• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide A Pocket Guide to Perfect Agility ~ By Grim Tuesday

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
----------------------------------------------------
INTRODUCTION
Hi, Grim Tuesday here. As the Pichu boards are starting to get more popular (presumably because of his rise in the tier list), opportunities for Pichu's playstyle to be expanded have presented themselves to us.

Perfect Agility is, in my humble opinion, one of Pichu's techniques with the most hidden potential. However, the casual Pichu player must ask themselves, "What is a Perfect Agility?", "How do I do it?" and most importantly, "What can I do with it?". This guide is designed to answer those questions in detail, hopefully teach veteran Pichu players a few new tricks, and also to provide a place to discuss tactics regarding Agility in competitive play.

If you are new to playing as Pichu, or are looking for a general guide on how to play as Pichu, I recommend t0mmy's guide, "The Pichu Paradigm". Said guide can be found here.

WHAT IS "AGILITY"?
Agility is Pichu's up-special move. This move will cause Pichu to perform a very fast teleport-like dash in one of 16 directions. Inputting another of those 16 directions on the control stick during this first teleport will allow Pichu to perform a second, identical dash/teleport. The first jaunt deals 1% damage to Pichu, the second 3%. Unlike Pikachu's up-special, Agility deals no knock-back, damage or hit-stun.

The length of each jaunt can be controlled to an extent depending on how far you tilt the control stick. Remember this, as it will be important when performing PAs. The second jaunt must differ in direction from the first by at least 38° (normally, it IS possible to by-pass this limitation by smashing the direction with good timing [at the time when you would normally perform the second jaunt]). The first part of Agility can go through platforms, the second, however, cannot.

While Agility is a decent recovery move, this guide is dedicated to it's use as a movement and spacing tool through the use of PA, so I will not go into it's use elsewhere. Please check t0mmy's guide (linked to above) for information on any aspects I do not cover.

The multiple directions (in degrees) Agility can travel in.

Note: Pichu's Agility is the cloned version of Pikachu's Quick-Attack. Thus, some people mistake it for the latter and refer to Pichu's up-special as "Quick-Attack".

WHAT IS "PERFECT AGILITY"?
Perfect Agility (PA) is a term used to refer to landing Pichu's Up Special move (Agility) with perfect timing so as to give it only a single frame of ending lag, and cause a pseudo-wavedash effect. This technique is probably referred to by different names by different players, but this guide will only use the terms "Perfect Agility" and the abbreviation "PA" to refer to it. Depending on how hard you tilt the control stick, you can slightly adjust the length of your Agility. This is VERY important to remember when using Perfect Agility, as it can mean the difference between a successful hit and being punished.

HOW DO I PERFORM A "PERFECT AGILITY"?
Perfect Agility occurs when you land directly after either the first or second teleport/dash/jaunt finishes. It results in a landing with only 1 frame of lag, and gives you a small wave-dash in the direction the Agility was travelling.

Landing while in the middle of the attack (i.e. angling it into the ground) will leave you with an easily punishable 14 frames of lag, and angling the attack too high and simply falling to the ground after an Agility will leave you unable to move until you land, forcing you to wait for Pichu to fall down to the ground before attacking (it will also not create the pseudo-wavedash mentioned above).

The most common ways PA is used are:
PA Dash: Jump and immediately perform an Agility to the left or right (135° or 45°). With good timing, you will travel straight across the ground laglessly.

PA Dodge: Agility upward in any direction from the ground and then return to the ground on the same route (for reference: On the above chart, look at one of the upward directions. Then look at the downward direction it forms a straight line with. The former will be the direction of your first jaunt, the latter your second jaunt). The purpose of this is simply mind-games and spacing. This can be done in a "down > up" fashion as well through platforms and if you are close enough to the edge.

PA Angle: Similar to the PA Dodge. Agility upward in any direction and then use the second jaunt to go downward in the exact opposite direction (To find the opposite direction on the above chart, simply mirror the direction you used for the first Jaunt). This can be used for movement, as well as mind-games and spacing.

Single PA Landing: Timing the first jaunt of Agility so you land perfectly. This can be done from a jump, or from being knocked in the air by your opponent.

Double PA Landing: Timing the first jaunt of Agility so you space yourself, and then the second to land perfectly. This can be done from a jump, or from being knocked in the air by your opponent. It is useful in situations where you can't land properly with a single PA, or when you want to reach the ground quickly without falling.

PA Recovery: Identical to PA Landing, except from off the stage. The opponent will be trying to intercept you in the middle of the recovery, and will punish you if you don't land perfectly, so practice recovering from all angles.

WHAT CAN I DO WITH "PERFECT AGILITY"?
Well. :) Good question.
Perfect Agility has two major uses in competitive play:
a) Mind-games.
b) Movement.

The speed at which this move can be used, in combination with dash-dancing, wave-dashing/landing and empty hops will leave the opponent incredibly confused (especially against players who don't know the Pichu match-up. [Read: Pretty much everyone]). It can also be used as a versatile movement tool for getting around platforms and sneaking behind your opponent into a SHFFL'd Nair or Up Smash.

Dash-dancing, wave-dashing/landing and SHFFLing Nairs are already staple for Pichu, so those should obviously be incorporated into any mix-ups you use with PA.

NEVER. STOP. MOVING.
Any time you are standing still is better spent mixing up dash-dances, PA, empty hops/jumps and wave-dashes/lands. The key to hitting your opponent via PA is to be completely unpredictable.

MIX-UPS:
• PA Angle + PA Dodge
Both moves have the same start-up and start from the same position, so they are easy to confuse your opponent with. Quite simply, approach the opponent with PA Angle and then retreat (attacking with a SHFFL'd Nair, Uair or Up Smash if you get the chance, obviously). Then use PA Dodge to feint PA Angles. It will leave the opponent on their toes as long as you use it erratically. You DEFINITELY should not be mechanical with this strategy, there are many angles you can approach from, so MIX IT UP!

• Empty Jumps + Empty Hops + Single PA Landing
Jump.
A lot.
Use Thunder Jolt for approaching far away opponents (think of how Doc uses his pills), empty short-hops for when they are a closer so you can lead into a SHFFL Nair and the PA Landing to reach the ground quickly for an unexpected strike or to dodge an approach from the opponent. Always wave-land, because it adds to the confusion and there is no reason not to do it.

• Dash-Dance + Wave-dash + PA Dash
This strategy will definitely not work on it's own, as it has much less options than the above two. However, when pulled off it is arguably the most effective of these mix-ups and will lead to an instant kill against unsuspecting opponents (which, if you have been following this guide correctly, should be your opponent). At lower percents, you want to be wave-dashing and dash-dancing (and using the above mix-ups) until your opponent lowers their guard. At this point, PA Dash behind them and SHFFL a Nair or Uair (whatever will lead to the most damage in that situation). At higher percents, go for a Up Smash instead (or maybe still a Nair if the Up Smash is getting repetitive/won't kill them/etc...).

HOW TO PA LAND FROM EVERY HEIGHT:
...Work in progress...

VIDEOS:
...Work in progress...

CONCLUSION
This guide is far from finished, but I am leaving it how it is for now. You are free to post. I will update this later with information on other things as they come to me, and any ideas that get brought up in replies. I am also going to be working on a tool-assisted tech video soon to demonstrate just how mobile and insane a perfect Pichu can be (this is to hype Pichu up, demonstrate his potential and prove to people I'm not crazy with my Agility obsession).

For now, ciao!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
my spot ggggggggggggg

i'll post useful info. you don't know nub. later on of course.

oh crap didn't finish in time.

parts of up-B in extreme detail.

parts of up-B
1. this part can pass thought platforms, can sweetspot, lands with lag, size of pichu, only on the first jump turns into the 2nd part on the 2nd up-b jump.

2. can sweetspot, lands lagy, the distance of pichu's up-b,

3. lagless landing, sweepsots, and the size of pichu you need to know how long this is if you want to up-B the edge and brake. also you can technically cut this part out of your up-B if you lightly hold up-B before you up-B your up-B will be shorter. at the end of this acts like you wavedashing, meaning you can quickly use an attack to make it a small bit shorter and if you had luigi's wd this would go super far.

falling speed after up-B. when you up-B you have no air speed till you fall to where you up-Bed. why you never nearly sweetspot like fox.

sweetspot range. Pichu has the smallest in the game it's about the size up his head.

Double up-B. hold up-B angled a little to the left/right and press B and mash that way again congrats you can recover a little farther, but if you mess up you will only up-B jump once.

Pressure, grabs, avoiding punishment, metagame, and etc.

Pressuring/avoiding punishment their sheilds

nair in front- if you nair's strongest hit lands like right before you land on the ground you can beat them to the grab you have 1 frame advantage f-tilt comes out on frame 6 and jab frame 2 so it's very real to nair jab their s*** or you could buffer a roll so unless you have great prediction and like laser or WD to grab the sec. you hit their sheild they can't you really punish you safer than fox's nair in some ways.

You can duck/jab(your head is to low to grab) under the following grabs: peach, zelda, gannon, falcon(unless you're straight up in his face where you could land a freakin rest) and jabs move you far enough way to avoid a good amount of grabs. because their sheilds are so big and if they're getting hit they won't grab.

nair through their sheild- upair ounishes them if they try to do something(and aren't like samus/bowser) up-Bing vs them I have limited exp. but you could easily run away to try and avoid stuff and if they miss then you grab or upair.

if they stay you could trun around grab. also if you duck some people will lose lose if they do anything but stay in their sheilds. sheik can bair/nair or anything to pichu behide ducking I want to abuse this vs someone who's smart with their sheild abuse sometime. but landing behide their sheild is mad good good for starting combos.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
you should update also some topic to throw out there is I've underrated fair so much fair ***** all non disjointed air attacks. like if falcon is on the edge fair beats like everything all long as the hitbox is out. being disjointed just barely makes it worth using.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
parts of up-B in extreme detail.

parts of up-B
1. this part can pass thought platforms, can sweetspot, lands with lag, size of pichu, only on the first jump turns into the 2nd part on the 2nd up-b jump.

2. can sweetspot, lands lagy, the distance of pichu's up-b,

3. lagless landing, sweepsots, and the size of pichu you need to know how long this is if you want to up-B the edge and brake. also you can technically cut this part out of your up-B if you lightly hold up-B before you up-B your up-B will be shorter. at the end of this acts like you wavedashing, meaning you can quickly use an attack to make it a small bit shorter and if you had luigi's wd this would go super far.

falling speed after up-B. when you up-B you have no air speed till you fall to where you up-Bed. why you never nearly sweetspot like fox.

sweetspot range. Pichu has the smallest in the game it's about the size up his head.

Double up-B. hold up-B angled a little to the left/right and press B and mash that way again congrats you can recover a little farther, but if you mess up you will only up-B jump once.
Double Up-B isn't worth mentioning, this is a guide to Perfect Agility, not how to recover. Same with sweet-spotting stuff.

I mentioned how the first jaunt can go through platforms, and the wave-dash you get when using a Perfect Agility.

I can't believe I forgot the range adjustment *facepalm*. I'll add that.

you should update also some topic to throw out there is I've underrated fair so much fair ***** all non disjointed air attacks. like if falcon is on the edge fair beats like everything all long as the hitbox is out. being disjointed just barely makes it worth using.
I will update soon, don't worry.
I have also been finding success with it. As a SHFFLing tool, it is a suprisingly decent mix-up with Nair.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
nair is the greatest mix-up all ever by that I mean using nair, nair, nair, nair, nair. but holy s*** I got a 3 nair combo at a smashfest recently i've never even got a double nair I love that combosooooooooo much. I thank them for diing to me to live and trying fair. WTF jigglypuf.

no have the double up-B in there it's no where esle it's so hard to master sometimes because of the pressure using it. recovery involves mindgames as pichu he has to use all kinds of mix up ups to live I really think the other guides didn't explain enough.like there's no info on how you want to SMASH side-B to make it a little longer. and when you want to use side-B to best max out your recovery. things like fair beats the knee and how you can counter edge gaurd them and junk

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
how would i go about starting a pichu, would should i practice first and what should i be doing for end game, perhaps a few vid links with a really good pichu

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqBPIJPC9Dc

great video but really KDJ could've done more with his grabs, much better edge gaurd, also pichu can wreak space aniamls with a well placed upair at about anytime they can set up grabs sometimes they'll DI away so you'll have to run with it.

be sure to autocancel upairs 2 frames of lag vs 9 fastest autocanel in the game upair high then FF not really hard.

but match-ups totally change what moves you spam and how much you spam them and junk. vs mario the match should last like 6 minutes with your best combos are nair nair, jolt to nair, up-throw dair and that's about it but vs FFers do whatever you feel like maybe thunder (not hitting you) toup-smash nair yes it works and yes it's dumb as h*** heck i've even gotten thunder combos in pichu dittos

you won't get crazy combos till you have a good feeling for your speed, hitstun, and following and spacing and junk.
fair to tilt for everyone who doesn't CC

but really there's a lot to pichu what do you want? Really pichu hangs on the defenseive side more but his approach is decent just don't approach when they approach and wait a little if you plan on approaching most of the time to be safe. but full hop runnning jolts, d-tilt, movement, and nair is basically what you'll spam for approach but you can like DD grab and junk.

nair hits sheild

front how to avoid sheild grab you can jab their s*** before they can grab or buffer a roll/spotdodge and they'll miss and pichu's rolls are very long and fast. I normally spotdodge.

hit the back you can DD back and grba or start upairing the s*** out of their sheild and if they try to attack they'll get hit and get combo ***** many times.

nair and DDing is about all you need if you're very smart. pichu has lots of tricks

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Basically, make sure you are as un-predictable as possible, as Pichu's only real option most of the time is nair. Dash-dance and wave-dance a lot. Mess around with fast-falling and wave-landing. Perfect agility if you see the opportunity and can't be punished for it.

Try and string together Fair/Uair/Utilt combos whenever you can. When you play with Pichu long enough, they will come naturally. Try and watch videos of t0mmy to get an idea of what they should look like.

Forward Smash is fast and is VERY powerful. Can often be used as a surprise attack. Kill with it, Up Smash, Nair, and sometimes Thunder if they are very high after an Up Smash.

I'm personally not a fan of jolts in most match-ups. But it can be used if you want to play a little campier.

Back throw if you want to gimp someone with a poor recovery like Falco. Up Throw can set-up combos and chain-grabs against fast-fallers. Down Throw does the same thing for floatier characters, and almost always sets-up for an Up Smash against everyone. Fthrow can be used to tech-chase at low percentages, that is it's only real use.

Really, when it comes to his tilt and aerial game, you just need to try a lot of stuff and work out what works in different situations.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
Thankyou very much guys means alot that you guys were actually helpful, here i thought people were just going to spam the whole " just dont do it and get a good main", im just trying to good perception of all characters

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Pichu boards aren't very spamy.

but what we've told you really won't help you fight pichu all too much because vs pichu it's mostly keep him out, grab, but don't just camp because pichu has so many tricks you're going to fail and let him in if that's all you do like if you tryed to keep out a fox.

also pichu vs pikachu if you want to pick one over the other then here are the differences that matter most.

pikachu:
better upwards kill game
can take more hits
more range
better at gimping
more approaching less defence
sweetspot
spmable jolts

Pichu
up-B tricks are great
has a great sheild pikachu doesn't
pichu is much faster/safer in the air/ ground(same speed on ground)
better grab game twcie the range, more solid set-ups, and more combos
harder to hit(can duck under stuff and junk)

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
although i like the whole taking more damage so you feel more comfortable, i feel as if pichu wont take as much damage because of the tricksies and just small

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
you do like 20% ro yourself from self damage per a stok normally but it deals a fair amount back. Just e very sure that hit is going to land. It will end up making your spacing great

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
o i didnt know it was that many but less damage than i thought, thanx for all your help, ill que you in if the pichu gets good haha

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Thankyou very much guys means alot that you guys were actually helpful, here i thought people were just going to spam the whole " just dont do it and get a good main", im just trying to good perception of all characters
Yah, the Pichu boards are actually pretty good when it comes to things like that.

you do like 20% ro yourself from self damage per a stok normally
I deal about 60%, but that's just the way my play-style goes xD

If it is cancelled halfway through the attack by landing/being hit/etc... it can deal anywhere from 1-4%.

thunde rif hits pichu
Also note that you get a lot more lag if thunder hits you, not just damage.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
powersheild to up-B is hella legit heck sheild to up-B is fairly legit if not predicted same for if you powershield they could shine you if you're to close or they could tilt you away but it's not really within reaction time unless they focus on just that.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
my pichu already has gotten alot better, you just need to fool around with the tricksys and technicals and be very smart with pichu

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Also his mix-ups are crazy I think his approach is more solid than fox's in a lot of ways.

you mostly have d-tilt, nair, and full hop jolt but you could like sh 2nd jump away to jolt or up-B right back at them.

plus if you're feeling crazy DD grab his grab has decent range twice that of pikachu's grab.

you can do all kinds of things

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
PAs are actually really slow... They are good in very specific situations, but generally, you'll cover ground more quickly with just dashing.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I've been experimenting with agility chases throughout all of my combos, even if just to set up for the next approach/situation.

PPMD has said making sure a combo will work is more dependent on positioning than most other details, so the thought could have some merit behind it.

It's weird to get used to, and some of the auto-cancels are pretty hard, like rising onto a platform.

it seems very strong when it works though

Top Bottom