• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revisiting the Hylian Desync - A Technical Analysis

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Revisiting the Hylian Desync
A Technical Analysis

Recently, I’ve been giving Ice Climbers a lot of focus. With RoboCop around the corner, I’ve been doing a lot of hardcore training in the past weeks, and while a lot of it was pounding away at the most common faults in my gameplay (read: a LOT of chaingrabbing practice), thanks to Lux constantly pestering me I’ve also been doing a fair amount of testing. More recently, he’s been pestering me to play around with the Hylian Desync based on the theory that it’s actually just a specific other desync (we’ll get to that in a bit).

I’m not fully certain how well the Hylian Desync has survived the test of time, so all of this might be a misplaced effort, but the purpose of this thread is to analyse the Hylian Desync and a couple of others mechanically related to it, understand exactly what makes these desyncs tick, and then abuse this knowledge to raise consistency.

The last point I feel is important (and is a main motivator for this thread), because my consistency with the Hylian Desync skyrocketed after I understood exactly what was happening on a per-frame basis: I literally went from 1-in-20 success to a 90% success rate without putting in any practice whatsoever, just understanding how the desync worked and changing “what I was shooting for” accordingly. If anyone else was like me and couldn’t get it down consistently, or just didn’t bother learning it, I believe this analysis will be of tremendous help.

For each desync I will give a visual representation (pretty animations!), the frame data to perform the desync, then discuss what’s going on behind the scenes. The frame data will come in the form of input maps (see the end of this post if you have trouble understanding them). The rest should be self-explanatory. Any side notes will be in small text.

Enough of that, let’s start with the Turnaround Desync.

The Turnaround Desync

00 : 00 : Dash Back (hold stick)
01 : 98 : Release Stick, press B
There is a single significant mechanic in play here, and that is namely the mechanic where Nana flips to copy the direction Popo is facing. But to understand why this is significant, we need to understand how a dash turnaround works.

Essentially, when you tap the other way to dash in the opposite direction, you experience 1 frame of lag where Popo is, well, turning around. After this, he simply dashes identically to a forward dash. This is why all the windows for rolling, FSmashing, etc. in the backward direction have a 1-frame larger window compared to doing them forward. However, if you do none of these things, Popo will simply dash. It’s important to note that if you tap back and release the stick after exactly 1 frame, Popo will turn around but not dash.

Because of Nana’s direction-copying mechanic, she will flip to copy Popo’s facing before ever experiencing this 1 frame of turnaround, and she is thus immediately thrust into a dash. Because she is stuck in this dash, but Popo isn’t, Popo is free to do what he pleases as long as it doesn’t involve the Attack button, and that is the basis of this desync and the desyncs to come.

As a side note, Nana will flip to copy Popo’s direction 3 frames after she sees he’s facing the other way (her input delay behind Popo is 5 frames, and she is therefore flipped on frame 4 of the Turnaround Desync, 1 frame before she would have experienced her turnaround).

The Reverse Initial Dash Desync

00 : 00 : Dash Back (hold stick)
02 : 96 : Release Stick
11 : 81 : Press B
The Reverse Initial Dash Desync introduces one more important mechanic to the mix: Buffering. This is the desync Lux thought the Hylian Desync actually was - and he was half right!

Now, the fundamental reason the Climbers desync in this case is the same as the Turnaround Desync – Nana fails to experience her turnaround, causing her to be 1 frame ahead of Popo after accounting for her delay. This time, Popo opts to dash with her instead of acting on the advantage immediately. But where does buffering come into this?

Both Climbers each have a 10-frame buffer, the same as any other character. Because Nana is now 1 frame ahead of Popo, if she buffers an action (again, excluding Attack-button commands) on exactly the first frame of her buffer window, when the buffer takes affect she will perform the action. Popo won’t, however, because he never actually buffered anything in the first place, causing him to be free to do whatever.

In case you need further explanation, let’s make this concept more visual. Imagine a set of blocks, each representing one frame, that each Climber must go through in their action queue:

Popo - [02][01][00][01][02][03][04][05][06][07][08][09][10][11][12][13]
Nana - [01][00][01][02][03][04][05][06][07][08][09][10][11][12][13][14]

Purple represents “active” blocks, or buffering blocks
Green represents the block the buffered action takes affect
Grey represents dead/insignificant blocks

As you can see, Nana gets to access her first active block one block before Popo does, and as a result she gets to have her move come out one block ahead if she wishes. Because you tell both Climbers what to do with their blocks simultaneously, telling Nana to use her first active block means you’re also telling Popo to do something with a block that he simply cannot.

The Hylian Desync

00 : 00 : Dash Back
02 : 96 : Release Stick
12 : 80 : Press B (window start)
21 : 65 : Press B (window end)
22 : 63 : Dash (any direction)
With the Hylian Desync, we introduce no new mechanics. On the surface it even looks the same as the Reverse Initial Dash Desync! However, behind the scenes something different is going on, and here we abuse one of the previous mechanics in a different way, the mechanic of course being Buffering.

Consider this: What happens when you spot dodge, and buffer an action near the end? Obviously, that action will be performed. But what if you input a different action exactly 1 frame after the last frame of the spot dodge? The new action will override the buffered action and will be performed instead. In addition to the concepts introduced previously, this is the basis of the Hylian Desync.

If, instead of buffering an action on the single frame Nana can and Popo cannot, you buffer the action (with the same criteria as before) even 1 frame later, then both Climbers will perform that action at the end of their dashes. However, let’s say you input a different action 1 frame after Popo’s buffer window.

This causes Nana to perform the buffered action (she’s one frame ahead, so the frame after Popo’s buffer window is 2 frame after Nana’s window, or in other words 1 frame after Nana’s buffered action takes affect), but Popo of course will not because he has another action overriding his buffer.

This is commonly a dash, because it has the widest utility in real matches. However, Popo can cancel the buffer with any action he wishes, including those involving the Attack button (unlike before). Obviously, as long as it has a different duration to the move Nana is doing, it will cause a significant desync.

In Summary

So, how can we use this knowledge to make performing the Hylian Desync easier?

Before, the common method was to turnaround into dash, and then only at the very end of the dash input an action and then the second dash. This created the illusion of technical difficulty.

Now we know we have a full 10 frames in which we can input Nana’s action, followed by a second input on a precise frame. This reduces the number of precise inputs from 2 to 1, obviously with a huge gain in ease of execution.

And I believe that covers the essentials. Feel free to ask me about any details you need elaborated on, I'm here all week.

Appendix

A Note on Input Maps

Input maps are presented in the following syntax:

Frame : Timer : Action

The Frame is the number of frame relative to the overall duration of the action the input map is describing. The first input is always on Frame 0 because you have to input that the frame before anything happens. Similarly, all inputs will be recorded the frame before they are executed on screen, because the input is read by the game at the end of the frame before the action takes place.

The Timer is what the milliseconds part of the clock should look like if you start the inputs on the frame a full minute is shown on the clock (e.g., 5:00 00).

The Action is, of course, what’s happening during the input sequence. This can be anything the game is doing in response to inputs, or it can be the inputs themselves. For the sake of brevity, input maps in this thread will only include the actual inputs.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Alright, I want to make a couple of points when I discuss this for purposes of organization. For clarity, the Dash Bounce Desync aka Hylian will be called DBD and the Reverse Initial Dash Desync will be called RID.

1. The DBD and the RID can both be used to instant popo IB chase. Aka, nana does the action first. The IB comes out at the same time when comparing the two for frame advantage.

2. However, the DBD windows of input requires a semi loose window followed by a tight window. On the other hand, the RID requires only a tight window.

3. The tight window for the RID input occurs at the beginning of the semiloose input window of the DBD. During the comparatively equal time period of the semi loose window of the DBD, the RID requires no inputs at all.

4. Therefore, I conclude that if they are both equal in difficulty to execute (one frame window of opportunity), the RID has to be considered a superior desyncing option.

Why?

Frame advantage on the moves themselves is not an issue here if I'm not mistaken. However, the fact that a DBD requires an additional buffer moves that a RID does not means that a player is forced to do an action they wouldn't otherwise be forced to do if they simply RID'd. For example, let's say your intent is to IB chase out of either desync. If you DBD, you are committed to dashing out of the desync, regardless if your opponent chases you because the 10 frame window difference is less than the 13 frames of normal human reaction time.

However, in the case of the RID, you can opt to not chase out of the desync and do nothing, because waiting that reactive 13 frames on an IB chase would be negligible difference in terms of spacing when following an IB.

This doesn't take into account the ergonomic logistics. I am fairly certain it's easier to be frame perfect with a button stroke rather than a control stick stroke. But I don't have any sources for that. It's just a gut feeling on my part. This is only a factor when DBD uses dash as the desyncing agent. It's not a factor when it uses any other mechanic like shield or attack inputs.

As shown by Zero, it's possible to do a DSC in the desync when using it out of the RID. I'm not sure if it's possible with a DBD.

TLDR: In my opinion, RID is a superior desync to DBD because of the extra option it provides a player.

Other stuff of note:

YOU CANNOT DBD OUT OF A FORWARD INITIAL DASH. This limits the theoretic versatility of the desync severely because you have to keep in mind what direction the climbers are originally facing.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wow that is really useful stuff, thanks a ton!

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
now, what makes the Hylian desync better or more useful than a kakera desync, or the desync swordgard does (have we named it?) but without the jump? i mean if you do it without the jump it looks almost exactly the same and its way easier to do.

in other words, why should i learn to do this?

DeLux

now, what makes the Hylian desync better or more useful than a kakera desync, or the desync swordgard does (have we named it?) but without the jump? i mean if you do it without the jump it looks almost exactly the same and its way easier to do.

in other words, why should i learn to do this?
The Kakera desync can only be done in one direction. It requires a RID followed by a dash back, followed by an IB. A RID or DBD can be followed with EITHER a dash back or a forward foxtrot dash, doubling your chasing options. If you watch the videos, there is a clear spacing disadvantage to the Kak desync that isn't present in the RID or DBD. Also, there is a clear frame advantage, close to 21 frames for the RID and DBD over the Kakera desync. Meaning a player has 13 frames + 8 more to react normally.

What is the Swordgard desync?

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
basically kakera desync without any shielding or any action from popo

basically dash back, dash forward, nana iceblocks/blizzards leaving popo open to do anything

swordgard jumps though

DeLux

Oh. I thought that was how Kakera normally did the desync. I believe SG jumps because he uses a bstick input. Which is funny to mention because you can't bstick buffer moves while dashing, so you can't DBD or RID with a bstick unless I'm mistaken.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
basically kakera desync without any shielding or any action from popo

basically dash back, dash forward, nana iceblocks/blizzards leaving popo open to do anything

swordgard jumps though
wtf, its not a new desynch. Its just a delayed dash dance pivot to make nana do the move. =/

DeLux

So I recently discovered a quasi functional method of performing the RID/DBD out of a forward initial dash. Actually, it can be performed out of both a dash and a run and in either direction. In purist scrutiny, it's actually not a true DBD, but a RID out of a shield cancel dash. Yes, it's DSC related.

The input will look like this:

Dash/Run > Shield Cancel > Shield Drop > Reverse Initial Dash Roll Cancel Desync that I posted about in the desync thread causing popo to roll and nana to Dash > During the difference of buffer times between roll cool down and dash cool down, buffer a nana special blizzard or iceshot > chase with popo after the rolling animation is down.

In shorthand: DSC > RIDRC Desync > Special > Grab Setup achieved

In reality, it trades 7 frames of start up time because of the shield drop and 10 frames of popo action time because of the roll. However, the 10 frame start up trade is negligible in the sense that an added benefit is that Popo gains invincibility frames from the roll, and you have to wait for Nana to IB anyway which if I'm not mistaken from a frame perfect standpoint means you STILL have to wait 5 frames even after the roll is completed. At the same time, the 7 frames of start up are spent in DSC slide, so the spacing helps negate negative effects as well.

The only con that I can really see is that this functionality STILL requires a dash back. So while you can do a forward initial dash to begin, the second dashing input MUST be reverse or else it doesn't work. Still, it's a step up to the situational flexibility of the other desyncs in this thread imo.

I will post a ghetto video of it when I get the chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEb7raIAb1w

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
i still fail to see how any of this is more useful than kakeras desync or the weird one that looks like kakeras desync that swordgard does but without jumping which im now just going to call "that desync where you dash one direction, then the other and nana ice blocks or blizzards leaving popo open to do anything"
Shortened to TDWYDODTTOANIBOB-desynch

DeLux

i still fail to see how any of this is more useful than kakeras desync or the weird one that looks like kakeras desync that swordgard does but without jumping which im now just going to call "that desync where you dash one direction, then the other and nana ice blocks or blizzards leaving popo open to do anything"
Shortened to TDWYDODTTOANIBOB-desynch
Ok, in terms of metagame things, I tend to compare things with criteria with as few variables as possible. Usually that means comparing for frame advantage and spacing advantage, along with punishing power. For grab setups, the punishing power is all the same because ideally a grab should equal a kill. With desyncs, because of the strict requirements of execution, there often times a feasibility advantage, but that usually boils down to a matter of opinion.

For clarity, I will refer to the RIDDesync as the RIDD and the Reverse initial dash as RID. KakD is the shorthand for Kakera Desync. DBD is the Hylian Desync.

To answer your question, I will use the previously mentioned criteria to see if it will help answer your question.

The DBD/RIDD has about a 21 frame advantage over the Kakera desync. The issues is the additional dash animation that Nana has to take before IB/Blizzard to create the chasing effect. Obviously you can't do the grab setup until Nana does the move. Nana is able to perform an action 21 frames earlier with they Hylian and Reverse initial dash than she is with the Kakera Desync. So clearly the DBD/RID are superior in that regard for frame superiority.

Even more revealing is the spacing contrast. The 21 frames of delay in the KakD in comparison to the DBD/RIDD has nana in a dash animation. That means that in order to pull off a KakD, you have to move yourself one dash animation closer to your enemy that you don't necessarily have to do with the DBD/RIDD. At the same time, you have to wait longer for the IB/Blizzard to chase because of the same spacing, adding even more delay time. So in terms of safe spacing, the DBD/RIDD are superior to the KakD.

Another spacing issues is that the DBD and RIDD can both be done completely streamlined. You can RID and then follow that with a Forward Initial Dash OR another RID. However, the KakD REQUIRES that a players RID followed by another RID. It will not work any other way. So in terms of spacing options, the DBD/RIDD is a superior play to the KakD.

The same issue is in play for the video I just posted above. With the use of the RIDRCD out of a DSC, it effectively acts the same as a KakD, but allows the player to not have to worry about the direction of the first initial dash. So you have at your disposal either an FID or an RID into a grab setup, instead of only the RID as an option with the KakD. So again, based on options, the RIDRCD out of DSC is superior to the KakD.

To be objective, the KakD would win the feasibility comparison against the other three desyncs because of its ease of use. But again, I feel that this is the weakest of the comparison criteria because it's a very player dependent variable.

I hope this answers your question.

To be honest, this is all just nitpicking towards getting to the highest level of play. If you have great success with the KakD and it's an integral part of your gameplay style, then you are probably best served by using that. Having to choose between the two options during gameplay totally defeats the purpose of the research in my opinion. It is more so that if you don't have an attachment and want the most ideal option, then you would go to these desyncs where you would go to a KakD.

Edit: I actually feel the DSC > RIDRC grab setup might be just as easy to perform as the KakD because it has a 5 frame window of opportunity specificity. I'm not sure what the total is on the KakD though, so I'm not going to be definitive on that.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Just a short note: "Dashbounce Desync" is an obsolete name because it was based on my assumption that the Hylian desync needed to be wavebounced, which obviously isn't the case. It's actually kinda confusing for me now to see it referred to with that name. >.<

It'll be getting a new name when I update the desync thread.

I'll post again with a more complete response when I get home, I'm currently on my way to the airport posting by phone, heh.

Top Bottom