• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Musicians

MetalPat

Smash Ace
yeah man, I've been playin drums for 7 years and am actually in college now learning to score music for film/games as well as the business side of music :)

music theory is a *****

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
yeah man, I've been playin drums for 7 years and am actually in college now learning to score music for film/games as well as the business side of music :)

music theory is a *****
im in college for aviation right now, im dropping out to take pro audio engineering, i was like mom "i dont want to go to school anymore, i wan tto play music" and she was totally cool wiht it

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't play many games anymore, actually. Music is my life. Literally. And I'm actually studying it in college. I couldn't see myself doing anything else.

I think it's pretty obvious what instrument I play. I've "dabbled" on several other instruments.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
I don't play many games anymore, actually. Music is my life. Literally. And I'm actually studying it in college. I couldn't see myself doing anything else.

I think it's pretty obvious what instrument I play. I've "dabbled" on several other instruments.
what are you going to school for? orchestral performance? i would have LOVED to do that if i got into a classical school, sadly my percussion wasnt good enough, so i was lucky enough to go to school for drumset :D

the closest ill get to playing orchestral anymore will be conducting and composing :/

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
what are you going to school for? orchestral performance? i would have LOVED to do that if i got into a classical school, sadly my percussion wasnt good enough, so i was lucky enough to go to school for drumset :D
No, I'm not that great of a performer, although I do believe I could get there, I believe my role is as a teacher, so I'm going into Instrumental Music Education (when I finally get out of community college and can specify it further than Music that is. -_-).

Of course, I love performing, but lets face it, the career I'm going for is a bit more reliable.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Of course, I love performing, but lets face it, the career I'm going for is a bit more reliable.
if you can get the money you should dual major. it would help alot. take the first 2-5 years out of college to try to get some good performance jobs while going for your masters, if nothing falls through when you get the masters degree, go for teaching :)

its another year maybe 2 years if you fail a class, but IMO its totally worth it. thats what im doin (dualing majors, not the actual major itself)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm going to go ahead and move this to the media metropolis. Music discussion usually goes there :)

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
MetalPat, I like your sig.

But yeah, gitarist/drummer over here. There was a time that I wanted a career in music, but after a while I figured I wouldn't like it as a job, so I just kept it as a hobby.

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman

yeah my life is totally different now, i used to be into aviation but my real passion is playin the blues lmao

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
heads up, get ready for a life full of no gigging >_> honest to god.
youd be surprized, and btw i live in NYC so its not that hard haha

and its not that hard because there are alot of blues bars in the city. i got a full band already and weve been doing gigs so im good

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That's pretty nice. I'm not a particularly good blues player, but I love listening to it and playing some of the more basic blues stuff. Little Sunflower is the best jamming song ever made and it will remain that way for eternity, as far as I'm concerned. I guess it leans a bit more towards Jazz than Blues, though.

I play guitar, by the way. Usually classical, but I'm not one of those classical playing snots who swears by the style and looks down on everybody who's ever used a pick ever. There are too many of those, from my experience :(

MetalPat

Smash Ace
agreed, classical players are kinda like jazz holes. if you don't play like they play, you aren't a musician.

i dont have anything against classical or jazz, just those types of players who look down because you play whats modern and changing with the times >_>

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Oh gosh, I used to be a classical snob - for a short time. But I'm not such an elitist anymore... (On the other hand I still dislike people saying that classical is outdated, and that we should "get with the times". Just wrong. Classical is a very diverse genre (and some of it is very awesome) and should always stick around. I like having a variety of music!)

I've opened up my mind and appreciate many other genres, even modern ones. I love fusion and experimental genres the most, because they're just so interesting. If I had the ability I'd do such genres myself, but... I can barely even compose music for Music Theory classes. lol

Olikus

Smash Champion
I play electric guitar for 7 years now. Played Piano and a bit bass before that. Like to play anything, but mostly jazz, cus actually its the easiest one to make gigs with.At least for me. And imo you disvover so much about your guitar while playing jazz. Have had some lessons with Staffan William Olsson if any1 is aware of him.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Drummer for 3 years now/Vocalist for 1.5, mostly rock, screamo (sorry), and metal. I definitely wish I was more of a fan of jazz and blues, but it's just not me. :ohwell: I suppose that's what I get from learning to play by listening to screamo, punk, and evil by ear. With the singing, I'm pretty average, I've heard I'm a good screamer though, but idk with that.

I've been trying to get something going band-wise, but I just can't get a decent original thing going on a college campus where everybody wants covers of famous ballads and pop songs :(. I hope I can actually get something started though, there's so much talent around Penn State.

:036:

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
Drummer for 3 years now/Vocalist for 1.5, mostly rock, screamo (sorry), and metal. I definitely wish I was more of a fan of jazz and blues, but it's just not me. :ohwell: I suppose that's what I get from learning to play by listening to screamo, punk, and evil by ear. With the singing, I'm pretty average, I've heard I'm a good screamer though, but idk with that.

I've been trying to get something going band-wise, but I just can't get a decent original thing going on a college campus where everybody wants covers of famous ballads and pop songs :(. I hope I can actually get something started though, there's so much talent around Penn State.

:036:
it shouldnt be too hard, honestly, i used craigslist to find my guitarist and hes amazing. you should post up and add for your area and see what happens. i dont prefer screamo and metal, but i play it for laughs sometimes, and use heavy distortion.

btw everyone, my guitar input jack yesterday, im mad! now all i got is my harmonicas

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Yeah...rapper here.
white rapper.
I've actually tried to dabble in other genres(I'm taking guitar lessons and have written very basic rock riffs), but I seem mostly to be a good rapper.
Also, middle school tuba player for two years, where i earned the "most improved" award, thank you very much.
I hate the tuba and will never touch one again.

ConF1ictz

Smash Journeyman
Whoever is insterested and thinks they can hit it big, i started my own record label. im looking for all types of musicians to work with. pm for details, im serious about this

Top Bottom