• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu discussion

dandan

Smash Lord
i hope i know enough to run this ;)
i will try to write a guide in the following week/s, and would appreciate any help i can get.
of course, discuss about pika and his whatnot.

dandan

Smash Lord
What %s can you start Uair chaining Mario? :p

I can never seem to get it right :(
i would say in the 40% region.
depends on where you are, you can do it in lower than 40 if you have enough space to fastfall uair and then continue, otherwise he falls faster than you.
just try go into training, do an usmash to 2 utilts (gets him to 38%) and you see it is easy to start chaining him from there.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
How EXACTLY do you go from jab to grab?

I've seen people (Isai) jab once and instantly grab after that first jab...is this possible all the time or was it a fluke? (with Isai i doubt it but...maybe...I've seen him miss a cancel once or twice so who knows...lol)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
It's possible all the time. just press A then R a split second after. You can do it with mario, Luigi and Ness' grabs too. The timing is easy to get down just a bit of practice is needed.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
How EXACTLY do you go from jab to grab?

I've seen people (Isai) jab once and instantly grab after that first jab...is this possible all the time or was it a fluke? (with Isai i doubt it but...maybe...I've seen him miss a cancel once or twice so who knows...lol)
Basically, if you're chain jabbing then just mash Z and you'll end up grabbing at some point. This only happens for me when I make an input mistake, since Pika's jab kind of sucks and is about the last thing I would ever use in most situations.

In other words I can't help you do a clean single jab -> grab, cause I can't do it myself. the jab grab acts mostly as a way out of an accidental jab chain for me.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Ahh that clears things up. Its just jab grabbing in the middle of a jab chain.

I also cant jab grab on command :(

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Here's a link to the Pika guide I wrote up a long time ago: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222725

This is pretty old, and I'm a lot better at this game now, so this guide is kind of outdated. For instance, Pika's ftilt is an incredibly versatile and useful move, but I just dismissed it when writing that guide because I wasn't good enough at that time to use it properly.

Also the guide is unfinished and I have no plans to finish it any time soon cause seriously I don't know how to explain the free form and improv aspect of Pika's combos other than to say learn his moveset and figure out what to use when.

dandan

Smash Lord
what boom said, it is not hard to time at all, just remember the jab must hit the opponent or his shield.

The Star King

Smash Hero
The jab doesn't HAVE to hit something, it just makes it easier because of the hitlag.

dandan

Smash Lord
really? when i press r immediately after the jab, i just do another jab.
anyhow, i do not see a real point of doing it without hitting him with the jab, you can fake jab and grab, but that is about all.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
One of my favorite things to do at low percents is Usmash to Utilt chain combo. It's also really hard to DI out because you can tilt the joystick to move left or right while you're doing the attack. I find this to be a great way to take people from %30 to %100. It can be especially offensive if you end this with a Uair or Bair.

dandan

Smash Lord
usmash to utilt works, but not at 30 i do not think, and if your opponent is still stuck in your utilts at 100%, sorry to say, but he sucks.
moreover, pika's utilts are not that hard to DI out of, way easier than kirby's for example.
no doubt it is good though.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
I can't say I play too many amazing people at Smash64, so maybe they do suck lol. I play on an actual N64 so I've never played online. Some characters are a heck of a lot easier to Utilt combo. Kirby and Jiggs tend to be some of the harder ones since I lose the combo at like 65% against them... :c Pikachu's edgeguarding is also amazing. Very few characters can recover against a well timed Fsmash.

dandan

Smash Lord
personally, i found that fsmash is usually not the top choice you can go for, i prefer to go out and gimp, it usually means i get much more guaranteed kills.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Yes, it depends on the situation for me. If someone is recovering from horizontally or above I like to gimp, but if the recovery is from below I like to Fsmash. But I'll have to expirement with more gimping.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
From blow is actually when you dont want to imo.

Good players will DI this off the wall and just end up recovering.

Falling into them with Nair is much better imo

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
I've actually never thought about dropping a Nair... I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tips by the way. I don't play competitively so I don't get to see a lot of new stuff.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
question.

how does one fair --> uair or fair --> nair, in the air

I have seen prince do it loads of times in the J version, but I cant seem to do it often in training mode. Maybe im just pika ********, but is there some sort of trick to the timing.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Well chaining Fair --Nair shouldn't be hard

Uair to Nair is a matter of hitting your foe with the proper spot of the uair hit box so it pushes them in front of you...then just jump into them with the Nair?

Maybe i dont understand this question lol...seems to simple

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
surri

in the air. Do a fair on someone, and just as that finishes do an nair. still in the air, not touching the ground ever

it wont work for me ;_;

dandan

Smash Lord
surri

in the air. Do a fair on someone, and just as that finishes do an nair. still in the air, not touching the ground ever

it wont work for me ;_;
you have to move yourself while you are fairing to the right position to nair.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Yes, but you have to Fair while going Up so that when you finish it you'll be able to hit your oponent at least in the lower part while descending.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
For the jabgrab, alternatively (my way), you can keep mashing A and not touch R while after the first jab you keep the shield button pressed, so it tries to shieldgrab
Pikachu/Mario/Luigi/Ness
A + Z(right after A) = Jab -> Grab

You don't even need to pres R or Z-A for a shield-grab.

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
I've realised that I rarely land usmashes, and i never implement dair>usmash combo starters into my pika game. Should I be using this commonly? Also, tips on successfully using usmash in general?

Top Bottom