• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
DotA 2 is like DotA except more awesome and currently with less content. It's in closed beta and the only way to get in is through an invite, and your best shot at getting one aside from the steam hardware survey on the DotA 2 blog, is looking for various DotA 2 giveaway contests.

If you have access, there's an swf chat channel in game you can join.

Useful Links:
DotA 2 Blog
Fan made Stats site
NBA Jam killstreak pack
Custom Game Web Browser

Alphabetical list of SWF members with DotA 2 access:

AdumbroDeus
Cinbad
DanGR
Doomblaze
Faithkeeper
FlutterRAGE
Gifts
Heavy Garbage
Ignatius
JaceComix
Lawlb0t
MeatIsMurder
Miharu
PantyRaider08
Ryker.
Sinz
Sonic the Baron
SUNG666
Sveet
Turazrok
Wezai

If you wish to be added to this list, all you need to do is post a nicely formatted link of your steam ID with your smashboards name.

This post is kept up to date. For realz.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
DotA-Allstars' roster of 100+ heroes is being brought over in its entirety. The single map games take place on is functionally identical to the one that you can download for free today in the Warcraft III mod. Items, skills, and upgrade paths are unchanged. Some hero skills work slightly better due to being freed from the now-ancient Warcraft III engine, but Dota 2 will be instantly familiar to any DotA player.
Quoted from the article. Techies isn't as bad as he used to be, he does have a very niche use though. He's used in a push lineup, not to push towers with his landmines, but to plant defensive mines so his team can continue to push a lane.

Unless you're playing a pub, where you can just rush an ult improver and drop around 2 750 damage AoE nukes in a team fight which is a pretty big deal.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'll be pickin this up, methinks. Hopefully it keeps DotA's bright colours and vastly different models to make characters easily distinguishable.

Miharu

Smash Hero
**** yes, this is amazing win.

I have such high hopes for this game competitively; the best part of it all is that it will hopefully reunite the high level players that went over to HoN/LoL for one reason or another. The coaching system has great potential as well, since the absurdly high learning curve and overall ****ty attitude of the community is one of the things that limits people from breaking their own individual plateaus and jumping from one skill level to the next.

Can't wait till release day.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
I applied for a job at Valve. If I work on this, I'm going to make a champion named Ignatius. True story.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I had to leave DotA because of the horrible community. It got to the point where even friends I had known for years were cussing me out for the stupidest ****.

But... It might be time to give DotA another chance. Any word on a speculated release date?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I had to leave DotA because of the horrible community. It got to the point where even friends I had known for years were cussing me out for the stupidest ****.

But... It might be time to give DotA another chance. Any word on a speculated release date?
Okay. This online community thing is kind of stupid. I've been reading on HoN forums and in other forums that LoL has a terrible community. Then I read other places that HoN has a terrible community. Then I read again that Dota has a terrible community. When will people understand that any online game with anonymousness is going to have a bad community.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Okay. This online community thing is kind of stupid. I've been reading on HoN forums and in other forums that LoL has a terrible community. Then I read other places that HoN has a terrible community. Then I read again that Dota has a terrible community. When will people understand that any online game with anonymousness is going to have a bad community.
Well, the DotA community is known for being especially unmannered as online communities go.

But if your friends start cussing you out for trivial ****, then they probably weren't very good friends to begin with.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
No, you don't understand what I mean. It was bad. I'd leave some games feeling like I needed to turn off my computer and bleach my soul. It wasn't quite omnipresent, but it got pretty close. A good amount of that is probably caused by how easy it is to rage while playing DotA, but the fact remains that it had a significant negative impact on the enjoyability of the game, and it's the only game I've ever given up on because of it's community.

You may be right about my friend Miharu, but I think the nature of the game made a big contribution. I actually met this guy in Starcraft a few years before, and he was a pretty chill guy, then a bunch of us migrated over to WC3. After that it started to get worse and worse.

Miharu

Smash Hero
It's due to the nature of the game, and how one link can easily bring a team down, whether its in a public game, inhouse league, scrim, or match.

Also at one point or another, DotA tends to bring out the worst in people.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I just wanted to bring up my displeasure that the DotA2 blog hasn't been updated in 6 months, and I fear that this game will come out at around the same time as Episode 3.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Bumping this topic, since there's finally some new information confirmed.

http://dota2.com/

The international tournament that has been rumored via leaks for weeks is finally confirmed on DotA2.com. 16 teams will be playing at Gamescom, and we'll finally get to see some gameplay, I am super excited.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Supposedly iG (formerly CCM) are the favorites to win.

It'd be nice to see one of the non-Asian teams pulling out a win though, especially the ones with North American players on them (namely MYM and Ok.Nirvana).

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I applied for a job at Valve. If I work on this, I'm going to make a champion named Ignatius. True story.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
All I can say so far is that this is amazing. My link with Dota2 is nice. :) You all will LOVE dota2

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"

Mota

YEAA it's up, but nothing happening!

****ING START ALREADY!! ARGHRTG SJTG

Mota

Tell me about it :(
Lag on the stream every 10 secs.

Tiny pwning it :D

Impressions of DotA 2?

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Looks like it plays exactly like DotA, which is what they said they'd do. I'm content.

And those were some pretty amazing lion tosses by that Tiny, that top towerdive where everyone got away was pretty great too.

Also did you click the live scoreboard? Because that is amazing.

Mota

Yea visually it's pretty good as well, but now that I think about it, it looks a lot like LoL graphics -_-

Sven design isn't too flash though. WOW the live score board is amazing!!!

Looks like IG ain't out of this yet. Weaver getting a triple kill and good farm

EDIT: Still no English stream

Miharu

Smash Hero
nirvana.int performing much better than i had expected

otherwise i really like what they've done with the overall look of the game; it looks crisp and clean

tonight's matches should be good

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Im crazy ****ing hyped for dota2. I watched 4 of todays replays on youtube.

Im so happy about the direction of this game.

I agree iggy, its exactly what we wanted with brawl:

The only changes are making the game better and not changing the gameplay itself at all. They even kept the unreal announcer which made me goosh in my pants when i heard him.

This game might actually be perfect.

:phone:

Mota

I'm not even bothering with the stream anymore, too laggy. Just gonna Youtube it :)

The visuals have grown on me, it does seem pretty good to me.

If I had to nit pick:

I'd say some of the choices for the voices are urgh. Puck didn't talk in DotA, now she's all high pitched and annoying. After every Illu Orb saying "Here I am" :urg:
Windrunners model is alright, but the voice doesn't match the face. WR looks 25 yro+. but the voice actor makes her sound like she's 14 and stupid blond ditzy...Love Redheads XD
Although I did find her line at 27:10 amusing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSIgW4l0eyU

Sad that Storm Spirit isnt a Panda anymore. I like the new ES model, but the Tauren will always have a place in my heart <3

Maybe I'm just used to War3 DotA, but in big team fights, it's harder to make out everything that's goin on due to the increased detail when compared to War3. Probs get accustomed to it in time.

Dire is okay, but Radiant? There's already an item called Radiance...why call one side Radiant? Sounds stupid.

Says "Dire/Radiant has killed a tower" instead of "destroyed" :p

Water doesn't move when walked upon (Still in Beta though)

I've always had an issue with Roshan being more on the Dire/Scourge side. I feel it gives them an advantage.

Overall though, I'm loving it.
MYM :(

Top Bottom