• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falcon Grab Release Testing Ground WIP

lordhelmet

Smash Master

Grab Releases

When you grab an opponent, depending on their percent they will eventually be released. The higher their percent, the longer it will take for them to be released. it is possible to be released quicker by tapping buttons and rotating the control stick and C-stick. One full rotation of either counts as one button push.

If you grab any opponent, and their feet are not touching the ground, they will air release. You can force an air release on most characters shorter than Falcon, others will have to be grabbed from the air to force an air release. Characters taller than Falcon will move away from him when they get out of the grab, and this is called ground release. However, if you are pummeling any character when they get release, they will always be ground released. Also, if the opponent is tapping the jump button when they get released, they will always be jump released, even if they are taller.

---

Here is the list of characters who will get jump released or ground released without pummeling and without mashing jump upon release.

Natural Air Release: (16)
:mario2::luigi2::yoshi2:
:wario::toonlink::popo:
:kirby2::metaknight::olimar:
:pikachu2::squirtle::ivysaur:
:jigglypuff::ness2::lucas:
:gw:

Natural Ground Release: (23)
:peach::bowser2::dk2:
:diddy::link2::zelda:
:shiek::ganondorf::samus2:
:zerosuitsamus::pit::rob:
:dedede::fox::falco:
:wolf::falcon::charizard:
:lucario::marth::ike:
:snake::sonic:

Combos

Air Releases:

Remember that platforms on stages like BattleField can get in the way of these combos and can render grab release almost useless. The "(E)" beside a character's name means that jump release can only occur on an uneven platform or over an edge.

:bowser2: Bowser (E)
-

:falcon: Captain Falcon (E) (Untested)

:diddy: Diddy Kong (E)
-Dash -> Regrab (Unconfirmed)

:dk2: Donkey Kong (E)
Regrab (Unconfirmed)
Hypen Smash
Nair
Knee (Unconfirmed)
Raptor Boost / SH Raptor Boost (Unconfirmed)

:falco: Falco (E) (Untested)

:fox: Fox (E)
-

:gw: Mr Game and Watch
-Uair (Unconfirmed)

:ganondorf: Ganondorf (E) (Untested)

:popo: Ice Climbers
-Uair

:ike: Ike (E) (Untested)

:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff
-

:dedede: King Dedede (E) (Untested)

:kirby2: Kirby
-Uair

:link2: Link (E) (Untested)

:lucario: Lucario (E) (Untested)

:lucas: Lucas
-Dash -> Regrab
-Usmash

:luigi2: Luigi
-

:mario2: Mario
-Uair
-Nair

:marth: Marth (E) (Untested)

:metaknight: Meta Knight
-Dash -> Regrab (Strict)
-Dash Attack
-Usmash
-Run-off Uair

• If you grab MK while your back is facing the right on RC while the stage is moving to the right, you can execute air release follow-ups as if it were on Wario.

:ness2: Ness
-Uair
-Nair
-Knee (Strict)

:olimar: Olimar
-Uair (Unconfirmed)

:peach: Peach (E) (Untested)

:pikachu2: Pikachu
-Regrab (Unconfirmed)

:pit: Pit (E) (Untested)

:squirtle: Squirtle
-Regrab
-Dash Attack
-Falcon Kick (Unconfirmed)
-Run off Uair
-Run off Knee (Unconfirmed)
-Jab against a wall
-Infinite against a wall

:ivysaur: Ivysaur
-Uair
-Nair (Unconfirmed)
-Knee (Unconfirmed)

:charizard: Charizard (E) (Untested)

:rob: R.O.B. (E) (Untested)

:samus2: Samus (E) (Untested)

:shiek: Shiek (E) (Untested)

:snake: Snake (E) (Untested)

:sonic: Sonic (E) (Untested)

:toonlink: Toon Link
-Uair (Unconfirmed)

:wario: Wario (Wario is the only character you don't have to move after an air release to hit)
-Jab
-Ftilt (tilted upwards)
-Utilt
-Fsmash (tilted upwards)
-Usmash
-Dsmash
-Uair
-Knee
-Dair
-Nair
-Bair
-Falcon Dive
-Footstool
-Dash Back -> Dash Forward -> Regrab
-Pivot Regrab

• You can do (at 0%) jump release > Knee to jab canceled re-grab. (Pseudo Combo)
  • You can CG from 15% - 55% by jump release -> Dair -> buffered turn around jab canceled re-grab.
  • You can Footstool -> FF FH Nair -> Regrab infinite Wario

:wolf: Wolf (E) (Untested)

:yoshi2: Yoshi
-Uair (Unconfirmed)

:zelda: Zelda (E) (Untested)

:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus (E) (Untested)

Ground Release:

You MUST be pummeling for it to be a ground release.

:dk2: Donkey Kong (E)
-DK can dsmash you out of this, don't ground release DK

:lucas: Lucas
-Dash Regrab
-Dash Attack
-Ftilt
-Wall infinite regrab

:ness2: Ness
-Dash Regrab
-Dash Attack
-Ftilt
-Wall infinite regrab

---

Format stolen from Face124

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
*audience cheers*

Nice list there, dude! This should be extremely useful later, our grab release game is actually very good, as proven by, let's say, Wario (and Ally demonstrated it).

One more thing: the combos listed suppose that we buffer the moves, right?

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
*audience cheers*

Nice list there, dude! This should be extremely useful later, our grab release game is actually very good, as proven by, let's say, Wario (and 2Knee time and time again demonstrated it).
Yoshi GR > UAir doesn't work
...I mean

Except half of Wario, and Ness' GR > Knee, this entire list is bogus.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Yoshi GR > UAir doesn't work
...I mean

Except half of Wario, and Ness' GR > Knee, this entire list is bogus.
That's why I put "Unconfirmed". If you time it perfect it may be legit (you can't buffer out of the grab release animation), I have to "Confirm" it in Frame Advance.

Everything with "Unconfirmed" may be bogus, the rest is completely legit including the ground release CG on Ness.

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
That's why I put "Unconfirmed". If you time it perfect it may be legit (you can't buffer out of the grab release animation), I have to "Confirm" it in Frame Advance.

Everything with "Unconfirmed" may be bogus, the rest is completely legit including the ground release CG on Ness.
You can buffer movement inputs out of GR animation

And putting everything as "unconfirmed" or "untested" is a lazy way to cover up a "finding"
ALSO REMOVE CRAP LIKE INFINITE WALL **** we dont have that around here

It's backwards thinking, and it stinks.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
lord can you test this. If you air release dk you can knee him and if he is released outside the stage you can raptor boost spike him. I been able to do this to some players and I try to check it in Training mode and it shows up as a combo, but training mode is not reliable, so will you be able to test the air release.

You can force an air release on Dk by using nair.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
And putting everything as "unconfirmed" or "untested" is a lazy way to cover up a "finding"
It means I haven't gotten around to proving it's legit or tested that character yet.

ALSO REMOVE CRAP LIKE INFINITE WALL **** we dont have that around here

It's backwards thinking, and it stinks.
Did you have a bad day or something? I don't see what's wrong with knowing you can wall infinite the EB boys. Isn't it good to know we can **** Ness on Delfino? Which is where he'll take you because we'll ban Brinstar every time.

@Lorenzo: I'll try that first when I get to testing. I never thought of RB'ing them, I'll have to keep that in mind. And yes, FH Nair -> Grab ensures an air release on everyone. I'll add that to the OP eventually.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
would it be alright if i tested some of thecharacters that havent been tested? i wanna make a contribution to the falcon boards, i figure this might be okay :)

lordhelmet

Smash Master
would it be alright if i tested some of thecharacters that havent been tested? i wanna make a contribution to the falcon boards, i figure this might be okay :)
That would be nice. A nice way to test the "E" chars is to set a lvl 9 CPU to jump and grab them from the air.

That's only to get a feel for what moves you may be able to do based on their release trajectory.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
That would be nice. A nice way to test the "E" chars is to set a lvl 9 CPU to jump and grab them from the air.

That's only to get a feel for what moves you may be able to do based on their release trajectory.
should i also try it on human players to see if i get any other result?

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Did a bit of testing on pokemon trainer. You can confirm that the run off knee on squirtle works but the timing is fairly strict. You can also grab release -> knee ivysaur. I'm not 100% but I think you can catch squirtle with a grab release -> falcon kick

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Did a bit of testing on pokemon trainer. You can confirm that the run off knee on squirtle works but the timing is fairly strict.
I highly doubt thats inescapable.

I did lots of testing on squirtle and I highly doubt its inescapable.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I'll test it more, but it seems as though you have to release squirtle at a certain point for it to hit. Or maybe once he gets below the stage where you can hit him with knee he can do something like up b you out of it. *back to the drawing board*

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm confirming the Dash Regrab on Lucas. It's tested with optimal ground release DI.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I'll test it more, but it seems as though you have to release squirtle at a certain point for it to hit. Or maybe once he gets below the stage where you can hit him with knee he can do something like up b you out of it. *back to the drawing board*
Why thank you, I've been pretty busy myself lately :/

I'm confirming the Dash Regrab on Lucas. It's tested with optimal ground release DI.
:O

I didn't think the ground release CG on Lucas was legit xD

Top Bottom