• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King DDD Matchup Thread

Noa.

Smash Master
King DDD​

1. Basic Matchup Summary - Just a small paragraph detailing whose advantage it is and why.
2. Move Discussion - In here you want to state what moves give Olimar trouble, and how to prepare/counter against them. Don't bother going over unimportant moves though. Do we really need to know how to handle Snake's dtilt?
3. Zones - This mostly has to do with the characters spacing in correlation with each other. Spacing is a very important part of a matchup, as certain distances can really skew the match into one character's favor. Both vertical spacing and horizontal spacing are important. For horizontal spacing, consider that within ftilt range, Olimar gets ***** by Snake, but outside of that range Oli does very well and always carries a slight advantage. In the case of vertical spacing, look at how skewed the matchup is when ROB is above Olimar compared to when they're both at ground level.
4. Camping - Against certain characters, Olimar needs to camp a specific way to outcamp them. Consider Falco and Snake.
5. Edgeguarding - This really only matters for characters who have specific edgeguarding techniques that are unusual and effective. Consider Peach and her turnips.
6. General stuff - Just general tips and strategies that aren't covered by anything else.
7. Stages - Counterpicks and bans.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

overview: First off, olimar solidly wins this MU 60-40, olimar's camping and zoning game can keep DDD out and block almost all of DDD's options, we have a camping game that effectively racks up damage till 140+% and gives us a multitude of openings, even under pressure, olimar has little to fear due to DDD's size and lack of options to keep us pressured unless we are offstage, which DDD can thoroughly abuse, it is also imprtant to note how DDD has no true CG on olimar. DDD's saving grace is his abilty to kill us early but survive to very high percents, along with his ability to punish anything that isn't a grab or side-b, very simple MU imo, one of olis simplelest if not the simplest

moves:

olimar: side b and grab, thats all we need to do damage, and when DDD is in the air, we can use all our aerials very safely, our tilts are horribly unsafe in this MU, and our smashes are actually not too safe because of DDD's shield grab range, i say save smashes for kills or very good reads only, upair is also a great way to punish DDD's that get predictable with jumping

DDD's problem moves: grab: this will set us up for his bairs, regrabs when we land, or fairs if we get predictable, long ranged, can punish a mis-spaced fsmash on his shield with grab, along with every other smash no matter our spacing

bair:

DDD's main tool in the air, we can whistle this with good timing and punish with nair, DDD's main way off getting off pikmin, approaching olimar, and gimping olimar, overall DDD's best move in this MU, also has moderate kill potential when fresh, if spaced correctly cannot be shield-grabbed (maybe JC US OOS, not sure) also very good to lure out attacks and punish olimar

ftilt: DDD's other way of spacing and approaching olimar, blocks pikmin, has low knock back, high priority/ disjointed? longer range than our fsmash and goes through it, often used near an edge to force olimar into something stupid, can be punished by shield grabbing

uptilts: DDD's kill move, kills as early as 80% on fd when fresh, deceivingly big hitbox and duration, avoids grab, beats our smashes, clanks with tilts, DDD's main way to punish olimar for doing something when close or used to get rid of pikmin, also an effective way to kill us when he are aerial

Fsmash: same as ike's snake's fsmash, just don't be too predictable and you won't be hit, range isn't great but that power will kills as early as 40% from middle of FD, remember, just don't be too predictable

spacing: olimar just needs to stay away from DDD, the edge of our side b range is optimal, we should never get closer than a spaced grab's length away, although from there olimar has options in the choice of generic defensive moves, uptilt, any smash and pivot grab

camping:

throws lots of shorthop pikmin until DDD is in running grab distance, then space and look for openign to grab DDD and throw him away, run away then rinse and repeat, also use side-b to create openings if DDD trys to hit off our pikmin, note that DDD's attacks will beat our purple pikmin side b, and the extended hitbox of yellow pikmin is very useful here, but killing with yellow is a *****

DDD's edge-guarding:

bair: whistle it, jump over it, up-b to the ledge through it, fastfalling to get below doesn't really work against bair more than once a match normally

fair: same as bair, buts its stronger and has much better knockback

neutral b: swallow: pretty much DDD's last resort xD just space a yellow fair on it or hit DDD with a purple side b, range and startup and end time of it is abysmal enough to completely avoid just by olimar's air mobility

Our edge-guarding: spaced fsmash, fair if your feeling risky for the kill when DDD is aerial. spaced fsmash and grab when he is on the edge (more emphasis on grab though)

general stuff: throw side-b A LOT, mainly space and punish with grab, save kill throws and kill throw pikmin, smashes should almost never be used unless you are punishing something (neutral b, defensive options, DDD being in the air and not landing with bair) also, watch out for neutral b, while it has startup and end time, near an edge, it puts olimar in an awkward position and is only beat out by purple side b, fsmash, or perfectly spaced grabs, if DDD misses completely with it, use the end time to get in a free grab or upsmash, note it has grab armor if olimar is inhaled

CPs: (in order) BF, FD, lylat, frigate

Ban: brinstar? RC? TBH, DDD has no truely good cps against olimar, so just choose whatever you dislike xD maybe greens greens if its legal, but i've never fought a DDD on there

borderline CPs (stages i wouldn't suggest as CPs unless you feel comfortable on them) : halberd, delfino

Dnyce

Smash Master
1. Olimar's advantage. Throw lots of pikmin until he gets close and then mix up between fsmashes and grabs (but mostly grabs) if they're running. If their walking they're prolly going to ftilt so avoid / punish that. If they're in the air and close to you, just run under them and go back to camping, or uair juggle them.
2. Ftilt out ranges our moves, just avoid it. If they're smart they'll space it, which kind of makes it obvious
3. Stay away from DDD... and camp.
4. Throw pikmin... lots of pikmin =]
5. Bair - really predictable, just whistle it.
6. Camp, get purples, camp more.
7. Long stages or stages with purple pikmin

throw pikmin

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
i beat hbox the last 2 times in tourney and beat co18 the last time i played him in tournie

this matchup is soooooo easy, just spam standing side b \ pivot grab, ddd has no options

Zori

Smash Champion
we win because we can camp him so hard, just dont approch and you will be straight

i wish i was kidding

Denti

Smash Master
Purples make me super happy to be an olimar main in this MU.

Besides that, just do a solid camp while not getting gimped at low percentages. Easy win.

60-40

I prefer lots of platforms so I can easily jump away from his F tilts.

Greward

Smash Lord
uhhh

throw pikmin
dont get swallowed
dont waste ur double jump
pivot grab him when he lands with bair/dair or usmash if he goes for the swallow
never land next to him, go to the ledge (well thats obvious but its more important against DDD)

i dunno its easy, 6-4 or 65-35

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Denyce, I don't know who you are or where you appeared from, but I like you.

Anywho, basically everything's been covered in this mu. I always ban YI because that platform is a DDDanger zone of Bair and Utilt, and usually FD because I like to have options against him. Cp to Delfino :)

Denti

Smash Master

I'm not even sure how to actually explain this MU other than don't get gimped or F tiled. Play one campy *** olimar and take a free win, D3 is horrible vs olimar no matter what he does.

Ban fd, he has good options there to gimp us without platforms.

I still say this MU is 60-40... which is very generous of me. I think most MUs are even against every character as long as you play them right, but not D3 vs Oli. D3 just can't deal with a campy olimar and consistantly win.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Guys, to coney's credit... playing DDD is only slightly harder than playing bye.

Top Bottom