy *** combo. It's like playing Tekken against Falcon. You get hit and you get combo'ed to death.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Falcon can be so frustrating. I work so hard to take off stocks, but then he comes out of no where and evens it up with one combo. I rage quit once.... :(

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik Young Link favours Sheik 70

I think Fox is favoured 75 or 80

Peach is 55-45 for her, but even is understandable

I don't care about other characters

GaW is like 60 you guys I think

Laijin

Smash Hero

60? Really? GaW has more options?
I think its more like 70-30.

Young Link has options against Fox, its just most of them are not very great options. Its more like at the very least 35-65 Fox. Same vs Sheik.
An 80-20 match up or a 75-25 is more like the opposing character is nearly defenseless and has no options for anything.

I do think vs Peach at the very least is even.

rhan

Smash Hero
I mean sheik 65, sorry lol.
Thought so.

Thats pretty specific dood. lol. I'll change my match ups later
I like specifics... and numbers... they turn me on.

YL v Sheik is pretty bad.

YL v Peach is definitely in her favor by a small margin. Between 55 - 50 is anything I'll agree on.

G&W is can't do much against projectiles.. And if we grab him it's a free follow up with anything.

60? Really? GaW has more options?
I think its more like 70-30.

Young Link has options against Fox, its just most of them are not very great options. Its more like at the very least 35-65 Fox. Same vs Sheik.
An 80-20 match up or a 75-25 is more like the opposing character is nearly defenseless and has no options for anything.

I do think vs Peach at the very least is even.
You can definitely do more in Young Link v Fox then you can with Young Link v Falco. Falco pretty much stuns us with his lasers and follows up with the many options out of his arsenal.

And with YL v Peach... you obviously haven't played against Doll/D'oh. And they're not even that known of Peach players. I get ***** by Doll in the match up. But I do manage to get him down to 1 stock here and there.

D'oh did work on my at Pound 4. RC was watching the matches. It was about even all the way through. But Peach has better bait options. ***** can just sit there and if you try to go for it expect top get D-Smashed.

Laijin

Smash Hero

You can definitely do more in Young Link v Fox then you can with Young Link v Falco. Falco pretty much stuns us with his lasers and follows up with the many options out of his arsenal.

And with YL v Peach... you obviously haven't played against Doll/D'oh. And they're not even that known of Peach players. I get ***** by Doll in the match up. But I do manage to get him down to 1 stock here and there.

D'oh did work on my at Pound 4. RC was watching the matches. It was about even all the way through. But Peach has better bait options. ***** can just sit there and if you try to go for it expect top get D-Smashed.
And this is where we disagree.
I find the Falco match up to be A LOT easier than the Fox match up. Fox is pretty much way too fast and doesn't have many vulnerabilities while Falco can't really deal with much that comes above his head. His lasers? Dude. Just jump over them and throw a bomb at him lol. Just make sure to not pick FD and you will have an easier time vs Falco than with Fox.

I wish Doll would come to more MD/VA tournaments. T___T I was surprised to find out he lives in our region(NoVA/Richmond?) and I have never seen him at a tournament.

Can't really argue much vs Peach since I have not played any good peachs with my YL recently.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I know what Rhan is talking about. if the peach just waits and is really patient she can **** you up. if she floating around we can do whatever we want. also dont be too hasty when shes floating over a platform to jump up there. cuz she'll drop...and dsmash instantly. and it will beat ylink. best thing to do is play her on fd or poke. not sure about Rainbow tho...havent played it there.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
DK vs YLink is even, so is Ganon.

Falco is 60-40 tops. He's way easier then Fox. If I had to go off bias opinion, I'd say it's 55 or even. Yes, I just said that!

Fox is prolly 75-25.

YLink beats Samus better then Peach. So w/e you say for Peach, add 10 for Samus.

rhan

Smash Hero
And this is where we disagree.
I find the Falco match up to be A LOT easier than the Fox match up. Fox is pretty much way too fast and doesn't have many vulnerabilities while Falco can't really deal with much that comes above his head. His lasers? Dude. Just jump over them and throw a bomb at him lol. Just make sure to not pick FD and you will have an easier time vs Falco than with Fox.

I wish Doll would come to more MD/VA tournaments. T___T I was surprised to find out he lives in our region(NoVA/Richmond?) and I have never seen him at a tournament.

Can't really argue much vs Peach since I have not played any good peachs with my YL recently.
Falco is just such a combo *****. Yeah it's easy to kill him once you get him in that position but it's just so **** difficult to get him there... I hate it..! >_<

Lasers shuts down using any projectiles to get him off guard.. I don't know what else I'm suppose to do then...

Also Doll doesn't travel that often to tourneys but he should. I only got recently like get to know him like over the Summer. He's sooo good with Peach and without a doubt best Peach I played against and seen. Armada ain't got **** on him. Also he's in Richmond. Played when I went up there to play Tope n Cy.

I know what Rhan is talking about. if the peach just waits and is really patient she can **** you up. if she floating around we can do whatever we want. also dont be too hasty when shes floating over a platform to jump up there. cuz she'll drop...and dsmash instantly. and it will beat ylink. best thing to do is play her on fd or poke. not sure about Rainbow tho...havent played it there.
It's not that at all. A really technical Peach can wreck face and really throw a player off their game. I was in shock to see that Peach has some techskill within her.

It's slightly in her favor by a small margin though in my opinion. Her baits are just so queer.

ehh....sorry. ylink destroys dk
*Co-Signs*

Play a good DK :)
You wanna go NJ? :)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
There's a bunch of characters that you two (Rhan/Laijin) are both agreed about, but I can get some elaborations before I put them up?

Kirby, ICs, Mario, Luigi, Doc, Mewtwo, Roy, Samus, Yoshi and Zelda.

Just so people that aren't aware of everything about Young Link can read up if they're curious why the match-ups are the way they are.

n_n

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Apparently when you choose DK, the jump button and control stick malfunctions :(

Top Bottom