• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Community House

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I think some people are already trying to kill me

Let's do some history here:

The United States is a democracy that is best kept in balance to avoid tyranny and dictatorships. It is a government based on 3 branches, which each having checks and balances over eachother.

In a sense, we currently have something very similar.

We have half of the Legislative Branch - the BBR.
These are the people whom makes the laws and the rules in which the community uses.

We have the Judicial Branch - the TO's in a sense.
TO's have the final say over the rules in which their community will use. Currently, this is their only power.

The executive branch cannot be placed into the hands of any one individual, and having it be a practicality in the Smash world would almost be laughable.

But something that can be practically added is a House of Representatives. These people would be voted by the community to represent their communities. They do not need to be high level players, capable of making it into the BBR. They just have to be able to honestly represent the area in which they reside. If we do this in local levels - this would almost be similar to the judges whom create each regions PR list.

I'll quote myself from another thread:
The only flaw with that logic, is the BBR practically controls what the game is. The community can branch off to do their own things, but when we hold nationals it puts people at disadvantages because there is no standard for playing. People need some sort of standard so they don't stray to far from it, otherwise there is chaos. So because the BBR has control of what the game is they can morph it to fit themselves the best. What will keep them in control of the game? The direction it goes? What benefits them best? I'm not saying every BBR member has this mentality, but it's natural human greed. They are in a position of power and it's making them money. They want to naturally keep this positition and continue to make money. Correct? This is the major flaw I see with the BBR and why major changes are sometimes not enacted, despite popularity or the reasoning behind it. Even despite that half of the BBR actually agrees with the community (which if we treated this like the Legislative branch of the US.... this could mean we'd win the vote...)

I honestly think that's how major issues need to be decided. With an elected Senate and an elected House. One is the BBR which is elected by the BBR themselves. The other is a large collective of people whom are representatives of their region/state voted by their region/state and votes on the manner that best interests their community. This causes some checks and balances between those in power.
Currently TO's have a check over the BBR, because they have the final say in the rules. The balance is the amount of standardization that is required to make Nationals run unbiased with rulesets. Having vastly different rulesets from region to region would make playing in tourneys in other regions much harder for people! Imagine playing in a tournament scene with no Meta Knight and no infinites - then going and playing in a large tournament where both Meta Knight and infinites are allowed. Your not used to these rules, or fighting MK, so you lose.

That is the BBR's check over TO's in a sense. While not direct, it holds power of the TO's final say, because a TO can hurt their region if they stray to far from the standard ruleset.

With the addition of a Community House, TO's and their community now have the power to elect people to speak for their community and their views. This will cause petty player-vs-player arguments over major issues, as instead the representatives would argue their points together, in a more civilized manner. This allows regions to have better communication with eachother, and how each region runs.

So TO's and the region they host for have the power to control their representative(s) in the Community House. They have the power to elect and impeach their representative(s).

These representatives should have a large impact in the BBR's decisions, and must agree with a majority vote to finalize said decisions created by the BBR. However, if the BBR is able to come to a 3/4ths majority vote - they can reverse the veto. This is to keep either group from abusing their power to have a say in how things run. This leaves larger decisions that are unable to be agreed on by the BBR to be worked out between the communities which make up the larger percentage of players and the community.

If the communities can start agreeing to work with eachother, rather than independantly work with the BBR (or not...) than the community may grow and nurture as a whole.

This is by no means meant to be an immediate fix to a problem. It will take time to organize, there will need to be decisions on if each region should have equal representation of a certain number of reps. or if it should instead be based on average tournament attendance, allowing larger communities to have a larger say so. However, having both would defeat the purpose of this House - seeing as it would further divide and make decisions take longer to enact, harder to get a majority, ETC. So it will be up to the community whether equality or population should have the say in things.

This will require the BBR to cooperate and willingly lower their power and hold over the community. I will expect the most hate about this idea coming from them.

The Smash Community is ran like a government, with the BBR at it's center. It has proven to be inefficient at times, unfair at others, and it is never to late to enact a change to better our community.

So what are your thoughts?

$10 says a BBR comes in here saying something along the lines of "lolno"

I'm soooooo dead meat right now. :093:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The smash community does not = the US government. I don't even know how you can make that comparison.

If you truly have a problem with how things are ran JV is the person you need to talk to. He is in charge of the BBR and smashboards. TO's will always control how they run their tournaments however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom