• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The MMA thread. Lesnar is out. TOO MANY INJURIES!

Gaara♥

Smash Master
I created this thread to discuss past, current, and future UFC, WEC, Strikeforce, and Dream MMA events. Please be courteous to other peoples opinions and keep flaming to a minimum. This will probably also contain lots of spoilers of fights that are in progress so PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Future MMA events!
UFC 130: Rampage vs Hammil May 28th
UFC 131: Dos Santos vs Carwin June 11th
Strikeforce: Overeem vs Werdum II June 18th
UFC on Versus 4: Marquardt vs Johnson June 26th
UFC 132: Cruz vs Faber II July 2nd

Olikus

Smash Champion
Looking forward to machida against rampage. Betting on Machida.

And hope carwin soon will get his revenge against Lesnar. Velasquez gonna get ***** by Lesnar.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I personally think the main event was very lack luster and both fighters fought like they were really intimidated by each other. I felt like it would have been a draw if Mir didnt KO Cro Cop
I know I switched channels back and forth for a while between the fight and when I came back....nope, didn't miss anything. It could have gone much, much better and I really expected more, but, well, what can ya do?

Velasquez gonna get ***** by Lesnar.
LOL no contest there. I just hope Velasquez puts up a decent fight. He's not too bad, but it IS Lesnar.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Yeah. Velasquez isnt bad at all. But heavyweight belt is between Lesnar and Carwin. So guess they face each other after their upcoming matches. They should have their own division. Monster heavyweigth. Since both of them actualy weight alot more than 265 ibs, while the other heavyweight have to gain weight to follow up with them. Its not even fair. :p

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Its not even fair. :p
The biggest factor I see is that he's never lost a fight. Worst case: Velasquez has a challenge set up. It should still be an interesting match to watch.

White really should make a separate tier for Lesnar and the like, but that'd be too much differentiation, I guess.

Ah, well.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
Brock and Shane definitely changed the game. Cutting weight to make 265 is ridiculous!

Olikus

Smash Champion
what do you think about Jon Jones? One of my favourites. Think he is ready to face the best players in his division soon. Think White said he had to win two more fights or something, but I personnaly mean he is ready to challenge the belt, even thoug Light heavyweight is probably the division with the biggest challenge.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
Jones is almost definitely getting Ryan Bader next and I can see that fight going either way. I really like both of them but I would have to put money on Bader because of his superior wrestling. But **** Jones' reach and ELBOWS are freaking scary!

Olikus

Smash Champion
Any thoughts on Penn? Fallen star or does he have a change to come back? Even if Edgar have a sick cargo I don't think he is better than what Penn was a year ago. But don't know if welterweight is the place to get back for him tough.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
BJ Penn reminds me of Lyoto Machida in that they both are definitely the number 1 guys in their divisions, but there's just 1 guy who happens to be a perfect counter for them both( shogun, Edgar ) and with that being said I don't think Penn has fallen off quite yet. If he can beat his next opponent Matt Hughes in the welterweight division then I think he's going to do just fine. If Gray Maynard takes the belt away from edgar then I think BJ will take the belt back from Gray

Olikus

Smash Champion
Favourite 3 UFC fights this year? Have to go for :

1. Anderson silva against Forrest Griffin.

2. Shane Carwin against Frank Mir

3. GSP against Dan Hardy

Gaara♥

Smash Master
1. Dan Henderson vs Michael Bisping it was a FANTASTIC KNOCK OUT!

2. Lyoto Machida vs Rashad Evans it was a FANTASTIC KNOCKOUT!

3. Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir 2 I really hate Frank Mir lol if I had to choose another fight it would be Carwin vs Mir lol

Olikus

Smash Champion
Yeah Lyoto machidas knockout on Rashad was sick. But what anderson silva did against Forrest was allmost unhuman. Never seen anyone own his opponent so much on that level. And it was one division higher than what he normally fights in. And carwin just destroyed Mir lol. The hardest puches in Ufc with that speed, poor Mir.

GSp against Hardy wasnt maybe the most entertainning match. But got really impressed of Hardy, who didnt tap.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
yeah silva vs griffin was like a small child trying to beat up a grown man, it was THAT one sided... and hilarious lol. And yeah Hardy definitely walked away with much more respect after that fight

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Favourite 3 UFC fights this year? Have to go for :

1. Anderson silva against Forrest Griffin.

2. Shane Carwin against Frank Mir

3. GSP against Dan Hardy
That's amazing I probably would have picked those 3.

Hardy is my boy man, my mohawke'd brethren.

Mir vs Krocop was EXTREMELY disappointing to say the least.

Olikus

Smash Champion
That's amazing I probably would have picked those 3.

Hardy is my boy man, my mohawke'd brethren.

Mir vs Krocop was EXTREMELY disappointing to say the least.
Hehe nice man. It was 3 nice matches. Allso liked Struve against Paul Buentello. Hardy is up and coming, but will be hard for him if GSP still stays in the division. But nothing is impossible, BJ Penn and Machida who looked unbeatable have lost their belt and Anderson Silva wasnt that great in his last match( even though he broke his ribs and that idiot sonnen used drugs).

So UFC has an exciting future.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
Anyone watching Jose Aldo vs Manny Gamburyan today? I've actually never seen Aldo fight but he trains at Black House with anderson silva, lyoto machida, the nogueria brothers, and junior dos santos, and he's the current WEC featherweight champ so i will be expecting a clinic on gamburyan, even though i like him lol

Pikaville

Gaara you have that heart like Victra, how did you get that?

Anyone else think Lesnar can take Velasquez?

I think he is gonna take him out.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
I think its unanimous that Lesnar will beat Velasquez. Cain is an amazing fighter but I gotta give it to Lesnar

Olikus

Smash Champion
I belive that Lesnar gonna win pretty simple. He is to big to handle for Velasques. But I think that Carwin gonna win the rematch against Lesnar. He dominated the match, but used his power up to quikly. Dont think he will do the same mistake twice.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
i think if carwin makes it back to number 1 contender against Brock then he wont be as strong cause he is going to want to focus on his cardio. Also Brock gets considerably better with each fight so their rematch, should it happen, wont look anything like their first match

Olikus

Smash Champion
yeah, the match will look different. But still, I think Carwins gonna win. But Lesnar is one hard man :p

Gaara♥

Smash Master
i wonder when carwin will fight again. aside from that whole steroid thing he has been out of the news

Olikus

Smash Champion
Well, for now its just rumors. He has never tested positive. So i bet hes going to face Nelson as planned.

Saw a really sick submission yesterday. Was two unknown heavyweight fighters, so didn't catch their names, but he somehow managed to submit him with a gymnastic split up side down. It looked totally strange.

Pikaville

I think should Carwin fight Lesnar again, Lesnar will try and take it to the ground quicker this time round.

Snump

Smash Rookie
It says so on wiki, and ariel helwani is the reference. I guess it will be confirmed soon.
Love your profile pic by the way!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Carwin fights Taintstick come Nov. 6th. Google it.

I belive that Lesnar gonna win pretty simple. He is to big to handle for Velasques. But I think that Carwin gonna win the rematch against Lesnar. He dominated the match, but used his power up to quikly. Dont think he will do the same mistake twice.
Lesnar won because he absorbed all of Carwin's offense and gassed him out.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
wow wikipedia DOES say Carwin is fighting Roy Nelson!

also, wow I didnt know this thread would attract SWF celebrities like CK! Nice to have you on board!

... what or who is Taintstick?!

EDIT: NVM found out LOL

Olikus

Smash Champion
Carwin fights Taintstick come Nov. 6th. Google it.

Lesnar won because he absorbed all of Carwin's offense and gassed him out.
Well, he could easily lost that game. Lesnar said he was really close to tap, but Carwins power run out just in time. He didnt choose to absorb, he just got his face beat up. But we have to wait and see. Maybe Lesnar win the rematch as well, but I doubt it.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
yeah he didnt CHOOSE to absorb all that punishment, but thats still exactly what it did and it worked. I dont think it was the game plan but he got the W for it. If shane carwin has the same punching power and and has really good cardio and is able to last 5 rounds, he's going to be champion for a loooooooooooong time. But I still believe in Brock!

Olikus

Smash Champion
While discussing it, i get so super excited. Really looking forward to the rematch if it sometime comes. But atm its Jones against Bader im most hyped about. Its Jones first real big test.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
I wouldnt say its Jones FIRST big test. Matt Hamil, Brandon Vera, and The Janitor are seasoned competitors. Matt Hamil was probably his biggest test so far. I would put money on Bader to win the fight but I really like both fighters.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
wow wikipedia DOES say Carwin is fighting Roy Nelson!

also, wow I didnt know this thread would attract SWF celebrities like CK! Nice to have you on board!

... what or who is Taintstick?!

EDIT: NVM found out LOL
They are a band fronted by satellite radio host and ex-pro skateboarder Jason Ellis. Carwin and Ellis have been trash talking over Twitter for a bit with Ellis saying "I can't wait to give you your first loss, oh wait."

It's all for Carwin's charity, and to give him a win over four people simultaneously. Ellis is only the only one with MMA experience and training. He's won 2 matches, I believe.

Top Bottom