• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Formula Finished | Working on data

SuSa

Banned via Administration
The point of this thread?

Find Brawl's Grab Formula to calculate each characters guarenteed amount of pummels at any %, then try to best organize the amount of pummels into exact brackets of guarenteed # of pummels. These pummels will not include the ability to throw, just pummel.

Big O's post confirming details and giving information related to the Grab Formula

Thank you Big O!

DDD Infinite Break Math Amazing Thread of Pwn
T-Block found this thread for me, and it pretty much contains everything I needed to create this thread. It also uses Reflex as the threshold for insanity of mashing at 0.87 inputs per frame off of this moment in the video. Unless you think you can break out of grabs that fast on average, that's our high-end extreme to gather the most accurate data possible.

Javascript Program used to find data. created by T-Block! Thanks a ton!

It's a simple web page that allows me to input the number of frames for a pummel and calculate it using the human extreme (Upper), the human average (Mid), and no human input (Lower). This allows me to create the data extremely fast!

Also thanks to Xeylode for creating a Microsoft Excel sheet that pretty much does the same exact thing, but can provide graphs. Once I discuss it with him we'll see what I can do with updating this with graphs of the data. :)

Important things to note:
  • You may only input 1 Button and 1 Analog Input per Frame and each input removes -8 frames, this means the total amount of frames that may be removed per frame is 16. | We will assume the highest human average is Reflex's at 0.87 inputs per frame.
  • Pummeling every 27 frames or faster makes it count as one move for stale moves. May be different for weak pummels (tested with DK who does 3% fresh). The reason it may be different is because weaker moves have less hitlag which may or may not affect how long you have to wait before it counts as multiple hits.

Okay, so with the information and knowledge I was given, the Grab Formula is the following:

Code:
Base = 90 Frames
D = Enemy Damage
Damage Multiplier = 1.7
F = Total number of frames to break out
H = Number of available frames to pummel
Input Multiplier + Inputs per frame = (8 * 2 * 0.87) = 13.92 = Rounded down to 13
X =Character Pummel Speed
Y = Number of Pummels

90 + (d * 1.7) = F
F / 13 = H
H / X = Y
Example if your opponent is at 140% and your pummel speed is 12 frames.

90 + (140 * 1.7) = F
90 + 238 = F
328 = F

328 / 13 = 25.23 = 25 (Rounded down)

25 / 12 = 2.08 = 2 (Rounded down)

So who's ready to finally get this formula down and benefit every character board?

PS:
Meta Knight has the slowest pummel speed of the cast. So you'd be helping every other board more. ;) If that's a motive... hahahaha

Yoshi - 20 Frame Pummel

Percent Brackets

High Input

0-98% 0 Pummels
99-250% 1 Pummel

Average Input

0-5% 0 Pummels
6-64% 1 Pummel
65-123% 2 Pummels
124-178% 3 Pummels
179-241% 4 Pummels
242-250% 5 Pummels

No Input

0-5% 4 Pummels
6-17% 5 Pummels
18-29% 6 Pummels
30-41% 7 Pummels
42-52% 8 Pummels
53-64% 9 Pummels
65-76% 10 Pummels
77-88% 11 Pummels
89-99% 12 Pummels
100-111% 13 Pummels
112-123% 14 Pummels
124-135% 15 Pummels
136-147% 16 Pummels
148-158% 17 Pummels
159-170% 18 Pummels
171-182% 19 Pummels
183-194% 20 Pummels
195-205% 21 Pummels
206-217% 22 Pummels
218-229% 23 Pummels
230-241% 24 Pummels
242-250% 25 Pummels

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, if this actually gets finished it'll be amazing.

Wow if you want to get into the SL then post an application in the application thread and include this+other stuff.

SuSa

All I need is for people to look into the formula for me... I can't update my SD card to do it accurately.

Methods to find formula:

1) Find pummel frames for 1 character [this will be your test character]
2) Grab opponent - count frames between grab contact and grab break
3) Grab opponent - pummel once - count frames between grab contact and grab break
4) Repeat Step 3, but with 2 pummels. Then 3 pummels. MAKE SURE TO WRITE DOWN THE NEW %'s

Find how much each % added to the grab frames. (This is why we are doing 3 different amounts of pummels)

This will tell us the Grab Base and if Pummels Add frames (which Kinzer has told me, from his findings, they do...)

To find out how many frames % adds (Damage Multiplier) Grab and let your opponent be released at different %'s. (I'd suggest start at 0%, go to 5% or until you find a pattern for sure)

Repeat the above tests, but with enemy input. First have them only input 1 input, and see how many frames less the grab is. Repeat this with more and more inputs until you find the variable.

Once we have these, we have the formula and I just need to grab the pummel frames for each character.

At least, this is my logical conclusion for testing the variables.

I think I'll be able to test this for ROB *gasp* if not today, tomorrow.

I'm writing stuff up for Kinzer.

SuSa

Test for ROB?

I don't need a character specific, I need a general formula to plug characters into. however, having the formula shown for one character is pretty much the same thing.

Thanks for any help if you're able to test and get results.

Writing stuff for Kinzer? :s

:093:

SuSa

Veril's still around? Thought he dieded.

Also, haven't seen that thread, but that's another reason for this thread... XD if the persons guarenteed 4 pummels before a grab, but they're actually only CG'ing you... you aren't getting out, no matter what.

That being said - after this information is made - IC's can start pummeling...AND CG'ING... =\ slower damage racking, less chance of messing up if you can remember the damage/pummel brackets....

SuSa

Kinzer got 75 frames for Sonic grabbing someone at 0%. (This was after subtracting 5 frames from the grab, his original post had said 80 frames), I figure their may have been an error and it actually is 76, not 75 frames.

That post seems to add 15 (or 10) frames to Kinzer's time.

I believe it's because Ref didn't subtract the grab frames from the actual time of the grab. Resulting in additional frames.

If this occured, it's very possible the actual # of additional frames per % is still 1.6, suggesting it's th same as Melee.

1.7 works out for the damage multiplier still if the base frames are 76 and not 90, if you subtract 14 from 600 and 107, than 76 and divide by 300 or 10 respectfully.

Meaning 1.7 may be the % modifier, but base frames are still up in the air.

T-block

B2B TST
Squirtle grabbing Ness at 0% with no struggle inputs has Ness release 90 frames after he enters the "grabbed" state. That's all I can remember atm...

SuSa

I still need 2 chars tested. If we get this, I can do all the formula..... pummels just add 1.7 frames per %, and since this game doesn't register fractions of frames, if I assume what was true in Melee is true in Brawl:

Since the game doesn't have fractions of a frame, it goes like this for every 5% an opponent receieves(and then the process/pattern continues). +2 frames, +2 frames, +1 frame, + 2 frames, + 1 frame.

If this is true, 5% = 8 frames.

300 / 5 = 60 * 8 = 480 + 90 (base) = 570... missing 30 frames from the 600 that was found.

Unless I'm forgetting something...

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Sup SuSa. Anyways I'm just gonna quickly point out a few things to help you out.

1) It is indeed 90 frames at 0%. I'm pretty sure this has been known forever though. It's buried around in some old thread. I think it had grab release in the thread title, but I don't feel like searching for it. The same thread also stated each button input counted as -8 frames. I think the game only recognizes one button input and one control stick input per frame though in my limited testing from way back. The fastest I was able to break out of a grab was 6 frames (at 0%) for reference.

2) If pummels really do add 1.7 frames per % (I remember looking into it a long time ago but i don't remember what the ratio was) , don't put 8/5 in your formula lol. Just to be clear 8/5 = 1.6 which explains why you were off by 30 frames since you were off by 0.1 and 0.1*300 = 30. Extrapolating from the growth at 5% gave you rounding error from rounding down. Early morning math sucks, but no johns lol.

3) Pummels do not extend the amount of time they have before breaking out (probably to fix wobbling but they have infinite cg's lol).

4) Pummeling every 27 frames or faster makes it count as one move for stale moves. May be different for weak pummels (tested with DK who does 3% fresh). The reason it may be different is because weaker moves have less hitlag which may or may not affect how long you have to wait before it counts as multiple hits.

5) Good to see you back man.

SuSa

Awesome, awesome, awesome Big O. You pretty much posted everything I needed.

1) Thank you for the confirmation. (*Glares at Kinzer for being so off* XD)

I also knew it was one input per frame, I was unsure about the number of frames removed. I'll trust you that it is indeed 8. If this is true however, we have an issue.... testing time!

Base: 90 frames @ 0%
Inputs = -8 Frames per input
Frames elapsed to Input: 6 frames

6 Inputs * 8 frames = 48 Frames subtracted from the base leaves you with 42 unaccounted for frames. Unless you were speaking about 1 button input + 1 stick input, which could account for the missing frames by allowing -16 frames per input.

This would mean:

90 Base
-16 frames per input
6 frames to allow input

6 * 16 = 96
96 > 90

This is also 1 extra input over, but that doesn't matter it'd occur on the same frame.

With this, I just confirmed for myself what you meant. :)

2) They don't, and woops.. that's what I get for using Melee referencing for the thread. ^^; Smooth move SuSa... smoooooth mooove....

3) So pummels don't add anything? :s

4) Awesome! <3

5) Glad to have you helping

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah you get -8 frames per input and up to 2 inputs are recognized per frame (1 button and 1 direction). If you press A and B at the same time, it only counts as -8. If you press A and press up on the joystick at the same time, it counts as -16. I'm not 100% sure, but I think diagonals also only counted as -8. C-stick behaves weirdly and is hard to test in frame by frame mode. I wouldn't be surprised if they subtract more time than other inputs or be used to subtract more than 16 in one frame.

SuSa

You didn't answer me about pummels... T_T I worked out that bit you just explained on my own....

I'll ignore C-stick until some research is done on it, I don't see it being able to add more frames past 16 however... if that's proven wrong, I can always rework the entire thread. XD

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Pummels don't add extra time. If you grab them at 0% and pummel them they will still break out in 90 frames if they don't press anything. I thought the q on point 3 was rhetorical lol.

SuSa

Okay, so I can remove pummels from my formula entirely. They don't matter, except for the speed of such pummel.

Now I just need to get someone (I'll see if I can do it) to look into the frame data for everyones pummels to make sure they line up with what EY has. Then I can work on a formula and do the 2800~+ calculations.

Better yet.

I'll find someone with programming knowledge to make me the easiest program ever. I'd do it myself but over the past 2 years my programming knowledge has dwindled down to practically nothing..

EDIT:

Late night maths is no better than early morning maths. Anyone want to double check my formula?

SuSa

Double post, but a HUUUUUUGE UPDATE.

I borrowed information from this thread and decided that Reflex's insane 0.87 inputs per frame would be a great high-end extreme for inputs to base this thread off of this moment in the video. Unless you think you can break out of grabs that fast on average.... hahahahaha

So far it looks like my formula works out realisticaly (I'd hope, it was borrowed from the other thread but modified to be easier to use...)

Now I just need a programmer willing to make the program to output these calculations for me..... then I could complete the data for the entire cast in a matter of minutes, and spend about an hour organizing the % groups. This would also allow me to collect data up to anything... I could go up to 999% if I wanted to, but I'll end it at 200% just to be realistic...

Anyone know a programmer? :x

All I need is a program to conduct the following formula, with some slight modifications.

• I need Enemy Damage to instead be a range of 0 to 250
  • I need to be able to input the Character Pummel Speed for each time I run the program.
  • I need the program to output the results found for the range of 0-250 (for what was mentioned above)

This is to save me from having to do over 7000 equations one-by-one, if a program can do 7000 equations in less than 10 seconds. :laugh:

Code:
Base = 90 Frames
D = Enemy Damage
Damage Multiplier = 1.7
F = Total number of frames to break out
H = Number of available frames to pummel
Input Multiplier + Inputs per frame = (8 * 2 * 0.87) = 13.92 = Rounded down to 13
X =Character Pummel Speed
Y = Number of Pummels (Rounded down)

90 + (d * 1.7) = F
F / 13 = H
H / X = Y (Rounded down)

OPTIONAL but I would be forever grateful....

If you can group the results to display in order for Y (EG: 0-43 = 1; 44-120 = 2; 121-200 = 3; 201-250 = 4; you would save me countless more hours of organizing the information. This is the 2nd part of what I'm using this for, and it's to find the # of pummels in a given % range. This is why I'm testing 0-250 to begin with. :bee:

[/color]

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I could possibly do it. Just outline exactly what you need it to do, and I might be able to cook up a java program to do it reasonably quickly.

SuSa

See the post above yours, forget about grouping I can just do that by glancing over the data... haha

Currently working on a batch program to do the math. Just need to figure out how to output the formula into a .txt... I'll just have to edit the frame data for a pummel each time I run it. =P Although I know I'm bound to make a mistake... XD

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So you need it to accept one input from the user (pummel speed), and output the results of the formula, run from damage values 1-250, and have it output to a file?

If that's all, I can cook that up tomorrow evening.

Edit: Organizing that is no problem.

SuSa

I need it to accept that one input, output the results, and run from damage values 0-250 (not 1-250) and have it output to a file. Yes.

I know it's extremely easy to do, my issue with doing it myself in batch right now is calculating the range and outputting it into a file. =P I'm trying to script-kiddy my way through this one if I can.. but someone who actually knows what their doing making me a program is far better.

EDIT:
I forgot how hard and impossible getting floating point numbers to work in batch really is... =| I'll just wait til tomorrow...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'll have you a simple program with a nice and Easy GUI that outputs to an easy to read file by tomorrow night, unless someone beats me to it, or something comes up.

SuSa

That works perfectly T-block... but the only issue is what me and Velox decided to work on.... >.< I actually decided to add one further variable, which is the ability to change what ends up being the amount of frames subtracted. (-8 * 2 * # of inputs per frame, 0.87, 0.37~ or 0.00)

Velox is doing it in MS Excel (lolwut? didn't even know you could) and we've decided on using 2 (possibly 3) different formula to get the most accurate results possible.

Formula 1 - Using 13 (Reflex's rate) as an upper limit
Formula 2 - Using 5 for an average rate. It seems to work realistically as such.
Formula 3 - Using no inputs to see how many pummels you can get if your opponent makes no attempt at struggling. (Since you can often hear them starting to mash out)

This means we have an upper limit, an average, and a lower limit to look at. Considering most people would only learn this for 1-2 characters if at all, they'd know how much they can push it - how much they should push it - and how much they should push it if facing Reflex.

T-block

B2B TST
Wanna hit me up with the formulae you're using?

Sounds like Velox got this, but I'm trying to learn Javascript, so this is good practice =x

SuSa

Same exact formula but 5 instead of 13, yep.

For 0 input just replace 5 with 0. It causes you to instead subtract no frames, and the base + damage frames is simply divided by pummels. ;)

EDIT:

So essentially F=H for the final formula. You just skip the whole thing so you aren't dividing by 0... haha... just realized what I was trying to do.... dividing by zero is not cool... :x

http://michaelcw.com/store/misc/grabrelease.html?pummelspeed=35

Oh, now, I know for sure that my microsoft spreadsheet is working properly. The only one up that my microsoft excel sheet can probably do better than this is that is saves everyone the work of having to shift through 250 calculations to figure out when 0 becomes 1 pummel, 1 pummel becomes 2, and so forth. Graphs of the pummels charted against percentages safes so much time doing that. I love microsoft excel now.

Or that final one is simply divide by one. Either = to each other or divide by one works.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah 1 would make a lot more sense. I just sorta plugged everything in naively lol, but it's all good now.

Anyways, I'll be looking forward to the results. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

SuSa

Thank you both for your help by the way, and again - early morning math johns. I just woke up 15 minutes ago... XD

Dividing by 1 would totally make more sense, and be easier to incorperate... haha....

Now I just need to get everyones proper pummel data... even the .pacs is too complicated to read (and says Squirtle has a 1 frame pummel? LOLOLOLOLOL WTF?)

Once I get the pummel speeds, I can start working on this...for now I guess I can do Yoshi's? I know it's 20 - another SR found it for him.. and I'm asking the researchers for help on finding the pummels real quick, since it shouldn't be overly hard or time consuming.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Bowser has a 27 frame pummel +/-1 frame

I got that figure when I didn't have NTSC brawl (thus no frame advance code), I'll confirm it's accuracy later today.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Ok, for those of you who care: Bowser actually has 2 pummel speeds: 28 and 27 frames.

When the pummel is completely fresh or there is one other pummel in the queue, Bowser's headbutt has an extra frame of hitlag.

On another note, it's impossible for Bowser NOT to refresh moves with his pummel, this is probably because of the interval between hits. That is also why ground-releases aren't guaranteed.

His pummel deals ~3.1% fresh and ~1.35% when completely stale. You can probably get more accurate numbers from the PSA.

SuSa

I've already proven practically that whole list wrong. =\ Thanks though Big-O

(See Bowser being 33? Now see above how he's 28/27?.... also Yoshi is 20, but isn't 20 on that list IIRC)

@Flayl

Oh, I hope other characters aren't like that... =| that adds a dent into the formula that may have significant impact (even if it's juuuust a few frames)

EDIT:

To be fair, I don't really want to conduct lists until most characters have been given to me... =\

Top Bottom