• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Discussion

L1ON

Smash Apprentice
Although fox is my main, many people out-"shine" me (haha) when it comes to Mr. fast and flashy. So I often declare Samus as my main because of the control and sense of comfort I feel when I play her. If nobody beats me to the punch, I will attempt to write a guide, and I'll try to exceed what's expected (shortest guide ever).

So let the discussion begin.

Up B a shielding opponent on a platform --> easiest shield break much?

Anyone ever have any luck in aerial (possibly tilt maybe fsmash) fully charged shot for a shield break?

Also what to do after a shield break, I usually just taunt then grab (because it feels so good) but I have inspiration from prince to do more... i.e. incorporate laying a bomb and hitting them into it or some such cooler thing.

dandan

Smash Lord
dair fully charged shot to fsmash is a break, so is bomb to fully charged shot to fsmash.
very situational though, probably not something you should look forward to.

after the break you can lay a bomb and grab through the bomb (the bomb is between you and him) for extra %

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
if they are on platform

dair den go dru da platform and up b dem shield dreak

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
bair > usmash against a wall usually breaks

it also works sometimes on tall characters when not against a wall (situational)

dandan

Smash Lord
So the roof holds you from going any higher?
yep, also a good point if they shield on a platform such as on dreamland, it is advisable to jump before the up as it keeps you lower, otherwise you can get too high and miss the shield.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Thanks, I knew I had seen a video of it before, but didnt remember where.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
or they can escape the basic falcon combos...its really annoying actually

what i love is how most claim they can do that on console ...im like LOL NO Range isnt even on smash64 duh

jiggssmash64

Smash Rookie
Z Canceled FAirs are really good when gonig from grabbing a ledge to backon normal ground.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Nice Darth, one of my favs is plat drop bair to up B while someone is shielding on the platform. Makes the shield break a bit easier.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
How do you DI out of samus upB?
Down and left or down and right. (for moves in general, you DI to the opposite way they are hitting you).

You can also DI up out of the first 2 or 3 hits but I find it much harder.

For the general discussion, I like using Samus a lot but I HATE the DK matchup and I am somewhat poor at the Yoshi matchup also. Any tips, can't stand the down b to giant punch.

In terms of matchups I like, I think Samus is even with Jiggs and is barely beating ness (like 55-45). I like those matchups as well.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
It depends I mean sometimes you'll find yourself being naturally towards the bottom or the top of Samus depening on where she started the attack and I think that determines what way you should attempt to DI.

kabal

Smash Apprentice
For DK's punch combo: if you spam up-b when stunned and flying after getting hit, you can sometimes up-b in time which makes you invulnerable for a split second or dodges the punch.

Up-b is a really powerful tool for breaking combos in general, though obviously it also leaves you very vulnerable. Most of the time it's still worth it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
yeah, and if there's a platform above you, even a missed up-b has a 50/50 chance of not being punished too badly, depending on whether you decide to land on the plat or fastfall through

that's gotten me so many times >_>

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
yeah, and if there's a platform above you, even a missed up-b has a 50/50 chance of not being punished too badly, depending on whether you decide to land on the plat or fastfall through

that's gotten me so many times >_>
lol, Judas taught me that one; other people caught on then I assume?

Mahie

Smash Lord
I've been starting to use the jab cancel as a shield pressuring method lately, and it works very well. Does anybody do that ?

blaze3927

Smash Ace
i samus usmash can be a full shiedl breaker
me n pete proved it, and recorded
no sure if this was confirmed yet

asianaussie

Smash Hero
50% damage fresh, an example would be standing on the lower moving plat on saffron's left while your target does a low-shield on the lowest skyscraper (i recall managing this, dunno if it was because the shield was below 40% or not)

I don't think that stale u-smash can break a full shield

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Nice Darth, one of my favs is plat drop bair to up B while someone is shielding on the platform. Makes the shield break a bit easier.
yeah, upair>upb is not very reliable cuz theres some frames in between the moves that opponents can use to escape the impending shield break :c

Down and left or down and right. (for moves in general, you DI to the opposite way they are hitting you).

You can also DI up out of the first 2 or 3 hits but I find it much harder.

For the general discussion, I like using Samus a lot but I HATE the DK matchup and I am somewhat poor at the Yoshi matchup also. Any tips, can't stand the down b to giant punch.

In terms of matchups I like, I think Samus is even with Jiggs and is barely beating ness (like 55-45). I like those matchups as well.
i have come to notice that im pretty decent at getting out of samus' upb. what i do is i prety much slide di up and down on the right quadrants of the joystick. now, if only i could apply my hax di to other moves...

samus vs fox is a really fun matchup
i agree. i love playing foxs as samus, especially good ones. even tho thats prolly samus' worst matchup, i feel i get better afterwards. the trick is to avoid being at eye level against fox to avoid those shdl's and try to gimp as much as possible haha

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
what are samus' best options when hanging from a ledge?

ledgehop fair usually gets punished and ledgehop dair is situational.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can use ledgehop charge shots if they're staying out of your fair range, it's not too reliable though.

Maybe Felipe meant charge shot to turn yourself around -> jump -> bair, I actually kind of want to try that now lol. I don't think it'll be much better than ledgehop fair though.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Maybe Felipe meant charge shot to turn yourself around -> jump -> bair, I actually kind of want to try that now lol. I don't think it'll be much better than ledgehop fair though.
While the opponent is edgeguarding you? Fairly certain you'd get slaughtered.

Felipe's first option is best, ledgehop>up b *****, especially on dreamland where you can either land on the platform or fall through it. (From my experience noone ever expects you to fall through it.)

Top Bottom