• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nova Scotia Ruleset (Is looking for some input)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ok, this post is gonna serve two purposes.

1) As something people can read when BPC namedrops "Nova Scotia" in every topic where stage legality/policy comes up.

2) I'm looking for input on a few ideas I'm trying out at a tourney soon.

Note: This topic is NOT a place to argue stage philosophy in general. HOWEVER, as I am looking for input on a few controversial stages, it will inevitably come up. Just please, TRY to stay away from philosophy and more specific to individual, concrete issues with the stages that will be discussed.

And without further adieu, the ruleset.
General Rules
-------------
3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets are best 2 of 3 matches. Bracket Finals and Grand Finals are Best 3 of 5.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. In teams, each players stock/percent is added together.

* Resolving Ties: If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by ONE ROUND of Rock-Paper-Scissors. In teams, controller ports shall be used in a 1221 fashion.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Meta-Knight is banned. He may not be selected under any circumstances unless BOTH players agree to his use. Shenanigans in tricking new players into allowing it will not be tolerated, you must clearly inform your opponent that he is banned, then request to use him.

* Stalling is banned.
Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%.

* Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. If the Tournament Organizer or a judge can conclusively determine the player responsible for the failure, that player loses the interrupted game. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

Set Format
----------
1. Opponents make their character select screen choices for the first match, DOUBLE BLIND PICKS OPTIONAL.

2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.

The stage striking order changes depending on the number of stages allowed. When reading this order, “1” is player 1 and “2” is player 2. The optimal striking orders are as follows:

9 Stages: 1-1-1-2-2-2-2-1 (Read: Player 1 strikes 3, P2 strikes 4, then P1 picks the last stage)

3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.

4. The winner of the previous match announces his 2 stage bans.

5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.

6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.

7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

Stage List

Starter

Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Final Destination
Halberd
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 2

Counterpick

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Green Greens
Distant Planet
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

The most important things to note are of course:

1) MK is banned.
2) Very liberal stagelist.

Ok, that's Purpose 1 taken care of, which is to provide reference material.

On to purpose 2, which is the input I'm looking for.

As I'm sure many of you know, I'm a proud supporter of the "Innocent until proven guilty" concept. With that in mind, at our next tournament, coming up November 20th, I am holding a side event, which is the "Borderline Banned and Custom Stages" event. The purpose of this event is to test the waters with a couple dubious counterpicks, and see how feasible implementing custom stages is for our scene.

Now, with that said, here are the customs I am currently considering, the majority of which I pulled from the Cat5 submissions topic, and the old topic we had on Customs.

Equity - By Overswarm

Abyss - By Overswarm

Libra - By Overswarm

Lesser Stairway - By Crow!

Trigonal Planar OR Perovskite - Both by Crow!

Skyscraper Peak - By Niddo

Isolation - By Niddo

MicroCarousel - By prOPAC, modified by Crow!

Foxhole Atheist - By Sunshade

Ironfield - By MikeKirby

Hill - By Luxor

Dreamland 64 - by Krazyzyko

Underworld - By Krazyzyko

Now, with that out of the way, I'm looking for suggestions for how to organize these custom stages, and I'm always welcoming of new stages to try out.

Stages from REGULAR BRAWL that will be CPs for this event include:

Mario Circuit
Skyworld
Green Hill Zone
Onett

REMEMBER, THIS IS NOT FOR A PHILOSOPHY ARGUMENT. THIS TOPIC ASSUMES MY PHILOSOPHY, AND FOCUSES SPECIFICALLY ON THESE STAGES AND THEIR QUALITIES.

For Reference: WHERE IS NOVA SCOTIA?

We're the blue one, farthest East.

Browny

Smash Hater
Has much testing been done on those stages with slopes regarding sonic and DK? Im guessing they are both able to abuse their invincible side/upb respectively on every one which might kind of centralise gameplay, foxhole atheist especially looks like it has potential to end up like this.

Also does lesser stairway stop moves like spindash, wolf fsmash from going up it?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Holy crap, two of my stages were chosen, I feel special!

I'll be honest and say that I'm expecting those four stages from regular Brawl to be banned. Too much abusable stuff on those stages, except maybe Mario Circuit.

My two stages were meant to be neutrals IIRC, though I'd have to look more closely at your other chosen stages to see if they should remain that way. I suspect Isolation at least should be.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Good questions. I haven't really done a TON of testing with any of the customs, just some baselines stuff. If you guys can find issues, please let me know, and they may be re-considered.

Also, if anything, Skyworld seems like it isn't that bad with no MK.

However, I make all these tests with the explicit challenge for my players to find something broken. If nobody can, then I usually go ahead with it.

Do keep in mind that this side event is SPECIFICALLY for testing this business.

Also, I really like Isolation, Niddo, it's a great stage. I suspect it will be one of the starters.

@ Browny, just tested the Wolf F-Smash and Sonic Spindash, they both work fine.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Skyworld has the whole "break the bottom floor, and then stage spike off of the still intact top floor" issue. I really don't like how that becomes a huge focus if the stage ends up in that situation. It's not just MK, though MK does it the best. I mean, just imagine Snake in that situation. Utilt and explosives all become that much more dangerous within that area. Guess you'll see how it plays out though.

I hope you get some footage, particularly of the custom stages. Really curious to see how those play out in actual tournaments.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Custom stages getting tested. Bless your soul. Hill made it too.

I'm kind of iffy on YI:M, actually. I haven't heard a definitive verdict on D3 or Pika's CGs up the right slope. The ceiling is also the lowest of any (sometimes) legal stage in the game (I just did a project on this). Combined with how his grab works on the slope, lack of an offstage to be abused on, and his ridiculous Usmash with that ridiculous roof... tell me if it turns out that it's a bit too ridiculous.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well, IMO, this is how you should set up the custom stage/borderline stage side event.

Starters:
Equlity
Abyss
Libra
Isolation
Foxhole Atheist
Hill
Dreamland 64

Counter Pick:
Lesser Stairway
Perovskite
Sky Scraper Peak
MicroCarousel
Ironfield
Underworld
Mario Circuit
Skyworld
Green Hill Zone
Onett

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Strong CP is not a reason to ban a stage. Come on now Luxor. (Unless you're looking at 90-10 or greater vs. the entire cast or something ********. Or degenerate tactics.)

Uhh, Niddo, Lesser Stairway isn't hacked.

Also, I'll almost certainly be using 9+ starters.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Whoops, thought it was. I went back through the submissions topic and saw him mention something about not realizing the no hacked stages rule.

I needs my sleep. :D

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I assume the side event to test these stages is going to be just that, a side event which is more about gathering data as a side event and less about seeing that the best player wins. If you want to ensure maximum play on every stage, why not just call out the stages used per round and only worry about character picking? Like round 1 is on Onett, Libra, and Ironfield for everyone in the event. That way you get a lot of play with a lot of different characters on stages in a controlled manner without needing to make presumptions about how they play out. You can then later go back and say "okay, that stage was trash" or "that stage had a lot of good games on it" and not have the cases where people just stick to a small number of stages that are "safe".

So far this thread has been staying on track. That's a good thing for sure!

sunshade

Smash Ace
Trigonal Planar, Perovskite, Skyscraper, and Isolation all strike me as at risk for circle stall.

I would recommend that you add Ironfield, Hill, Abyss, Equity, and Underworld to the stage list above all others. They each have a unique stage design which does not draw extreme focus onto one point.

Lesser Stairway, Foxhole Atheist, and MicroCarousel are all acceptable as counterpicks but are much more focused on a single element of gameplay than the other custom stages.

I would discourage Dreamland 64 (just say you are not allowed to strike battlefield, it will achieve the exact same thing), and Libra (it plays in a nearly identical manner as battlefield and offers nothing unique).

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Just whizzed through, will look over more in-depth later... that skyscraper stage is very, very questionable due to the moving platforms on the side.
I don't see a reason as to why that would make the stage questionable. O_o

Trigonal Planar, Perovskite, Skyscraper, and Isolation all strike me as at risk for circle stall.
Only if scrooging is allowed I would imagine. I don't even see it at all on Skyscraper or Trigonal Planer. Persovkite would be very difficult to do so in.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You should change the title because nobody lives in Novia Scotia (nor does anyone know where that is).

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I actually REALLY like that idea, AA. I think I'll probably do that.

@BPC, not sure what you mean.

@Sunshade, I'm curious as to where you think the circle stalling is enabled. Elaborate.

@ADHD, Have some class, man. ****ing google it. It's named dropped as 'Nova Scotia ruleset" all the time, so that's what the thread will be called.

@Niddo, Regarding scrooging, if that becomes a problem, I can always just block the underside of the stage.

Life

Smash Hero
@what ADHD started:

I'm an American, I don't think I've ever left the country in my life. Upon reading these last few posts, I stood up, walked for about two seconds towards a map-poster-thing I have, and it took me literally about half a second to locate Nova Scotia. Bad stereotypes are bad.

Otherwise, I like this thread.

sunshade

Smash Ace
The reason I said those 4 stages are potentially at risk for circle stall was that each has a very similar design to either hannenbow or 75mm.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Eh? I don't see it. You're going to have to clarify a path for me here. I can't see ANY way you could do it on Isolation, and perovskite/TP seem unlikely as well. Skyscraper MAYBE.

Luxor

Smash Champion
I'm not opposed to YI:M totally, but might put it in the Mario Kart/Onett tier myself. It needs testing, in any case; it's fine as it is, but I'm still wary. Definitely not banworthy until it starts to be abused at least, and even then we'd have to wait and see.

My input on side tourney list:
Starters:
Equlity
Abyss
Libra
Isolation
Foxhole Atheist
Hill
Dreamland 64
Lesser Stairway
Perovskite
Sky Scraper Peak
MicroCarousel
Ironfield
Underworld
Mario Circuit
Skyworld
Green Hill Zone
Onett

Slightly more practical input on starters:
Starters:
Equity
Abyss
Hill
Libra
Ironfield
Dreamland 64
Underworld

CPs:
Isolation
Foxhole Atheist
Lesser Stairway
Perovskite
Sky Scraper Peak
MicroCarousel
Mario Circuit
Skyworld
Green Hill Zone
Onett

Circle stalling would be an issue on a bunch of these IF MK was allowed. With him gone, all that's left is Wario/low tiers that don't go for timeouts that really should (JIGGS). Skyscraper peak/Onett seem to be the only potential offenders. They're both fine 'til tested, though.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No problem.

I still don't see how Skyscraper Peak can have a circle camping problem though. ;_; The platforms should be low enough that you just hit them, making no worse than "circle camping" on Battlefield...just with platforms off stage. >_> <_<

At least that was my goal when deciding how low the platforms should be: not so low that you can use almost any move and hit the guy up top, but low enough you can easily hit them after a jump.

ADHD

Smash Hero
To be honest, alot of those custom stages look very bad except for Dreamland 64. Slopes? Stairs? Do you realize that whoever is lower on the slope gains an extreme advantage? This is brawl, you can't say whoever is in that advantageous position deserved it when things happen like snap-snap. If you don't believe me you can watch a match played on those stages. You're also entering an area completely foreign and untested, so if you are going to use them, do not just shove them in your ruleset randomly.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You've got to be terrible at Brawl to think it's an "extreme" advantage. Man, what do you call hanging around by a walk-off if a slope is an "extreme" advantage? Why don't I see people camp the slope on say the first tier of Castle Siege? Or other stages with slopes?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
What part of

SIDE EVENT
do you continue to miss?

I don't think I could make it much clearer. This is a free (or like $1, haven't decided yet) event SEPARATE FROM THE MAIN BRACKET/POOLS dedicated SPECIFICALLY to testing out these stages in a tournament environment.

Edit: This was directed at ADHD.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You've got to be terrible at Brawl to think it's an "extreme" advantage. Man, what do you call hanging around by a walk-off if a slope is an "extreme" advantage? Why don't I see people camp the slope on say the first tier of Castle Siege? Or other stages with slopes?
Well they should, snake can. Do you know how aggravating it is when you're on Yoshi's Island and you're trying to fight Metaknight when he's slightly below you? It is a very good position to be in at that instance--and when the slopes are so centered, it's going to be unintentional when either player is on one.
@ Raziek: Okay.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I've always supported the use of custom stages in competitive Brawl - in this case [just by looking at it] Overswarm's stages and the new DL64 seem to be the only ones fit for competitive Brawl though [at least in my eyes of "competitive" Brawl]. Being a vocal anti-banner in the MK issue it goes without saying that I strongly disagree with this ruleset but that's not the point of the topic. However, I'd just like to remind that - in case you ban MK only because of planking or scrooging - turning on food [low] is a great solution for a region that approves of a generally more liberal rule set.

:059:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well they should, snake can. Do you know how aggravating it is when you're on Yoshi's Island and you're trying to fight Metaknight when he's slightly below you? It is a very good position to be in at that instance--and when the slopes are so centered, it's going to be unintentional when either player is on one.
@ Raziek: Okay.
I still can not think of a single time there has been slope camping on Halberd, Castle Siege, Yoshi's Island, Rainbow Cruise, Lylat Cruise, PS2, ect. The only time I can think of one is on Distant Planet, and that's largely because of the platform right above it. If this isn't a commonly used strategy, there is a good reason for it. In this case, namely because it's "advantage" is most likely so minor that it doesn't matter.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I wouldn't go THAT far Niddo.

Approaching over the hill on Hill or Ironfield is difficult. It's not impossible, but you're certainly at a disadvantage. It's not as bad as ADHD claims, but it's also not as minor as you make it out to be.

@Dark Horse

Nova Scotia is the Blue one on the far right, Maine is just below New Brunswick, which is slightly West of NS.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
How big is the smash scene in Nova Scotia, anyway? Is it enough for there to be some significant results?

Top Bottom